MGTTDPB 5.2: My guide to tamer daily pet battles for 5.2

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Luckydragon
Pet Score:1834
Realm:Vashj-us
Re: MGTTDPB 5.2: My guide to tamer daily pet battles for 5.2

Post by Luckydragon » May 11th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Your guide helped me a lot when i was first trying to get a few pets to level 25. I was frustrated by the burning panda spirit killing off my low level pets with his cyclone though, and I finally got a reliable 2 man team that can bring a carry pet through with no damage. I use the Harbinger of Flame [1,1,1] although probably any pet with a wave type ability would work. I use the wave to kill cyclone and just suicide until I get to the elemental. At that point the Anubisath Idol [1,1,1] works great for the last 2 pets. Keep sandstorm up for everything, and deflect conflags; swap the carry pet in during the firefly's swarm attacks and it's an easy win.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » May 13th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Hi all. Great thread. It's really helped me think about these battles. Even tho I don't have all the right pets to make all the fights easy to carry a leveling pet yet it has helped make most of the fights much easier and I can carry a leveling pet through most even if it isn't always 100% reliable.

There are a couple things I'd love to see.

1) It's been two months since the initial post has been updated and some things have changed such as the same pet always starting and no 10% penalty for forfeiting so the stuff related to that could be cleaned up.

2) I'd love to see more notes on alternate pets/breeds where applicable or which skills are critical for the match up to work. In particular pets that are higher level captures and easily farmable so you can get your army of carry pets going quicker. I know your goal was the optimal options but knowing some of the alternatives available can help you get to those optimal options quicker.
For example I've been using my Wild Crimson Hatchling in place of the Spawn of Onyxia as it had the same move set and I happened to have a blue level 25 before I even found this thread. Now it's a S/S breed so I can see it isn't ideal as it often doesn't get to take advantage of the extra dmg from tail swipe but it still works well enough most of the time.
Another example is the spirit crab for Aki. Any pet with Shell Shield or a similar damage reduction ability should be able to take down Chirrup easily. Obviously the spirit crab is ideal as being undead makes Stormlash's attacks weak but I use a Softshell snapling and it work well enough. I make sure headbut is off cool down as it isn't needed for Chirrup. I usually get two headbuts off and if either stuns it should be a win otherwise Stormlash can be a bit of a race but I make sure to use a lvl 20+ carry pet that can help finish him if need be.

3) Personal preference but I'd love to see P/P breed notation in addition to (or instead of) breed type 4/14. IMO it's simpler to understand and is what all the add-ins I've found use which would make it easier when looking for the right breed of pet to capture/level.

I'll make another separate post with my individual suggestions.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » May 13th, 2013, 6:09 pm

2. PANDARIA
2.1 Aki the Chosen

Any crab and any moth seems to work well enough. I'd definitely favor Power on the moth as my S/S moth doesn't always dominate Whiskers.

2.2 Thundering Pandaren Spirit

Any rabbit with speed 301 or greater should do. I don't actually have one yet to test but Darnak is speed 300 and being faster than both is the key for the bunny dodge.

2.3 Whispering Pandaren Spirit
Emerald Proto Whelp is going to be required for their part. Could really use almost any level 25 as the third pet you'd just need to make sure the Emerald Proto Whelp sufficiently weakens the last pet before you let them die. Any dragonkin with magic attacks is a good alternative to Chrominius. I've got a Nexus whelp and it does just fine at destorying the Air Spirit.

2.4 Hyuna of the Shrines
Emerald Proto Whelp is going to be required for their part. Any moth will do as you shouldn't take any damage from headbut. Really any level 25 that can avoid headbut and deal enough dmg to out dps the healing will do.

2.5 Farmer Nishi
Any strider and any beast killing mechanical pet should do.

2.6 Mo’ruk
Pretty much the same as other trainers with the Emerald Proto Whelp. Need the proto whelp and any pet that can help finish off the last mob. Gilnean Raven just gives you more room not drag whelp vs Needleback any longer than it has to be.

2.7 Flowing Pandaren Spirit
The bat seems to be the key. Just got my vampire bat up to 25 and he destroyed the first two pets easily. Had to pass to avoid killing off the third pet so I could swap in my carry. It did get crits on both pets but since you are getting Hawk eye up that isn't as unusual as it would be otherwise.

2.8 Wastewalker Shu
Any dragon with similar moves and any mech beast killer should work.

2.9 Seeker Zusshi
I've used a Snail against him and had it make it into the third pet. A snail and a good dragon should work.

