Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For veterans

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Darckli
Re: Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For veterans

Post by Darckli » July 15th, 2013, 7:51 pm

Marusia wrote:Aki the Chosen Fight - 10 rounds
Zandalari Footslasher
- Leap
- Bite
- Leap - may kill the opponent - needs to be Leap so you get first shot at Stormlash
- Leap - if Chirrup is still up - needs to be Leap so you get first shot at Stormlash
- Exposed Wounds - gets first shot at Stormlash, dies to Call Lightning
Clockwork Gnome
- Build Turret - massive damage due to Weather: Lightning Storm and Exposed Wounds
Carry pet
- do nothing - takes one hit. Turrets finish Stormlash.
Clockwork Gnome
- Build Turret
- Metal Fist - turrets finish the fight
This is by far the fastest strategy. May I suggest changing to Zandalari Anklerender? It has Black Claw rather than exposed wounds, which can kill Stormlash in one (1!!) round of turret fire.

Zandalari Anklerender[4] [1,2,2]
Chirrup
- Bite
- Bite
- Primal Cry
- Bite, Chirrup dies
Stormlash
- Black Claw, Anklerender dies
Clockwork Gnome [1,1,1]
- Build Turret, Stormlash dies
- Switch to carry pet, Whiskers dives
- Switch back to Clockwork Gnome
- Build Turret
- Metal Fist

The only inconsistency is if Whiskers gets crit enough to decide to cast Survival. There's not much you can do, but if your carry pet can survive a surge the Turrets should finish Whiskers.

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » July 17th, 2013, 4:43 am

Stencil wrote:I've finally created a Major Payne team, and strategy, that I'm happy with: Grasslands Cottontail (S/S) and Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot (S/S). It can be used with a level 1 carry pet or sped up by a few rounds if the carry pet can take one Rampage hit from Grizzle. The strategy is reliably getting me to Bloom in 13-17 rounds and with my fast rabbit still at full health. I've been forfeiting at that point so that I could run multiple trials; over time we'll develop a good average value for how long it then takes to kill Bloom and I'll edit this post.

The basic plan is to use the rabbit to negate the opening Rampage damage, swap in the Rocket Bot during Hibernate to set up Minefield and Sticky Grenade, and then to Batter down Grizzle and Beakmaster. There are different choices for the opening sequence (all start with Dodge) depending on Grizzles opening move and whether the carry pet can take a hit.

Major Payne
~22 rounds?
1: Grasslands Cottontail (S,S) (2,2,1) (Flurry, Dodge, Burrow)
2: Carry pet
3: Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot (S,S) (2,2,1) (Batter, Minefield, Sticky Grenade)

vs Grizzle - dirty swap, carry pet will take one hit from Rampage
- Dodge > Flurry > swap to Carry pet > swap to Rocket Bot
- (Grizzle opened with Rampage) Sticky Grenade > Minefield > Batter until Grizzle dies
- (Grizzle opened with Bash) Minefield > Sticky Grenade > Batter until Grizzle dies
vs Grizzle - hard swap, carry pet takes no damage
- Dodge
- if Grizzle did not open with Rampage, then Forfeit and start again
- Flurry > Burrow > swap to Carry Pet > swap Rocket Bot
- Sticky Grenade > Minefield > Batter until Grizzle dies
vs Beakmaster
- Sticky Grenade > Batter until Rocket Bot dies
- select Grasslands Cottontail
- Dodge (only very rarely will this not turn out to be the best move)
- Flurry until Beakmaster dies
vs Bloom
- use Burrow or Dodge whenever Entangling Roots has been cast on you
- Flurry Bloom to death

Additional info and geekery:
For a low level carry pet one can also use a death swap strategy, though I think the hard swap works better for reasons I'll get into. The main difference between openers/situations/swap methods is the number of Rampages the Rocket Bot will be exposed to. Grizzle will always be killed by the damage from one Sticky Grenade and 6 'ticks' from Batter. Two triple hits from Batter, called a 2x3, should happen around 25% of the time and would save one round of time. A 2x3 can also, in some situations, cause the Rocket Bot to take one less Rampage hit. When Grizzle opens with Rampage, he usually, but not always, casts Bash before Hibernate. Note this means that when Hibernate ends he has to Rampage because Bash is still on cooldown.
just quoting this again before it gets buried in pages of comments. its still the best, most reliable strat.

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12239
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » July 17th, 2013, 9:51 am

Zandalari Kneebiter vs. Wastewalker Shu --- bad strat. Every other one of these is solid, but the Kneebiter needs some work. When the whirlpool goes off, he's stuck in a stun and cannot swap out.

