My Pet Collection
You've collected 0 pets

Visual Guide to Collecting Wild Pet Colors

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Ilthisper

Pet Score: 343

Re: Visual Guide to Collecting Wild Pet Colors

Postby Ilthisper » February 9th, 2013, 7:31 pm

This is a very helpful guide. Thanks!

Mosbhet
Top Rater

Pet Score: 2960

Postby Mosbhet » February 13th, 2013, 1:04 am

Wow, what a nice guide! I've been interested in collecting the various wild battle pet skins and this is such a helpful reference. Thank you for taking the time to put this together!

GormanGhaste
MVP

Pet Score: 2985

Postby GormanGhaste » February 28th, 2013, 11:22 am

Making a note here that two of the new wild pets in 5.2 come in multiple, unique colors:

Elder Pythons come in green and red variants
Swamp Croakers come in green and blue variants

Will update the guide once I have thumbnails.

Edit: update complete
Mingyao on Madoran

Ackis

Pet Score: 2647

Postby Ackis » June 2nd, 2013, 1:19 am

Is there a chance of including a "explain it to me like I'm 5" here? I honestly didn't realize that there were different colours within a specific pet species.

Anael

Pet Score: 0

Postby Anael » July 12th, 2013, 9:53 pm

This is very helpful

Melmo
MVP

Pet Score: 3450

Postby Melmo » July 19th, 2013, 10:21 pm

This is my favorite guide, thank you for taking the time to make this :)

GormanGhaste
MVP

Postby GormanGhaste » February 25th, 2014, 10:18 am

Made a correction to the maggot section, as Larvae no longer appear to come in the beige color.

Went ahead and added the 5.4 moths and the Thundertail too, as their models were already in the guide.
Mingyao on Madoran

Moneypenny
Top Rater

Pet Score: 3167

Postby Moneypenny » March 28th, 2014, 1:23 am

wow fantastic work thankyou :)
http://www.best-signatures.com/]Image

Keltoroq
Top Rater

Pet Score: 3025

Postby Keltoroq » March 28th, 2014, 11:55 am

Very good job. The tundra penguin was a surprise. Gonna get me a copy of each. Thanks. As for others i noticed before and always have different collors if i got them in rare. Still will check if missing some.

Again, thanks a lot.

Janitor

Pet Score: 3061

Postby Janitor » March 30th, 2014, 6:38 am

Great guide! Thanks for making it! :)

GormanGhaste
MVP

Postby GormanGhaste » March 30th, 2014, 7:02 am

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. The Community Spotlight was such a surprise! So many people in the community helped with the guide and Wain provided the initial inspiration and legwork. :)
Mingyao on Madoran

Shiverina

Pet Score: 3160

Postby Shiverina » March 31st, 2014, 7:12 am

This "color" guide makes no sense. It's not a tool, it's just an incomplete strange amalgamation of non-capturable level 1 pets. And why the distinction between "Wild" and "non-wild"?!? That's really confusing; as in, I don't understand the point and it's not stated - please clarify.

Most people on this site are interested in collecting pets. Differentiating between wild and non-wild only tells me that you looked at the killable (non-capturable) little level 1 animals and simply recorded SOME classes of them - the ones that used to be called critters prior to the various classes of capturable battle pets came out - ie. critters, beast, aquatic, etc. I don't understand why anyone would care about what color the non-capturable 'wild' level 1 animals. If I'm understanding this "post" correctly, I don't even comprehend it's purpose. Furthermore, "colors"?!? Did you mean skins? I suppose stating the word "colors" isn't too deviated from inferring 'skins'. Maybe it's just me.

I would have made a matrix of the groups of pets. Such as:

All the moths - their names, regardless of sharing the same color (and the breeds they're available in)
All the snakes - see moths description

Sorry - my intent here is not to troll, I just really don't understand what this 'list' is for and why it was made.
You missed squirrels, Oozlings, Raptors (there are a ton of those), Cats, Fish, Bears, Bats, Geodes, Rats, Dragons, Whelplings, and Dragonhawks to name a few of the larger group types.

GormanGhaste
MVP

Postby GormanGhaste » March 31st, 2014, 9:18 am

Sorry for the confusion, Shiverina. By "wild pets", I mean pets that are acquired through pet battles.

