Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For beginners

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Phraide
Pet Score:1785
Realm:Cho'gall-eu
Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For beginners

Post by Phraide » June 5th, 2013, 1:29 pm

• :!: UPDATE: We'd like to thank Phraide and everyone that's contributed to this guide! However this guide will no longer be updated to include changes in 5.4 and on. This thread will remain open for the time being to allow for continued discussion.

A new guide for Patch 5.4 can be [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7023]found here[/url].

Thank you again,
    Admin Team
/edit2: added a team for Goz Banefury
/edit1: added a team for Brok

Introduction
You are new to pet battles and are looking for an efficient way to level your pets? Look no further! With tamer dailies, you will be able to level up to 3 pets from lvl 1 to lvl 25 every day, with a mere 1-2 hours time investment. You will also gain Valor Points, a lot of Lesser Charms of Good Fortune, and some Battle Stones (items which allow you to upgrade your pets to Rare quality) in the process!

This guide is designed for beginners. You will be able to complete every single strategy here with only 2 pets: an Emerald Proto-Whelp and an Anubisath Idol.
If you already have a solid pool of lvl 25 pets, I recommand you to check my other guide, [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4314]Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For veterans[/url]. There, you will find way faster setups and strategies.

Goals
- Only 2 pets used throughout the entire guide: Emerald Proto-Whelp and Anubisath Idol.
- The teams have only 2 lvl 25 pets, leaving room for a lowlvl “carry pet” for leveling.
- Winning as reliably as possible. This means that some strategies will be a bit sluggish.

Addons
I strongly recommand you [url=http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/petbattle-info]PetBattleInfo[/url] to monitor the enemies' cooldowns.

Description
In the guide I use these parameters: [Pet name] [(Skillset)]

- The number 1 – 3 in front of the pet names signify which pet you start with and which pet gets switched in next.
- Skillset: 1,1,1 means the first ability slot for all three abilities. 2,2,2 means the second ability slot for all three abilities. 1,2,2 means the first ability slot for the first ability, and the second ability slot for the second and third ability.
- Concerning carry pets and XP: Usually, I switch in the carry pet when my first pet dies, then immediately switch the carry pet out for the last lvl 25 pet. This way, you will get xp without having to make an action or take a hit. In some battles, I let the carry pet switch in at a different time for tactical purposes.

Pet Shop
First, you will need an Anubisath Idol. You can loot it on the twin Emperors in AQ40. This is a very easy win nowadays. You can kill them once every week on each of your characters.

You will also need an Emerald Proto-Whelp. Go north of Scholazar Basin, and check for a breed 4 of any quality (Poor, Common, Uncommon, Rare, whatever). If you don't know what a breed is, then [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/breeds/]read this guide here[/url]. Once you have found your Emerald Proto-Whelp [breed 4], upgrade it to Uncommon quality with a [url=http://www.wowhead.com/item=92742/polished-battle-stone]Polished Battle-Stone[/url]. You can buy one for 1000 Justice Points from [url=http://www.wowhead.com/npc=64607]Commander Lo Ping[/url]. No worries, Uncommon quality is enough for this guide.

You are now ready to go!

Teams and strategies

Equip your Safari Hat!

Aki the Chosen
1: Carry pet
2: Anubisath Idol (1,1,1)
3: Emerald Proto-Whelp (2,1,1)

vs Chirrup
- Attack with your Carry pet > switch to Anubisath Idol
- Sandstorm > Crush until Chirrup dies
vs Stormlash
- Sandstorm > Crush until Stormlash dies
- If Stormlash cast Thunderstorm again, then immediately recast Sandstorm
vs Whiskers
- From here on, cast Deflection when Whiskers has dived, Sandstorm when off cooldown, Crush as a filler
- Switch to Emerald Proto-Whelp when your Anubisath Idol dies
- Chain cast Emerald Bite, unless Whiskers has Dive off cooldown (then cast Proto-Strike)

Courageous Yon
1: Emerald Proto-Whelp (2,2,1)
2: Carry pet
3: Anubisath Idol [-] (2,2,1)

vs Piqua
- Emerald Bite > Emerald Presence > Emerald Bite until Piqua dies
vs Lapin
- Emerald Presence > Proto-Strike > Emerald Bite until your Emerald Proto-Whelp dies
- Switch to Carry pet > switch to Anubisath Idol
- Stoneskin > Demolish until Lapin dies
vs Bleat
(- If your Emerald Proto-Whelp is still alive at this point, cast Emerald Bite until it dies > switch to Carry pet > switch to Anubisath Idol)
- From here on, cast Deflection when Bleat has the Chew buff, recast Stoneskin when there is 1-turn left on your buff, Demolish as a filler

Burning Pandaren Spirit
1: Anubisath Idol (1,2,1)
2: Emerald Proto-Whelp (2,2,1)
3: Carry pet (should have 500HP to survive)

vs Crimson
- Crush > Stoneskin > Crush until Crimson dies
vs Pandaren Fire Spirit
- Deflection
- Switch to Carry pet > switch to Emerald Proto-Whelp
- Emerald Presence > Proto-Strike > Emerald Bite until Pandaren Fire Spirit dies
vs Glowy
- Emerald Presence > Emerald Bite until the end

- Notes: If, at any point in the fight, your Emerald Proto-Whelp dies, then switch to Anubisath Idol, cast and maintain Stoneskin, and chain cast Crush (and cast Deflection when Pandaren Fire Spirit has Conflagrate off cooldown).

