Stunted Shardhorn

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Stonewallred
Pet Score:1825
Realm:Malfurion-us
Stunted Shardhorn

Post by Stonewallred » February 24th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Can't find one. Been haunting the two spawn areas for over a week, at all different hours of the day and night, after server restarts, and not seen a single one. Note that, not captured one, not saw one stuck in a tree, but have not seen a single one. Is it a seasonal pet or tied to some weather condition?

Fenriz
Top Rater
Pet Score:7296
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Re: Stunted Shardhorn

Post by Fenriz » February 24th, 2013, 7:28 pm

It's just a pet, and i guess your just unlucky. If it was seasonal the bugged one wouldn't show either ;) .
However since Blizzard came up with that not so brilliant idea to make all old areas crossrealm all pets are harder to get than they should be.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » February 24th, 2013, 7:31 pm

No, not seasonal or weather-bound. They shouldn't be that hard to find, even under heavy CRZ.

That having been said, I have noticed a decided increase in pet-hunters lately.
Seems like a lot of people are bored waiting for 5.2 and are taking up pet-hunting in the interim.

Even pets that aren't normally heavily farmed, like Lava Beetles, seem to be in short supply.
I'm not sure what the cause is, but I do know that hunting in general has been a little more frustrating lately.
ImageImage

Stonewallred
Pet Score:1825
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Stonewallred » February 24th, 2013, 10:46 pm

Updated:
Got on my hunter and went to Basin with the firm intent on letting loose the hounds of war and slaughtering everything in the Basin until this pet spawned. Flew in, and caught a common within 2 minutes of arrival. Stayed there long enough to farm up two stacks of ore and 8 full stacks of borean leather and did not see another one. Caught a emerald proto-whelp though, so not too bad.

Now need a capture in The Storm Peaks for Northrend and Continental tamer, if it is artic fox kit, will only need scourged for northrend safari.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » February 24th, 2013, 11:31 pm

Stonewallred wrote:Now need a capture in The Storm Peaks for Northrend and Continental tamer, if it is artic fox kit, will only need scourged for northrend safari.
My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to park an alt in Storm Peaks.

If you have enough alts to spare, park one in Storm Peaks near Snowdrift Plains and one in Icecrown near Sindragosa's Fall.
But if you only have one alt to spare, park it on the northern border between Storm Peaks and Icecrown.
That way you can check Storm Peaks for snowfall, and if none exists, you can check Sindragosa's Fall for a Scourged Whelpling.

Arctic Fox Kits are the best way to get the Storm Peaks part of the achievement. Two birds, one stone and all that.
Sitting out there waiting for snowfall, though, is like watching the proverbial pot. Just check in once in a while.
ImageImage

Xsftifa09
Top Rater
Pet Score:5692
BattleTag®:Mysa#1302
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Xsftifa09 » February 24th, 2013, 11:57 pm

I see them all the time on my server. Last time I was there there quite a few. If you want to send me a message with your btag I could invite you sometime if you wanted look for one.

Asharn
Pet Score:3934
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Asharn » February 25th, 2013, 12:46 am

Yeah, I often see multiple shardhorns, so I'm not sure how the spawning works. Only found a rare this week, though.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » February 25th, 2013, 4:48 am

I went wit hthe assumption that they were tied to the adult shardhorns (mother/baby spawning), killed those in the hope that one would spawn with a pet 'baby'.

I got mixed results from this approach, but did finally get my rare.

I'm not too sure if they spawn as 'babies' (like Infested Bear Cubs and Dimetradon Hatchlings do), or just have a chance at being a respawn after a mob is killed.

I also spent some time clearing out biletoads, in case they were on a seperate critter respawn table (like Minfernal).

Got a couple of rares after a few days investment, and got my P/P rare Emerald Whelp while I was doing this

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13538
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » February 25th, 2013, 6:10 am

Gendou wrote:That having been said, I have noticed a decided increase in pet-hunters lately.
Seems like a lot of people are bored waiting for 5.2 and are taking up pet-hunting in the interim.
I would also guess that people are rushing to get rares now before it becomes a bit more of a hassle after 5.2, with the whole abandoning of battles etc. I know that's what I'm currently doing!
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Bloodyfields
MVP
Pet Score:3152
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Bloodyfields » February 25th, 2013, 11:29 am

I can't say for a fact that Stunted Shardhorns are a re-spawn after killing the adults but after having used this in Un'Goro for Dimetredons I applied it to Shardhorns. It did seem that more Stunted Shardhorns appeared after killing off all the adults and they began to re-spawn. Could also be they would have spawned anyway and killing the adults just gave me something to do while waiting and all be a coinky-dink. I have been there recently hoping my Emerald Proto Whelp would jump in my bags and have seen a number of Stunted Shardhorns. Thrall US server.
Proudly serving as Guild Master of Magical Menagerie.

Tatra
Pet Score:4589
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Tatra » February 25th, 2013, 3:22 pm

i have had a lot of luck with this guy at night time. for some reason on my crz not a whole lot of people after it during those times if you need message me and ill invite you to group