Newer player's dilemma

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Raptorbait
Newer player's dilemma

Post by Raptorbait » February 14th, 2013, 1:22 pm

I just have to come to terms with the fact that I will never make the top of the lists since so many pets are no longer available. Trying to get my score up with over 100 25s and avg lvl of 13.5 so far. Not to mention rares of all available wilds, but still...

Okay i'll stop whining now :/

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Re: Newer player's dilemma

Post by Stabya » February 14th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Check out WowProgress - 100 25's should rank you high on their list.

Their rankings are based more on Pet Battling and Levelling than collecting.

This way you can enjoy the many benefits of this site, but still see your name higher on a list.

Raptorbait

Post by Raptorbait » February 14th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Cool I will check that out...thanks :) Every time I compare with someone they whip out that dang baby bear or spirit of comp :(

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » February 14th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Ickypic wrote:Cool I will check that out...thanks :) Every time I compare with someone they whip out that dang baby bear or spirit of comp :(
Looks like you're #4 on the server, #2 Horde-side. That's not bad, especially on a busy server.
However, the #1 player on your server has a top 200 US Pet Score. That might prove difficult to overcome.

Good luck! :mrgreen:
ImageImage

Tatra
Pet Score:4589
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Tatra » February 14th, 2013, 8:18 pm

ickypic i will never own any of the mulocs or any of the really expensive tcg card pets, unless i win them in drawings and or act of god in black market auction house. i rank 7th on my server, but hey i look at it as this. Am i having fun with the little side bonus, am i having fun signing up for pet tournaments and placing hi, have i got people involved in pet battling in my guild, and do we have fun hunting down pets.
I can answer yes to all of these and i know that i am having fun in my own little world of this game, and that for me is worth more than having the harder to get pets :)

Jera
Pet Score:652
Realm:Grim Batol-eu

Post by Jera » February 14th, 2013, 11:33 pm

I guess it's the same issue as the one that's been filling the column of most popular topics, on at least the european battlenet forums, with regular intervals for quite some time - making transmogrification of old pvp gear available to everyone.

Even though few people take vanity pets as seriously as gear when considering proof of past achievements, I'm sure enough do to cause at least a few unhappy outcries in pet-related fora. (Only being able to speak for myself of course) I have a feeling that I would get quite grumpy if I were one of the old collectors in question and my hard earned rarities were available to everyone all of the sudden.

I can't say I don't share your frustration when looking through the catalog on the site though :lol:

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Ysabell » February 15th, 2013, 12:42 am

Ickypic wrote:I just have to come to terms with the fact that I will never make the top of the lists since so many pets are no longer available. Trying to get my score up with over 100 25s and avg lvl of 13.5 so far. Not to mention rares of all available wilds, but still...

Okay i'll stop whining now :/
Even though you're listed as #5 in pets collected on your server, going by the newer pet score that warcraftpets is converting to only 1 of the 4 people ahead of you also has a higher pet score to go along with all the pets. Once 5.2 hits it's going to take a lot more time and effort for those guys to upgrade their poor/common/uncommon pets to catch up with you.

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » February 15th, 2013, 8:59 am

Ysabell - you said in 5.2 it will be harder to catch rares, can you elaborate?

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13538
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » February 15th, 2013, 9:20 am

• Fleeing a pet battle will no longer despawn the pet that was being battled, but doing so will now inflict some damage on the fleeing pet battle team.

Disconnecting from a pet battle will once again respawn the pets you were fighting.

Any pet that has been killed in a pet battle will now never respawn.
Basically, it's just going to be a little more annoying to find rares, because where you would normally forfeit a fight if there is no rare now, when you do that after the patch you whole team will take some damage regardless. AND the pet will still be there, afterwards, making it harder to remember which ones you have fought already. Currently I guess you could kill them with spells afterwards, but I wouldn't be surprised it Blizz put a stop to that at some point.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » February 15th, 2013, 12:41 pm

@Formerruling: I think what he meant was, when 5.2 hits WarcraftPets will be using score as a ranking system instead of number of pets. So it will be more difficult to catch rares and lvl them up vs. simply obtaining a new pet (not vs. prior to 5.2).

@Mehetabel: I wonder if marking a pet with a raid symbol works? If you forfeit, will the symbol still be there? Then you could just nuke your marked ones.

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » February 15th, 2013, 1:19 pm

I get it. Your pets take alittle damage and you have to nuke the dud pet instead of the forfeit clearing it. Sounds like a minor inconvenience.

Raptorbait

Post by Raptorbait » February 18th, 2013, 2:12 pm

I worked hard on getting all those rare wilds for exactly that reason. I was able to add lil terragosa and thundering hatching with the help of stage clear and a weekend of questing a new toon. Thanks!!

I appreciate the kind words and also the understanding that older players would have a more legitimate complaint if the old pets were made available to is newer players than I do now but still :p lol

Now if I can just figure out that stupid sunflower minigame lol

Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Aislinge » March 4th, 2013, 5:08 am

Some pets I wouldn't mind them bringing back or re-enabling a way of getting them because the first method was dubious to begin with.