Seeker Zusshi
1: Anubisath Idol (1,1,1)
2: Emerald Proto-Whelp (2,2,1)
3: Carry pet

vs Diamond
- Sandstorm > Deflection
- From here on, cast Deflection when Diamond has Howling Blast off cooldown, Sandstorm when off cooldown, Crush as a filler
vs Mollus
- Switch to Emerald Proto-Whelp
- Proto-Strike > Emerald Presence
- From here on, cast Proto-Strike when off cooldown, Emerald Presence when there is 1-turn left on your buff, Emerald Bite as a filler
vs Skimmer
- Emerald Bite until your Emerald Proto-Whelp dies
- From here on, cast Deflection when Skimmer has the Pump buff, Sandstorm when off cooldown, Crush as a filler

Wastewalker Shu
2: Emerald Proto-Whelp (2,2,2)

vs Crusher
- From here on, cast Deflection when there is 1-turn left on your Whirlpool debuff, Sandstorm when off cooldown, Crush as a filler
vs Pounder
- From here on, cast Deflection when Pounder has Rupture off cooldown, Sandstorm when off cooldown, Crush as a filler
- Emerald Presence
- From here on, cast Emerald Presence when there is 1-turn left on your buff, Emerald Dream when you have less than half of your HP, Emerald Bite as a filler
vs Mutilator
- From here on, cast Emerald Presence when there is 1-turn left on your buff, Emerald Dream when you have less than half of your HP, Emerald Bite as a filler

Flowing Pandaren Spirit
1: Carry pet (should have 500HP to survive)
3: Emerald Proto-Whelp (2,1,1)

vs Marley
- Deflection > Sandstorm
- From here on, cast Deflection when there is 1-turn left on your Whirlpool debuff or when Marley has dived, Sandstorm when off cooldown, Crush as a filler
vs Tiptoe
- Chain cast Crush, unless your Sandstorm is off cooldown (then cast it)
- Emerald Bite until Tiptoe dies
vs Pandaren Water Spirit
(- If your Anubisath Idol is still alive at this point, cast Crush until it dies > switch to Emerald Proto-Whelp)
- Proto-Strike when there is 1-turn left on Whirlpool and Geyser
- Emerald Bite all the way

Mo'ruk
1: Emerald Proto-Whelp (2,2,2)
3: Anubisath Idol (1,1,1)

vs Woodcarver
- Start with an Emerald Bite on round 1
- Then, repeat this exact sequence until Woodcarver dies: [start] Emerald Presence > Emerald Dream > 2x Emerald bite [repeat]. If you do it right, you will cast Emerald Presence each time Woodcarver has burrowed.
vs Lightstalker
- Emerald Presence > Emerald Bite until Lightstalker dies
vs Needleback
- Emerald Bite until your Emerald Proto-Whelp dies
- From here on, cast Deflection when Needleback has Headbutt off cooldown, Sandstorm when off cooldown, Crush as a filler

Farmer Nishi
3: Emerald Proto-Whelp (2,2,1)

vs Siren
- Sandstorm > Crush until Siren dies
- If Siren recast Sunlight, then recast Sandstorm
vs Toothbreaker
- Sandstorm > wait until Toothbreaker is back > Deflection
- From here on, cast Deflection when Toothbreaker has Leech Seed off cooldown, recast Sandstorm when it fades, Crush as a filler
vs Brood of Mothran
- Switch to Emerald Proto-Whelp
- Proto-Strike > Emerald Presence
- From here on, cast Proto-Strike when off cooldown, recast Emerald Presence when there is 1-turn left on your buff, Emerald Bite as a filler

Hyuna of the Shrines
1: Emerald Proto-Whelp (2,2,1)

vs Skyshaper
- Emerald Presence > Emerald Bite until Skyshaper dies
vs Fangor
- Emerald Bite > Proto-strike > Emerald Bite until your Emerald Proto Whelp dies
- Sandstorm > Crush until Fangor dies
vs Dor the Wall
(- If your Emerald Proto-Whelp is still alive at this point, cast Emerald Bite until it dies > switch to Carry pet > switch to Anubisath Idol)
- From here on, cast Deflection when Dor has Headbutt off cooldown, Sandstorm when off cooldown, Crush as a filler