2.10 Burning Pandaren Spirit
I've got a completely different comp that seems to work well here.
Kun-Lai Runt (2,2,2) and a Snail(2,2,1). Open with frost shock and then deep freeze on Crimson. Third round swap to the snail as he'll swap in Fire spirit. Snail should handle the fire spirit easily. Should swap in a weakened Crimson that can be finished off by the snail when spirit dies. Let the snail die to the second or third pet swapping in the carry then back to the runt. Once onto the third pet the frost shock, deep freeze, Takedown for double dmg combo should finish him quickly. Carry pet will take a Fair bit of dmg. Might be able to go less defensive on the snail but haven't tried that yet.

2.11 Courageous Yon
Same Proto-whelp/mechanical pet statements apply.

3.1 Obalis
No Infinite whelp yet to try this one.

4.1 Major Payne
No Infinite whelp yet to try this one.

5.1 Bloodknight Antari
No Peddlefeet yet to try it but he seems to be the key. Almost any decent lvl 25 pet should be able to finish Jadefire. I've used a couple different ones.

6.1 Jeremy Feasel
No Infinite whelp or Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling to try this one yet.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » May 13th, 2013, 6:20 pm

I wouldn't consider the proto whelp a requirement. In fact, he may not be very accessible for some people. I don't even use him at all. I actually favor the celestial dragon in many of the instances mentioned.

Mystik_sok
Pet Score:10833
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Mystik_sok » May 13th, 2013, 8:34 pm

I have a tough time beating Obalis with your original team, but I mow thru it with Tonk (1,1,2) and Emerald Proto Whelp (2,2,2)
Tonk two shots Pyth and the whelp has no trouble with the remaining two pets. Just swap in a l1 pet or whatever when the tonk dies.

Stencil
Pet Score:3290
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Stencil » May 14th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Mystik_sok wrote:I have a tough time beating Obalis with your original team, but I mow thru it with Tonk (1,1,2) and Emerald Proto Whelp (2,2,2)
Tonk two shots Pyth and the whelp has no trouble with the remaining two pets. Just swap in a l1 pet or whatever when the tonk dies.
I recommend configuring the Tonk (1,2,2) and laying down a minefield before killing Pyth.

Yarl
Pet Score:5773
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Yarl » May 20th, 2013, 11:23 pm

I use Lil XT 1,2,2 and Chromius 1,1,2 on Obalis.

Heartbreak, then the tantrum should kill the snake and damage the rest of the team.
i flip in the exp pet when xt dies then chomp the beetle with chromius usually.
Sometimes i need to blow the moth up with the surge thing

Phraide
Pet Score:1785
Realm:Cho'gall-eu

Post by Phraide » May 26th, 2013, 7:49 am

Thank you OP (and Stencil) for these excellent strategies.

For the Burning Pandaren Spirit, I use a slightly faster team :
1: Anubisath Idol (1,2,1)
2: Snarly (1,1,2)
3: Carry pet

vs Crimson
Crush > Stoneskin > Crush until the next enemy
vs Pandaren Fire Spirit
Deflection > Switch Snarly > Rip > Blood in the water > Surge
vs Glowy
Rip > Surge until my Snarly dies (Blood in the water if I can) > Switch Carry pet > Switch Anubisath > Stoneskin > Crush until the end

Another good strategy against Blood knight Antari :
1: Scourged Whelping [6] (2,2,1)
2: Carry pet
3: Flayer Youngling [5] (1,2,1)

vs Arcanus
Death and Decay > Tail Sweep until the next enemy
vs Jadefire
Tail Sweep until you die > Plagued Blood on your resurrection turn > Switch Carry pet > Switch Flayer Youngling > Blitz until the next enemy (and Deflection when the enemy's Conflagrate is up)
vs Netherbite
- Kick when up
- Deflection when the enemy is under Phase Shift
- Blitz otherwise

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 26th, 2013, 9:19 am

Question for everyone: Is this guide still useful in 5.3? Or are the strategies suggested broken due to 5.3 changes?

If everyone feels that it's still helpful, we'll leave it stickied even though we're in patch 5.3 now. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Amethice
Top Rater
Pet Score:12952
BattleTag®:Uncia#2791
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Amethice » May 26th, 2013, 9:56 am

Quintessence wrote:Question for everyone: Is this guide still useful in 5.3? Or are the strategies suggested broken due to 5.3 changes?

If everyone feels that it's still helpful, we'll leave it stickied even though we're in patch 5.3 now. :)
Most of the guides are still good, far as I can tell. I've had to make very few changes to my personal pet tamer run, but that's mainly minor tweaks against the fabled ones due to a few of them upgrading like crazy.

