New Carps

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu
Re: New Carps

Post by Ryazan » March 15th, 2013, 4:30 am

Peanutty wrote:Only advice I can give is to take advantage of Fish of the Day spawns and to fish in moderation. I always try to read or do something else on the side while fishing, to just keep it relaxed as possible.
This, and try not to focus too much on the mentality "Another fish but NO CARP YET". I've found best just to fish and not to think the carp, it will come when it will come and stressing over it on each cast just makes things worse - again, for me at least.

My carp experience so far:

Tiny Green Carp - caught 13.3.2013
  • Fished from pools only

Location: Vale of Eternal Blossoms, lake beneath Mogu'Shan palace, next to Aki
    Casts: Don't remember the exact amount but it's between 40-80 casts. Caught from Emperor Salmon pool.
Tiny Blue Carp - caught 14.3.2013
  • Fished from pools only

Location: Vale of Eternal Blossoms, lake beneath Mogu'Shan palace, next to Aki
    Casts: 30-40 casts. Caught from Jewel Danio pool.
Tiny Red Carp - not yet caught
  • Fishing from pools only

Casts: Currently 200 casts from Spinefish Schools.
Tiny White Carp - not yet caught
  • Starting after red.
- Taking your candles since 2005

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Index » March 15th, 2013, 4:31 am

Fished up the Tiny Green from the fish of the day pools around Stormstout brewery. I noted that this also appeared while I was in a raid, ready to kill Sha of Spam :)

1 down...

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » March 16th, 2013, 1:16 am

Three out of four carp done. I'm not counting casts, just fishing while I watch Netflix. One of the advantages of not currently being permitted to work, I'll grant you.

Just the blue fellow to go ^^

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » March 16th, 2013, 4:26 pm

I fished in the reef octopus daily swarm and got the white carp. I spent about six hours fishing in the mantis shrimp spawns but have had no luck with any if the other three as of yet.

I have however, been able to get a ton of ironpaw tokens by making groceries. Also was able to help a guildie get enough to get his cooking bell. That's a lotta' fish!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Korphi
Top Rater
Pet Score:7980
BattleTag®:Hypnotic#1255
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Korphi » March 17th, 2013, 4:57 am

The tiny red carp hates me. T~T

I almost filled a guild bank tab with stacks of fish... you'd think I'd have emptied the lake by now.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » March 17th, 2013, 6:59 am

Korphi wrote:The tiny red carp hates me. T~T

I almost filled a guild bank tab with stacks of fish... you'd think I'd have emptied the lake by now.
At night, the Pandaren fill the lake again. I overheard farmer yoon complaining about it the other day. :D

Hellfiredoom
Pet Score:3487
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Hellfiredoom » March 17th, 2013, 9:04 am

Amadia wrote:
Zingela wrote:Caught the first Tiny Carp I set out for--Tiny Red Carp. Followed some advice and fished from the small lake near Niuzao Temple, ended up catching mine in open water there after maybe two hours of fishing. I wasn't counting casts (sorry!), but I was using the Pandaren Fishing Charm and the item appeared as a secondary fish. I'll try for the other three later tonight.
How are people getting secondary fish from open water? I thought the charm only granted extra fish from pools?
I think the point being when you catch the carp it's the second fish caught. ie. Golden Carp plus your preciousssss... :lol:

Zythehealer
Pet Score:2908
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Zythehealer » March 17th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Maybe my the Pandaren Fishing Charm helped, maybe it didn't (I caught all of mine in open water) but I sure as heck wasn't going to gamble on it! I had the charm so I used it.

Ryazan
MVP

Post by Ryazan » March 17th, 2013, 4:31 pm

No harm using the charm in open waters but it doesn't affect positively either :)

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » March 17th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Last night I finally got the red and green carps. I did about 400 casts in the fish of the day pools for the green as it was Krasarand Paddlefish and nada. This followed two separate days I did about the same number of casts in green carp fish of the day pools. After finishing the 20 ironpaw tokens, I made some +150 fishing lures and went over to Fish Felreed's dock. Fishing hat, pole and +150 lure on I caught the green carp from open water about 40 casts later.
The tiny red carp I'd tried fishing in open water at Rikkitun Village previously with no luck. This time I headed to the lake that the fish dude tamer stands by and used my +150 lures along with my hat and pole. I almost didn't notice when I caught it about 60 casts later.

I know it's just anecdotal evidence, but it certainly feels like there's something to getting your fishing up past the 'no junk' skill level of a zone.
Image Image

Korphi
Top Rater
Pet Score:7980
BattleTag®:Hypnotic#1255
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Korphi » March 18th, 2013, 6:27 am

Red carp continues to evade me. Putting in 2-4 hours of solid fishing in open water daily and nadda.

._. Fishy, why you evade me? I JUST WANNA LOVE YOU.

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » March 18th, 2013, 8:12 am

I recommend if you're going to fish these in open water to stock up on some Heat-Treated Spinning Lures. +150 fishing is a great boost for 15 minutes, and they aren't very expensive to make if you have a miner or engineer.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Kagalii
Top Rater
Pet Score:10513
BattleTag®:Mikadochan#1520
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Kagalii » March 18th, 2013, 10:30 am

I just want to add that I caught 2 Green Carps while waiting for Galleon to spawn (cannot learn the second one). Both on alts who don't have the fishing charm, both in open water, and at lower skill level (under 400). The carps ALWAYS show up as secondary to your main catch, regardless of whether or not you are using the charm. So that seems to disprove the whole theory about how the charm helps to catch them.

Radnok
Pet Score:4023
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Radnok » March 18th, 2013, 4:17 pm

In addition to the heat seeking lures that Doobjanka mentioned, I am thinking that the lure master tackle boxes would be handy. Can stay out fishing longer before needing to empty bags. :)
Radnok (Alliance/Kilrogg)
Igasho/Pandirella (Horde/Madoran)

Taurnek22
Top Rater
Pet Score:2460
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Post by Taurnek22 » March 18th, 2013, 4:40 pm

Just got my Tiny Green Carp out of a Jade Lungfish school in the Jade Forest. Using my Mastercraft Kalu'ak Fishing Pole, Weather Beaten Fishing Hat and Ancient Pandaren Fishing Charm. Fished up a Jade Lungfish, a Flying Tiger Gourami and the Tiny Green Carp

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » March 18th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Amadia wrote:How are people getting secondary fish from open water? I thought the charm only granted extra fish from pools?
When you catch something special, whether it's a sea turtle, tiny carp, giant rat or daily quest fish, it will show up in addition to whatever it was you actually caught that cast.

I'm pretty sure you won't get it with trash items, so try to have a skill high enough for that area.

*edit* if they're attaching a pandaren fishing charm and then fishing open water, the charm does nothing.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » March 21st, 2013, 9:14 am

I've fished ~300 fish since patch and honestly didn't expect to have a carp by now (which I haven't), but looking at some of the low numbers here, maybe I have been unlucky!

Ryazan
MVP

Post by Ryazan » March 21st, 2013, 12:41 pm

Heh, and I just got the Sea Turtle while fishing. Have to count but it took like 900 casts from pools - without trying of course. ^_^