Pet zones?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Tolken
Pet zones?

Post by Tolken » October 5th, 2012, 1:09 pm

I am very new to pet battling. I was wondering if there is an area on this site that just tells the wild pets for each level and zone. For example pet levels 7-9 are in Stranglethorn. Just the ones that are are achievable through pet battle though? I have searched the site and found things that are close.

Tadedra
Pet Score:7267
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Re: Pet zones?

Post by Tadedra » October 5th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Hi, Welcome

Under the tools there is a Filter by Zone option which is the quick answer. Also there is an addon called Pet Tracker: Curse which will have a dynamic list of pets (added to you quest tracker w/ tool tip) that will show you a list of pets available, caught, and rarity of the owned pet.

Now if you want to say search for an area that has level 7 pets so you can go there, this other post with the map: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... ?f=3&t=461 might be helpful.

There is another list with the pets listed by zone (as a forum post) but for the life of me I couldn't find it.

Bindibear
Top Rater

Post by Bindibear » October 5th, 2012, 7:10 pm

Personally I like the spreadsheet because it gives me a place to put an x when I catch one. I've found a few minor discrepancies on live, but the zone levels have been pretty good so far.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... heet#p4137

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 5th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » October 5th, 2012, 8:27 pm

In addition, we've just overhauled our Pets by Zone tool with a much-improved UI. It allows you to sort by continent and zone, showing all wild pets by level, and you can even filter out pets you've already collected.

Purpleurza
Pet Score:4237
Realm:Darksorrow-eu

Post by Purpleurza » October 6th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Breanni wrote:In addition, we've just overhauled our Pets by Zone tool with a much-improved UI. It allows you to sort by continent and zone, showing all wild pets by level, and you can even filter out pets you've already collected.
Breanni, this filter by zone doesn't appear to include pets which can be caught in multiple zones. For example Westfall only contains the tiny harvester when there are obviously many more pets able to be caught there (although not at their max level).

Is this a known issue or working as intended? As somebody who has just started pet battling, I would find it useful to know which pets are available in each zone, even if they're available elsewhere.

Breanni
Site Admin

Post by Breanni » October 6th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Purpleurza wrote:Breanni, this filter by zone doesn't appear to include pets which can be caught in multiple zones. For example Westfall only contains the tiny harvester when there are obviously many more pets able to be caught there (although not at their max level).
It absolutely *should* include all of them.

It would be super-helpful to know precisely which capturable pets you've seen in Westfall (or any other zones) that don't appear correctly in this guide. Then we can correct these issues. ;-)

Purpleurza

Post by Purpleurza » October 6th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Breanni wrote:
Purpleurza wrote:Breanni, this filter by zone doesn't appear to include pets which can be caught in multiple zones. For example Westfall only contains the tiny harvester when there are obviously many more pets able to be caught there (although not at their max level).
It absolutely *should* include all of them.

It would be super-helpful to know precisely which capturable pets you've seen in Westfall (or any other zones) that don't appear correctly in this guide. Then we can correct these issues. ;-)
Seems since my previous comment, something has updated and now, as an example, Westfall is listing more capturable pets not just the ones unique to the zone.

That said, I still don't think it's working 100% - as an example, in Elwynn Forest you can capture a rabbit, as listed on http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/cr ... ts/rabbit/ however it isn't listed on the Elwynn Forest by zone http://www.warcraftpets.com/guides/pets ... excluded=Y

Breanni
Site Admin

Post by Breanni » October 7th, 2012, 6:15 am

Through solving this bug, I've discovered a few things about our data. First, the Blizzard tooltips that appear in the Pet Journal (and also on this site) are not always correct. Second, many pets which are found in several (10+) zones are not being picked up by our zone tool. So these are two things I'll be working to correct today. I'll use Wowhead's data to help reconcile things -- I think it's a little more current than the tooltips we datamined from WoW.

I'd say you can safely use this tool without running into major discrepancies, but within a day or two, it will be more accurate.

Purpleurza

Post by Purpleurza » October 7th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Breanni wrote:Through solving this bug, I've discovered a few things about our data. First, the Blizzard tooltips that appear in the Pet Journal (and also on this site) are not always correct. Second, many pets which are found in several (10+) zones are not being picked up by our zone tool. So these are two things I'll be working to correct today. I'll use Wowhead's data to help reconcile things -- I think it's a little more current than the tooltips we datamined from WoW.

I'd say you can safely use this tool without running into major discrepancies, but within a day or two, it will be more accurate.
Excellent glad you were able to sort it out. I hope you didn't think I was being rude pointing out that it wasn't working 100%

Breanni
Site Admin

Post by Breanni » October 7th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Purpleurza wrote:Excellent glad you were able to sort it out. I hope you didn't think I was being rude pointing out that it wasn't working 100%
Pointing out a bug isn't the slightest bit rude -- on the contrary, it's most appreciated. We pride ourselves on presenting an accurate and reliable site for our visitors. So fixing these kinds of mistakes is always a top priority.

Incidentally, I'm just about done correcting all the pet battle source data on the site, and boy, was there a lot to correct! The in-game tooltips are very unreliable. Hopefully Blizzard will fix them soon, but at least we've finally got them correct on WarcraftPets. ;-)