Phraide

Post by Phraide » May 26th, 2013, 9:58 am

The original post could definitely use a review. Some of the infos there aren't up to date: the enemy's pets come in a fixed order now (which allow us to optimize our setups and strategies), and some teams just don't work anymore. I maintain an up-to-date version of this post on my guild's forum (there, in french: bzt.fr/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10776 ). I am probably not the person best suited to do it (english is not my main langage), but if nobody else wants to do it, I could post an up-to-date version on this forum - it would be a shame to let such a brilliant post die.

Britty
Pet Score:5582
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Britty » May 26th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Quintessence wrote:Question for everyone: Is this guide still useful in 5.3? Or are the strategies suggested broken due to 5.3 changes?

The guide is still working wonders for me. Nothing too drastically changed, and the strategies listed here still are valid as far as I can tell. I only use my own teams for three (Uldum, Shadowmoon Valley, and Major Payne) of the tamers, so I can't speak for those teams though.

Phraide

Post by Phraide » May 26th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Here is the up-to-date version :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3)

Disclaimer
All credit goes to Cabadath. This post is just an up-to-date version of his awesome "MGTTDPB 5.2: My guide to tamer daily pet battles for 5.2".
Thanks to Stencil for the conception of some of these teams.

Goals
- The teams have only 2 lvl 25 pets, leaving room for a lowlvl “carry pet” for leveling.
- Winning as quickly and reliably as possible. This means max dmg, unless the reliability is low / RNG is high, in which case I choose a lower dmg pet with abilities suited for surviving.
- I try to avoid using pets that are hard to come by such as TCG/pet store/collector edition pets. I only use pets that are obtainable ingame, except for the Vampiric Batling.
- If you have better setups than mine, please share! Whenever I use a setup with low dmg or survival abilities hampering my damage, I am especially interested in tips about what I can do or other pets I can use to finish the battle faster (but still very reliably).

Addons
I strongly recommand you these two addons (or any equivalent):
- PetBattleInfo to survey the enemies' cooldowns.
- PetBattleTeams to easily setup and use the 14 teams presented in this thread.

Description
In the guide I use these parameters: [Pet name] [[Breed]] [(Skillset)]

- The number 1 – 3 in front of the pet names signify which pet you start with and which pet gets switched in next.
- Skillset: 1,1,1 means the first ability slot for all three abilities. 2,2,2 means the second ability slot for all three abilities. 1,2,2 means the first ability slot for the first ability, and the second ability slot for the second and third ability.
- Concerning carry pets and XP: Usually, I switch in the carry pet when my first pet dies, then immediately switch the carry pet out for the last lvl 25 pet. This way, you will get xp without having to make an action or take a hit. In some battles, I let the carry pet switch in at a different time for tactical purposes.

Route
You can do the tamer daily pet battles in whatever order you want, but I found the following route to be the most optimal for me:

Start
> Aki the Chosen
> Thundering Pandaren Spirit
> Courageous Yon
> Burning Pandaren Spirit
(( Heal ))
> Seeker Zusshi
(( Heal at Klaxxi'vess stable master on your way ))
> Wastewalker Shu
> Flowing Pandaren Spirit
> Mo'ruk
(( Heal ))
> Farmer Nishi
(( Heal at Halfhill stable master on your way ))
> Yuna of the Shrines
> Whispering Pandaren Spirit
> Obalis
> Major Payne
> Blood Knight Antari
Finish

Teams and strategies
Equip your Safari Hat!

Aki the Chosen
1: Spirit Crab [6] (1,2,1)
3: Yellow Moth [4] (1,1,2)

vs Chirrup and Stormlash
- Shell Shield (refresh it whenever there is only one turn left) > Whirlpool (recast it whenever you can) > Snap
- You will easily kill these two pets with your Crab, as you are immune to all damage from Chirrup (thanks to the Shield) and avoid a lot of damage from Stormlash (thanks to the Shield and your Undead resistance to Dragonkin damage)
vs Whiskers
- Don't recast your Shell Shield from now on, the goal is to let your Spirit Crab die. In the meantime, do as much damage as you can whithout killing Whiskers
- When your Crab dies, switch to Carry pet > switch to Yellow Moth
- Cocoon Strike vs Dive
- Moth Dust when up, Slicing Wind otherwise

Notes: With Whiskers mostly going first with Surge no matter if the Moth has superior speed, Slicing Wind is the way to go here.

