Backline damage approach

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us
Backline damage approach

Post by Tekulve2012 » March 12th, 2013, 11:29 am

With 5.2 changes , it seems like Arcane Explosion got a boost and if I'm not mistaken it hits your opponent's full team
Does anyone field a PvP team that operates on backilne damage if so post the threesome please
--------
I'd like to try to field a pet team that has a the Terr. turnip (I like the HP boost and healing=sunny day/ Insp. song)
and then have heavy hitting backline dmg from other pets (independent of weather I guess)

Is arcane explosion the best full team dmg attack ? .. maybe some of you know the math of it
---------
But I'm open to any trio that hammers the opponent's full team at once

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Re: Backline damage approach

Post by Stabya » March 12th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Of all the other abilities I can think of that hit the whole team, they all have a cooldown

I wonder if sunny day would backfire if the other team has a healer. Actually Spamming Arcane explosion followed by a call darkness might be effective in that for 5 rounds it would be tough to heal back that dmg.

I just saw something that might work nicely - Chrominius. If im reading his abilities correctly, he can spam arcane explosion then heal and spam some more.

Have you tried him? I wonder how that would work if you opened with Chrominius, and used arcane explosion and healed on cooldown, then swapped in Scourged Whelpling to Call Darkness then dreadful breath the team some more.

Tekulve2012

Post by Tekulve2012 » March 12th, 2013, 1:10 pm

tks for the feedback

I get the point about boosting your opponent's HP backfiring .. in that case you'd want H/H pets which hurts
your power output... maybe H/P could work .. some of the better rares are H/P
---------
I picked up Chrominius for this purpose but haven't had the chance to level him
.. still waiting to get my 1st ever toon to Pandaria and boost my collection #'s...
also leveling pets there will likely be easier and quicker

The scourged whelping has been eluding me but I'm eager since it's reputed to be a solid battlepet
---------

Stabya

Post by Stabya » March 12th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Ill give this a try tonight. The game is BEGGING for new pets to be marked for nerfing in 5.3 :D

Ill try chrominius with his Arcane Explosion - Heal - Arcane Explosion

Then when he dies, Ill try a supercharged FLUX, from the infamous FFF

and see whats left standing

Now im going by the website here..its listing chrominius as having the heal and A E

But it sounds fun

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » March 12th, 2013, 4:38 pm

I've been using Chrominius the past two days for farming rare flying pets (while leveling someone else). Arcane Explosion does full damage to the front pet and half damage to the backline pets, no cooldown. His heal does have a cooldown. Since I was farming and not PVP-ing, I had Ravage in slot three. I'd spam Arcane Explosion until the flying pet was almost dead, hit Ravage, which would kill the bird and heal Chrominus. The likely critter backline pet would swap in at low health, and the second half of Ravage would kill *that* pet, healing Chrominius again. With Ravage on cooldown, hit Arcane Explosion (or the heal) again, then Ravage again. Since Chrominius is also a dragon, the second and third pets would usually swap in with Chrominius having the dragonkin racial up. The only times I had issues with this format was any dot heavy team, because my heals all came at once, at the end. A constant (or multiple constant) dot whittled him down a lot. Snakes teams were especially bad, for the dot and counterstrike.

I admit I haven't tried this in a few months, but when I was leveling my pets, I used a Molten Hatchling a lot. Leech Life in slot 1, Cauterize in slot 2, Magma Wave in slot three. Magma Wave hits the whole team with no reduction for backline like Arcane Explosion with no cooldown, and the other two slots are heals, although both have cooldowns. I'd take down whole teams with just the spider.

Stabya

Post by Stabya » March 12th, 2013, 5:05 pm

Ehhh Arcane Explosion doesnt hit hard enough. Maybe try rotating harder hitting backline abilities

Rappinronforte
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Rappinronforte » March 12th, 2013, 5:28 pm

My Team Damage team:

Thundering Serpent Hatchling
Pebble
Magical Crawdad

Round:
1) Cyclone
2) Call Lightning
3) Switch to Pebble
4) Quake
5) Switch to Magical Crawdad
6) Healing Mist
7) Wish
8) Switch to Pebble
9) Quake

Depending on the team I'm fighting I may throw in Pebble's Rupture, and with a good healing rival I'll have to reapply Cyclone and Call Lightning.