Also, fwiw, Alpine Hare S/S breed (wish you would use those more understood breeds than the #s, which the addon doesn't use) works just fine on the Thundering Pandaren Spirit strat. No need for the Cottontail.

added edit: Alpine Hare S/S worked just fine on Major Payne as well. Absolutely zero problems. I'm leveling up my Cottontail but honestly I don't think it's needed.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » July 17th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Chibipriest wrote:Zandalari Kneebiter vs. Wastewalker Shu --- bad strat. Every other one of these is solid, but the Kneebiter needs some work. When the whirlpool goes off, he's stuck in a stun and cannot swap out.
Are you saying your Kneebiter is getting hit with the Whirlpool, keeping you from swapping to Chrominius? You should be switching to Chrominius on the same turn the Whirlpool hits, with Chrominius eating the Whirlpool. If your Kneebiter isn't finishing Crusher with the second turn of Hunting Party, your Kneebiter isn't the correct breed.

If you don't have a P/P Kneebiter, this strategy will never work. This same discussion was brought up earlier in this thread with a few alternate strategies. If you're interested, it's on page 3, starting about halfway down the page with a post from Sound having the exact same problem you're having.

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » July 19th, 2013, 7:08 am

NathKnave - that'd be it. I have an S/S breed. Easy enough to remedy - and it *does* work with some RNG but it's just really irritating how weak Hunting Party is otherwise.

I also think no one uses the #s for breeds and the OP should change it accordingly. I can't be arsed to go googling what the hell 4 is. The addons all use the letters.

NathKnave
Top Rater

Post by NathKnave » July 19th, 2013, 7:47 am

Chibipriest wrote:I also think no one uses the #s for breeds and the OP should change it accordingly. I can't be arsed to go googling what the hell 4 is. The addons all use the letters.
I agree that the letter descriptors for breeds seems to make more sense. It's probably a bit of hyperbole to say that no one uses the numbers though. I think people tend to stick with whatever they learned first. I do agree that the letters should be included in this guide, but in addition to the numbers for a nice compromise.

Cabadath
Pet Score:2577
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Cabadath » July 19th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Wow, really cool to see all the work being put into the guide! <3 you perfectionists!
This is more than I ever hoped dream for, and the input by all of you guys and gals are really superb. Especially the terminology concerning ability sequence pr round, and the ammount of rounds needed to win the battle. Nice work with the new pets that has come out since 5.2! Efficiency > all !

I switched my pet menagerie for a mini-me, and even though I pop by from time to time to chech up on the development in pet battling, my baby daughter takes precedence from taking up wow again ;).

Keep up the good work, and keep up the petbattlin'!

Just had to make a little comment to the following:
Tangerine wrote:A few quick comments:
2) The only exception to your wild pet roster is the Vampiric Batling, which many do not have. The Bat you propose as an alternative has stats that are different enough to make the Flowing fight require a different sequence of attacks. This goal to use only obtainable pets is worthy, but has been badly violated with the use of the Vampiric Batling.

Thanks for the wonderful job on this guide. I use it every day!
When I wrote the original guide, I had seen that many guides here and there recommended hard/impossible-to-obtain pets. I wanted to make a guide using obtainable or relatively easily obtainable pets (including not having to pay real life money to get a petshop pet from the blizzstore like Ragnaros). But the magnificence of the Vampiric Batling was too alluring for me to ignore, and as I - as many others of you - have played since the dawn of time in wow, I had to incorporate this pet in the strategy. I did emphasize that you could use an easily obtainable pet. I do acknowledge the point you have made, and I must say that I did see the nature of the pet being unobtainable by players after Wrath of the Lich King went live:

The Vampiric Batling felt almost like cheating at the time. But using another bat, which of course weren't undead, didn't really seem to change the stragy overly much. Of course, I hadn't tested a different bat extensively, such as I had with the Vampiric Batling in my daily quests, but I felt confident that an ordinary (preferably breed #4 if I remember correctly) would suffice without any real problems. My apologies that it broke one of the main principles of the guide, but as I put in an alternative I felt it was sufficiently rectified. All this aside; I haven't the current knowledge of all the new pets and the blizzard tweaks to mechanics close at heart as I haven't played wow for quite some time, so I won't exclude the possibility of there being more efficient team setups and strategies present that surpasses my initial guide.

By the way: Love the way you refer to the main principles of the guide; it's always important to review the current guide status in view of the basic principles from time to time. But I do have to say that Phraide and all the other contributors such as Stencil have done a marvellous and impeccable job so far.