I'm not the best at explaining things, and I know you're not the first person to be confused. If anyone would like to provide a better text for the thread introduction I would really appreciate it.
Mingyao on Madoran

Melmo
MVP

Pet Score: 3450

Postby Melmo » March 31st, 2014, 9:41 am

I don't know what's so "confusing" about the post, if you read it's clearly stated that this guide is to help catch the LEAST AMOUNT of wild pets with more than one skin. It's to help you not get all white bunnies or white maggots or brown beetles. All the raptors only have ONE skin per pet, as do the bats, phoenixes, etc. They have no purpose in this guide. Please show some respect to the original poster for their hard work, the guide is very clear and has been since it was first posted.

Grimfeather
Top Rater

Pet Score: 2905

Postby Grimfeather » April 1st, 2014, 1:25 am

I am just posting to help explain as well.

Please feel free to post this guide to your guide under a spoiler in the first post or by linking to it if you think it will help future pet collectors! 8D

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY ALTERNATE SKINS AND WHY ARE THEY IMPORTANT?
Some people, like myself, would prefer to collect as many possible /unique/ skins while also having only 1 of each exactly named pet (rather than 2 or the limit of 3). One can see how many skins a pet is available in by looking at the pet link and looking to see if there is a section near the top that reads "ALTERNATE SKINS".

Each ALTERNATE SKIN will be posted for as a picture of the skin/color.

If there is no section titled ALTERNATE SKINS, this means that a creature comes only in the 1 skin/color presented in it's icon picture.

WHY DOES THE GUIDE ONLY SHOW CERTAIN FAMILIES AND LEAVE OUT OTHERS?
The guide leaves out families that do not need a lot of looking through to determine the best mob of which skin should be caught to complete one's collection of unique pets. For example, while there are many snake skins, it is guaranteed due to the arrangement that without even trying you will acquire every snake skin in game automatically as long as you capture all snakes (save the Elder Python which comes in 2 skin choices and requires you capture both skins under the same pet).

What does this mean?

Some pets only come in 1 color (such as Mojo, the Blue Speckled Frog) and some come in multiple colors such as the Small Frog which comes in four skin options.

The reason it is not listed is because eventually you will get all skin types through collecting other pets of the same "model" that only have 1 skin, therefore it is unnecessary to worry about it and a guide that lists every skin in game would be difficult to sift through when just trying to quickly make sure you're not missing out on a unique skin!

OK I THINK I AM STARTING TO GET IT, BUT I AM STILL CONFUSED?!

EXAMPLE ONE (EASY): PARROTS
An example of this is the Parrot.

Technically, there are 7 possible parrot pets (by name) under the Flying -> Parrot family.

1: Cockatiel (Gray Skin)
2: Green Wing Macaw (Red Skin)
3: Hyacinth Macaw (Purple Skin)
4: Miniwing (White/Purple Skin)
5: Parrot (White Skin, Brown Skin, and Red/Black Skin)
6: Polly (Green/Yellow Skin)
7: Senegal (Green Skin)

By doing the math, we see there are 7 pets but a total of 9 unique skins. By looking at the list, we realize that each of the above creatures comes in only 1 possible appearance type...EXCEPT for the Parrot which comes in -3- possible skins, 2 of which are not available in any other parrot model.

That means, in order to capture all 9 unique SKINS for parrots, we must capture 1 of each mob but also an extra 2 (for the max of 3) PARROT mob type. However, while we then have 3 PARROTS, each are a unique skin.

EXAMPLE TWO (MODERATE): CHICKENS
In a different example, such as the chickens, we see there are a total of 4 unique chicken pets with a total of 3 unique skins. For some collectors, such as myself, it is nice to try to arrange it so that we do not have "duplicates" of a skin OR mob if there is no reason to have one - it reduces clutter.

So for example, in the Flying -> Chicken category we have the following:

1: Ancona Chicken (Gray Skin)
2: Chicken (White Skin)
3: Szechuan Chicken (Gray Skin, White Skin, Beige Skin)
4: Westfall Chicken (White Skin)

By looking at this list, we see there is a white chicken, a gray chicken, and a beige chicken. 3 of the chickens only come in 1 color each. So for white chickens, we get Chicken and Westfall Chicken. For a gray chicken, we automatically get Ancona Chicken.

BUT WAIT!

We see that we have 1 more skin and 1 more chicken to get. A beige skin, and a Szechuan Chicken. So while a Szechuan Chicken may come in all 3 colors, it would be in our best interest to wait until we can capture a beige 1, since it is the only chicken that comes in the beige skin AND if we captured it in another color but desired all skins we would end up with 2 or even 3 Szechuan Chickens despite possibly only wanting -ONE-.

EXAMPLE THREE (DIFFICULT): WARPSTALKERS
Things get downright complicated for some pet families when they start to have a ton of skins. The best example that personally gave me a headache was the WARPSTALKER family.

