An Unkown (to most) pet collecting/merging game.

A place to discuss anything and everything else.
Nursie
Pet Score:4675
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us
An Unkown (to most) pet collecting/merging game.

Post by Nursie » April 13th, 2012, 3:07 am

Jade Cocoon is a console-style RPG game for the playstation in which players can catch/tame/collect beasts and use them in battle, however that isn't the best part of the game! the best part of the game is it's merging system which allows players to combine their favorite beasts together.

The merging not only combines skills but it also combines their appearances! you can get a flying creature and merge it with a turtle-like creature to get a flying turtle not only that but you can merge beasts that have already been merged to create a completely new beast. At the end of the game you have an eternal corridor which you keep going through the maps battling/collecting beasts, but it also adds skins to the game that are obtained by beating bosses in the corridor which can be used when you merge beasts.

The beasts/creatures are known as minions. I had ages of fun with this game and loved the gameplay as I could essentially create the minion I wanted, there were well over 100 minions and thousands of possible merging combinations. Sure the graphics are out of date but the gameplay can keep you entertained for months.

There is a sequel, Jade Cocoon 2 for the PS2 but it loses the appearance merge aspect. It does add to the combat as you can have 8 minions out at a time on 4 different sides of your beast amulet (which you can rotate around during battle) that represent elements from the game (Fire/wind/Water/Earth) all of which has it's own advantage (water heals, Fire deals most dmg, earth defends and wind inflicts status effects.)

Maleika

Re: An Unkown (to most) pet collecting/merging game.

Post by Maleika » April 13th, 2012, 5:31 pm

All I have to say is this is an AWESOME!!!! awesome game. Ive spent many an hour playing this one!

Nursie
Pet Score:4675
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us

Post by Nursie » May 5th, 2012, 9:35 am

found a let's play of jade cocoon, the commentary isn't bad at all either.

First video in the series:

playlist can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp

enjoy! :D

Jessy27

Post by Jessy27 » June 26th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Evilgnomey,
Cool, it will give me a reason to dig my ps2 out of the box my wife put it in. :lol:

Pigeon
Pet Score:2485
BattleTag®:Pandabbit#1670
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Pigeon » November 7th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I spent a great deal of time on this game a decade ago (jeez!). It was a great but sad game. :(

I liked the idea that like, breeding Fire + Water would get 50/50 Fire/Water Minion, but then breeding it with Fire again made it 75 Fire and 25 Water...that was fun if not simple.
"My hotel is haunted. I saw a sheet on the floor, it must have been a ghost that had passed out…so I kicked it!"

Lunarific
Top Rater
Pet Score:4359
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Lunarific » November 13th, 2012, 11:48 am

Slightly off-topic but, every time I read the thread title I mis-read it as "Unown" >.<