1,001 Pet Battle Tips

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Shiranui
Realm:Cenarius-us
Re: CONTEST: Pet Tips for Mini Tyrael!

Post by Shiranui » February 7th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Anubisath Idol
* This pet comes from the twin emperors in ahn'qiraj 40 man raid instance, but if you are having a hard time killing them you can sometimes find this pet at lower than 10k price on the auction house.

Since mine isn't as high of a level to use all of its' secondary abilities I usually start with the following: Reflection then Sandstorm, or vice versa, then make sure I include my other pets in the mix to ensure they all get experience, it's worked so far, even against Minfernal & Infinite Whelpling, these abilities have been very useful.

Sicket
Pet Score:1246
Realm:Azralon-us

Post by Sicket » February 7th, 2013, 9:44 pm

The Cogblade Raptor, as one of my favorite pets can be used for dealing massive damage and sometimes for a nice damage/healing combo.

I usually combine him with a pet that can start the fight with Call Lightning (the weather given by this ability will buff mechanical attacks and will make lightning bolts strike anyone who gets hit by an attack/periodic damage) and then I pick the Raptor to use Exposed Wounds on the enemy, it will increase all the damage, giving it's Batter 2-3 hits (if it attacks first, 1-2 if not) with increased damage by the weather plus the damage granted by the debuff (that affects the damage from the lightning bolts too which will strike the same amount of attacks that you landed), easily bursting 1200 damage/round on enemies with no mechanical weakness.

The main weakness on this strategy is to go against elemental pets, so it's good to get pets like Wild Golden Hatchling or Wild Jade Hatchling since they aren't mechanical and can use Call Lightning, giving a plan B on some "Elementary" ocasions.

Well, so here is my tip! Happy pet hunting/battling!

Castor27
Pet Score:5281
BattleTag®:Christophe#1856
Realm:Muradin-us

Post by Castor27 » February 7th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Scourged Whelpling-- having trouble finding this guy? Server resets on low population RP servers are your best bet. However, if you miss a server restart but know the time the server came up, try again the next day at the same time. I have been lucky enough to find several spawns almost exactly 24 hours after a server coming back up. Good Luck!

Emptycagegirl
Top Rater
Pet Score:13211
BattleTag®:Melanie#1337
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Emptycagegirl » February 7th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Earn up to 10 levels on a pet with ease!

Beat Aki the chosen (Final Grand Master Pet Tamer in The Vale of Eternal Blossoms) with only two pets and lead with the pet you wish to level. The pet you are leveling needs to withstand one attack from chirrup who must go first in the battle.

Swap in your Flayer Youngling after the first attack. Chirrup does very little damage to this pet. Use Triple Snap until Chirrup dies. Do not bother with any other abilities. Save Reflection for your next fight which will be Stormlash. Stormlash always leads with a Lightning storm so reflect this back at him for huge damage with your first attack. Continue with triple snap until your Flayer Youngling dies or beats Stormlash.

Swap in your Clockwork Gnome and immediatley Build Turret. You will get a huge boost from Lightning Storm and should be able to take out Stormlash and Whiskers quickly. Be sure to Build Turret whenever it is off cool down. Time your Clockwork Gnome's heal Repair with his rebirth/failsafe (passive ability)!

Happy Leveling!
Deanna from Lightninghoof :D

Jimbodan
Pet Score:8469
BattleTag®:jimbodan#1642
Realm:Moonrunner-us

Post by Jimbodan » February 7th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Emerald Proto-Whelp

Make sure you catch a P/P breed and then combine Emerald Bite with Emerald Presence and Emerald Dream. With this moveset you can almost solo most of the Pandarian trainers. Just make sure to always keep Emerald Presence up and just heal when needed. It's slow, but effective.

Kastriia
Top Rater
Pet Score:11128
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Kastriia » February 7th, 2013, 9:57 pm

armadillo pup - A good place to farm this critters for this achievement if you have some instant AoE's ( such as arcane explosion ) is a cave just across the river when you enter Eastern Plaguelands to the north. The cave is INFESTED with spiders and roaches to AoE down! Just run back and forth and the achievement will come pretty quickly :)

Godspetproject
Top Rater
Pet Score:5309
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Godspetproject » February 7th, 2013, 10:00 pm

My favorite pet on my team right now is the Jade Oozeling He can really take a hit and is nearly impossible to kill by using his Absorb every turn... it doesn't deal much damage but it heals for a ton making you nearly invincible. If you open with Corrosion then you can do a couple rounds of extra damage as well making this a nice and effective combo!

