Official 2x3 Tamer Guide

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803
Re: Official 2x3 Tamer Guide

Post by Dash » February 12th, 2013, 12:31 am

This can be tricky because the pet was only obtainable at the end of TBC, but I'm loving the [url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/undead/miscellaneous/vampiric-batling/[/url]Vampiric Batling for the Water Spirit. Bite for the critter and reckless strike for the fish, get that extra round as an undead and the other team is pretty much down except for the elemental.

Iconyx
Pet Score:2660
Realm:Magtheridon-us

Post by Iconyx » February 12th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Drudatz wrote:Or you just use Anubisan Idol (from AQ40) and FluxFire Feline for ALL Tamers and you dont have to switch teams all the time.
At the start I used different Pets for Tamers but these 2 get all Tamers down easy and quick.
Unfortunately, Reflect will be removed in 5.2 and Fluxfire may not be as useful as it once was. I have to agree though, for 5.1 this combo was killer.

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » February 13th, 2013, 8:30 am

Yeah, in a few weeks it will be time to write new guides. The Anub Idol/FFF > ALL Tamers strat will be dead

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » February 14th, 2013, 3:28 pm

I try to reuse pets for multiple battles whenever possible because I hate reading strategies that mention off the wall pets I have to go train for ONE FIGHT in the entire game...

NORTHREND:
Gutrench is soloable by lil'XT (or landros XT). Zap Repair Tantrum. Tantrum/Repair on CD. Dont kill the second maggot until you've killed the rat in the backline. Lowbie must eat an attack.

Jacob I use Rabbit+Frog. I don't take Cleansing Rain anymore to override Darkness, It's a wasted turn namely because I don't heal with this strategy, and Mort's attack should never hit anyway. Switch the lowbie in during Mort's self-stun.

For Okrut I usually just keep the same team as Jacob, though the Frog is a freebie slot you can put basically any type-advantaged pet in. Lowbie will likely get hit, and sometimes I have to redo as he tends to dodge with a frustratingly high chance.

The gnome in HF is soloable by many dragon types, I use emerald proto-whelp. Lowbie usually ends up taking a hit.

Major Payne I skip for leveling proposes and just use three high level pets ( LilXT, A Water Strider, and a Rabbit), as I haven't found a 2-pet team yet that is reliable enough to not have to reset at least once {other than the typical resetting to get the right pet to start} and it just doesn't make sense with efficiency if I could do 3 random battles for the same exp in less time.

CATA:
I honestly skip the Cata trainers most of the time. Hyjal can be crushed with Lil'XT + any type advantaged pet though, easier if he opens with the Lantern actually since his attacks are weak against you. Tantrum/Repair until XT bites the dust and let your beatstick clean up the team (usually 1-shotting anything that's left).

Deepholm can be soloed by a lucky Ooze type (I use Disgusting Oozling) with Absorb/Corrosion/Acidic Goo. The luck comes in with how often you are allowed to Absorb with both debuffs up, have a beatstick ready to clean up in case. I just use Emerald Proto-Whelp.

Twilight Highlands dude I don't bother as I'm convinced his Spider cheats and makes that a long battle.

Uldum I use Lil'XT to kill the snake and Anub Idol to clean the rest of whats left, any unlucky circumstance the Idol can usually come back from.

PANDERIA:
Nishi is laughably easy. A Strider type with Water Jet/Heal/Pump can solo, a Water Waveling with Lance/Nova/Tidal Wave can solo, LilXT can take out both backline pets with a beatstick taking Siren out, etc etc. Plus the leveling pet doesn't have to take a hit.

Yon is easy too, Anub can solo with some luck, a Crab or Crawdad + Dragon type (for Piqua) also works fine. Anub does wonderful here even without Reflection (a good note for 5.2) and Sandstorm allows you to sub in a lvl1 during the rabbit's stampede so it doesn't have to take a hit.

Aki I use Clockwork Gnome to take out Stormlash easily and Anub Idol to clean up the rest. Stormlash should go like this every time: Turrent, Repair {You die/Rez during Repair unless he misses}, Turrent. The round should end with double Turrents killing him, if not one more round will. Then just like I said with Yon, use Sandstorm and field your lvl1 against Chirrup so it doesn't have to take a hit. Anub also doesn't need Reflection dmg so this is valid in 5.2.

Hyuna the first two pets can be taken down with an Ooze (see Deepholm for the cookie cutter skills). Field your lowbie on the Turtle so it doesn't have to take a hit, then any pet that can withstand ~400 dmg every 4th round while dealing more than that in dmg can take the Turtle, some faster than others. Rabbit is fine, anything with Cocoon Strike is fine {has the bonus of also usually having a Flying attack}, any pet with a good heal like Crawdad is fine, etc.

Mo'ruk I'll be honest I usually don't try to 2x him for the same reason as Major Payne (Randomness causing resets), but a generic Crab + Dragon type (Emerald Proto-Whelp, Celestial, etc) like the alt strategy for Yon works most of the time.

Seeker I use Ooze to take out the first two pets then any type advantaged one to take out Skimmer (Actually being able to avoid the Pump is enough of an advantage lol). His Skimmer is very predictable with his cycle you should be enough to get a lvl1 in without getting it hit.

Shu is another one I honestly don't bother trying to 2-man usually, too much RNG in that battle, sorry.