Whispering Pandaren Spirit
3: Emerald Proto-Whelp (2,2,2)

vs Dusty
- Deflection > Sandstorm
- From here on, cast Deflection when off cooldown, Sandstorm when off cooldown, Crush as a filler
vs Whispertail
- Crush until your Anubisath Idol dies
- Emerald Presence > Emerald Bite until Whispertail dies
vs Pandaren Air Spirit
- From here on, cast Emerald Presence when there is 1-turn left on your buff, Emerald Dream if you have less than half of your HP, Emerald Bite as a filler

Blood Knight Antari
1: Emerald Proto-Whelp (1,1,1)

vs Arcanus
- Proto-Strike > Breath until Arcanus dies
vs Jadefire
- Ancient Blessing > Breath until your Emerald Proto-Whelp dies
- From here on, cast Deflection when Jadefire has Conflagrate off cooldown, Sandstorm when off cooldown, Crush as a filler
vs Netherbite
- Cast Deflection when Netherbite is under Phase Shift, Sandstorm when Netherbite is under Sould Ward, Crush as a filler

Brok
1: Carry pet (should have 500 HP to survive)
2: Emerald Proto-Whelp (1,2,1)
3: Anubisath Idol (2,2,2)

vs Kali
- Attack with your Carry pet > switch to Emerald Proto-Whelp
- Breath > Proto-Strike > Breath until Kali dies
vs Ashtail
- Breath until your Emerald Proto-Whelp dies > switch to Anubisath Idol
- Stoneskin > Demolish until Ashtail dies
vs Incinderous
- Stoneskin > Demolish until Incinderous has less than 290 HP > Rupture
- Recast Stoneskin when you have 1-turn left on your buff

Goz Banefury
1: Anubisath Idol (1,1,2)
3: Emerald Proto-Whelp (1,2,2)

vs Twilight
- Sandstorm (recast it whenever it is off cooldown) > Crush until Twilight has less than 350 HP > Rupture
- At this point, if Twilight resurrects, then cast Sandstorm when off cooldown, Crush as a filler
vs Amythel
- Crush (or Sandstorm when off cooldown) until your Anubisath Idol dies
- Emerald Presence
- From here on, cast Emerald Presence when there is 1-turn left on your buff, Emerald Dream when you have less than half of your HP, Breath as a filler
vs Helios
- From here on, cast Emerald Presence when there is 1-turn left on your buff, Emerald Dream when you have less than half of your HP, Breath as a filler

Obalis
1: Anubisath Idol (2,2,1)
3: Emerald Proto-Whelp (2,2,2)

vs Pyth
- Stoneskin > Demolish until Pyth dies
vs Spring
- Demolish until your Anubisath Idol dies
- Switch to Carry pet > switch to Emerald Proto Whelp
- Emerald Presence
- From here on, cast Emerald Presence when there is 1-turn left on your buff, Emerald Dream if you have less than half of your HP, Emerald Bite as a filler
vs Clatter
- Cast Emerald Presence when there is 1-turn left on your buff, Emerald Dream if you have less than half of your HP, Emerald Bite as a filler
Last edited by Phraide on June 6th, 2013, 9:26 am, edited 6 times in total.

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Re: Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For beginners

Post by Anasa » June 5th, 2013, 2:32 pm

You continue to be an inspiration and a hero.

Kudos on these great guides! Someone sticky this quick!

Matafleur
Pet Score:2598
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Matafleur » June 6th, 2013, 7:17 am

Wow, nice guide! Thanks for this, I just upgraded my emerald proto whelp and finished levelling him. I'm going to try this today :)

Phraide

Post by Phraide » June 6th, 2013, 9:43 am

- Added a team for Brok
- Added a team for Goz
Anasa wrote:You continue to be an inspiration and a hero.

Kudos on these great guides! Someone sticky this quick!
Thanks ;)
Matafleur wrote:Wow, nice guide! Thanks for this, I just upgraded my emerald proto whelp and finished levelling him. I'm going to try this today :)
Hope this helps!

Catalytic
Pet Score:4337
BattleTag®:Lyrics#1788
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Catalytic » June 7th, 2013, 11:41 am

Phraide, you're awesome. Thanks for posting these to help folks get started!

Threnody
Pet Score:3078
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Threnody » June 7th, 2013, 7:02 pm

I've reported this thread for awesomeness :) I hope it gets stickied soon.

You rock, Phraide!

Luthar

Post by Luthar » June 8th, 2013, 12:09 am

You are missing the Bordin Steadyfist with this strategy. Please add. Thanks

Daladani
Pet Score:1961
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Daladani » June 9th, 2013, 8:43 am

Nice guide - though I don't think you can call it 'for beginners' unless you mean beginners luck as the Emerald Welp can be a hard pet to capture on high pop busy CRZ'd realms.

