Tricks to fast leveling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us
Tricks to fast leveling

Post by Ravnhawk » February 25th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Here a trick I have been using to level level 1 pets to level 5 in one battle. I found it by accident.

I was hunting for a rare Devouring Maggot and a rare Fjord Rat - both can be found as seconds to Worg Pups. (took awhile but I got my rares) So I went to the Kalaska Island and started farming there. The Worg Pups re-spawn very quickly so there is no down time waiting for re-spawns. Since I was farming for the rares this allowed for no down time as I was able to level pets easily as well.

Here's my setup:

1. Level 1 pet
2. Level 1 pet
3. Infinite Whelping (Named Trixie heal on CD)

I found the Worg Pup did these moves.

A. 50% of the time did Dazzling Dance.
B. 45% of the time attacked killing my Level 1
C. 5% of the time attacked on his 1st 2 moves.

AA. If the Worp pup does A I swap in Trixie, heal on CD killed all the other pets. I win level 1 pet gets to level 5.
BB. Worg Pup does B pet 1 USUALLY Dies. I then swap in my 2nd level 1 and he does A, I swap in Trixie and repeat.
CC. If he does C, it's start over very bad luck. I white flag out and put in 2 more level 1's.

Using this method I didn't need to use even one bandage or go find a stable master. Trixie's heals were good enough to win fight after fight. I would top her off every time my "heal pet ability" was off CD. This also rezzed the pets that had died and I could use them again. You can most likely use another pet with heals, but Trixie is my g to pet for leveling like this.

Good luck! You can level father then level 5 I used this for level 1 and 2 pets mostly. Might stay here and level further once I get all to level 5. This also helps you quickly score victories for the 5000 pet battle win achieve. (I forgot the name)

Happy leveling and good luck!

Knotrandall
Pet Score:4912
Realm:Maelstrom-us

Re: Tricks to fast leveling

Post by Knotrandall » February 25th, 2013, 6:00 pm

I have done something similar with cornish rex cat against the critters in Valley of the Four Winds, Devour heals him for almost half his health and he kills all critters in 3 hits, usually ending fights with full health. I like the idea of using 2 lowbies in case one dies though, I'll have to start doing that.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » February 25th, 2013, 6:41 pm

On a related note, does anyone have an efficient way to top off your level 24 pets? I usually level pets with tamers, but once they're level 24 then a tamer gives way more XP than is needed to ding 25, which seems wasteful. I tried taking teams of 3 lvl 24s versus critters in Vo4W or hidden stair, but that's only ~150 XP per pet and is very tedious. I think I probably have ~100 level 24s built up by now, and I'd like to polish them off without 100s of wild pet battles if possible.

Knotrandall
Pet Score:4912
Realm:Maelstrom-us

Post by Knotrandall » February 25th, 2013, 8:44 pm

I don't know if it's the fastest way but I pretty much do it the same way, a strong beast vs. critters in Valley of the Four Winds or a moth vs. aquatics in Vale of Eternal Blossoms. If the pet has <50% into the level I do it 1 pet at a time, if it starts getting closer to 25 I bring in another pet or 2 to not waste any xp.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » February 25th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Poofah wrote:On a related note, does anyone have an efficient way to top off your level 24 pets? I usually level pets with tamers, but once they're level 24 then a tamer gives way more XP than is needed to ding 25, which seems wasteful. I tried taking teams of 3 lvl 24s versus critters in Vo4W or hidden stair, but that's only ~150 XP per pet and is very tedious. I think I probably have ~100 level 24s built up by now, and I'd like to polish them off without 100s of wild pet battles if possible.
You want a team of two other 25's. That way there is no XP soaked up by any other pets.

Bloodyfields
MVP
Pet Score:3152
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Bloodyfields » February 26th, 2013, 10:29 am

I like going to Wyrmrest Temple, tons of Dragonbone Hatchlings all over. Lvl 22-23 and a stable master right at the temple for quick heals when Heal Battle Pets is on CD. If you have plenty of bandages you don't even need the stable master. I like to use Highlands Turkey in slot 2, very strong against aquatics and most often Dragonbone Hatchlings (DH) will have 2 aquatics, sometimes an Arctic Hare. HT is still pretty good against those too. I throw Emerald Proto Whelp in slot 3. About any dragonkin with a self heal will also work. EPW with Emerald Bite will take down DH in short order, HT rules aquatics. Throw a lvl 1 in first slot. Lvl 1's I always look for a lvl 22 DH to start, lvl 23's will often 1 shot a lvl 1. DH's that drop Cyclone will sometimes kill your lvl 1 pets before the battle is over but more often than not this is not an issue.

1st battle will take a lvl 1 to lvl 5, next battle to lvl 7, then lvl 9. Then lvl 10 from 10 to 15-16 usually only 1 lvl per battle. After 16-20 you may have 1-2 battles per lvl. Once I have a pet to lvl 20 I start with a new lvl 1. Only leave your lowbie in for 1 round and use your 25's to quickly get the battle over with. HT and EPW are the 2 I found to be most efficient with this. Any flying will be strong against aquatics and like I said dragonkin are strong against flying. Both are good enough against critter to handle the Arctic Hares.

You can lvl a lot of lowbies pretty quickly this way. From 20-23 I go to Valley of the Four winds or Vale of Eternal blossoms and only battle lvl 25's. Both have lots of aquatics so my HT stays in the lineup. In Vo4Ws I swap out Flayer Youngling for my EPW. In the Vale the EPW comes back in as you'll get a good many Effervescent Glowflies along with the aquatics. I don't normally battle the Gilded Moths as they sometimes are hard to find and I leave them for anyone that may be looking for a rare. If I do battle a lvl 25 GM I will not kill off the trio as they will re-spawn faster if you leave at least one.

