PVP Q&A from GPBL Season 2 Champion

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Maniack
Pet Score:1708
Realm:Tichondrius-us
PVP Q&A from GPBL Season 2 Champion

Post by Maniack » May 29th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Hello.

This is Maniack, actual champion of Global Pet Battle League Season 2.

I made this post with the purpose of helping those people struggling with pvp pet battles.

I dont really know how or where to start, so I'll just leave this open for any questions regards PVP pet battles

I will list the 2 teams that I use below:

Team 1
Ghostly Skull Using Death Coil, Ghostly Bite, Unholy Ascension
Enchanted Broom with Batter, Sweep, Wind-up
Crow with Alpha Strike, Call Darkness, Nocturnal Strike
Strategy:
Open with Ghostly skull, do as much damage as possible, and when dead, use Unholy Ascension, this will debuff the entire enemy team with 25% damage taken for 9 rounds.
Then use Enchanted Broom to do, again, as much damage as possible using Sweep and Wind-up at will depending on the situation, Note, since broom is a magic pet it will normally tank pretty well because of its type passive.
Finish with Crow, mine is S/S breed, this way i can be sure I WILL go first and finish off the entire team with still 3-4 turns left on the Unholy ascension debuff. :D

Team 2
Flayer Youngling using Blitz , Deflection , Kick
Crawling Claw using Agony , Death Grip, Curse of Doom
Scalded Basilisk Hatchling using Crystal Prison, Feign Death, Thrash
Strategy:
This one is a bit more complicated, and i cant actually make it step by step.
Since this team works situationally, you will need alot of experience in PVP to play it perfectly.
The main goal of this team is to distrupt, to stop them from doing any kind of combo or strategy, and this team is capable of doing it with ANY of the pets involved.

-------
One advice which I think it is the most important: Play, play, play, play.... experience is the most important thing you will need to beat your oponents, because you will learn what type of ability a particular pet will use, and what you can do against that in certain situations.
After you learned how to react against something, you will learn how to prevent, and when you achieve that, you will win 9/10 matches.
Again, experience is what will get you to win :D

Hope this helps a bit.
If you need any help in game, here is my battle tag, we could skype or do vent, if necessary :D

Battletag Maniack#1939

Risk
Pet Score:3176
Realm:Drenden-us

Re: PVP Q&A from GPBL Season 2 Champion

Post by Risk » May 30th, 2013, 5:44 pm

This is an awesome post! I started a pet battle PVP blog and I was wondering if you would mind if I posted this (with full credit to you of course). I think these teams show a lot of thought and it makes sense why you are successful with them. The site is: www.tinygladiators.com :)
www.tinygladiators.com

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » May 30th, 2013, 6:00 pm

I think I'll be giving team 1 a try, subbing my s/s raven for the crow and see how I do.

Jimbodan
Pet Score:8469
BattleTag®:jimbodan#1642
Realm:Moonrunner-us

Post by Jimbodan » May 30th, 2013, 8:04 pm

I've been seeing TONS of Anub Idols and Kun Lai Runts lately. What would be in your opinion the best counter to these 2?

Jimbodan

Post by Jimbodan » May 31st, 2013, 7:34 am

I had a couple more questions. I've been playing the first team you listed and I've been doing really well with it, so thank you for posting! What do you do against teams full of switcher pets (Crawling Claw, Broom, Etc..) when I go up against teams with these it seems like I can never get an Unholy Ascension off or if I do my team has been severely hurt from all the switching. Also What do you do if your opponent leads with something strong against undead? Do you still use the Ghostly Skull?

Maniack

Post by Maniack » May 31st, 2013, 4:12 pm

Risk wrote:This is an awesome post! I started a pet battle PVP blog and I was wondering if you would mind if I posted this (with full credit to you of course). I think these teams show a lot of thought and it makes sense why you are successful with them. The site is: http://www.tinygladiators.com :)
Yes sir, you can use it for sure! :D I'm glad to help

Maniack

Post by Maniack » May 31st, 2013, 4:14 pm

Jimbodan wrote:I've been seeing TONS of Anub Idols and Kun Lai Runts lately. What would be in your opinion the best counter to these 2?
Without doubt, my team 2, with the claw doing lots of UD damage, and the lockdown that flayer and basilisk bring, it is a perfect counter.

Maniack

Post by Maniack » May 31st, 2013, 4:15 pm

Tahsfenz wrote:I think I'll be giving team 1 a try, subbing my s/s raven for the crow and see how I do.
Happy to hear about it, hope you enjoy it and that it works for you :D

Maniack

Post by Maniack » May 31st, 2013, 4:23 pm

Jimbodan wrote:I had a couple more questions. I've been playing the first team you listed and I've been doing really well with it, so thank you for posting! What do you do against teams full of switcher pets (Crawling Claw, Broom, Etc..) when I go up against teams with these it seems like I can never get an Unholy Ascension off or if I do my team has been severely hurt from all the switching. Also What do you do if your opponent leads with something strong against undead? Do you still use the Ghostly Skull?
Im really happy to hear about your success with the team I posted :D