Thundering Pandaren Spirit
1: Rabbit [12] (1,2,1)
2: Anodized Robo Cub [7] (1,2,2)

vs Pandaren Earth Spirit
- Scratch > Dodge > Scratch > Burrow
- Continue with Scratch until Rupture is off CD. That round you use Dodge
vs Sludgy
- Switch to Anodized Robo Cub
- Supercharge > Bite until Sludgy dies
vs Darnak
- Bite > Supercharge > Bite until your Anodized Robo Cub dies
- Switch to Carry pet > switch to Rabbit
- Scratch every turn, unless Stone Rush is up (then cast Burrow) or Darnak has burrowed (then cast Dodge). If Darnak has BOTH Stone Rush and Burrow off cooldown, then Scratch > Dodge. If you do it right, your Rabbit will not sustain any damage from Darnak.

- Notes: Any variant of Rabbit with a speed above 305 will do. The Rabbit [12] just has the best stat distribution for this fight. Flurry is a multi-strike ability, which don't work well against a Shield. As a 1-strike ability, Scratch is better here.

Courageous Yon
1: Untamed Hatchling [-] (2,2,2)
3: Darkmoon Tonk [-] (1,1,2)

vs Piqua
- Tail Sweep > Spiked Skin > Healing Flame > Tail Sweep until Piqua dies
vs Lapin
- Tail Sweep > Spiked Skin > Healing Flame > Tail Sweep until Lapin dies
vs Bleat
- Tail Sweep until your Untamed Hatchling dies > switch to Carry pet > switch to Darkmoon Tonk
- Shock and Awe > Ion Cannon

Burning Pandaren Spirit
1: Anubisath Idol [-] (1,2,1)
2: Snarly [-] (1,1,2)
3: Carry pet (will take quite a bit of damage from Crimson’s Cyclone. Should have 500 HP +)

vs Crimson
- Crush > Stoneskin > Crush until Crimson dies
vs Pandaren Fire Spirit
- Deflection > switch to Snarly
- Rip > Blood in the Water > Surge
vs Glowy
- Rip > Surge until Snarly dies (Blood in the Water if you can)
- Switch to Carry pet > switch to Anubisath Idol
- Stoneskin > Crush until the end

- Notes: Snarly has the best stat distribution out of the 4 crocolisks, but any of them will work.

Seeker Zusshi
1: Snarly [-] (1,1,2)
3: Vampiric Batling [-] (1,2,1)

vs Diamond
- Rip > Blood in the Water > Surge until Diamond dies
vs Mollus
- Rip > Surge (you should die at this point, but if you are still alive, do the following: ) > Blood in the water > Surge until Snarly dies
- Switch to Carry pet > switch to Vampiric Batling > Bite until Mollus dies
vs Skimmer
- Reckless Strike > Bite > Reckless Strike

- Notes: Snarly has the best stat distribution out of the 4 crocolisks, but any of them will work. If you don't have a Vampiric Batling, a Bat [4] (1,2,1) should work just fine, as long as you don't miss any strike.

Wastewalker Shu
1: Red Cricket [-] (1,2,1)

vs Crusher
- Skitter until there is 1-turn left on Whirlpool > Cocoon Strike > Nature's Touch > Skitter until Crusher dies
vs Pounder
- Cocoon Strike when there is 1-turn left on Whirlpool > Nature's Touch
- Skitter, unless your Cocoon Strike is off-cooldown (then cast Cocoon Strike > Nature's Touch)
vs Mutilator
- Don't cast Cocoon Strike/Nature's Touch anymore. Cast Skitter until your Cricket dies. Don't kill Mutilator (skip turns if you have to)
- Switch to Carry pet > switch to Darkmoon Tonk
- Shock and Awe > Missile until Mutilator's HP are in range of your Ion Canon

Flowing Pandaren Spirit
1: Vampiric Batling [-] (1,2,1)
2: Carry pet (your Carry pet should have around 700 HP to survive the fight)
3: Onyxian Whelpling [-] (2,1,1)

vs Marley
- Reckless Strike > Hawk Eye > Reckless Strike > Bite
vs Tiptoe
- Bite until your Vampiric Batling dies > switch to Carry pet > switch to Onyxian Whelpling > Tail Sweep until Tiptoe dies
vs Pandaren Water Spirit
- Lift-Off when there is 1-turn left on Whirlpool and Geyser
- Tail Sweep all the way

- Notes: If you don't have a Vampiric Batling and/or an Onyxian Whelpling, you can replace them with a Bat [4] (1,2,1) and/or a Spawn of Onyxia [4] (2,1,1).