You can continue to lvl your pets to 25 but it takes a lot more battles. I prefer to bring in lvl 23's against my Panda Tamer dailies including the 4 Spirit tamers. 2 dailies will take a 23 to 25. These can be tricky to figure out the best teams and where and when to put your lowbie. I don't have time to outline strats against all the tamers but I have teams that I can 1-2 pet all of them. A typical day I can lvl 5-6 lvl 23's with just the tamer dailies. I usually will have 1 lvl 24 that I need to finish off against any lvl 25 wild team.

Once in a while a Flawless Flying battle stone will drop. If you're like me you probably have plenty of vendor/quest uncommon flying pets to use these on.

If you study the mechanics of the Panda daily tamers they are very consistent with their mechanics if you always start with the same enemy pet up first.
Proudly serving as Guild Master of Magical Menagerie.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » February 26th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Poofah wrote:On a related note, does anyone have an efficient way to top off your level 24 pets? I usually level pets with tamers, but once they're level 24 then a tamer gives way more XP than is needed to ding 25, which seems wasteful. I tried taking teams of 3 lvl 24s versus critters in Vo4W or hidden stair, but that's only ~150 XP per pet and is very tedious. I think I probably have ~100 level 24s built up by now, and I'd like to polish them off without 100s of wild pet battles if possible.
I usually reserve my 24's to use with Antari, Obalis or Payne if it's the right kind of pet. Those three provide enough XP to hit 25 without too much wasted usually.

Antari and Obalis can do two 24's and a 25.

Payne I only every use 1ea 24 and then only if it's strong against one of his types.

For level 1 pets I'll go to Trixie in Winterspring. I use my Anubisath Idol and take out the Cub and Dragon, cast a sandstorm and then rotate my level 1's in and they usually live though the owl's shooting feather attack as they are reduced and 1 usually misses.

Lilhottie
Pet Score:2252
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Lilhottie » February 28th, 2013, 4:31 am

life frequently hands me not enough time to finish all the trainers. When I get in that state, I try and rush to one last trainer with the lvl24 and crush the trainer. That and periodically looking for lvl 25 wild pets while flying around pandaria to the trainers are how I have done mine.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » February 28th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Talmar wrote: Antari and Obalis can do two 24's and a 25.
I seem to have gotten stuck on Obalis, even using 25s (maybe its just a conditioned resistance to him)...what do I need to use to efficiently beat this guy? I really want to move on to Pandaria trainers. I do not have all the special raid pets yet, so perhaps that is my problem? Is there an effective line-up that uses normal wild caught pets?

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » February 28th, 2013, 12:49 pm

If you just want to straight up beat obalis using 3 25's and move on...

Use a Dragon vs Moth, Mech vs Snake and Beast vs Beetle

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » February 28th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Breehit wrote:
I seem to have gotten stuck on Obalis, even using 25s (maybe its just a conditioned resistance to him)...what do I need to use to efficiently beat this guy? I really want to move on to Pandaria trainers. I do not have all the special raid pets yet, so perhaps that is my problem? Is there an effective line-up that uses normal wild caught pets?
He usually starts with flyer, i start with LilXT (zap/repair/tantrum) and use him to knockout the snake from backrow. When xt dies bring lvl1 in for one round then Emerald protowhelp cleans up the flyer and whatever is left of the roach (usually he is almost dead).

Sidonwy
Pet Score:9169
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Sidonwy » February 28th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Breehit wrote:

It's not one of the super-efficient teams that can accommodate a lowbie, but I've beaten him with rare captured pets. I've used a Dragonbone Hatchling to beat the snake, a rare oily slimeling to beat the moth (I use abilities 2, 1, 2 usually.), and some rare beast to get the beetle. My logic for the bird was to gain the bonus defense against Pyth's beast attacks, and not to have a mech that would be weak against the elemental dot from poison fang. A beast with devour or ravage is probably unnecessary, but nice if they have to be brought in early to finish something off.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » February 28th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Breehit wrote:I seem to have gotten stuck on Obalis, even using 25s (maybe its just a conditioned resistance to him)...what do I need to use to efficiently beat this guy? I really want to move on to Pandaria trainers. I do not have all the special raid pets yet, so perhaps that is my problem? Is there an effective line-up that uses normal wild caught pets?
Your Emerald Proto-Whelp will be the key to this fight, using Emerald Bite, Emerald Presence and Emerald Dream.
If you're careful, you can actually solo him with the Proto-Whelp, but it's slow going.
The main issue will be the snake's humanoid ability. Make sure you've got enough health when it comes off cooldown.

Also, keep in mind that Obalis is one of the bugged trainers - in 5.2, he should be somewhat easier to manage.
ImageImage

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » March 1st, 2013, 5:23 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies about Obalis! Its interesting to be reminded that he is bugged..and that there may a light ahead for 5.2!

Mandinbal
Pet Score:3326
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Mandinbal » March 2nd, 2013, 11:51 pm

In Zul Drak at the water wavelings is best...instant respawns and @ 300 exp for the lvl 20-24 pets

Stonewallred
Pet Score:1825
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Stonewallred » March 3rd, 2013, 9:29 am

Oily Slimeling and Garden Moth plus whatever lowbie pet I am grinding on the Dragonbone Hatchlings. Usually start at lvl 5-7, run them to 15-20, then rinse and repeat. The Oily demolishes the hatchlings and is not shabby against the aquatics and critters either. Stable master right there, and the hatchlings never seem to stop spawning.