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » February 15th, 2013, 1:19 am

Formerruling wrote:Major Payne I skip for leveling proposes and just use three high level pets ( LilXT, A Water Strider, and a Rabbit), as I haven't found a 2-pet team yet that is reliable enough to not have to reset at least once {other than the typical resetting to get the right pet to start} and it just doesn't make sense with efficiency if I could do 3 random battles for the same exp in less time.
Guildie actually found out a way to solo Payne with Molten Hatchling. I haven't tested it myself but it involves aoeing the backline pets with Magma Wave while tanking the bear. Naturally this is SLOOOOOOOW AS HELL but apparently it works.
Formerruling wrote:Mo'ruk I'll be honest I usually don't try to 2x him for the same reason as Major Payne (Randomness causing resets), but a generic Crab + Dragon type (Emerald Proto-Whelp, Celestial, etc) like the alt strategy for Yon works most of the time.
Took me quite a while to figure out way to deal the soddy monkey but I think I finally have a team I'm happy with: DMF tonk (Missile, Mine Field, Ion Cannon) and Crow/Gilnean Raven (I guess any flyer which can solidly beat the turtle works too) + newbie (helps if he isn't a total paperweight). There are few RNG factors still involved but at least I can live with them. :p

Battle goes as:
Tonk vs. worm, missile, mines during burrow and missile the worm to death. When the worm dies, tonk is usually at 300ish hp with dot on. Ion Cannon the moth and pray to gods $€&%/#@£ Moth Dust's sleep doesn't proc. If not, Moth ends up with 200ish hp and tonk dies during Moth Balls. Now I usually bring in the newbie to finish off the moth AND if the newbie can take some hits, soak the first Headbutt from Nickelback too. Swap in Crow/Raven and finish the turtle.
Formerruling wrote:Shu is another one I honestly don't bother trying to 2-man usually, too much RNG in that battle, sorry.
Shu is actually pretty easy if ask me. I've used FFF and Onyxian Whelp (but spawn works too if no whelp available) but any pet which can solo the crab works - FFF just does (did in 5.2) it fast. Key is just not to have roots on when the elemental swaps in so you can change in the dragon too. When possible try avoiding Ruptures with Lift-Off and remember Quake lasts three rounds - I've anticipated Rupture too early from it's cd but I forgot the pet can't cast Rupture before Quake is over.
Whelp sometimes could solo the hedgehog too but it can always soften him up so the newbie can be swapped in and then finally swap for the first pet for the kill.
- Taking your candles since 2005

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » February 15th, 2013, 7:56 am

Now that 5.2 is almost here, I'd love to see ideas for the new elite beasts of fable.
Mingyao on Madoran

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » February 15th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Ryazan wrote: Guildie actually found out a way to solo Payne with Molten Hatchling. I haven't tested it myself but it involves aoeing the backline pets with Magma Wave while tanking the bear. Naturally this is SLOOOOOOOW AS HELL but apparently it works.

Took me quite a while to figure out way to deal the soddy monkey but I think I finally have a team I'm happy with: DMF tonk (Missile, Mine Field, Ion Cannon) and Crow/Gilnean Raven (I guess any flyer which can solidly beat the turtle works too) + newbie (helps if he isn't a total paperweight). There are few RNG factors still involved but at least I can live with them. :p

Battle goes as:
Tonk vs. worm, missile, mines during burrow and missile the worm to death. When the worm dies, tonk is usually at 300ish hp with dot on. Ion Cannon the moth and pray to gods $€&%/#@£ Moth Dust's sleep doesn't proc. If not, Moth ends up with 200ish hp and tonk dies during Moth Balls. Now I usually bring in the newbie to finish off the moth AND if the newbie can take some hits, soak the first Headbutt from Nickelback too. Swap in Crow/Raven and finish the turtle.

Shu is actually pretty easy if ask me. I've used FFF and Onyxian Whelp (but spawn works too if no whelp available) but any pet which can solo the crab works - FFF just does (did in 5.2) it fast. Key is just not to have roots on when the elemental swaps in so you can change in the dragon too. When possible try avoiding Ruptures with Lift-Off and remember Quake lasts three rounds - I've anticipated Rupture too early from it's cd but I forgot the pet can't cast Rupture before Quake is over.
Whelp sometimes could solo the hedgehog too but it can always soften him up so the newbie can be swapped in and then finally swap for the first pet for the kill.
That's the thing with Payne, sometimes I can duo him fine and other times it takes forever.

The monkey is frustrating, but I wouldn't say he is as hard as Payne with RNG though. I've heard of Tonk strategies before but haven't leveled mine yet as well as Zeppelin. I might try. Crab+Dragon type works decently.

I didn't get a good FFF until the nerf was announced so never leveled it. I have almost effectively soloed Shu with a Crawdad before though (it was an annoying battle of attrition with the crab).

Elysoun
Top Rater
Pet Score:4394
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Elysoun » May 15th, 2013, 3:26 pm

I wish I had found this earlier. I've had a heckuva time with Okrut. My final team was:
Robo-Chick (Peck, Overtune, Wind-Up)
Alpine Hare (Scratch, Dodge, Burrow)
Shore Crab (Snap, Healing Wave, Shell Shield)

The Robo-Chick exclusively (should have) used Wind-Up. That did enough damage to take him out. I ended up using Peck 3 times as I got lucky on a series of dodges.

The Alpine Hare took out the second pet and ate into the final one.

The Shore Crab was able to play defense, stayed alive while whittling the final pet down.