Mo'ruk
1: Darkmoon Zeppelin [-] (1,2,2)
2: Emerald Proto-Whelp [4] (2,2,2)

vs Woodcarver
- Missile > Decoy > Projectile until Woodcarver dies
vs Lightstalker
- Switch to Emerald Proto Whelp
- Emerald Presence > Emerald Dream > Emerald Bite until Lightstalker dies
vs Needleback
- Emerald Bite until your Emerald Proto Whelp dies > switch to Darkmoon Zeppelin
- Decoy when there is 2-turn left on Headbutt
- Missile until Needleback has 618 HP or less > Explode

- Notes: your Carry pet don't need to participate, as he will be the only one left alive at the end of the fight and will thus receive his xp.

Farmer Nishi
1: Carry pet
2: Eternal Strider [8] (1,2,2)

vs Siren
- Attack with your Carry pet > switch to Eternal Strider
- Cleansing Rain > Pump > Water Jet > Pump
vs Toothbreaker
- Water Jet > Pump > Cleansing Rain > Pump
vs Brood of Mothran
- Water Jet > Pump > Pump > Water Jet until your Eternal Strider dies > switch to Darkmoon Tonk
- Shock and Awe > Missile until Brood of Mothran's HP are in range of your Ion Canon

Hyuna of the Shrines
1: Emerald Proto-Whelp [4] (2,2,1)
3: Yellow Moth [4] (2,1,2)

vs Skyshaper
- Emerald Presence > Emerald Bite until Skyshaper dies
vs Fangor
- Emerald Bite > Proto-strike > Emerald Bite until your Emerald Proto Whelp dies
- Switch to Carry pet > switch to Yellow Moth
- Alpha Strike until Fangor dies
vs Dor the Wall
- Cocoon Strike when Headbutt is up
- Moth Dust when up, Alpha Strike otherwise

Whispering Pandaren Spirit
1: Anubisath Idol [-] (1,1,1)
3: Chrominius [-] (1,1,2)

vs Dusty
- Deflection > Sandstorm
- Crush, unless your Deflection is up (then cast Deflection > Sandstorm)
vs Whispertail
- Crush until your Anubisath Idol dies
- Switch to Carry pet > switch to Chrominius
- Bite until Whispertail dies
vs Pandaren Air Spirit
- Howl > Bite > Surge of Power

Obalis
1: Darkmoon Tonk [-] (1,2,2)
3: Emerald Proto-Whelp [4] (2,2,2)

vs Pyth
- Minefield > Missile > Ion Canon
vs Spring
- Missile until your Darkmoon Tonk dies
- Switch to Carry pet > switch to Emerald Proto Whelp
- Emerald Presence > Emerald Bite until Spring dies
vs Clatter
- Emerald Presence > Emerald Dream
- Emerald Bite until the end (refresh Emerald Presence whenever there is 1-turn left on it)

Major Payne
1: Carry pet (Needs 500 HP to survive)
2: Darkmoon Tonk [-] (1,2,2)
3: Grasslands Cottontail [5] (2,2,1)

vs Grizzle
- Attack with your Carry pet > switch to Darkmoon Tonk
- Minefield > Missile until Grizzle's HP are in range of your Ion Canon
vs Beakmaster X-225
- Missile until your Darkmoon Tonk dies > switch to Grasslands Cottontail
- Flurry, unless Shock and Awe is off-cooldown (then cast Burrow) or Beakmaster has a charge of Wind-up (then cast Dodge)
vs Flore
- Flurry, unless you have the debuff Entangling Roots (then cast Burrow or Dodge)

- Notes: Grasslands Cottontail [5] is the only variant of rabbit with this stat distribution. I strongly recommand you to avoid any other rabbit/breed for this fight.

Blood Knight Antari
1: Scourged Whelpling [6] (2,2,1)
3: Flayer Youngling [5] (1,2,1)

vs Arcanus
- Death and Decay > Tail Sweep until Arcanus dies
vs Jadefire
- Tail Sweep until your Scourged Whelpling dies > Plagued Blood on your resurrection turn
- Switch to Carry pet > switch to Flayer Youngling
- Blitz until Jadefire dies (Deflection if Conflagrate is up)
vs Netherbite
- Deflection when Netherbite is under Phase Shift
- Kick when up, Blitz otherwise

- Notes: You will have a very hard time collecting a rare version of Flayer Youngling [5] and Scourged Whelpling [6]. I suggest you to collect them when you happen to find one with the correct breed, whatever the rarity. You will then be able to upgrade them to Uncommon rarity with ease with two Polished Battle Stones, which will be more than enough to defeat Blood Knight Antari.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 26th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Thanks for taking the time to review and edit the guide Phraide!

We can include a link to it in the original post in this thread, or if you think that it would be better suited for a new 5.3 thread, feel free to make a separate post and we'll sticky that one (with a link back to the original guide for reference).
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com