Pet Score vs Total Collected

Share pet collecting news and advice.
GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Re: Pet Score vs Total Collected

Post by GilroyKilroy » February 7th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Ysabell wrote:As a longtime collector with a large number of pets who also took the time to get rares of most of the new ones, I like this system. I do wish different breeds of the same pets weren't considered duplicates, but that's picking nits.
Seconded. The only "dupes" I have are for different breeds.

Cendir
Pet Score:6154
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Cendir » February 8th, 2013, 4:27 am

Being able to sort by various rankings certainly has appeal to someone like me. Because I'm very new to WoW, I will NEVER have those pets that long time players will have. Also, because I refuse to spend cash in the Blizzard store, I will NEVER have those pets that other people are willing to open their pocketbooks (wider) for. However, I'm working on having a full set of rares of every other pet, and I will have it one day :twisted:

How's this for another perspective? Why should you be ranked higher simply for having been introduced to the game sooner, and being willing to shell out cash, over someone who has put more effort into their collection?

It really just depends what metrics you like.

Oceanaia
Top Rater
Pet Score:5376
BattleTag®:Oceanaia#1971
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Oceanaia » February 8th, 2013, 5:38 am

Cendir wrote:How's this for another perspective? Why should you be ranked higher simply for having been introduced to the game sooner, and being willing to shell out cash, over someone who has put more effort into their collection?
I'm sorry, but just because we WERE introduced to the game sooner, and ARE willing to spend some cash on pets, does NOT mean we did not put forth any less effort to our collections than anyone else. Pets are easily cageable now, when before the only way to get certain pets was to buy them (on ebay) or farm.

Take the Crawling Claw for an example, before cageable pets were implemented, this was VERY hard to acquire and on average a person spent months trying to get it (It took me over 3 months of straight farming) as this was the ONLY way to acquire this pet. Now you can acquire this pet through trading/ah with little effort. It goes both ways.

I personally feel that I do put a lot of effort into my collection, regardless of whether I spend real $$ or not.

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » February 8th, 2013, 6:52 am

I suggest bumping up the level score from 4 points to 10

even at 10 the most someone who levels all their pets to 25 can get is 250 points

100 points max is too low considering the effort it takes to level pets

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » February 8th, 2013, 7:46 am

Livingdeath wrote:I like the proposed ranking system, but I will agree with others here who have asked that you could also sort the ranking on total unique pets as well.
We have absolutely no intention of removing the "PETS" sort option from any ranked listings of users. You will still be able to easily view who has the most pets. What's more, any individuals who have the same pet score will use unique pets collected as the tiebreaker.

That said, lists will be automatically sorted by "SCORE" when they first load up -- the score will be shown in its own column, right next to "PETS".

Similarly, we are going to show pet score underneath user comments along with total pets (and we're even going to try to show it here on the forums under your username).

And as many of you have noticed, the pet level portion of your score was designed to be more of a tiebreaker. It essentially gives people at the very top of the site-wide list a way to differentiate themselves and work their way up (albeit slowly). In the end, leveling is hardly required to rank well. Heck, the original scoring mechanism only multiplied average pet level by 2. ;-)

Breanni
Site Admin

Post by Breanni » February 8th, 2013, 7:51 am

Stabya wrote:100 points max is too low considering the effort it takes to level pets
You'd think so. But you're forgetting something...

There are a ton of pets that can be obtained at level 20+. We want to keep the pet leveling score mechanic from allowing people to game the system by capturing only pets above a certain level first just to improve their ranking. We felt a multiplier of 4 was enough to make it slightly competitive without demoralizing the collecting community.

Again, we've been monitoring scores closely and listening to user feedback. We're very pleased with the way the scores are currently working.

Breanni
Site Admin

Post by Breanni » February 8th, 2013, 7:54 am

Ysabell wrote:I do wish different breeds of the same pets weren't considered duplicates, but that's picking nits.
If we could, we probably would. But duplicates have been a royal pain in the butt for us from a programming standpoint.

Seriously, you have no idea.

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:13968
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Mastr » February 8th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Thanks for the clarifications Brianna.
I'm happy to see that both old and new collectors will have avenues for recognition.
Keep up the good work!

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » February 9th, 2013, 6:57 am

Thanks for the explaination

Now i understand the view behind Pet Level in your rankings and how it enhances a collecting score in a subtle way.

I also realized now WoWProgress's ranking are for Pet Battling and Levelling, so those of us who like that aspect, can see how we rate there, and still have a good system here to view a more comprehensive collecting ranking.

Once again, thanks for the hard work and excellent website

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Ysabell » February 9th, 2013, 9:46 am

Cendir wrote: How's this for another perspective? Why should you be ranked higher simply for having been introduced to the game sooner, and being willing to shell out cash, over someone who has put more effort into their collection?
Two points. Firstly, the whole point of buying a CE is to have a couple items that let you show that you have been around longer and were willing to pay a bit more for that privilege.

Second. You don't need those pets to be ranked higher than someone who has them unless they have them on top of having every single other pet you have in equal or better rarity and level in which case they've probably put a lot more time and effort into the game over the years. As someone else noted, there's a lot of pets that are much easier to get now than they used to be.

I have many of the CE and blizzcon pets but not all. I certainly don't think I deserve to be able to get the ones I passed on for whatever reason.

Cendir
Pet Score:6154
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Cendir » February 10th, 2013, 4:21 am

I wrote up a long response to you both, but you know what? You are taking this far too personally, and attributing words to me I never said. So, keep on keeping on.

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Ysabell » February 12th, 2013, 8:13 am

Breanni wrote:
Ysabell wrote:I do wish different breeds of the same pets weren't considered duplicates, but that's picking nits.
If we could, we probably would. But duplicates have been a royal pain in the butt for us from a programming standpoint.

Seriously, you have no idea.
How about different colors?

Just kidding! ;) I've been bummed that the color skin on my Shimmershell Snail in-game didn't match the better one on the armory so I went and farmed another rare H/P in that color and leveled it to 25. Kinda sad, maybe there will be a fight that I'll want two snails on someday since I can't bring myself to release the other.