1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Brettski89
Top Rater
Pet Score:10787
Realm:Gilneas-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Brettski89 » February 12th, 2013, 2:36 am

Spectral Tiger Cub is an amazing beast(attack) pet, its classified as magic, so you still get the benefit of not being able to take more than 40% of the your health in one turn (great for big hitters) but with abilities such as leap you will pretty much always hit first and using evanescence is great for avoiding attacks that will poison or stun you or are just plain annoying such as dig!
This pet appears in pretty much all my battles for the pure speed and dodge abilities!

Velgana
Top Rater
Pet Score:10666
Realm:Skywall-us

Post by Velgana » February 12th, 2013, 2:56 am

Usually if I'm having trouble with a Battlemaster or a pet battle in general, I always go to my Anodized Robo Cub. I Pop his Supercharge then Demolish; if it hits, it's usually a one shot!

Ammeg
Top Rater
Pet Score:6011
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Ammeg » February 12th, 2013, 4:09 am

Festering Maggot

The first of my pets to get to level 25, this little guy is awesome!

My combination with him is Consume and Leap, each time you use Leap you get your speed up and then most of the time you get a "free" ability, then I use Consume and get his health back up. This little guy has won me many battles.

Fenrischick
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Fenrischick » February 12th, 2013, 4:15 am

For those who are after the Viscidus Globule and having trouble freezing Viscidus.
Warsmith Sigfinna -Arms& Armor Merchant - found at 47.4, 70.4 at Brunnhildar Village in Storm Peaks, sells white quaility, non-bop weapons that have a frost damage ability. The Brunnhildar Bow, Brunnhildar Great Axe and the Brunnhildar Harpoon. These can all be purchased for between 12-20g each from the vendor. If you have not unlocked the dailies advertise in trade to buy one, or better yet do the dailies. They are actually quite fun and you have a chance to get the Reins of the White Polar Bear as a reward in the Hyldnir Spoils.

As a hunter I use my own bow until I get Viscidus down to 1% health , then swap to the Brunnhildar Bow until he freezes solid- though 4-6 additional frost damage doesn't sound like much, he freezes solid very quickly. I then swap back to my good bow and down him very easily. It does allow me to switch back and forth even though in combat.
As long as you can equip one of the three weapons long enough to freeze him, you should be fine. If not keep them handy for whomever tags along . Hope this helps. :D

Scuba279
Pet Score:3279
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Scuba279 » February 12th, 2013, 5:11 am

gilnean raven
Although it may be tempting to use the ability nevermore on your opponents strongest ability, using it on their ability that has no cooldown will most likely lead to them having 1, 2, or even 3 rounds of no abilities to use depending on the pet. To take it even further, save your raven as your final pet in a battle... if your opponent does not have a pet to swap they will be left utterly useless for several rounds 8-)

Sindoval
Pet Score:7251
Realm:Alexstrasza-eu

Post by Sindoval » February 12th, 2013, 5:32 am

Any Strider/Skimmer like Aqua Strider, Dancing Water Skimmer, Eternal Strider or Mirror Strider is great against Elementals like the Farmer Nishi Elementals or the Major Payne Flower elemental. The double use of Pump and sometimes Water Jet kills any Elemental fast. Heal in between with Healing Wave

The Oily Slimeling works great against the 3 Pets of the Pandaren Flowing Spirit. Apply the Dots Corrosion and Acidic Goo and finish with Absorb which also heals your pet.

Fabsm
Pet Score:1977
Realm:Nemesis-eu

Post by Fabsm » February 12th, 2013, 6:22 am

Silkbead Snail or any other snail.

This amazing pet rocks against most non-flying opponents.

Shell Shield early to avoid little Dots like Swarm, Acidic Goo, Immolate.

Then Dive: if you can do that just before your opponent strongest ability.

From now on, Absorb until Shell Shield is about to fade with one turn left, then rinse and repeat...

You will be amazed at how strong is this simple rotation; and the pet is rather easy to find too.

P.S.: Sorry for my English, not native.

Enzomatrix
Pet Score:3002
Realm:Zul'jin-eu

Post by Enzomatrix » February 12th, 2013, 6:38 am

[pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet] - My tip to almost always win with this pet against npc trainers is to use Elementium Bolt WISELY. Sure you'll do a lot of damage with that ability, but it also forces the oponent to switch pets, giving you an extra damaging turn if the pet taking the Elementium Bolt survives the hit. And as the pet receiving the hit should be low on health, that should trigger the dragonkin bonus too!