Spirit of Competition comes to mind and I was really disappointed that they didn't redo that for the London Olympics. I can't see how anyone could feel hard done by if the pet was only obtainable once every four years in a computer game. The lack of having one isn't a reflection of lack of effort or time spent either - it was down to sheer dumb luck from the WoW Gods. That I don't like.

Another is Vampiric Batling. Now some (or many) may disagree with me on this one but hear me out. I was around in BC. I was also of level for Kara AND I was around for the Scourge invasion (I still wear my Tabard with pride). I'm not sure many people remember though what raiding was like back in those days (well, at least on my server) and especially for *oooo special sparkly bosses* like Mirkblood. Getting a run was virtually impossible if you were not already in an established raid team. They were insular, elitist, self-serving (so nothing's changed lol) and I know for my part, I never got a look in no matter how hard I tried. For our Guild, Kara raiding actually caused a split during that period, that's how intense it was. If they don't want to reintroduce the pet, at least allow it to be sold. Half those people don't play anymore or don't care about pets and would happily give it up for gold.

/rant 8-)

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » March 4th, 2013, 8:52 am

Aislinge wrote:Another is Vampiric Batling. Now some (or many) may disagree with me on this one but hear me out. I was around in BC. I was also of level for Kara AND I was around for the Scourge invasion (I still wear my Tabard with pride). I'm not sure many people remember though what raiding was like back in those days (well, at least on my server) and especially for *oooo special sparkly bosses* like Mirkblood. Getting a run was virtually impossible if you were not already in an established raid team. They were insular, elitist, self-serving (so nothing's changed lol) and I know for my part, I never got a look in no matter how hard I tried. For our Guild, Kara raiding actually caused a split during that period, that's how intense it was. If they don't want to reintroduce the pet, at least allow it to be sold. Half those people don't play anymore or don't care about pets and would happily give it up for gold.

/rant 8-)
I don't mind some pets being unique and unobtainable now. There are quite a few I know I'll never have. This is one I'd like to see them bring back and add as a drop to a boss in Kara. Keep it a fairly low drop rate or put it deep into Kara so you have to clear most of it to get to it.

I myself started in BC as a warrior and there wasn't a guild or group out there who would take a DPS warrior (utility) and none wanted to break in a brand new player who'd never tanked and would teach him the ropes. I couldn't even get into 5mans in BC. I was limited to dailies and PvP. I'm surprised I ever made it out of BC still playing to be honest.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13538
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » March 4th, 2013, 9:32 am

I'm another one who started playing in TBC and am missing a handful of the rare pets. However, I'm quite happy with that situation. I know if I was someone who had those pets I'd be upset if they were made re-available and so I respect that. Instead I'm concentrating on getting every single wild pet as a rare (3 to go) and leveling them up. That will give me a good enough sense of achievement. :)
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » March 4th, 2013, 10:25 am

I don't think that they should re-introduce the older pets, but I do think they should become like "Feats of Strength."
They can be used for battling and such, but shouldn't count toward your pet count or achievements.

That would put everyone on equal footing as far as pet scoring and achievements go.
ImageImage

Nosiara
Pet Score:11410
BattleTag®:Tesla#1469
Realm:The Scryers-us

Post by Nosiara » March 4th, 2013, 10:46 am

Personally, I'd like to see pet collectors have a chance at pets from other countries. How many cool pets did Korea or China get, that US players never had a shot at obtaining?

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » March 4th, 2013, 11:15 am

I have several CE pets (Wrath and later) and some of the unobtainable pets like Baby Blizzard Bear, Spirit of Competition, etc. and I have to say, I'd be thrilled if everyone now could have them the same as me. I don't really feel that my collection is diminished in any way by other people having the same pets I do, and other people having those pets wouldn't make the fact that I got mine way back when any less special in my mind.
Just my two cents.
Image Image

Laraven
Pet Score:7886
BattleTag®:LaRaven#1620
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Laraven » March 4th, 2013, 1:06 pm

I started playing late Wrath. Didn't know about the CE pets of course.

After I did, I went to eBay and bought the BC and Wrath CE. Paid quit a bit. Tried getting the Original CE but the price just kept climling over the years. Pretty bummed as I wanted the lil zergling pet.

They should make them at least be able to be caged. And also have a chance to appear on BMAH. Just for a few more slight chances at them.

Besides, I know many ppl who obtained these CE pets before Battle.net came out simply by switching toon on and off other ppl's accounts. Wish Blizz would just allow that us to do that. :(

Mowse
Pet Score:2572
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Mowse » March 4th, 2013, 2:35 pm

I wish I had a chance at getting the vampiric batling QQ. Of course I decided to take some time off after Sunwell and the start of Wrath, even though I bought the Wrath CE. If I'd known there'd be a pet to collect, I would have played :(