1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Shadofall
Pet Score:3157
Realm:Terokkar-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Shadofall » February 8th, 2013, 7:19 am

Fluxfire feline or any rare or hard to find pet for that matter. make sure you have a team of pets at an appropriately low level. nothing is worse then spending time trying to find that hard to find rare of a rare only to accidently kill it with a crit! Your salty tears only causes Minfernal to mock you

TML
Pet Score:6805
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by TML » February 8th, 2013, 7:41 am

Mini Mindslayer combined with Nexus Whelpling
Nexus Whelpling starts with Arcane Storm
Switch to Mini Mindslayer, use Inner Vision followed by Mana Surge and most like deal a lot of damage - maybe even kill the emeny pet...
If your Mini Mindslayer is low on health when it has killed the first pet, start with Life Exchange for a combined heal and damage..
Bonus Nexus Whelpling also have Mana Surge...
You can use any pet as the third....

Fulcan
MVP
Pet Score:3496
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Fulcan » February 8th, 2013, 7:42 am

I use [pet]Lil' Deathwing[/pet] as my opener in heavy hitting battles. Call Darkness combined with Elementium Bolt make for a very heavy hitting opening salvo. His lack of healing doesn't make him a good tank, but he almost always takes out the toughest of foes.

Falerin
Top Rater
Pet Score:9473
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Falerin » February 8th, 2013, 7:43 am

Slime pets (Disgusting Oozeling, Toxic Wasteling, Jade Oozeling, Oily Slimeling) gain dual benefit from moonlight weather - it will slightly boost the damage of their magic abilities, as well as increase their health gained Absorb. Combined with their 2 debuffs (Corrosion and Acidic Goo), they will be very difficult to take down with the healing bonus granted by moonlight, and with multiple different attack types, there is no typing that can fully protect against the ooze onslaught!

Cymre
MVP
Pet Score:13607
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Cymre » February 8th, 2013, 7:47 am

As another one still farming the Darkmoon Eye, I've been trying out different combinations each month which includes a levelling pet each day. This month, I decided to use the Terrible Turnip as my opening pet which is extremely effective against the tonk. In fact, I can use Sunlight as the opener and Leech Seed whenever it's up with Tidal wave as the filler. This is great for taking most of the health off the other two pets as well which makes this a great strategy for levelling that lower pet.
Blogger, YouTuber and Pet Tamer

Kahlan
Pet Score:7594
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Kahlan » February 8th, 2013, 7:48 am

I am not sure whether this pet has been mentioned before, but I love my Onyxian Whelpling.
She's (one of) the first pet(s) I levelled and since I'm either lazy or just can't remember counters, she's nearly always in my level 25 team.

Even though she's rather slow, she can do decent damage and has good survival.
I find her particularly effective against Farmer Nishi.

Use Tail Sweep , Healing Flame and Lift-Off .

All 3 opponents are faster than you, which you can use to your advantage once you know their timing.

The sunflower enemy Sirenwill use Sunlight , Solar Beam and Photosynthesis . This fight can be a drag, so you might want to use another pet with a punch first, but I hate switching if I can avoid it and this post is to show case her solo power :)

The turnip Toothbreakerwill start underground with the little blasting turnip Sons of the Root and follow that up with his Leech Seed.
You can use your heal first to patch up after the sunflower if necessary, after 2 sets of sons blast, use Lift-off and the last blast and his Leech Seed should both miss you if you timed it right. He will then use Inspiring Song and due to all his spells now being on cooldown, you will have several turns to beat him to pulp without him doing anything at all.

The last pet Brood of Mothran will usually start with Acidic Goo. Use your heal for this turn if needed, else your damage. On his second turn he will Burrow , so use your Lift-Off. His other ability is Consume. You can either simply dps him down now, or take him to low health and switch in your levelling pet for the killing blow :)
Last edited by Kahlan on February 8th, 2013, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

DuleRa
Pet Score:3542
Realm:Duskwood-us

Post by DuleRa » February 8th, 2013, 7:55 am

Ethereal Soul-Trader

When confronted by this little guy for the first time be cautious. Do not accept any deals or sign any of his contracts without reading the fine print. (You know the consortium after all). Once befriending him be sure to take advantage of his wares. DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING HE SELLS YOU. Aside from that he is invaluable in combat and if he losses its an easy cleanup. Happy Hunting!

