Giraffe calf

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Jutath
Pet Score:2692
Realm:Hyjal-us
Giraffe calf

Post by Jutath » September 27th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Hey guys/gals I have been after the giraffe calf, but anytime I fly over on a flight path I see them, but when flying back to their spot there is nothing to be found, so I was wondering if they are phased or what?

Johannus
Top Rater
Pet Score:3515
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Re: Giraffe calf

Post by Johannus » September 27th, 2012, 8:56 pm

It's just super rare, it took me 2 hours of pathing around Southern Barrens to find my first one, and it was poor quality. Lucked out and my second one I found 20 minutes later was rare :D

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » September 27th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Jutath wrote:Hey guys/gals I have been after the giraffe calf, but anytime I fly over on a flight path I see them, but when flying back to their spot there is nothing to be found, so I was wondering if they are phased or what?
Sometimes on a flight path you go cross realm (crz). I've seen my game time change and then change back along a flight path, showing I must have changed servers. So it could be that, or it could be someone else got the pet. It's also possible stuff is phased depending on what quests you've done, I don't know.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Elion

Post by Elion » September 30th, 2012, 8:29 am

I found four this morning at around 8:30 AM server time. Two seemed to be close to the area of an adult giraffe and were both in the pockets at the bottom of hills north of Ruins of Taurajo. Two were walking with adult giraffes in the area south of Desolation Hold to the west of Bael Modan.

Mairin
Top Rater
Pet Score:3202
Realm:Blade's Edge-us

Post by Mairin » October 2nd, 2012, 9:53 am

Once again CRZs are the bane of existance ;)

I found 2 this morning (probably around 2-3 PST, both were poor quality) but after checking for an hour or so each day these are the first I've come across.

Zyndra
MVP
Pet Score:6804
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Zyndra » October 2nd, 2012, 10:07 am

I spent almost 24 hours straight trying to get a rare quality Giraffe Calf. What I observed was the calf never spawned with any static/stationary mobs. They only spawned with the roaming packs, sometimes it was roaming Dusthoof Giraffe, but most of the time it was a pack of Barrens Giraffe.

Evidently the packs share a spawn rate with the roaming packs of gazelle. Kill those packs and the giraffe packs will spawn more.

Edit: One more thing. A couple of times I did find a calf by itself, but this was only when near those annoying lions that kill anything that crosses their path, so I assume the pack it was roaming with was murdered! Bad lions!!

Happy hunting!

Kalium
Top Rater

Post by Kalium » October 2nd, 2012, 4:03 pm

I got lucky on this one... kill all the critters that are not battle pets... seems to force the spawn. I got mine north of the ruined camp in those low hills... there was a group of animals I started to kill them all with aoe and saw a battle pet pop in the middle of it. I rushed over and captured 'Felix' right away.

Neyred
Top Rater
Pet Score:8019
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Neyred » October 4th, 2012, 1:05 pm

Just wanted to post what worked for me.

I stayed in one area of the northern barrens. To be more specific, near the road to Mulgore. I killed all mobs that were not giraffes and all battle pets.

Eventually, a battle pet will spawn with one of the giraffes. I managed to spawn 2 within an hour of each other this way.

Good luck

Savo72
Pet Score:7192
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Savo72 » October 4th, 2012, 1:18 pm

I've hit SB after two server restarts and was by no means fast getting back on. I found there are roughly 8-12 Giraffe Calf at that time. I've still not found a rare.

Mairin
Top Rater

Post by Mairin » October 4th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Savo72 wrote:I've hit SB after two server restarts and was by no means fast getting back on. I found there are roughly 8-12 Giraffe Calf at that time. I've still not found a rare.
I was the same way, I'd been clearing the scourged whelps on another alt then did a giraffe check on a whim. I was curious if maybe they'd upped the numbers or something because it's the first time I'd seen THAT many up at once even with others looking.

Snowyjoe
Pet Score:2540
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Snowyjoe » October 7th, 2012, 12:57 pm

The day after MoP went live, I went straight to barrens and started farming for the Giraffe Calf.

I spent around 2 hours flying back and forth in Southern Barrens and found 2.

The first one I found was roaming by itself near the Thunderbluff gates, the second one I found was roaming with it's family near the alliance settlement in the south.

Mairin
Top Rater

Post by Mairin » October 7th, 2012, 1:30 pm

As above, I did my post-restart scourged whelp search (finally got my rare, yay !) and then decided to look into the giraffe situation and found a dozen spawns up again.

Jutath
Pet Score:2692
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Jutath » October 7th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Got myself a common calf this morning after the restart, but only saw 4 of them up total. The three others were poor so I am happy about the common.

Nesaiya
MVP
Pet Score:3579
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Nesaiya » October 7th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Been farming this guy all day! Found three, but they were all poor. Probably will keep farming till at least uncommon/rare quality.

Mairin
Top Rater

Post by Mairin » October 8th, 2012, 4:37 am

Originally I'd thought that since these were coming up mostly poor that it was just a small sample size but as I've tried more and more (and so have others above) this pet still seems to have a strange bias towards lower quality.