Have fun :)

Cabadath

Post by Cabadath » July 19th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Chibipriest wrote:NathKnave - that'd be it. I have an S/S breed. Easy enough to remedy - and it *does* work with some RNG but it's just really irritating how weak Hunting Party is otherwise.

I also think no one uses the #s for breeds and the OP should change it accordingly. I can't be arsed to go googling what the hell 4 is. The addons all use the letters.
Had to make a comment on this as well.
I thought that using the numbers instead of the letters was natural and more explanatory back when I wrote the first guide. The reason was that the addon breedID used letters as a standard, whilst the numbers were easier to understand. Of couse, P/P was easy to identify as breed ID # 4, but when it came to id's such as P/S etc, I preferred the numbers. Bear in mind that the sources - such as the great database that is Warcraftpets.com - used numbers such as 7/17 etc, which also is based on Blizzard's own system. Blizzard didn't use letters, but numbers. Thusly, the basic "language" of pet breeds is numbers, not letters. Letters was introduced at some point (perhaps by the author of the pet breed id) to explain the meaning of the numbers in a more intuitive way, such as P being power, S being speed, and B representing balance - which doesn't really say anything about how much "balance" it represented". The "best" breeds of some pets are for example "P/S", which means that it has most focus on power, but also balances out the rest of the stat points. I am used to thinking in a min-maxing way in a raid community, and through this I found that the use of letters weren't natural for me to use. I preferred the numbers.

My personal reccomendation: sadly, the addon breed ID uses letters as default; change this to showing numbers, and everything becomes clear :) It does take some time to get used to, but in my opinion it's the best way to define breeds and to find them in the wild. In addition, one standardizes the terminology used by all members of the pet battling community.

Perhaps my thinking has become old fashioned already, but Phraide could of course change this in the guide if he - and the community - finds it to be the best thing to do.

:)

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » July 20th, 2013, 8:38 am

Except the problem here is, no one uses the #s go to the Blizzard forums. No one uses them - because the Battle Pet ID addon is what everyone uses and everyone is acclimated to the letters, which make far more sense.

If you wanted to be actually useful with regards to helping people understand the numbers in relation to the letters, writing up a guide the directly correlate the #s TO THE LETTERS would be helpful. Then make it a sticky.

Until that happens and/or the Pet Battle ID addon creator decided randomly to change the idea from letters, everyone will remain confused and irritated.

Ridgebj
Pet Score:3993
BattleTag®:dds#1808
Realm:Gundrak-us

Post by Ridgebj » July 21st, 2013, 3:59 am

Vampiric batling is used twice in the guide:

For Seeker Zusshi using the alternative P/P Bat as the guide already suggests works well.

For Flowing Pandaren Spirit using the P/P Bat makes the fight very random. I have replaced the Bat with a rare P/B Jade Owl (2,1,1). Other breeds should be fine too (B/B or P/S)

vs Marley
- Adrenaline Rush > Thrash > Lift-Off > Adrenaline Rush > Thrash until Marley dies. (If Marley has low health then use Adrenaline Rush rather than Thrash so you go in to Tiptoe fight with 3 rounds of speed).
vs Tiptoe
- Thrash (only if you have the speed buff from Adrenaline Rush) otherwise Adrenaline Rush > Thrash until Tiptoe dies. If Jade Owl dies > switch to Carry pet then follow existing guide.
vs Pandaren Water Spirit
- If Jade Owl is still alive > switch to Carry pet > switch to Emerald Proto Whelp and follow guide.

I am also finding the Wastewalker Shu guide fairly random (i.e. if Chrominius misses anything you lose). I have been having some success replacing Chrominius a H/H rare Scourged Whelpling (2,2,1)

Having death and decay up for Mutilator with Black Claw up makes him trivial. Pounder can still be a pain if you miss more than twice or you get stunned... but seems slightly more consistent.

I also don't enjoy fighting the Whispering Pandaren Spirit. I would like to replace the Anubisath Idol so if anyone is out there using a different strategy let me know.

Many thanks for all the work that has been put into this guide. It has been a great resource for me.

Stencil
Pet Score:3290
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Stencil » July 22nd, 2013, 3:30 am

Here's an alternate strat for Wastewalker Shu that is very reliable for people who dislike RNG.

A Red Cricket can solo this fight and is the heart of this strategy. It can use Cocoon Strike to block all Whirlpool damage, has a massive (over 500) point self heal, and Rupture will do less damage and cannot stun it because it is type Critter. A hard hitting mechanical, preferably Tranquil Mechanical Yeti[1], is used to speed up the fight by switching in for the last pet and nuking it.

