Pet Battles Notes/Details

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Pet Battles Notes/Details

Post by Quintessence » April 25th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Pet Battles is live on beta for testing, but it's still a WIP.

Here are some notes about battles so far:
  • - You can't attack a wild battle critter with normal spells. This makes griefing less likely since other players can't kill your intended target.

- BUT! Other mobs can still grief you as they interact with the critters as usual. Example: I was just about to battle a critter when a buzzard decided to fly over and kill it. I'm totally reporting that buzzard! :P

- Most critters aren't "capturable", but you can battle them for experience. To distinguish a capturable pet between a non-capturable pet, one will have a yellow paw print when hovering over it and a brown dot on the tracking in your mini-map (non-capturable), while another critter will have a green paw print and a green marker on your mini-map (capturable). The critter's tooltip will also say "capturable".

- Doing battle with a wild pet temporarily removes any mobs near you so that there's a clear space for your pets to battle. Once you're done with the battle, those mobs will respawn around you. I'd be careful where you choose to pick your fights!

- Pets gain experience from a battle only if they participate in it. This means you need to switch your pets into the fight (if possible) in order for them to receive any exp. (Unsure if this is intended or will change)

- Canceling a battle or double clicking on a wild critter will cause the battle to fail and the critter to despawn. (Unsure if this is intended or will change)

- Your companion can "die" while in battle, but that doesn't mean it's removed from your collection. It just removes it from battle and can't be used for the remainder of the battle.

- Wild battle pets do seem to have somewhat random stats, but there have been some consistencies that I've seen.

- If you're already in combat with another player or mob, it won't let you go into Pet Battle mode.

- When your companion levels up, it looks exactly like a character dinging.

- Currently you can have more than one of the same pet in your Pet Journal. Example: I logged into my horde toon and received some of the mailed pets and learned one (despite already having it in my Pet Journal). After learning it, I checked my journal and I had two of the same companion. (Unsure if this is intended or will change)

- The X/500 doesn't seem to be the max number of pets that are available to be collected. Instead, 500 seems to be the max number of companions you can have at any given time (includes duplicates and non-pets).
I'd love to find out if your character is removed from the environment into the special "battle phasing" when engaging in a wild pet battle, but my friend and co-beta tester isn't available to try it out with me atm. :(
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Quintessence
Site Admin

Re: Pet Battles Notes/Details

Post by Quintessence » April 25th, 2012, 6:39 pm

Video of Pet Battles - shows the overall battling phase, Pet "Death" and Capturing a wild pet, and Pet Level Up and Unlocking a second ability.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » April 25th, 2012, 6:51 pm

I captured a Twilight Iguana in Thousand Needles, but when I pull him out as a pet he randomly attacks everything.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Kaiyou
Top Rater
Pet Score:2289
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Kaiyou » April 25th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Doobjanka wrote:I captured a Twilight Iguana in Thousand Needles, but when I pull him out as a pet he randomly attacks everything.

I have been having that same issue. When I got out my Turquoise Turtle and Polly, they both went off and attacked random mobs. However, when I got out my Snow Cub, he did not run after anything.

Dalrint
Pet Score:9471
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Post by Dalrint » April 25th, 2012, 7:11 pm

I'm kind of shocked at the number of 'wild pets' we can't catch.

So far I'm finding one per zone? And most of the rest aren't catchable, just fightable. If it's staying like this I think I'm going to be really disappointed.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » April 25th, 2012, 7:20 pm

My Fledgling Buzzard just flies erratically around when I summon it. When I captured it and then summoned it (for the first time), I was able to re-battle it and capture it again. I wound up with two buzzards in the end O_o ...that's gotta be a bug!

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » April 25th, 2012, 9:38 pm

So at what point in the battle should you try to trap the capture-able pets?
Mingyao on Madoran

Kaiyou
Top Rater
Pet Score:2289
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Kaiyou » April 25th, 2012, 9:48 pm

GormanGhaste wrote:So at what point in the battle should you try to trap the capture-able pets?
Try to get their health as low as you can before you attempt to capture them.

Dementron
Pet Score:9542
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Dementron » April 25th, 2012, 10:44 pm

I don't like that they use the term "kill". I'm going to think of it as a KO no matter what the in-game terminology. :|

And no matter how bizarre it may seem at times. Like how in Pokemon games the move Guillotine can cause the enemy to instantly "faint".

I continue to stand behind my ridiculous beliefs!

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » April 25th, 2012, 10:59 pm

Dementron wrote:I don't like that they use the term "kill". I'm going to think of it as a KO no matter what the in-game terminology. :|

And no matter how bizarre it may seem at times. Like how in Pokemon games the move Guillotine can cause the enemy to instantly "faint".

I continue to stand behind my ridiculous beliefs!
Yeah, me too, as I said elsewhere, I don't want to see cute little critters killing each other. I'm a sad panda.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Imthedci » April 25th, 2012, 11:54 pm

After looking around a bit, there seems to be a level range on all wild pets in a zone - Here's what I found so far...

Eastern Kingdoms
------------------------
Dun Morogh, Ironforge, Tirisfal Glades, Eversong Woods: Levels 1 - 2
Ghostlands, Silverpine Forest, Redridge Mountains (only 4 - 5), Loch Modan: Levels 3 - 5
Duskwood, Wetlands, Hillsbrad Foothills: Level 6
Arathi Highlands, Northern Stranglethorn: Level 7
Cape of Strangelthorn, Hinterlands: Level 9
Western Plaguelands: Level 10
Eastern Plaguelands: Level 12
Searing Gorge, Badlands: Level 13
Burning Steppes, Swamp of Sorrows: Level 15
Blasted Lands: Level 16

Kalimdar
-----------
TBD

Outlands
-----------
TBD

Northrend
-------------
Borean Tundra: Levels 19-20
Sholazar Basin: Levels 20-21
Icecrown: Level 22

Cataclysm
-------------
Twilight Highlands: Level 23

Pandaria
-------------
TBD

Bugged Zones (I think...)
-----------------
Westfall (only one single Tiny Harvester and it spawns underground), Elwynn Forest (no wild pets), Stormwind (no wild pets)

Zones without wild pets
-----------------------------
Tol Barad, Wintergrasp

I'll try to update this when I find out more zones... 8-)

Goblinoed
Pet Score:2179
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Goblinoed » April 26th, 2012, 3:20 am

I'd love to find out if your character is removed from the environment into the special "battle phasing" when engaging in a wild pet battle, but my friend and co-beta tester isn't available to try it out with me atm. :(
I got my beta guildies and friends to battle duel with me, we could still emote one another while in battle! Also whilst they were having a battle i could still see them, and all they could do was spin on the spot :)

Sadly im finding even when my pets lvl up their next ability at lvl3 wont become available, and they slip back to lvl2 in the next battle.