I have spent several days now off and on for hours in Scholozar without one spawn, plenty of people around all seemingly camping for something, though most seem to be sitting on the Unborn Valk spot.

I'll keep trying, but I'd love to see a guide on how to use captured wild pets that aren't on ridiculous spawns, nor like some of the Wowhead guides, assuming everyone has a level 25 of every store, super rare, and TCG pet.

Edit: After multiple days found one spawn - a common - still need a stone to upgrade, which could be from now to some fairly distant time in the future.

Phraide

Post by Phraide » June 9th, 2013, 9:55 am

Daladani wrote: Edit: After multiple days found one spawn - a common - still need a stone to upgrade, which could be from now to some fairly distant time in the future.
If you want to follow this guide, Uncommon quality on your drake is enough. It won't be that hard to gather 1000 justice points to buy a Polished Battle-Stone from Commander Lo Ping ;) .

Selina
Pet Score:7553
BattleTag®:Tigerlily#1408
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Selina » June 10th, 2013, 12:47 am

Thanks for the great guide! :D

Cat666
Pet Score:7533
Realm:Saurfang-eu

Post by Cat666 » June 12th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Awesome guide. You have missed the Thundering Pandaren Spirit though so not sure if it's possible with just these 2.

Phraide

Post by Phraide » June 13th, 2013, 7:02 am

Major Payne and Thundering Pandaren Spirit are extremely hard (if not downright impossible) fights with this setup. I'm working on a strat for Bordin Steadyfist atm. After that, I'll try to figure out a reliable strat for both of these fights ;) .

Cat666
Pet Score:7533
Realm:Saurfang-eu

Post by Cat666 » June 13th, 2013, 9:59 am

Phraide wrote:Major Payne and Thundering Pandaren Spirit are extremely hard (if not downright impossible) fights with this setup. I'm working on a strat for Bordin Steadyfist atm. After that, I'll try to figure out a reliable strat for both of these fights ;) .
I guessed as much! Still a very helpful guide.

Iriya
Pet Score:2034
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Iriya » June 15th, 2013, 10:27 am

How important is the Emerald Proto-Whelp being P/P? After about an hour of camping I managed to pick up a P/S Uncommon one, would it have any real problems with these strategies?

Felidae
Pet Score:2414
Realm:Baelgun-eu

Post by Felidae » June 17th, 2013, 2:47 am

I became tired to alt-tab so I made a printable version of your excellent guide. Sadly I haven't posted in the forums 8 times yet so I'm not able to share the link within this post.

So MSG me if you'd like to have the pdf version :)

Kojiiko
Pet Score:1360
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Kojiiko » June 19th, 2013, 8:32 am

Abit confused, it says that I need to get the Proto-whelp but isnt that level 21 pet and if Im starting out with no level battles yet .. how is it possible to get it? Dont I need to have a pet that is level 21 or higher?

Dakender
MVP
Pet Score:9654
BattleTag®:Dakender#1566
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Dakender » June 19th, 2013, 6:23 pm

On Farmer Nishi, you switch out for proto-whelp on brood of Mothallus.... well, my Anubisath is still at full health. Switching him out takes a lot of points away from the carry pet. I leave him in, just use deflect when Mothallus does burrow and he'll end up with over half life with normal rotation like you do on him. So you could actually bring 2 carry pets if you want on this one. Just a thought :)

Daladani
Pet Score:1961
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Daladani » June 21st, 2013, 10:57 am

I've had the Idol solo other trainer as well, Dakender, such as Aki. Other times it is more like the Proto-Whelp soloing the trainer.

On the flip side, some trainers still have loads of RNG and you can very easily lose using the strats listed if you get a couple of misses, especially on the opening pet. If that happens, just try again and pray for better RNG.

Obalis I actually gave up using the strat the other day as I was getting miss after miss against Pyth with the idol while he was hitting me hard. I ended up using a Clockwork Gnome in place of Idol, though even that got dicey when Fist missed and Pyth landed nothing but crits.

Hyuna is another trainer where I've had a really bad string of RNG such that the welp was dying to the first pets dots before getting a hit on Fangor, then having the Idol in really bad shape come Dor.

I still use the strategy, but if the Whelp misses a couple times while taking heavy damage to dots on Skyshaper - I just abandon and try again.

And I think, but not 100% sure, but I believe it is Dor who will prioritize the heal if it comes off cooldown the same time as their heavy damage move, so don't use Deflection if Headbutt is up along with the heal - wait for the heal then use Deflection.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » June 21st, 2013, 3:01 pm

Daladani wrote:And I think, but not 100% sure, but I believe it is Dor who will prioritize the heal if it comes off cooldown the same time as their heavy damage move
Yes, Dor always prioritizes the heal over headbutt, unless he's at full health.