Wastewalker Shu
20 rounds [2]
1: Red Cricket [-] (1,2,1) (Skitter, Cocoon Strike, [ability]Nature's Touch[/ability])
2: Carry pet
3: Tranquil Mechanical Yeti [-] (1,1,2) (Metal Fist, Call Lightning, Ion Cannon)

vs Crusher
- Skitter until 1 round remains on Whirlpool
- Cocoon Strike, then use Nature's Touch
- usual sequence: Skitter x3 > Cocoon > heal > Skitter x2
vs Pounder
- Cocoon Strike priority: Whirlpool > Sandstorm > Rupture
- Skitter and Nature's Touch when needed
- usual sequence [2]: Cocoon > heal > Skitter x3 > Cocoon > Skitter x2
vs Mutilator
- swap to carry pet [3]
- swap to Yeti
- Call Lightning, if it misses then Metal Fist
- Ion Cannon

Notes
[1] In 5.3, the Yeti was better for this fight than all other pets with Ion Cannon because Call Lightning was used to counter Sandstorm. Even if Call Lightning missed, it would change the weather from Sandstorm to Lightning Storm. That increased the damage of Ion Cannon and, more importantly, removed any chance for Ion Cannon to miss. In 5.4, as a result of the changes to Sandstorm, it hasn't been up when the Yeti swaps in; Pounder was not reapplying it before killed. That means you should probably be fine if you use something like a Darkmoon Tonk, Menagerie Custodian or Sunreaver Microsentry. If you do have a Yeti, there's no downside to using it and its possible that run of Skitter misses could allow Sandstorm to get reapplied. So use a Yeti if you have one.

[2] In 5.3, I averaged 20.35 turns over 20 kills with the fastest kill at 18 turns and the slowest at 24. The strategy should be a little faster in 5.4. Rupture can no longer stun a Critter and so we won't lose the odd round to that. The Sandstorm change means a few Skitters that could have missed will now hit and, more importantly, there should be less incoming damage which means fewer attempts that need to spend a round on a third heal.

[3] Mutilator always casts Spike Shield this turn so carry pet will take no damage. The Yeti's damage is so high its not worth wasting turns grinding the Cricket to death.

EDITED for 5.4 changes
Last edited by Stencil on September 26th, 2013, 9:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Stencil

Post by Stencil » July 22nd, 2013, 3:55 am

Nytemarerulez wrote:
Ridgebj wrote:I also don't enjoy fighting the Whispering Pandaren Spirit. I would like to replace the Anubisath Idol so if anyone is out there using a different strategy let me know.

use this one Double Chrominius
If a person only has one Chrominius pet, then they can use Proto-Drake Whelp + Chrominius.

If they have zero Chrominius, then I'd go with Proto-Drake Whelp + Emerald Proto Whelp.

Stencil

Post by Stencil » July 22nd, 2013, 4:38 am

Cabadath wrote:My personal recomendation: sadly, the addon breed ID uses letters as default; change this to showing numbers, and everything becomes clear :)
Have to disagree with you Cab. The problem with the numbers is that they are merely a label and convey no actual information. You have to memorize what stats the numbers correspond to. The only ones I know off the top of my head, for example, are 4 and 5 (which gets you pretty far actually, heh). P/P or S/S, on the other hand, are self evident as to what stats the pet has.
Cabadath wrote:such as P being power, S being speed, and B representing balance - which doesn't really say anything about how much "balance" it represented". The "best" breeds of some pets are for example "P/S", which means that it has most focus on power, but also balances out the rest of the stat points.
Ah, I think you have a misunderstanding about the lettering scheme. It is NOT ambiguous; there is a one to one mapping of a 2 letter code to each breed number. P/S means that it has an equal amount of extra points in both Power and Speed and no boost to Health (breed 8). P/B is the designation for a pet that has equal bumps to Speed and Health and a larger bump to Power (breed 10).

Stencil

Post by Stencil » July 22nd, 2013, 4:40 am

Chibipriest wrote:If you wanted to be actually useful with regards to helping people understand the numbers in relation to the letters, writing up a guide the directly correlate the #s TO THE LETTERS would be helpful. Then make it a sticky.
Or, you could simply mouse over the Guides dropdown in the bar along the top of the page and select Guide to Pet Breeds which will take you to this page which already has all the information.