Overall this combo works great since you get so many different abilities hitting at the same time. Also, since Pebble is elemental the Call Lightning ability won't hurt him, and he has higher health than any pet atm.

I hope this helps. :mrgreen:

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » March 12th, 2013, 8:15 pm

I think you waste too much damage on frequent switching. And once your opponent looses a pet, the overall damage of a teamdamage party goes down.

I think the best thing is to just have a teamdamager as an opener to hurt the opponent. And imo, few does it as well as Lil. XT. Have a pet with Call Lightning start. Then sub in Lil Xt. Pop Heartbroken and Tymphanic Tantrum and watch the damage go through the roof.

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » March 12th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Im with the above, team dmg without CD is just pitiful dmg, and team dmg on the whole fails after one pet goes down.

LilXT is king, tho for those that dont have it a stoned world destroyer is a nice ripoff version.

Tekulve2012

Post by Tekulve2012 » March 13th, 2013, 8:13 am

I've only done 700 or so battles to date overall - all trainer and wild battles

I've focussed on collecting good pets for when I have the time for more pvp
(by then hopefully the rewards will be there- though I think stones can be earned this way now- at a low drop rate)
------
Noob question- I know lil xt is a blizz store buy- I have Landro's lil xt .. do they have the same stats and ability set?
I see Landro's has heartbreak and the tymp.tantrum

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » March 13th, 2013, 8:42 am

Tekulve2012 wrote:I've only done 700 or so battles to date overall - all trainer and wild battles

I've focussed on collecting good pets for when I have the time for more pvp
(by then hopefully the rewards will be there- though I think stones can be earned this way now- at a low drop rate)
------
Noob question- I know lil xt is a blizz store buy- I have Landro's lil xt .. do they have the same stats and ability set?
I see Landro's has heartbreak and the tymp.tantrum
They are the same, yes :)

Rappinronforte
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Rappinronforte » March 13th, 2013, 9:43 am

Luciandk wrote:I think you waste too much damage on frequent switching. And once your opponent looses a pet, the overall damage of a teamdamage party goes down.

I think the best thing is to just have a teamdamager as an opener to hurt the opponent. And imo, few does it as well as Lil. XT. Have a pet with Call Lightning start. Then sub in Lil Xt. Pop Heartbroken and Tymphanic Tantrum and watch the damage go through the roof.
I kill Courageous Yon's entire team with this strat. They go down together almost every time for me. I dont even have to fight a second pet.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » March 13th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Tekulve2012 wrote:I have Landro's lil xt .. do they have the same stats and ability set?
Same abilities, but slightly different stats--at 25 it's:
Lil XT 1546 health, 322 power, 227 speed
Landro's Lil XT 1465 health, 322 power, 240 speed

Tekulve2012

Post by Tekulve2012 » March 13th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Yikes looks like the blizzard store version trumps
since the hp boost for lil xt is more battle worthy
than a speed that tops out at 240 for landro's version

Thanks for the info

Bobasaurus
Pet Score:3792
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Bobasaurus » August 1st, 2013, 5:25 pm

I'm going to be trying this line up:

Unborn Val'kyr
-Shadow Slash
-Curse of Doom
-Unholy Ascension(key)

Thundering Serpent Hatchling
-Breath
-Call Lightning
-Cyclone

Lil' XT
-Zap
-Heartbroken
-Tympanic Tantrum

My idea is to use the Valk as long as possible then sac her when she comes back from dying. Then put in TSH, Call Lightning and swap to Lil'XT and use Tympanic Tantrum. I haven't been able to try it yet, still leveling the pets, but I like the concept and it should work well.

Tekulve2012

Post by Tekulve2012 » August 1st, 2013, 7:46 pm

Interesting this old post came back ... 3k battles later for me now and a few pvp backline teams are around. A call lightning team with the SRMicrosentry and Willy (to slam the undead) and a third call lightning pet (varies) is what I see .. Sometimes it's the CWGnome involved for turrets

Sandstorm and swap teams are always a problem but both are due for nerfing in 5.4 so these combos may become relevant

Also of note is the TM Yeti who one shots direhorns often enough and has call lightning