Viscous Horror

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu
Re: Viscous Horror

Post by Luciandk » July 1st, 2013, 1:17 pm

They probably didnt want to 'overwhelm' collectors with all tot pets at once, given the sheer size of the raid. Though SOO will likely not have any pets at all. 5.4 meant to be fairly low on new pets from what I recall hearing. the 4 celestials, moon-moon and the 2 engi pets is all I know about.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » July 2nd, 2013, 5:18 am

Dash wrote:As for pets that drop only in LFR, Blizz will probably relocate them elsewhere, like they did with the blue drake (the mount you would (hopefully) catch after running Occulus through LFD)
Just a quick pointer, this was originally the rare drop mount from Malygos 10 (with Azue Drake from Malygos 25).

Oculus was by far the least ran Dungeon, both before and after the advent of the LFD tool (Looking for Dungeon group), due to it's non-scaling drake mechanic and general complications in navigating (being the first[?] 3D dungeon). Many players would leave LFD straightaway when they saw they'd been matched to Oculus. They added the LFD Oculus bag to entice people to stay and complete the run, and needed a big sweetner, so they moved the Blue Drake from Malygos 10 into the bags. Azure Drake went from Malygos 25 only to dropping on both difficulties.

With the release of the next expansion, with Oculus no longer being accesible through the LFD tool, they moved the Blue Drake BACK to Malygos, originally it seemed to be 10-man only, with the Azure Drake returning to 25 man only, but that seems to have been abandoned at some stage. I was lucky enough to get my Blue Drake from an Oculus bag, but when I got my Azure drake from Malygos 10 in THIS expansion, BOTH drakes dropped at the same time!

It's also worth noting that the Blue Drake is also available from the 'Satchel of Exotic Mysteries' given to healers/tanks who queue for Dungeons when their role is in particular need.

I don't think this is the same situation as the Living Fluid at all, which I see as being more like the 'Searing Scorchling' - a time limited pet which Blizzard later reintroudced elsewhere when public opnion demanded it's return. I don't think they'll make the same mistake this time and I fully expect the Fluid to be available from Failbags/Satchels/Normal mode/Coin Rolls once it's LFR is no longer relevant. 5.4 PTR patch notes already seem to suggest that it may be available from any coin roll in ToT (and hopefully we'll be getting more than 3 coins per week).

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » July 2nd, 2013, 7:22 am

I think you misunderstood the coin roll change in 5.4. Currently you cannot get a pet when you use a coin on a pet dropping boss. Thats whats changing in 5.4, giving you a second chance on aquiring one.

Gromagrim

Post by Gromagrim » July 2nd, 2013, 7:34 am

Luciandk wrote:I think you misunderstood the coin roll change in 5.4. Currently you cannot get a pet when you use a coin on a pet dropping boss. Thats whats changing in 5.4, giving you a second chance on aquiring one.
Hello Lucian, we had a long discussion about this on the thread when it was announced, and though Mumper 'clarified' it, I'm not convinced about how it will work when the patch drops. This is why I've mentioned it here.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » July 2nd, 2013, 11:26 am

I agree with many points made in this thread. Considering this pet is such a unique case, it being the only one that has different versions depending on raid difficulty level, Blizzard could have implemented the Viscous Horror better.

1. Release the Viscous Horror earlier in the tier.
2 . Increased droprate for harder difficulties. (Not saying it has to be 100%, but heck 60-75% would be nice.)
3. Pick a different encounter for the pet to drop from.

The third point would ultimately change what the pet is since it would be coming from a different boss. But as it stands, Primordius is the 8th boss in, and if there's burn out or reduced desire for any gear from ToT, grinding 8 bosses in (including trash and potential wipes) is probably a pain form some if not most guilds.

