Miss miss miss

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Cec
Pet Score:4796
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu
Miss miss miss

Post by Cec » August 1st, 2013, 4:44 am

Is anyone else here getting frustrated with the HUGE amount of misses there are in pet battle?
I farm the pet tamer dailys every day, but really can it be correct that the outcome of a pet battle should depend on how many times your pet misses?

Im just really frustrated when i have to forefeit a pet fight 5 times cause everytime my pet starts out ,its a miss and i know if my pets misses i cant beat the tamer.

Anyone else have it this way?

It just makes the fun go away of pet battling miss miss miss miss :(

Pikafido
MVP
Pet Score:13608
BattleTag®:Pikafido#2789
Realm:Aerie Peak-eu

Re: Miss miss miss

Post by Pikafido » August 1st, 2013, 5:13 am

I had it lately with the tamer in Klaxy. Had to do it over again for about 6 times, but that was the only occasion.
So I think it was some bad luck that day.

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » August 1st, 2013, 6:08 am

It can get frustrating. Perhaps consider a different team with more reliable abilities?

Chimonks
Pet Score:2869
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Chimonks » August 1st, 2013, 6:16 am

Aw, come on. Stop it already... If you really want to complain about it, at least use the pet accuracy addon. No one appreciates your "hunch" or that you "feel" stuff misses too much. Bring some facts into the discussion if you really have to start it up.

So much of pet battle discussion both here and on the battle.net forums is just straight up whining and repeated topics. Be happy they've made pet battling an awesome feature instead.

Smokes
Pet Score:2626
BattleTag®:Smokes#1457
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Smokes » August 1st, 2013, 8:51 am

I really haven't seen a problem with the miss rate. Sure, yesterday I missed 3 times an a row with a 90% hit ability which was frustrating, occasionally I have to redo a tamer fight because I miss and they crit me a couple times, but that's the nature of RNG and I attempt to build my teams to minimize the impact of a few misses. I don't understand what the problem is.

Cec
Pet Score:4796
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Cec » August 1st, 2013, 9:39 am

well i guess i am the only one having this problem, i must be really unlucky, i miss 2-3 times in every battle, and many times i have to start the trainer over again due to misses.

anyways thanks alot for the replys :-)

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » August 1st, 2013, 10:11 am

Bad luck streaks often stands out in people's minds and they tend to exagerate them.

Rakrath
Pet Score:8562
Realm:Blackrock-eu

Post by Rakrath » August 1st, 2013, 10:44 am

Hi@ll,

do we habe a thread here around where people post their data of that addon?

thx
Rakrath

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » August 1st, 2013, 11:46 pm

I've had 3 misses in a row, with a level 25 pet, using a 100% hit ability.
I didn't have a hit-debuff, nor did opponent (not a player) have any blocks/immunities/etc of any kind..

Go figure.. I really hate misses, where they should not occur.

It often happens once... Twice is rare, once once did it happen three times..

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » August 2nd, 2013, 9:52 am

Misses are part of the game, if you get too frustrated about it, you either should get pets that cant miss, or not play pet battling at all :/
I can understand that misses in very critical moments can tilt people a bit, or many misses in a row, but for every fight you have more misses than you should, you have a fight where you get more hits than you should, randomness evens out in the end.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » August 2nd, 2013, 12:15 pm

Misses sometimes come at the most unfavorable times, which can be frustrating if I get bad RNG and it happens multiple times during a battle. But I just remind myself that if I can miss randomly (or often) so can my opponent. :lol:

I think the biggest problem with the whole "miss/dodge" thing is that the tooltips with 100% on them imply that they will never miss. It misleads people into thinking that if it misses, there's something wrong. That's not the case, though. RNG is a big part of Pet Battles, so the tooltip may be correct in a general sense but there's always that random factor.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Madsen
Pet Score:2729
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Madsen » August 2nd, 2013, 12:44 pm

Quintessence wrote:so the tooltip may be correct in a general sense but there's always that random factor.
What do you mean? Are you talking about weather effects and debuffs? Or are you saying 100% abilities can miss?
Every post I've seen that has accused a 100% ability of missing and supplied what they felt was proof, has been debunked.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » August 2nd, 2013, 1:29 pm

Madsen wrote:
Quintessence wrote:so the tooltip may be correct in a general sense but there's always that random factor.
What do you mean? Are you talking about weather effects and debuffs? Or are you saying 100% abilities can miss?
Every post I've seen that has accused a 100% ability of missing and supplied what they felt was proof, has been debunked.
I'm not referring to weather effects of debuffs. RNG just plays a large role in Pet Battles. It becomes more notable the higher lvl/quality pets you battle.

If I take my level 10 pet and attempt to battle a Tamer pet, it may still miss even when using a 100% chance to hit ability. This also applies to max level pets fighting Tamer pets, but to a lesser degree since the level gap is smaller.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Madsen

Post by Madsen » August 2nd, 2013, 2:43 pm

No the level gap is not just smaller, it is 0. A 100% ability cannot miss. Please prove me wrong. I've seen people whine about it regularly but I use every pet in the book and I have never had a 100% ability miss where it shouldn't be able to.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » August 3rd, 2013, 1:31 am

Madsen wrote:No the level gap is not just smaller, it is 0. A 100% ability cannot miss. Please prove me wrong. I've seen people whine about it regularly but I use every pet in the book and I have never had a 100% ability miss where it shouldn't be able to.
Agree with this, I have done like 17 daily quests every day for a few months.. and I´ve never missed a 100% ability unless there was something else going on.

I think maybe people don´t read tool-tips of some of the debuffs that happen.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » August 3rd, 2013, 5:23 pm

My Huge Toad's Water Jet is 100% hit... My Huge Toad is level 25.. My Huge Toad is rare (blue)...

It have missed 3 times in a row (as descriped above), without any hit-debuff or blocks active... 100% hit abilities DOES MISS..

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » August 3rd, 2013, 6:21 pm

FuxieDK wrote:My Huge Toad's Water Jet is 100% hit... My Huge Toad is level 25.. My Huge Toad is rare (blue)...

It have missed 3 times in a row (as descriped above), without any hit-debuff or blocks active... 100% hit abilities DOES MISS..
Water Jet is only 95% hit rate. How does your Huge Toad manage to have it at 100%?

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » August 3rd, 2013, 8:11 pm

I know that Surge of Power has missed before, but looking at patch notes makes me wonder if I'm thinking of a time pre-5.3 (before the changes to hit were implemented).
In addition, we've removed the base 5% chance to dodge, and reduced the chance to miss opponents of higher levels from 5% per level to 2% per level. The end result should be that your attacks that should hit, will hit...
It's absolutely possible that I'm confusing memories and thinking of when the BoF was first implemented and 100% hit abilities could still miss at max level. (I specifically remember Surge of Power missing on Ti'un and thinking, 'well crap, now I have to start over again'.)

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » August 4th, 2013, 2:32 am

Maizing wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:My Huge Toad's Water Jet is 100% hit... My Huge Toad is level 25.. My Huge Toad is rare (blue)...

Water Jet is only 95% hit rate. How does your Huge Toad manage to have it at 100%?
When it happened, the tooltip said 100%, but I can see now, that it says 95%.

Only possible explanation I can think of, is it was nerfed to 95%, but tooltip wasn't changed until a patch was pushed. This was, tooltip says 100%, but is infact 95%..

Madsen

Post by Madsen » August 4th, 2013, 7:43 am

Yep that sure sounds like the only possible explanation.