Any way to filter for strong abilities vs a specific family?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Dvader911
Pet Score:1901
Realm:Smolderthorn-us
Any way to filter for strong abilities vs a specific family?

Post by Dvader911 » February 5th, 2013, 8:19 am

Where can I go to find out what pets have strong abilities vs other specific pet families?
Right now I'm on the Northrend Pet Tamers quest. I'm stuck on the one in Dragonblight who has 2 Dragon Whelps.
How can I find out which pets I can go tame who would have strong abilities vs Dragonkin.
There are many search engines here at Warcraft Pets, but none that would allow me to filter for "Strong Ability vs [insert pet family here]". There's "Abilities OF [insert pet family here]", but that doesn't help one fight against pets of that family.
Any help is appreciated.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Re: Any way to filter for strong abilities vs a specific fam

Post by Tahsfenz » February 5th, 2013, 8:47 am

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/#families

This may help, but humanoid have strong attacks vs. dragons.

Maliander
Pet Score:3413
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Maliander » February 5th, 2013, 9:14 am

I assume you mean the fight against tamer [link eaten by forum], who actually uses 2 undead ([link eaten by forum], [link eaten by forum])and 1 dragonkin ([link eaten by forum]). To look for attacks that are super effective against those pets, you'll need attacks of the Critter family (against undead) or humanoid family (against dragonkin).
The "Abilities OF [insert pet family here]" actually allows you to find those abilities (the ability family does not need to be the same as the family of the pet using that ability). You'd then need to click on all the abilities, find which pets use them and see if you can capture those. More convenient is to use the Pet Battle Arena: [link eaten by forum] and use the advanced search options, selecting for example "strong against Dragonkin", "caught in the world" and "level 14-25". Note this results in all pets that have a single ability in that family, for example rabbits with [link eaten by forum] will show up while that attack doesn't even do damage.

Besides looking at dealing high damage to the opponent pets (by picking correct ability families), you can also try to look for pets in families that take reduced damage from the tamers pets and want to avoid pets that take increased damage from their attacks. In this case the tamers' pets deal undead, dragonkin and elemental damage, so look for an aquatic, undead or critter pet and avoid humanoid, magic or mechanical pets (or swap them out when they are against a strong opponent).

Critters with critter attacks are easy to find (many even have [link eaten by forum] to help against the dragonkin, albeit with a cooldown). Aquatics with critter attacks are easy to find in frogs or turtles. Humanoid attacks are rather rare or on cooldown. Flayer Youngling or Sporeling Sprout come to mind to help fight against the dragonkin (since he's not the one with undead damage).

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Ysabell » February 5th, 2013, 9:45 am

TLDR- Frogs and turtles are your best bet on that boss.

The reference you are looking for is here:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2414