That being said, if points 1 and 2 were addressed, I don't think 3 even needs to be considered.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » July 2nd, 2013, 12:40 pm

Gromagrim wrote:
Luciandk wrote:I think you misunderstood the coin roll change in 5.4. Currently you cannot get a pet when you use a coin on a pet dropping boss. Thats whats changing in 5.4, giving you a second chance on aquiring one.
Hello Lucian, we had a long discussion about this on the thread when it was announced, and though Mumper 'clarified' it, I'm not convinced about how it will work when the patch drops. This is why I've mentioned it here.

The patch note wasn't really unclear till people started muddling it by overthinking and assuming it said things it didn't. And since he did take the time to respond, its safe to put that speculation to rest... especially since what he said is exactly what you would expect based on the patch note itself before it got horribly twisted out of context.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » July 2nd, 2013, 1:58 pm

Quintessence wrote:I agree with many points made in this thread. Considering this pet is such a unique case, it being the only one that has different versions depending on raid difficulty level, Blizzard could have implemented the Viscous Horror better.

1. Release the Viscous Horror earlier in the tier.
2 . Increased droprate for harder difficulties. (Not saying it has to be 100%, but heck 60-75% would be nice.)
3. Pick a different encounter for the pet to drop from.

The third point would ultimately change what the pet is since it would be coming from a different boss. But as it stands, Primordius is the 8th boss in, and if there's burn out or reduced desire for any gear from ToT, grinding 8 bosses in (including trash and potential wipes) is probably a pain form some if not most guilds.

That being said, if points 1 and 2 were addressed, I don't think 3 even needs to be considered.
Agreed. Releasing it only a few months before the next tier of raiding was a misstep, and the drop rate is unreasonable for a vanity pet.
Adding a mount from Lei Shen would go a long way towards getting people to continue running the instance before it is a faceroll.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » July 2nd, 2013, 3:47 pm

Hopefully they see it as a failed experiment. On PTR, Viscous Horror was going to be only from heroic, and due to the uproar they relaxed it to normal/heroic. Thank goodness for that, but it's still an obnoxiously low droprate on a lockout boss that's not at all trivial to get to. The coin roll change would help get more to drop, in theory, but that change is coming at the same time that the new tier gets released, which will almost certainly reduce the number of people going through ToT.

Looking at prices again today, it's pretty scary (https://theunderminejournal.com/battlep ... ecies=1244 -- the top is for Illidan(H), scroll down for data from all realms). The price seems to be hovering in the 150k range, but with extreme variation across realms. There just aren't enough of these out there: some people are clearly selling them for low amounts without knowing their true scarcity, and some people are posting them for absurd prices just to see if someone will bite--up to 500k in at least one case.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » July 3rd, 2013, 2:15 am

I don't see why they should think it's a failed experiment just because it's expensive and rare. 150k is still cheaper then a soul trader.

They could just put it on the BMAH for 6.0. Or make a TCG expansion with expired LFR pets...

Gromagrim

Post by Gromagrim » July 3rd, 2013, 4:33 am

Gilneas wrote:The patch note wasn't really unclear till people started muddling it by overthinking and assuming it said things it didn't. And since he did take the time to respond, its safe to put that speculation to rest... especially since what he said is exactly what you would expect based on the patch note itself before it got horribly twisted out of context.
Problem being that we'd had multiple people saying they were already getting pets on coin rolls and many of us have been therefore 'wasting' coins on pets for a patch and a half! (NB even with this strategy and with 3 characters running at least LFR each week, I've still yet to see a pet from ToT)

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » July 3rd, 2013, 1:14 pm

Kring wrote:I don't see why they should think it's a failed experiment just because it's expensive and rare. 150k is still cheaper then a soul trader.

They could just put it on the BMAH for 6.0. Or make a TCG expansion with expired LFR pets...
If they put them on BMAH so soon after their initial release, or put them in the tank/healer LFD satchels, or otherwise made them more available, I think that would be a tacit admission that it was a failed experiment. Similar to how increasing the Qiraji Guardling spawn rate was a tacit admission that cramming a limited spawn pet into a tiny area--that everyone had been waiting a year for--was a failed experiment.