Also, if you use Elementium Bolt on a pet with very low health (280 max) and then kill it the next round, luckily with Roll, the next pet will receive the damage the first turn and become stunned, not killed, so the opponent will have to switch, and that means another free Tail Sweep for you!

Best battle pet ever!

Penteghost
Pet Score:3893
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Post by Penteghost » February 12th, 2013, 7:14 am

[pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet] - This tiny Aspect of Death is just as destructive on the pet battlefield as his much larger, less adorable counterpart was on the entirety of Azeroth. He is a miniature powerhouse of twisted metal and charred scales, so put him on the attack and never let up.

Use Roll whenever it is needed for that damage boost (make sure you anticipate when it is going to drop off so you don't go a turn without it) and use Tail Sweep over Shadowflame as, overall, it puts out more damage - Li'l D isn't exactly the swiftest lizard and will likely be last, but if he happens to be swifter than his opponent then the sacrifice is only a small loss of damage; it's worth it, trust me.
Finally, follow up everything with a nice, fiery Cataclysm to devastate your opponent. Yes, it does have a high chance of missing but, in my experience, it hits more often than not and will utterly obliterate pretty much anything - especially with the damage boost from Roll. Plus, it only has a 1 round cooldown. If it doesn't outright kill an opponent, it will take off a decent chunk of damage unless, of course, the opponent is Undead.
A particularly devious use of Cataclysm is to make sure that Li'l D has his damage boosted from Roll, then order him to kill the opponent's frontline pet, which will trigger the Dragonkin's passive ability; dealing 50% extra damage on the next turn after bringing an opponent's HP below 25%. Both of those damage boosters combined will then make Cataclysm extra deadly to the next pet brought out. The ability also works as a nice finisher to knock off that last chunk of health from an opponent that just refuses to die.

You can also pair up Li'l D with the Gilnean Raven. They have a beautiful friendship - D with his Elementium Bolt (cast that first), then Call Darkness. Switch him out, and bring on the dark omen. Call Darkness makes every pet on the field Blind, which means the raven's high-damage attack Nocturnal Strike will always hit. Start with that and set up Darkflame or just swoop at them with Alpha Strike (considering the raven's high speed, it is likely to hit first the majority of the time, dealing extra damage) until Nocturnal Strike is off cooldown or Li'l D's bolt flies back into the picture to land the final soul-destroying blow.

Then sit back, steeple your fingers and allow yourself a villainous grin.
You have a miniature Deathwing at your disposal.
You control death itself.

Kelvingomes
Realm:Nemesis-us

Post by Kelvingomes » February 12th, 2013, 8:23 am

Anubisath Idol
It's one of the best options for leveling other pets in group and against other players. It has a great amount of life at lvl 25 and you can improve its survivability keeping Sandstorm on (despite it does a great damage as well), and with the ability Reflection used at the right time, you'll avoid and use against enemy's pet some abilities such as Lift-Off, Burrow and Frost Tomb.
And, with its natural ability to regenerate 4% of life each turn it damages an enemy, this pet will certainly be a headache to your enemy whenever you use it.

Tlachtga
Pet Score:8630
Realm:Darkspear-eu

Post by Tlachtga » February 12th, 2013, 9:27 am

Amethyst Spiderling

Quite a couple of people have posted on leveling pets in Vale of Eternal Blossoms, I find on our server that part is usually overflowing with pet levelers, so I have found a nice alternative. In Valley of four winds. If you engage the pets there you are likely to get a 3 critter battle, I use my Amethyst Spiderling with his Brittle Webbing and Spiderling Swarm combo to solo all three wich makes it possible to bring in one or even two low level pets for stacks of xp.

MakoYokino
Pet Score:2269
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by MakoYokino » February 12th, 2013, 9:28 am

Having a time leveling your darling little Critter types, like that adorable Lucky Quilen Cub or the somehow precocious Fire Beetle? Then, my friend, do I have a suggestion for you!

Karazhan! Yes, Karazhan! Come at the right time and there will be Restless Shadelings galore, and ripe for the picking! Having the Critters in question around level 15 will help!

But what about those Dragonkin? Well, there's usually a good supply of Arcane Eyes just above ground thanks to that cooky Medivh and those nutty Violet Eye mages! So come on down! And if you're really lucky, you could win a Magic or Undead battle stone!

