Share pet collecting news and advice.
Zeemonster424
Top Rater
Pet Score:10893
BattleTag®:Zerou#1674
Realm:Dragonblight-us
5.4 Engineering Pets.

Post by Zeemonster424 » June 28th, 2013, 11:36 am

Before I go dropping professions, I wanted to see if we could get some things straight. I'm not too keen on dropping Enchanting/Tailoring on my main, I've been collecting patterns since Vanilla... so that being said:

If I have 600 Engineering on an alt, do you think my main can use the pets? Speculation and discussion is fine, I just don't want to make a major mistake here!

Darqueshadow
Pet Score:4512
BattleTag®:Darqueshadow#1132
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Re: 5.4 Engineering Pets.

Post by Darqueshadow » June 28th, 2013, 11:44 am

i don't even thing blizzard will leave it where only Engineers can only learn it

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » June 28th, 2013, 11:49 am

So far there are no pets, once learned, you cannot use, except for the faction/guild rep pets. Nothing restricted by profession.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » June 28th, 2013, 11:49 am

No engi pets have ever been engineering limited. However you might need to be an engi yourself to make em, if their uncageable status never changes.

Zeemonster424
Top Rater

Post by Zeemonster424 » June 28th, 2013, 11:52 am

No, read the article on the front page of this site: The new pets in 5.4 will only be learnable by engineers.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/news/5-4-engineering-pets-epic-pets-postponed/

"only engineers with max skill level will be able to craft and learn them."

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864

Post by Quintessence » June 28th, 2013, 11:54 am

Zeemonster424 wrote:If I have 600 Engineering on an alt, do you think my main can use the pets? Speculation and discussion is fine, I just don't want to make a major mistake here!
I think you only need to have 600 engineering to craft the pet. Since the pets are Bind on Pick Up, only 600 engineers will be able to learn the pets too. But once they're in your pet journal, I doubt there will be any type of profession restriction.

- Need 600 engineering to craft and learn.
- No restrictions on using the pet once it's in your journal.

I'll check the PTR just be sure, though.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:13968
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Mastr » June 28th, 2013, 12:00 pm

I'd wait a bit.

When the Sandstone drake mount was first announced it was Alchemy only so I dropped my max level inscription with all recipes to farm all the mats to power level to 525. After I had all the mats they changed it to boe and now I still have tons of herbs from that fiasco.

You think I would have learned because when I first started collecting pets you could only have one engineering pet so I dropped a profession, mined all the mats to craft one of the pets and dropped mining to level engineering. I made the pet, dropped engineering and releveled herbs. They then changed it so you could get the second pet... so I did it all over again with the mining and the engineering and dropped for herbalism again. Next I started collecting mounts and mined all the mats, AGAIN releveled engineering to make the mounts that I flew twice, then dropped engineering again. Now all these pets and mounts are on the AH for anyone to buy.

Needless to say I am in no rush to drop a profession and start it all over again. People will complain and blues will stand their ground at first, but soon they will reverse it and make these new pets boe. They may be expensive like the JC mounts but you will be able to get them without being an engineer. (crosses fingers)

Zeemonster424
Top Rater

Post by Zeemonster424 » June 28th, 2013, 12:11 pm

I dropped Blacksmithing on an alt that only had 75 points in it, and started leveling Engineering, with a budget. I won't go too crazy and dump thousands of potential pet-buying gold into it until I'm sure :)

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » June 28th, 2013, 1:03 pm

I'm positive they will ultimately be tradable. Whether that's after they are learned or before, they won't be restricted to just engineers/people that have characters with engineering.
No engi pets have ever been engineering limited
The originals were. Lil' Smoky and the Pet Bombling. That was way back in classic though.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » June 28th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Even if only the engineer can learn it to begin with, you would probably be able to cage it. After that, I would assume it would be fair game.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864

Post by Quintessence » June 28th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Dakaf wrote:Even if only the engineer can learn it to begin with, you would probably be able to cage it. After that, I would assume it would be fair game.
Currently both pets are not cageable on the PTR. Could change before 5.4 is released, but you never know.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » June 29th, 2013, 12:44 am

I'm 99.99% confident the pets will at least be cageable / tradable. The only thing I'm kind of worried about is the goblin / gnome spec restriction. Fifteen days to craft one is still kind of huge though, not to mention you have to make sure to log in for your daily CD, and then there's the awesome Golem mount.

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » June 29th, 2013, 4:08 am

I agree with the others that those pets will most definitely be tradeable in some way.
They seem to be the counterpart of the Blacksmithing weapons introduced with 5.2.
After all, why would it take so long to make one if only Engineers could use them? It's probably to increase their value substantially and give Engineers another source for income.

Dakender
MVP
Pet Score:9654
BattleTag®:Dakender#1566
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Dakender » June 29th, 2013, 9:50 am

Here are a couple screenshots for ya. Last couple days I have not got it to drop at all, but today, 6 kills, 6 drops. All items were learned from the first book I read, so the other 5 did nothing.

And wow, it's going to take days just to make the parts for ONE item... Jard's Peculiar Energy Source can only be made 1 at a time, and has a 1 day cooldown. Making Pierre and Rascal-Bot both will take 30 days.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13538
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » June 29th, 2013, 1:56 pm

I best get my alts engineering leveling methinks. She's 574 now so thankfully not too far off.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Zeemonster424
Top Rater

Post by Zeemonster424 » June 29th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Dakender wrote:
And wow, it's going to take days just to make the parts for ONE item... Jard's Peculiar Energy Source can only be made 1 at a time, and has a 1 day cooldown. Making Pierre and Rascal-Bot both will take 30 days.
Ouch, that's very very painful...

But when I look at the fact that it's going to take 76 days to get all my pets to 25, that's not so bad...

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » June 29th, 2013, 10:09 pm

Any idea if those power sources will be able to be sped up with spirits like living steel?

Thanks!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » June 30th, 2013, 2:53 am

Wow, I bet those pets are going to be expensive once they become cageable. It may be even cheaper to maxlevel Engineering instead.

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » June 30th, 2013, 7:33 am

Dakaf wrote:Any idea if those power sources will be able to be sped up with spirits like living steel?

Thanks!
Sofar I haven't seen any mention of it, unfortunately. The new tailoring CD seems to be the same, daily CD only, no other way to craft the new cloth.