NathKnave
Top Rater

Post by NathKnave » July 22nd, 2013, 10:18 pm

Ridgebj wrote:I also don't enjoy fighting the Whispering Pandaren Spirit. I would like to replace the Anubisath Idol so if anyone is out there using a different strategy let me know.
I agree here, I really started to hate the Anubisath Idol on this fight. Using Crush during the Sandstorm was unreliable enough that this fight was too often taking me two or three times to complete. I tried switching Sandstorm with Stoneskin, but that made Dusty's Mothballs, which hit about 65% of the time under Sandstorm, hit way too often, making the damage too much.

Currently I'm using Soul of the Aspects, which is good vs. all the flying attacks and has Deflection for Moth Dust, Claw for Dusty, and Surge of Light for Whispertail. Even then it doesn't last as long as I'd like against Whispertail, and I have to use a leveling pet that's level 19+ in order to get a couple hits in before I switch to Chrominius.

Maybe I'm picky, but I like having just one copy of each pet that I have, so double Chrominius doesn't appeal to me. I might try switching back to Emerald Proto-Whelp for this fight, but I hated how unpredictable the sleep effect from Moth Dust can make this fight.

Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Aur » July 24th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Just wanted to say thanks so much for this guide and for every one who has contributed to it. It has helped me tremendously.

I wanted to add my feedback on the Aki fight. I don't have a Spirit Crab yet so I have been using my Anubisath Idol (1,2,1) instead and it works beautifully. In fact I prefer the Idol since he is being used for other fights already. It just makes the "need" list a little shorter. I still finish in about 20 rounds so it is not a noticeably longer fights.

The tactics are almost exactly the same as what you post. 1st round Stoneskin, then Crush until dead, re-applying Stoneskin at 1 turn. When Stormlash comes out I deflect the Call Lightning and Crush/ re-apply Stoneskin. For Whiskers, defect his Dive and use Crush but let Stoneskin fall off. Idol will die, swap to carry, and then swap to Moth to finish.

Cabadath

Post by Cabadath » July 25th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Stencil wrote:
Cabadath wrote:My personal recomendation: sadly, the addon breed ID uses letters as default; change this to showing numbers, and everything becomes clear :)
Have to disagree with you Cab. The problem with the numbers is that they are merely a label and convey no actual information. You have to memorize what stats the numbers correspond to. The only ones I know off the top of my head, for example, are 4 and 5 (which gets you pretty far actually, heh). P/P or S/S, on the other hand, are self evident as to what stats the pet has.
Cabadath wrote:such as P being power, S being speed, and B representing balance - which doesn't really say anything about how much "balance" it represented". The "best" breeds of some pets are for example "P/S", which means that it has most focus on power, but also balances out the rest of the stat points.
Ah, I think you have a misunderstanding about the lettering scheme. It is NOT ambiguous; there is a one to one mapping of a 2 letter code to each breed number. P/S means that it has an equal amount of extra points in both Power and Speed and no boost to Health (breed 8). P/B is the designation for a pet that has equal bumps to Speed and Health and a larger bump to Power (breed 10).
I started out using the P/P, S/B etc when pet battling went live. I used it for my excel sheets to break down what I wanted - and find out why one pet breed was better than another.

In my search for the huge ammount of pets out there, I used warcraftpets database. This database used numbers, while my addon ingame used letters. At this early stage I was inexperienced, and found it cumbersome to use two different breed languages. This occurred when I found that not only P/P / breed 4/14 was the best choice, as some pets didn't have breed 4 but instead only had several balance breeds and still had a family or abilities which made me want to have those pets. The different balance breed numbers in warcraftpets made it awkward to identify the right breed ingame with an addon showing letters such as "B".

I chose numbers as this was used by warcraftpets and blizzard both, and I could change the addon settings to show numbers instead of letters. This way, I only had to get used to numbers which seemed the best choice to me. I got used to it, and didn't get any input which made me rethink this choice. After several weeks I started writing the guide based on my excel sheets and personal team choices, and the breed ID numbers was the natural breed language to use. I can't remember any complaints or feedback of the numbers being confusing, but perhaps most people find it confusing but without posting about it. After all, usually only a fragment of the readers of a guide actually posts in the comments. I suppose I could have stuck with letters and gotten used to this, but I simply didn't see a reason for it :).

If using numbers is confusing to the users of the guide, I think it probably would be best to change the guide to using letters :). The point of the guide is for it to be as intuitive and helpful as possible.

Good luck with the new patch everyone!

Avezo
Pet Score:3183
Realm:Aerie Peak-eu

Post by Avezo » July 25th, 2013, 1:05 pm

Are you guys experiencing these tactics being less effective since last maintenance? I'm halfway through all Pandaria trainers and for the first time I'm having problems with almost every single one of them.