Skydreamsong
Pet Score:2411
Realm:Zirkel des Cenarius-eu

Post by Skydreamsong » February 12th, 2013, 9:38 am

Pandaren Earth Spirit
After you complete the Pandaren Spirit Tamer Quests and choosed your pet, you will unlock the Pandaren Spirit Tamer dailies. Defeating the Thundering Pandaren Spirit will reward "Pandaren Spirit Pet Supplies", which has a chance to drop the Pandaren Earth Spirit pet.

How to defeat the Thundering Pandaren Spirit:

Pandaren Earth Spirit
He usually begins with his Elemental Spirit:
Start with your Silkbead Snail or Shimmershell Snail
1: Acidic Goo
2: Dive
3: Absorb

Sludgy
Clockwork Gnome
1: Build Turret
2: Metal Fist
3: Repair (if needed)

Darnak the Tunneler
Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling or Gryphon Hatchling
1: Peck
2: Lift-Off
3: Peck

hope this helps :)

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » February 12th, 2013, 10:42 am

Gilded Moth

When farming for a rare Gilded Moth (which come in sets of 3 that are always the same quality, with the same friends/quality combo), you can mark one with a raid symbol. Then pet battle the other two. This ensures that the respawns will be battle pets and not just critters. They will be new quality, with new friends. So you can battle the two unmarked ones again, leaving the raid marked one up. Then repeat until you get your rare. Also note, when you get your rare the remaining unmarked one will also be rare, so you have one to offer a friend :) This also works with others that come in sets of three like the Horned Lizards in Uldum.

Happy Hunting all!!

Gip
Pet Score:8095
BattleTag®:Gip#1774
Realm:Deathwing-us

Post by Gip » February 12th, 2013, 11:31 am

[pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet]

When fighting Farmer Nishi's Siren, use a pet that has a weather effect. I'll typically use [pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet] for his Call Darkness. Siren (a Singing Sunflower-like pet) will always use Sunlight as it's first attack, followed by spamming Photosynthesis. Call Darkness or any other weather ability will remove the increased healing from Sunlight and make it much faster to kill Siren.

Icehole
Top Rater
Pet Score:4581
Realm:Magtheridon-us

Post by Icehole » February 12th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Emerald Proto-Whelp

Had a fun time trying to get this little girl the heal that she has is crazy good Emerald Dream. After getting one find it very easy to solo most battles with this little green girl by using Emerald Presence & Emerald Dream.

Zman
Pet Score:4341
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Zman » February 12th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Terrible Turnip

The Terrible Turnip is awesome for leveling pets via Grand Master pet dailies in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms. Set up your Terrible Turnip with Tidal Wave,Inspiring Song, and Sunlight . Use Sunlight and Inspiring Song to give your other 2 pets the health bonus and a level 1 pet can take a round from the Level 19's. Once you swap the other pets in and out finish off with Terrible Turnip and presto instant level 6 :D

Calicea
Pet Score:1488
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Calicea » February 12th, 2013, 12:59 pm

My tip is for low level [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet] users. Especially those just coming to love the pet battle system and are just starting out. Raggy may seem a little weak in earlier levels compared to other pets, but if you start off with him and cast Magma Trap then switch to a stronger pet. For me I used Fossilized Hatchling whose low level heal Ancient Blessing made him a strong contender. Few opponents are able to plan for a truly random and hard hitting stuff and will often save your own hide. Good luck and happy hunting.

Missenvy0703
Pet Score:1169
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Missenvy0703 » February 12th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Gryphon Hatchling This pet is difficult to find because there are only about 2 to 3 hatchlings (non capturable) at the flight master area in Thundermar in Twilight Highlands. To spawn a capturable hatchling, try flying out in the surrounding area and battle/kill any other battle pets, i.e. turkey, skunk, squirrels. Make sure to be thorough and then come back to flight master. You will then notice 1 or 2 of the hatchlings are now capturable! Good luck and happy hunting! :)

Nayune

Post by Nayune » February 12th, 2013, 1:56 pm

[pet]Lil' Tarecgosa[/pet]
One of the Best Pet's you can take compared to any kind of flight Pet's.

Cause:
-Does more damage against flight Pet's
-Takes less damage from air attacks
-Dragonkin damage buff (50% more dmg)

Strategy:
Kill the first Pet with Arcaneblast, as fast as you can. Cause Lil 'Tarecgosa is a Dragonkin you deal 50% more damage, when the Pets life falls below 25% so kill it with Arcaneblast. With the 50% damage buff, use Surge of Power and nuke massiv damage to the second Pet. So you can kill the most time, 2 Pets very quickly with one Pet. :D