As of your question, I guess it is all situational, when facing switcher teams, you will have to predict what they will do, for example, a user with a claw, will normally open with agony or curse of doom, following by either of both, and then the 3rd move will be a grip, so, you can switch to a pet of yours to actually take the damage and grip and that will switch ur ghostly skull back front, leaving u 5 rounds till next grip.
So, my advice is to actually outplay and predict your opponent, this is more important than what pets they have or you have.
Sometimes, or, actually most of the times, i do unholy ascension before my ghostly skull is completely dead, anticipating grips, or stuns, so i can actually get it off before they do something to prevent it. and then i still get 1 more turn to get a nice big hit on them :D
For the second question, if your opponent leads with something strong against undead, stick with your plan, and try to time your unholy ascension before you are dead on the 1 extra turn, so you actually get off UA and then follow with a big hit.

I hope this works, and i hope i explained myself. Im pretty bad at writing lol :D

Invictus
Pet Score:3367
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Invictus » May 31st, 2013, 6:38 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing some of your teams!

I have been using something very similar to your team 2, and it has a very high win rate. The biggest problem I encounter with it though is when I fight a team with a Magical Crawdad using Renewing Mists and Wish - I can't ever burst it down and the interrupts don't help a whole lot. Any tips?

Maniack

Post by Maniack » May 31st, 2013, 10:16 pm

Invictus wrote: Thanks a lot for sharing some of your teams!

I have been using something very similar to your team 2, and it has a very high win rate. The biggest problem I encounter with it though is when I fight a team with a Magical Crawdad using Renewing Mists and Wish - I can't ever burst it down and the interrupts don't help a whole lot. Any tips?
What pets are you using exactly?
With my team, I only use as much cc as i can and damage avoidance, anticipating their Wish with a Grip could be of use, or stunning the crawdad with the basilisk and do as much damage as possible, forcing the wish on the crawdad itself so you avoid big damage, since crawdad does not do alot of damage, it is just situational, i guess i cant give u a strong tip or a step by step guide.

A S/S flayer and a H/S basilisk can solo a crawdad even with big heals from wish, your crawling claw is there to put some pressure and to distrupt their strategy with grips, also, stuns and feign death distrupt, aswel as deflection and kick.

Jimbodan

Post by Jimbodan » June 1st, 2013, 7:13 am

Thank you again!
Maniack wrote:
I hope this works, and i hope i explained myself. Im pretty bad at writing lol :D
Don't sell yourself short, you did a great job of explaining it!

I had a couple more questions (hope you don't mind all the questions). When do you use Death Coil vs. Ghostly Bite? I find a lot of the time that due to the stun I don't even use Ghostly Bite. If I do use it then I almost always do it either right at the start (usually against a Humanoid) or else I'll use it only if it will finish someone off. Most fights I usually just spam Death Coil.

Similar thing with Batter vs. Wind-Up for the Broom. Usually I'll just spam Batter unless I wanna switch the opposing pet out with Sweep. The only time I really use Wind-Up is if my Broom is slower or if the opponent has some sort of mitigation like Sand Storm or Shell Shield up.

Is it important to always to go the Broom after the Skull dies or is it ok to go to the Crow next depending on match-ups?

Maniack

Post by Maniack » June 1st, 2013, 10:04 am

Jimbodan wrote: Don't sell yourself short, you did a great job of explaining it!

I had a couple more questions (hope you don't mind all the questions). When do you use Death Coil vs. Ghostly Bite? I find a lot of the time that due to the stun I don't even use Ghostly Bite. If I do use it then I almost always do it either right at the start (usually against a Humanoid) or else I'll use it only if it will finish someone off. Most fights I usually just spam Death Coil.

Similar thing with Batter vs. Wind-Up for the Broom. Usually I'll just spam Batter unless I wanna switch the opposing pet out with Sweep. The only time I really use Wind-Up is if my Broom is slower or if the opponent has some sort of mitigation like Sand Storm or Shell Shield up.

Is it important to always to go the Broom after the Skull dies or is it ok to go to the Crow next depending on match-ups?
Thank you :D

I dont mind all questions at all :D

So, answering your first question, I usually spam death coil till i have like 200hp then use unholy ascension and then when im on the undead extra turn i do ghostly bite. It is most likely i will never use ghostly bite on the regular turn, because if i keep healing myself i can do more damage and stay alive at the same time.
Its been a couple of times when i already did unholy ascension and the enemy pet is at 300hp and im on the undead extra turn, and then suddently, and honestly, i dont know why, but the enemy switches pets probably to not let die his current pet, but my ghostly bite is already on the queue so when the fresh pet comes, boom 900 hit lol.
Even if he doesnt switch the pet with unholy ascension and ghostly bite, you will have most likely killed the current pet and left a nice debuff on enemy team, so ghostly skull paid its price :D and was worth bringing it in.