Beware of using Corrosion when trying to capture a pet however! I've accidentally killed a few rares this way. :(

Musicalchemist
Pet Score:7258
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Musicalchemist » February 7th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Restless Shadeling

This pet is a major player when it comes to survivability against non-critter pets. Plagued Blood + Death Coil = Great Heals! Not to mention that one of the perks of Undead pets is getting in that last shot when they return after being killed for one round to do one last bit of damage, and that can make a world of difference. I love to pair this pet with Celestial Dragon and Magical Crawdad for a team that focuses heavily on keeping HP up through healing abilities while chipping away at the enemy team. I've always preferred defense in pet battles over offense because I like to play with a more long term strategy in mind.

Celestial Dragon starts off with Moonfire which turns the weather into moonlight for 9 rounds and increases healing by 25% and magic damage by 10%. I use Moonfire for the fact that it's a magic ability that benefits from Moonlight as well, unlike the level 25 ability Starfall which, while it DOES damage ALL pets, is a dragonkin ability that doesn't get that extra 10% damage added on to it. The extra 25% for healing from the 9 rounds of Moonlight is great for Shadeling after he casts Plagued Blood to plague the enemy pet and be healed for every attack made against the plagued target. After that point, I spam Death Coil which damages the target while healing Shadeling for 50% of the damage which, when coupled with the healing from Plagued Blood and all that being buffed through moonlight, ends up keeping Shadeling nearly topped off as long as both Plagued Blood and Moonlight are kept up. Magical Crawdad is, of course, my tank. I start off every time with Shell Shield to boost defense and spam Snap or Surge (depends mostly on what type of pet I'm going against from the get-go). With moonlight still up, Crawdad's Wish ability becomes one of the most powerful heals in the game, and can be used not only on itself, but any of your other pets that need a BIG heal. Just send Crawdad in, cast Wish, swap with the pet you want healed and on the next turn (assuming your swapped pet doesn't die first) the next pet will be healed for over 50% of it's total HP! Alternately, you can focus MORE on healing by swapping Shell Shield for Renewing Mists to keep moonlight buffed healing up every round.

I can't recommend this heal heavy defensive team enough. I know it's terribly frustrating for my PvP opponents when they can't seem to keep the green bars down and are ultimately wiped out when they can't keep up in a more long-term battle. Survivability is king in this pet battle business.

Roshea
Pet Score:1746
BattleTag®:Roshea#1810
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Roshea » February 7th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Do you still need to win a Darkmoon Eye? Do you have difficulty every day defeating trainer? Then I recommend adding a Cinder Kitten to your battle team! With the moves Immolate and Scorched Earth it can easily sweep away the first pet, and with luck, the second pet will take a fair amount of damage too!

Lettum
Pet Score:2633
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Lettum » February 7th, 2013, 10:09 pm

Ode to Harbinger of Flame

Oh Harbinger, when I traded for you I did not know I would love you so.

When I was looking for a certain something for my team I did not know I would need you so.

When I started to train you, I did not know you would battle so.

When I realized you were taking on whole teams that out leveled you by 2 to 3 levels on your own I saw how wonderful you are.

Taking on all types of foes without a second thought, burning through them all without a care in the world.

Now a part of my main team, you. my little MinorDomo, my Harbinger of Flame, my ace in the hole, my one and only humanoid.

Sansserene
Top Rater
Pet Score:2748
Realm:Cenarius-us

Post by Sansserene » February 7th, 2013, 10:18 pm

For the Little Black Ram and other pets that are obstructed by trees, hills, or other objects, it is still possible to get them.

In your keybind options, bind "Interact With Target" to something - best to use a key you don't normally use.
Type (or use a macro) /tar little black ram (or other pet you are trying to get) and then push your "Interact With Target" keybind.
Move around the area the pet is in and spam your keybind until the battle starts.
I use this method for this situation and for the rare high-demand pets that you need to engage quickly (such as [pet]Wanderer's Festival Hatchling[/pet]). There are very few times it hasn't worked. :)

Zorastria
Pet Score:5381
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Zorastria » February 7th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Anodized Robo Cub - with Bite, Maul and Repair is a powerful and FUN pet to level and battle, especially against critters. It can be caught as a primary, but it's also found with other pets in Winterspring. I'd recommend going to Everlook and work out in a spiral pattern, battling all wild pets you come across.

Zarjana
Top Rater
Pet Score:11608
BattleTag®:Zarjana#1430
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Zarjana » February 7th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Terrible Turnip

Oh no! :( Have you ever tried capturing a pet but ended up killing it by accident? This is an excellent pet to use as part of your pet capture team! :) His ability Weakening Blow keeps you from reducing your opponent's health below 1 hp! Yay!