When we look at the Beast -> Lizard family we see that there are 8 warpstalker pets. However, there are only 6 warpstalker skins. Again, we find out what skins are available by looking at each pet's ALTERNATE SKINS section. While this may not normally be daunting, the issue in trying to minimize the number of actual physical pets we own while collecting all unique skins becomes difficult when each 1 has a different number and selection of skins.

HUH? WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT?

Here are the warpstalker pets, perhaps you'll start to see what I mean.
1: Ash Lizard (White Skin)
2: Horned Lizard (White Skin, Red Skin)
3: Lizard Hatchling (White Skin, Teal Skin, Black Skin)
4: Plains Monitor (Red Skin)
5: Spiky Lizard (Red Skin)
6: Spiny Lizard (White Skin, Red Skin, Black Skin, Green Skin)
7: Warpstalker Hatchling (White Skin)

Then they sink something else in!
There's another warpstalker model, but it's technically an AQUATIC pet rather than a BEAST.

8: Horny Toad (Teal Skin, Green Skin)

So now we see that we have 6 unique skins, and 8 unique pets.

This can be a lot of math and process of elimination to determine which 1 you need - that's when a premade guide such as this 1 comes in handy! With these numbers and this pet in mind, let's move on to using the guide!

USING THE GUIDE TO GET ALL WARPSTALKER SKINS FROM EXAMPLE THREE.
The way the guide works is instead of showing each model by name and listing the colors, as the way I did above, the guide simplifies the matter by doing the reverse.

That is to say, the guide goes by SKIN and -then- NAME.

This allows you to quickly see exactly how many skins you need and in what color. Using the Warpstalker Example:

We see that the guide lists:
1: White Skin -Ash Lizard*, Warpstalker Hatchling*
2: Red Skin - Plains Monitor*, Spiky Lizard*
3: Blue Skin - Twilight Iguana*
4: Green Skin - Horny Toad, Spiny Lizard
5: Teal Skin - Horny Toad, Lizard Hatchling
6: Black Skin - Lizard Hatchling, Spiny Lizard

SO WHAT DOES THE NAME BEHIND EACH SKIN MEAN?
The name(s) listed are the only pets that come in that specific color/skin on that specific model/pet.

ALRIGHT - BUT WHAT DOES THE ASTERISK/STAR (*) BY THAT NAME INDICATE?
The * besides a name means that not only does that pet potentially come in the color shown in the image, it ONLY comes in the color shown.

This means that you can capture, for example, an Ash Lizard and it will always be white because it only comes in the white skin.

HOW COME SOME NAMES DON'T HAVE AN ASTERISK?
Because they come in more than the skin pictured! This also means you'll see them listed alongside other skins. For example, the Horny Toad comes in both Green and Teal skins so therefore it is listed twice - next to each skin.

WITH THAT IN MIND, CAN YOU FINISH THE WARPSTALKER EXAMPLE TO TEACH ME HOW 2 PET GUD?
SURE CAN, RANDOM PET ENTHUSIAST!

Let's take a look at our list of skins again - a little more thoroughly.

1: White Skin -Ash Lizard*, Warpstalker Hatchling*
By looking at this, we see 2 pets come only in white and therefore we do not need to worry about the white skin.

2: Red Skin - Plains Monitor*, Spiky Lizard*
By looking at this, we see 2 pets come only in red and therefore we do not need to worry about the red skin.

3: Blue Skin - Twilight Iguana*
By looking at this, we see 1 pet comes only in blue and therefore we do not need to worry about the blue skin.

THIS IS WHERE IT STARTS TO GET A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED.

At this point, we see that we need three skins (Green, Teal, and Black) and we also still require three pets (Horny Toad, Spiny Lizard, and Lizard Hatchling).

Once it gets to this area, we start to simply see what we catch first and then check that off the list and move to the next 1 through a process of elimination. It makes it a little easier, though one still needs to be cautious to make sure that the pet type will not prevent you from getting a different skin ASSUMING you only want 1 pet and not multiples of the same.

EXAMPLE: PROCESS OF ELIMINATION WHEN THERE ARE TOO MANY SKINS
Let's say our first catch is a GREEN HORNY TOAD.

We come back and check the list and cross out the SKIN and the PET NAME.

Now our new list tells us that we need:
5: Teal Skin - Lizard Hatchling

Looking at this list, we realize a Lizard Hatchling is listed under both skins. However, it is the only 1 available in the Teal Skin, while the Black Skin can be obtained through a Spiny Lizard (another warpstalker we do not have).

