Share pet collecting news and advice.
Basti
MVP
Pet Score:3493
BattleTag®:Delubyo#1445
Realm:Elune-us
Re: Thundertail Flapper info on spawns

Post by Basti » March 13th, 2013, 4:24 am

I was able to spot one near the gate and captured it. I believe there is a phasing issue near the locked area. I would see the green paw from afar but the pet disappeared when I went near it. What I did was I mounted up to get to the pet as fast as I could and right-clicked immediately before he despawned. I was able to capture a common one, good thing I had an unused elemental battle-stone in the bank. I just upgraded it since I have no other pets that I can use the elemental stone on.

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » March 13th, 2013, 4:59 am

I found mine just by running circles in the road in the center of the island (Diremoor) and by killing other wild pets. I did this always very early in the morning so there was usually few Flappers always up by default and not many other players around.
- Taking your candles since 2005

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » March 13th, 2013, 9:57 am

On the northwest side of the island, there is a path that goes past a cave.

Once I got passed the cave, I ran into rocks and started my creative jumping and was able to get into the thunderforge and engage about 10 flappers.

Best I could do was an uncommon

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » March 13th, 2013, 10:42 am

I've managed to find a few every now and then around the Diremoor area. Mainly near water, and not very common at all. Anyone find one as a secondary?
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » March 13th, 2013, 11:44 am

I have seen these in phased areas. I would see the paw from afar, but when I got close, it phased out.

I did finally manage to find (and capture) 2. I kept the one that had the breed I wanted and just stoned it (I have elemental stones just piling up).

I actually like having excess stones that I can use in cases like this to get the right breeds. This way, I don't really care if the pet I find is rare or not as long as it is the right breed. I just wish that I could consolidate the stones on one character.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » March 13th, 2013, 12:13 pm

I got my rare Thundertail Flapper by running circles around Diremoor and despawning every other wild pet (as long as it wasn't rare). It took a fair few laps over several hours but I ended up with rares of the Swamp Croaker, Elder Python and Thundertail Flapper that way. The little Electrified Razortooth pet however might take a little more time.

Didn't see any Electrified Razortooth or Thundertail Flappers as secondaries though.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Cymre
MVP
Pet Score:13607
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Cymre » March 13th, 2013, 7:24 pm

Nice tip. This worked for me as well although I'm still having trouble finding a rare Electrified Razortooth.
Blogger, YouTuber and Pet Tamer

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Ysabell » March 14th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Stabya wrote:On the northwest side of the island, there is a path that goes past a cave.

Once I got passed the cave, I ran into rocks and started my creative jumping and was able to get into the thunderforge and engage about 10 flappers.

Best I could do was an uncommon
If you go into the cave, it has exits into the locked out area where you can kill some mobs and check out a ton of Thundertail Flappers. Finally got my rare in there.

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » March 15th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Ysabell wrote:If you go into the cave, it has exits into the locked out area where you can kill some mobs and check out a ton of Thundertail Flappers. Finally got my rare in there.
Thanks! This worked out great and yes up in the north east part of the cave is an exit and beyond there is the land o' plentiful thundertail flappers (and a lot of homicidal mogu). I did this and eventually got my rare there too. The respawn seems slow, so I ended up doing one sweep before dailies and another after.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » March 16th, 2013, 4:05 pm

I was very lucky. My first gator was a rare. Took a little bit longer for the others, but playing on a low pop server probably helped a lot! Make a toon on Dawnbringer, always room for collectors.

Dak.

Shmoooey
Pet Score:9294
BattleTag®:Shmooey#1554

Post by Shmoooey » March 16th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Where is the entrance to this cave? Is the entrance from the water?

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » March 16th, 2013, 8:56 pm

as no one has mentioned it here - you can simply die into the next stage as well: takes you clothes off, pull a mob to the gate, die, respawn beyond it.

anyways i found the killing-all-the-wild pets-around method just as effective, since the closed areas are packed with mobs and i'm not very fond of bugging my way into zones i'm not supposed to be in.

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by GrosBonda » March 16th, 2013, 10:04 pm

while doing It Was Worth Every Ritual Stone, we end up in the lock zone.
It is packed with Thundertail Flapper and many are blue.
I left the other blue for other to take advantage.

To Go there you need to pass by the water and when you are close to Incomplete dakkari colossus (see map http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2a3lma&s=6) you have a ramp to go there.

Mowse
Pet Score:2572
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Mowse » March 17th, 2013, 4:31 pm

If you lizard leap toward the locked area from where Prog spawns and either slowfall or engineer parachute, you can make it over a broken part of the wall right into the locked area. You can also go into the thunderforge if you are a druid and can wild charge the goats up the rocks. I'm sure there's another way as well, but that's how I did it.

Alternatively, and more creatively, you can do this with a goblin, a druid, and a priest if you're bringing friends. Have the goblin rocket jump from a rock on the east shore (just before the locked area's docks) to the ledge, then the druid can wild charge, and use the priest's lifegrip symbiosis to bring the priest, or whoever else you are bringing with you. That's how we got in the first time, until I accidentally got in the aforementioned way trying to land in a tree lol. There are lots of spawns up there, and untouched. You can do 5 or 6 of the achievements while you're there as well. Have fun.

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028

Post by Ysabell » March 18th, 2013, 12:02 am

If you go to 48, 20 (which is just north of where Al'tabim spawns) you'll see a tall rock slab that looks almost too steep to run up, but it's not. You can run straight up and follow the path at the top to the cave mentioned earlier in the thread, the entrance is at 49, 25. No need to employ creative use of game mechanics or environment, I think it's just something they forgot to close off or intentionally left open for people who want to explore and peek around.

I did utilize some more creative exploration techniques to get in the far North area, but everything in it was blank and unpopulated when I was there.

Threnody
Pet Score:3078
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Threnody » March 21st, 2013, 8:34 pm

Not sure if the hotfixes changed the spawn points, but I see quite a lot of Thundertail Flappers at Diremoor now, mostly close to the Horde area.