Does a rare King Snake *really* exist?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Catalytic
Pet Score:4337
BattleTag®:Lyrics#1788
Realm:Greymane-us
Does a rare King Snake *really* exist?

Post by Catalytic » March 26th, 2013, 10:21 pm

After a stroke of good (great) luck yesterday in Twilight Highlands (rare Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling AND a rare Twilight Fiendling!) I decided it was time to once again try for this darn rare King Snake (The last rare wild pet I am missing, besides one from the new Isle). I have been searching for hours, battling every wild pet I come across, and killing them, so others will spawn. And this isn't my first trip to the Badlands after this guy! Does he really exist???? If I didn't need so darn many beast stones still, I'd just stone him, but I hate to waste one when I have so many non-wild left to stone, sigh.

ETA: I am not killing any pet that has a rare on the team, I'm not a complete jerk. :lol:

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Re: Does a rare King Snake *really* exist?

Post by Formerruling » March 26th, 2013, 10:53 pm

King Snake took me about an hour. Fairly average for the zone pets. To contrast the longest I've spent looking for a rare so far has been the Rapana Whelk at a grand total of over 6 real playing hours.

Cendir
Pet Score:6154
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Cendir » March 26th, 2013, 11:28 pm

I've been through the zone 5-6x looking for this guy, spent a few hours easily total, and nada. On the other hand the first time I went to get a Minfernal, one was up. Random is random /shrug

Catalytic

Post by Catalytic » March 27th, 2013, 12:08 am

I also had that luck with Minfernal, really wasn't even looking, just flew over on the way to the tamer in Felwood and there he was, stuck in a tree.

I'm at about 23 hours in Badlands looking for this darn King Snake now. I've found at least 5 each of Rattlesnake, Stripe-Tailed Scorpid, Gold Beetle, Beetle, Black Rat, and Spiky Lizard. (Rares, I mean) I'm announcing them and their coords in /1, hopefully someone else is saving time on those at least. I've been here since 630pm tonight looking, and it's 1110pm now. Ugh, back to banging my head into the wall, I suppose :evil:

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » March 27th, 2013, 3:06 am

Sifang otter pup and coral snake were my last 2 poor quality pets. No recollection of any problems with the king snake though. Can't even remember where I got it (lvl 13 when captured)

Catalytic

Post by Catalytic » March 27th, 2013, 3:42 am

I do have an uncommon UC rat, but I hate UC, so I'll stone him eventually. I have a common of one of the new Isle pets, I'll find it rare soon, I'm sure. Haven't spent a lot of time looking for him yet.

I got a magic stone from a tamer last night, and I wanted to use it on the Fiendling, but I decided to give it one more shot at finding a rare, plus if I was going to use a stone, I wanted a breed 4. Within a few minutes, I did find a rare one, and not too long after that, I found a rare breed 4. In my fights against those (I didn't kill the ones that weren't rare, but I think maybe they aren't hard to find anymore, because there were tons out and about) I came across the rare Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling.

This King Snake, though...wow, he is the worst. I gave up after 6 hours tonight. I have stoned a few wild pets...Scourged Whelpling, Anodized Robo-Cub, and maybe one or two others, but most I have farmed for.

King Snakes are in the Badlands.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » March 27th, 2013, 4:07 am

This might be a silly question, but are you flying around the very edges of the zone? When I went hunting a rare King Snake all I did was laps of the very outer edge of the zone, high up in the mountains/on the plateaus, there seems to be loads of them up there. I didn't see even a single one nearer the centre of the zone though, although I know they come as secondaries too.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Exel
Pet Score:2852
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Exel » March 27th, 2013, 4:21 am

Never looked for King Snake but one rare pet I busted my ass to get is Cogblade Raptor. Killed well over 100 before I got a rare one. Don't really know if it's the pet, bad luck or something else.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » March 27th, 2013, 6:29 am

I don't remember King Snake being a problem. Mocassin on the other hand...

There were a few weird ones I struggled with, like Twilight Iguana and Redridge Rat. In the end I've caught EVERY wild pet in rare pre 5.2 except one - the Crow from Darkmoon island.

Although I've stoned a few to get the right breed, and a few, like Minfernal I stoned (P/P in this case) and then continued farming for a different breed (H/H - which I did find rare in the wild)

Poutinette
MVP
Pet Score:4898
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Poutinette » March 27th, 2013, 7:31 am

Gromagrim wrote:I don't remember King Snake being a problem. Mocassin on the other hand...
The mocassin was the very last one (pre-5.2) that I found a rare for the wild pets, it took me weeks of hunting to get one.

As others told, try the very outer ledges of the zone for the King Snake

Catalytic

Post by Catalytic » March 27th, 2013, 10:32 am

For the first 5-ish hours, I was circling the perimeter of the Badlands (I had read about them being up high, either here or WoWHead, at some point in the past). After that, I tried the middle and the edges, kind of zig-zagging around, and for the last half hour (12-1230 MST) I did not see a single King Snake, as a primary or secondary, so I gave up.

I guess I'm just venting, I know it's RNG, there have been several frustrating ones for me, but this one is the worst, I'm pretty sure :lol:

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » March 27th, 2013, 10:58 am

I remember that the King Snake was one of the difficult ones for me. It was not my worst, but it definitely took a lot of effort to find a rare.

Oddly enough, I think common pets like this one can be tougher to get rares for than some of the harder to find ones because they show up as secondaries and share a spawn table with the other common ones in the zone, so you have to fight EVERYTHING in that area to find them. My absolute worst pet to get as rare was the Sand Kitten in Tanaris.

The advice to go around the edges of the zone up in the mountains is good... that is how I eventually got mine.

Mizix
Top Rater
Pet Score:7887
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Mizix » March 27th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Got my rare King Snake up in the edge of the mountains as well, I don't recall it being a long farm: a couple of hours max. Keep going, crossing fingers =)