This leaves us with our list now looking like this:
5: Teal Skin - Lizard Hatchling
6: Black Skin - Spiny Lizard

Which is by far a lot easier to manage! Now you have all 8 warpstalker pets, every unique skin, and no extras save for the forced duplicates. What do I mean by forced duplicates? The ones that come automatically in a color under 2 or more pet names (such as the white skinned warpstalker as both the Ash Lizard and Warpstalker Hatchling pets)!

EASIER EXAMPLE OF THE PROCESS OF ELIMINATION
Some of the pets listed make it very easy by coming in two skins for two pets.

1: Malayan Quillrat -Dark Green Skin, Beige Skin
2: Malayan Quillrat Pup - Dark Green Skin, Beige Skin

2 pets, 2 skins! If you capture one first, just capture the other skin on the other pet!

So if I capture a BEIGE MALAYAN QUILLRAT PUP the list now shows me:
1: Malayan Quillrat -Dark Green Skin, Beige Skin
2: Malayan Quillrat Pup - Dark Green Skin, Beige Skin

Bam! That I should capture a Malayan Quillrat with the Dark Green skin, and voila! 2 pets, 2 skins!

WHAT DOES IT MEAN IF THERE ARE TWO PICTURES NEXT TO A LIST OF NAMES?
Easy!It means all the names following those 2 pictures come in both/either of the presented skins as an option.

An example of this is the LIGHT ORANGE and DARK ORANGE beetle.

We see listed behind the 2 pictures: Beetle, Dung Beetle, Gold Beetle, Stinkbug

This means that we need 2 skins (light orange/orange) and have 4 possible pets to draw from (Beetle, Dung Beetle, Gold Beetle, and Stinkbug). Since none of these names have an asterisk (*) it means that each one comes in both (and potentially more colors, if listed elsewhere).

HOW DO YOU GUARANTEE YOU GET BOTH SKINS, THEN?
Process of elimination!

Capture your pets as usual and once you get a light orange pet, cross the name off the list. Then once you get a regular orange pet, cross it off as well. The rest of the pets in the list you can catch without worry. If you accidentally catch all the pets, just come back and double check you included both skins. If not, pick one of the names to go try to recapture as if you didn't own the pet!

IF I ALREADY COLLECTED MOST OF THESE PETS IS IT TOO LATE TO GO BACK?
Nope! Just open up your pet journal (it's easiest if you're alt-tabbed into the game) and double check the pets you've caught against this list. It also helps to print out the list if you can or to make your own copy of the list in a document program so you can just cross off as you go!

ANY LAST TIPS/TRICKS?
I have two!

Option One: Favorite Marking a Pet In-Game
I mark a pet as favorite for a few reasons, to make sure I don't accidentally release it, cage it, or replace it with a higher level version! Once I know I have a pet in the skin I need, I favorite it!

Option Two: Naming a Pet In-Game
This can be very helpful if you either do not name your pets often or if you do not mind waiting until later to come back and name your pets once you've finished a "section" of pet types and skins.

What I do is specifically name pets I do not want to get rid of mistakenly by naming them something like "SKIN, "SKIN ONE", "SKIN TWO". An example of mine personally is the Parrot with 3 skin options (white, brown, dark red). I have them named SKIN ONE, SKIN TWO, SKIN THREE to make sure that I do not see I have duplicates and accidentally release!

I HOPE THIS HELPED AT ALL FOR THOSE WHO WERE CONFUSED BY THE PREMISE! <3

GormanGhaste
MVP

Postby GormanGhaste » April 1st, 2014, 7:00 am

That's awesome, Grimfeather! It's now linked in the first post.
Mingyao on Madoran

Anath
Top Rater

Pet Score: 2908

Postby Anath » July 2nd, 2014, 12:57 pm

Before I saw your guide I had always wanted to make sure I had all the different versions of pets, but didn't really know how many there were or if I would be able to get all of them. Thanks to your guide, I've been able to steadily work through getting them! So thank-you so very much for this, I'm sure it would have been a lot of effort! My two toughest variation scores so far have been getting the beige and blue edged moth, and all 3 colours of parrot as rares :D I'm looking forward to getting the rest of the ones I'm missing. I've even written down on my notepad which pets need which colour for quick reference <3
Also thank-you Grimfeather for taking the time to write out all those explanations for people who are confused ^_^

The hardest part is trying to convince my hubby that yes, wanting all the variations is not crazy! lol

Previous

Return to Community Guides