Shishio_Makoto
Pet Score:8075
Realm:Runetotem-us

Post by Shishio_Makoto » February 7th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Nether Ray Fry

During the course of my travels I was looking for pets that would make leveling easier. I came across the Netherstorm Cousin of the Nether Ray Fry and I found a pet so versatile that it can actually have a move that is super effective against six different types of pets. The Nether Ray Fry is the same as its Netherstorm cousin but it has the advantage of starting at level one and anyone who is Exalted with the Sha'tari Skyguard can buy one from themselves or for a friend. I myself have purchased a number of these excellent pets and given it to guildies who are just getting started Pet Battling. Having this versatile of a pet is extremely useful and he is my go to pet for helping my other pets level in Vale of Eternal Blossoms. Try one out today!

Tigerrose
Pet Score:3830
Realm:Perenolde-us

Post by Tigerrose » February 7th, 2013, 10:26 pm

Fel Flame
I have found the Fel Flame to be a useful companion when battling the Darkmoon Tamer. Scorched Earth followed by Conflagrate + Burn will make quick work of the Tonk. The Eye also takes extra damage from Scorched Earth so depending on which line up you get (which of the tamer pets is up first), if the Tonk is first, you can get some extra damage on the Eye next. I've had fights where my Fel Flame took care of both the Tonk and the Eye before falling to the dang Monkey.
:D

Kinski
Pet Score:2342
Realm:Skullcrusher-eu

Post by Kinski » February 7th, 2013, 10:30 pm

the Emperor Crab, my personal MVP for best all around pet

to be more precise, the (p/p) breed 4/14. H: 1481, P: 357, S: 211.

this little fella comes incredibly handy in my "go-to, level and catch standard pet setup".

first, whats the setup?

1st spot: low level pet.
2nd spot: Emperor Crab with Snap, Healing Wave and Shell Shild
3rd spot: Terrible Turnip with Weakening Blow, Inspiring Song and Sunlight

whats the idea behind this setup?

straight good all around setup to catch, level and you can even do the old world and some other tamers with it.

strategy?

let the little one make one move and then switch to either the Emperor Crab in case you want to kill, or the Terrible Turnip if you want to catch a low level pet and not come in danger of accidentally harming it.

so, why the Emperor Crab?

short answer: good damage (very good against critters), a solid heal (heals ~1/3 of your health) and a very strong defense. fights are fast and no downtime inbetween.

long answer:

Snap hits like a truck with 357 power, especially on critters and the given fact that critters are very common among wild pets, this is a real solid go-to move.

Surge clearly isn't bad, but since you are almost invincible with Healing Wave and Shell Shild, you don't really need to go first at all costs, also you give away a real hard hitter against critters.

Healing Wave: very good heal, heals for around 1/3 of your health, 3 round CD is sufficient. nice synergy with Sunlight.

Renewing Mists is also a solid choice. could be prefered in some situational cases.

Shell Shield: blocks up to 94 damage at level 25, this means you are immune to (almost?) all poisons, dots and those "multi turn trampled by the swarm/herd" abilities.

Whirlpool: hits HARD! but rather situational, so i almost never need it in this setup. Shell Shield simply provides too much utility.

so all in all this pet has all it takes to provide the maximum utility you need. strong attack, good heal, and very strong defense.

just keep in mind, that flyers are your hard counters, but over the last six weeks and countless batlles i only died once to a flyer. and that was only because i forgot about the "instant death below 25%" ability.

the only downside is, since i started this setup, the bandages are stacking in my bags. i simply don't need to use them any more. :)
Last edited by Kinski on February 7th, 2013, 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Volstagg
Pet Score:6261
Realm:Burning Legion-us

Post by Volstagg » February 7th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Wolpertinger

Don't have any strategies for this little guy but he's always reminded me of the Jackelope from when I watched 'America's Funniest People' back in the day. Dave Coulier is the man! "Fast as fast can be, they'll never catch me."

Ixel
Pet Score:1342
Realm:Skywall-us

Post by Ixel » February 7th, 2013, 10:32 pm

Darkmoon Tonk

The Darkmoon Tonk is a powerhouse. Lock-On gives you more flexibility over Ion Cannon because you can use another ability in between applying the Lock-On debuff and the second time for damage. This is especially useful in clutch moments when getting in a Charge (or even a Shock and Awe against slower foes) might change the tide of battle.