What is your preffered pet breed?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Tempestnight
MVP
Pet Score:11559
BattleTag®:Tempest#1262
Realm:Frostmourne-us
What is your preffered pet breed?

Post by Tempestnight » June 25th, 2013, 10:05 pm

I have been an avid WoW pet collector for many years and a gung-ho battler with MoP. But it was only today (literally today) that Itook any real notice of the breeds and their meanings for the pets.

I'm not a good theory crafter or (or even close :oops: ) but from my little looking and experimenting i think my preferred breeds so far are H/P and P/S.

I understand there are of-course better breeds for certain strats or activities but whats your favorite breed and why? :?:

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Re: What is your preffered pet breed?

Post by Jadax » June 25th, 2013, 10:35 pm

As you said: Whichever suits the strategy.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » June 25th, 2013, 10:59 pm

Jadax wrote:As you said: Whichever suits the strategy.
This. Some pets also perform better as a certain breed, but each will have a purpose, especially in PvP.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » June 26th, 2013, 5:08 am

Not every pet is available in every breed, so this limits the options.

Next I look at the pet's abilities, do they have a stun? (e.g. Kick, Clobber), a switch? (e.g. Death Grip, Nether Portal) or a block? (e.g. Decoy, Cocoon Strike). These beneift most from going first by denying the enemy a turn.

Do they have an attack that relies on going first (e.g. Flank) or last (e.g. Tail Swipe).

Do they have an attack which ignores speed (e.g. Surge, Trihorn Charge).

These will all dictate whether speed is the most important stat. I then check which speeds are available to the rare pet at level 25. Taking 276 as an average, I see if the pet can reach 289, or more importantly 300+. This may mean I choose a S/S or P/S breed. (for Tail Swipe, Surge etc. going last is actually preferable, so I acctively AVOID speed for these).

Otherwise, I'll be looking to use a P/P breed - These pets not only hit hardest, but also heal heaviest and DoT best. If I can't get P/P, I'll look for P/S (if the speed will be 289+) or H/P. At a push I'll take P/B.

H/H is useful in a few circumstances, mainly for pets with a % heal - e.g. Humanoid racial or Wish.

Note that some pets only come in B/B or other sub-optimal breeds. This may be because the pet has a very powerful moveset and the developers are limiting the pet in this way - don't always be put off by it.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » June 26th, 2013, 9:13 am

I like PPs best.

Pure health breeds mostly only have a bit more health, not enough for a big hit, only mediocre at best. Getting more health just ensures you - might - last one round more. Speed is a funny stat, either its wasted points if you want to go 2nd or good if you want to go first but you will need just 1 more speed stat than your opponent, any more speed is wasted aswell. It just seems power is the most reliable stat, you can't get enough of it. Also looking at damage/accuracy ratios, with more power you could get more reliable attacks. Not that theres many cases, but in theory.

But in any case, moveset+racial, tweak the possible breed to the pet, individual judgement.

Pocket Reaver and Personal World Destroyer has almost same moveset. PWD is singlebreed HP, the Pocket Reaver can reach 341ATK as PP, quite powerful with the Supercharge and a Metal Fist to the face. If I chose Pocket Reaver HP I'll get a copy of the PWD, what use is that?

That's why I hate and love breeds, such a time consumption but when done right, quite powerful pets can emerge.

In a PvE aspect you will know your opponents speed and can tweak the speed on your pet accordingly and get the stats used in either health or power and still be fastest/slowest depending on what you want. In PvP aspect you have a hunch of whats popular to use right now but you can't know for certain what you're going to meet, what breeds they have. Everyone wants to go first in PvP to control the fight so people stack speed like madmen and hope they have the highest speed stat.

Simmias
Pet Score:4458
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Simmias » May 15th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Tahsfenz wrote:
Jadax wrote:As you said: Whichever suits the strategy.
This. Some pets also perform better as a certain breed, but each will have a purpose, especially in PvP.
Blackfuse bombling P/P breed imo, is the best one for pvp battles. The hp/hp one is just too weak.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » May 16th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Simmias wrote: Blackfuse bombling P/P breed imo, is the best one for pvp battles. The hp/hp one is just too weak.
Though H/H is really great for explode teams in PvE. I relish every Ti'un explode kill I get! I also use him against Socks (Sully) in the CT. A good explode kill followed by a pet that can stun keeps Unholy Ascension from kicking in.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829