Talents3777
Pet Score:4945
Realm:Khadgar-us

Post by Talents3777 » February 8th, 2013, 8:21 am

The Kun-Lai Runt is, without doubt, a pet KILLER. As the name implies, you can find them in the Kun-Lai Summit in Pandaria. Look in the mountains in the southwest. One would think, by looking at the Kun-Lai Runt that it would be a beast, but it is humanoid! Humanoids are naturally resistant to attacks by critters and this humanoid's default attacks are beast abilities, which dishes out additional attack damage against any unlucky critter it encounters.

I would suggest you begin your encounter with Mangle. It is a Damage Over Time (DOT) ability that causes up to 48 damage at level 25 against one foe for 10 rounds. But if you are encountering a particularly powerful creature, you might skip the DOT and go right for the muscle, the Rampage ability. It acts like a channeled spell only you can't stop the channeling once started. The spell lasts over 3 rounds and delivers up to 406 damage at level 25 each turn plus any critical strike damage, enough to clean out the energy of even the most stout opponents. If your opponent still is not dead after those first rounds, use the Thrash ability which strikes 2-3 times per round at up to 162 damage per strike at level 25 plus any critical strike damage. You only get a third strike if your pet is faster than the opposing pet, which is not likely unless you replace Mangle with the Frost Shock ability reduces your foe's speed by 25% for 4 rounds. With 1465 health and strong defenses against critters, it's extremely unlikely that your critter foe will survive your critter-killing attacks.

There are a couple hidden advantages to this pet, more specifically applicable in pvp where certain abilities such as stunning and weather can play a more significant role and should impact your choices in creating teams. Teamed with a pet like Tundra Penguin with the Slippery Ice ability, which increases the foe's chance to miss by 25% and persists through pet swaps, the Kun-Lai Runt's Deep Freeze ability increases the odds of stunning the foe from 25% to 100%! If you happen to be able to stun your foe, it's Takedown ability will double it's normal damage of 292 at level 25; add a critical strike to that and you have a devastating blow!

Dhaark
Pet Score:12920
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Dhaark » February 8th, 2013, 8:26 am

Wild Golden Hatchling
Try leveling this pet with its other two siblings, the Wild Crimson Hatchling & Wild Jade Hatchling. Start off with either the Golden or Jade Hatchling's Call Lightning, then swap to the other for its Call Lightning. Finally switch to the Crimson and finish off with Deep Breath. Then switch back and rinse-and-repeat. Probably not the greatest strategy unless up against the right type of pets especially since you effectively lose a turn each swap, HOWEVER it is EXTREMELY satisfying to be able to cycle through such powerful attacks.

Also, great place to level these three and others is The Veiled Stair. PLENTY of quick respawns and you have Kama the Beast Tamer to heal your pets.

Note: There are a couple battle pets that spawn an adult and three young battle pets a stone throw from Kama. When these spawn, battle the young pets then wait for them to respawn off the adult. You never even have to leave the immediate area.

Wraith
Pet Score:6002
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Wraith » February 8th, 2013, 8:35 am

A nice buildup strategy is to take your Wild Jade Hatchling, throw out Call Lightning and then swap in [pet]Lil' XT[/pet] or [pet]Landro's Lil' XT[/pet] (same movesets), drop XE-321 Boombot and watch the explosions in a couple of rounds.