Reversing their stance on the Guardling was really no big deal, because it's not tradeable. It's much harder with Viscous Horror, because increasing the supply will devalue the old ones. People are not going to be happy if 100k+ pets from patch X.x suddenly become far less valuable in patch X.x+1. At the same time, they never released a pet like this before, so they probably had no idea how crazy the market would be. So whereas I doubt they intended for there to be a 100k+ BoE pet from raids, I don't see how they can fix the Horror without making things worse. I just hope they recognize the issues with Horror and don't implement a pet like this again.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » July 3rd, 2013, 1:29 pm

Wow just saw a Vicious Horror listed in Zul'Jin for 200k with no buy out. First one I've seen too. Needless to say it shall not be joining my collection anytime soon LOL.

Livingdeath
Top Rater
Pet Score:3525
BattleTag®:Doctor#1657
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Post by Livingdeath » July 3rd, 2013, 1:35 pm

I guess I just wish this was available on LFR. My guild and server are kind of dead, so the chances of seeing this pet on my server are next to nil. They could have the same drop rate, but at least having it on LFR would make it more accessible to people.

For me I can't justify spending such obscene amounts of gold for an in game pet that isn't from WoW TCG. It doesn't appear to be a great battle pet either.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » July 4th, 2013, 3:46 am

I am starting to see them fairly often on Ilidian in the 150k range.

One thing i don´t think has been mentioned here is that when 5.4 launches, then TOT will be available in ´openraid´ (cross-realm groups). It is extremely easy to find a group to do last tiers raids using openraid. I think if the price of this thing stays over 100k, you can bet openraid will have a ton of groups for it.

I don´t mind it the way it is. You have options. Openraid for it in 5.4, buy it for 150k or just wait an expansion an small group it.

It isn´t a particularly amazing pet, most people just want it for the OCD thing. I am fine with yet another pet being a 100k+ purchase like many of the TCG pets. I am actually more concerned about the mechanisms to get the Living Fluid.. that thing is going to dry up next patch, and disappear next expansion. If you like your risk-reward game... buy a few now and hold them til the middle of next expansion.

Nivrax
Pet Score:2635
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Nivrax » July 4th, 2013, 6:10 am

Assuming 1% drop rate and 100k worth, a 10 man kill of Primordious is 100k * 1/100 * 1/10 = 100g average for every person in group for killing him. I doubt you will see any groups forming to farm only the pet, as long as there is available one on AH, it's more likely/efficient to farm up that kind of money before seeing one drop AND winning a roll.

Gracies
Pet Score:5026
BattleTag®:Graciepriest#1638
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Gracies » July 4th, 2013, 6:22 am

Adashiel wrote:I'm on one of the larger servers and it only appears about once a week. It's been going for 80-100k, though. I thought about buying it, but since I'm saving up to buy DPS gear so I can get Clock 'Em, I decided against it. I figure it will start popping up on the AH more often in a month or so.

If it's any consolation, you will have no trouble getting Clock'em! I am a holy priest and I managed to get him a few days ago in my healy gear :D. You'll be just fine!

Grifter
Pet Score:2869
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Grifter » July 19th, 2013, 3:55 am

There is one in the Horde AH on EU Blackhand right now, for 470.000 g. :shock: Ambitious.

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » July 19th, 2013, 5:42 am

Wow, I managed to barter a deal with someone to get one of these, and ended up paying around the 85k mark. Based on the comments, it really does seem like a failed idea to lock a super rare pet behind such a mechanic. Aren't pets and cosmetic stuff supposed to be easier to get? Seems like a backwards step to lock stuff behind very difficult current content :(

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » July 19th, 2013, 11:13 am

Index wrote:Aren't pets and cosmetic stuff supposed to be easier to get?
No, not really. Many mounts and titles are obscenely difficult to get. I can't think of any pets off the top of my head that are harder to get.

Timka
MVP
Pet Score:4304
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Timka » July 19th, 2013, 11:21 am

I just got mine on Korgath from a trade barker for 20K (my offer). Yes, I feel incredibly lucky. Now if I could just get a darkmoon eye out of one of those damn bags.....