Second question, you can use broom and its abilities at will :) what i do though, is when i first get to use the broom after the skull is dead, i imediately use sweep, since the last enemy pet is probably dead and he just pick a fresh one.
Why i do this? because since he got a fresh pet, he probably already thought what he will do next, now, if you sweep his pet, he will have to think of something else to do, then u use wind up, and hit him hard. :D you have to play with ur opponents mind aswel as the situation, put pressure, distrupt em and hit em hard while that is happening. :D

Third question, yeah it is important to go broom after skull, because of the distrupt sweep adds. and you want your crow to be able to be fast for the end, if your crow gets below 50% you will only be at 325 and if youre facing a faster opponent or for example a kunlai runt, you will most likely lose without your Flying passive. Plus, broom tanks well since it is magic.

I hope this helps :D ty again for your questions

Emerald01
Pet Score:3288
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Emerald01 » June 1st, 2013, 1:04 pm

I have a question about using the skull. Why do you use Ghostly Bite instead of Spectral Strike? Ghostly Bite stuns the user. I'm having trouble seeing the benefit wheh Spectral Strike has the potential to do quite a bit of damage.

Thanks!
Em

Maniack

Post by Maniack » June 1st, 2013, 1:47 pm

Emerald01 wrote:I have a question about using the skull. Why do you use Ghostly Bite instead of Spectral Strike? Ghostly Bite stuns the user. I'm having trouble seeing the benefit wheh Spectral Strike has the potential to do quite a bit of damage.

Thanks!
Em
Hello!

Spectral strike has a 50% hit chance if I recall correctly, and this is not a Blind/darkness team, even though you have darkness with the crow, this is NOT a team based on that.

Also, you dont have to necesarily use ghostly bite at the start, what i do is i just spam death coil till im allmost dead, then use unholy ascension BEFORE i die, then do a big hit with ghostly bite on the undead extra turn. :)

I hope this solves your question.

Emerald01
Pet Score:3288
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Emerald01 » June 1st, 2013, 7:04 pm

I'm trying to "power level" the team you use, and the Skull is now at level 22. Thanks so much for your advice and for explaining your reasoning. It is really nice to have a pro willing to help out us amateurs. *hugs*

Cheers!
Em

Maniack

Post by Maniack » June 1st, 2013, 7:38 pm

Emerald01 wrote:I'm trying to "power level" the team you use, and the Skull is now at level 22. Thanks so much for your advice and for explaining your reasoning. It is really nice to have a pro willing to help out us amateurs. *hugs*

Cheers!
Em
I'm more than happy to help at least a bit :D
cheers

Risk
Pet Score:3176
Realm:Drenden-us

Post by Risk » June 1st, 2013, 11:44 pm

Thanks again for this post Maniack, I uploaded your post to my pvp pet blog, if you're interested in adding or changing it please let me know :)
www.tinygladiators.com

Khayah
Pet Score:2454
Realm:Aegwynn-eu

Post by Khayah » June 2nd, 2013, 3:57 am

Giving your first suggestion a try i encountered hard problems to defeat teams using Ion Cannon or Surge of Power as finisher. Tarecgosa is quite common and Tranq Yeti on the rise due to Lightning. people use lightning in the beginning, switch another pet and use the yeti as last pet as a second lightning + ion cannon is devastating. Any chance to counter that?

Jimbodan

Post by Jimbodan » June 2nd, 2013, 8:28 am

Maniack wrote:
Jimbodan wrote: Don't sell yourself short, you did a great job of explaining it!

Thank you :D

I dont mind all questions at all :D

So, answering your first question, I usually spam death coil till i have like 200hp then use unholy ascension and then when im on the undead extra turn i do ghostly bite. It is most likely i will never use ghostly bite on the regular turn, because if i keep healing myself i can do more damage and stay alive at the same time.
Its been a couple of times when i already did unholy ascension and the enemy pet is at 300hp and im on the undead extra turn, and then suddently, and honestly, i dont know why, but the enemy switches pets probably to not let die his current pet, but my ghostly bite is already on the queue so when the fresh pet comes, boom 900 hit lol.
Even if he doesnt switch the pet with unholy ascension and ghostly bite, you will have most likely killed the current pet and left a nice debuff on enemy team, so ghostly skull paid its price :D and was worth bringing it in.

Second question, you can use broom and its abilities at will :) what i do though, is when i first get to use the broom after the skull is dead, i imediately use sweep, since the last enemy pet is probably dead and he just pick a fresh one.
Why i do this? because since he got a fresh pet, he probably already thought what he will do next, now, if you sweep his pet, he will have to think of something else to do, then u use wind up, and hit him hard. :D you have to play with ur opponents mind aswel as the situation, put pressure, distrupt em and hit em hard while that is happening. :D

Third question, yeah it is important to go broom after skull, because of the distrupt sweep adds. and you want your crow to be able to be fast for the end, if your crow gets below 50% you will only be at 325 and if youre facing a faster opponent or for example a kunlai runt, you will most likely lose without your Flying passive. Plus, broom tanks well since it is magic.

I hope this helps :D ty again for your questions
Thanks again! The Ghostly Bite tip has helped a lot! For some reason I didn't even think to use Unholy Ascension BEFORE I died, but you're right it basically lets you get off a free Bite for big damage.