Not effective against Elemental types though.
Last edited by Wraith on February 8th, 2013, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khorah
Pet Score:11506
BattleTag®:Khorah#1833
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Khorah » February 8th, 2013, 8:35 am

Gilded Moth
This little moth is quite shy in the Vale. It shares spawn space with all the other battle pets (not locations mind you). So, if you are trying to track one down and can't find any, start battling any of the other pets. Once those pets are down, the next pet could be your gilded moth :D

Saintling
Pet Score:2304
Realm:Farstriders-us

Post by Saintling » February 8th, 2013, 8:44 am

I use Darkmoon Zeppelin to level my other pets fast. But, you should only use this method if you do lots of daily tamer battles and have a heavy sack of pet bandages you don't know what to do with. Everyone knows that you can swap in a low level pet with a high level pet after the first blow. I use the Zeppelin's Decoy to survive alot longer than it normally would against similar level pets. Then when I get the final mob down low enough use the Explode ability. Normally your pet gets tons of xp for shareing with this one other high level grinder but alas the Zeppelin is dead. The lowbie now gets full xp for killing 3 mobs. Then you pet bandage and redo.

Pet Bombling also has the explode ability. It's also easy to get but has nothing to offer in the way of survivability. You may have problems finishing the fight.

Rorush
Pet Score:2657
BattleTag®:rorush#1664
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Rorush » February 8th, 2013, 8:49 am

Cogblade Raptor

The Expose Wounds debuff with Batter is really great against the OP Beasts most tames use

Drut001
Pet Score:3347
Realm:Frostmane-eu

Post by Drut001 » February 8th, 2013, 8:51 am

Celestial Dragon

From level 1 up to level 25, This little guy should be a core member of your team.
The 3 1st tier abilitys Breath, Ancient Blessing and Moonfire are all you will need.
Round 1: Moonfire
Round 2: Breath
Round 3: Ancient Blessing
Round 4: Breath

Repeat until win :P
I would be lost without my little Sparkles.

Prettyfly
Pet Score:882
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Prettyfly » February 8th, 2013, 8:57 am

Dark Whelpling and Brilliant Kaliri
Dark Whelpling and Brilliant Kaliri make a rather good combination in a team, as you can open with DW's [spell=]Call Darkness[/spell] and follow with BK's [spell=]Nocturnal strike[/spell] which will always hit for a great amount of damage if the oponent is blinded.

Redterror117
Pet Score:1635
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Redterror117 » February 8th, 2013, 8:59 am

Cheetah Cub, along with almost any feline in the game, makes for an excellent starting companion when first beginning in the pet collecting game, and even later on it proves to be a rather valuable companion. As most of the creatures you encounter during the pet hunt are critters (depending on your location), it's attacks will always be effective, and allow for quick and easy leveling. It's Devour also allows it to almost fully recover after each combat, reducing the need to pause and wait to heal.

Later on it's attack roster becomes more focused on speed, with its combination of Pounce and Screech, almost always ensuring that it can grab that extra damage. Out of all of the felines I personally prefer the Cheetah Cub, as one of the cutest little lions to stalk you out in the Barrens

Poutinette
MVP
Pet Score:4898
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Poutinette » February 8th, 2013, 9:00 am

Jade Owl :

nothing special about its moves except that the owl is magic while its moves do flying damage. That makes it a very good pet against aquatic ones as flying damage do 50% more to them while aquatic damage do only 66% damage to magic pet. Add to that that magic pet can't take more than 40% of their health in one hit so the pump ability is less fearsome against them.

Tatsuoni
Pet Score:1029
Realm:Goldrinn-us

Post by Tatsuoni » February 8th, 2013, 9:26 am

Pandaren Monk :

When using the Pandaren Monk from level 4, always start the fight with Focus Chi and then use Fury of 1,000 Fists.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » February 8th, 2013, 9:35 am

Spirit of Competition

This pet is perfect for anyone from a beginner to a master tamer. He combines power, healing and avoidance to make a well rounded pet. Since there are very few humanoid wild pets, there are very few that they are strong against.

A tip for facing the Pandarian Air Spirit, with it's defensive strength against flying abilities, with some well-timed choices, this pet can solo this whole battle.

If you have access to this pet, consider making him a stable in your team from the start.