Raiding with Leashes

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Drubnek
Pet Score:1946
Realm:Icecrown-us
Raiding with Leashes

Post by Drubnek » January 23rd, 2013, 12:33 pm

OK so just now trying to get started. I have run AQ40 the last two weeks and zero pets have dropped. Is this the norm and they are just rare drops? I can only do it once a week so just want to make sure I am doing it right.

Thanks,

Drub

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Re: Raiding with Leashes

Post by Ysabell » January 23rd, 2013, 1:28 pm

This is normal. The drop rates are high, but low enough that you may go weeks with no drops with bad luck on RNG. After a couple months I was still missing the drop from Magmadar in MC but found one on the AH for 500g. That was gold well spent.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » January 23rd, 2013, 4:03 pm

I have been trying for about 6 weeks still need 2 of them. First week I got 4 of then so I figured it would be easy. :shock:

I need Anubisath Idol and Fungal Abomination. I can not solo the Emperor Brothers, crazy heals if they are close together, so I have to drag someone to help me so it's frustrating the idol won't drop.

I even ended up with an extra Mini Mindslayer and Harbinger of Flame. In the interest of saving time (I am not a farmer for trade or profit) I avoid any battles I can for the most part. Harbinger I got a second time because I couldn't remember if I got it or not and since I was going near there I killed it again. Mindslayer has to be killed to get to anywhere else in the dungeon so it wouldn't surprise me if I got another before Idol drops.

Bottom line: While not ultra rare, it may take a while to get them. (Pure Guess: approximately 10% drop rate) :P

Morlis
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Drubnek

Post by Drubnek » January 23rd, 2013, 5:53 pm

I will try MC tonight I guess. I was just suprised that zero dropped in two weeks of AQ. :(

Luckyrabbit1982
Pet Score:7463
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Luckyrabbit1982 » January 23rd, 2013, 11:18 pm

I would suggest farming all each week. The pets sell well and if you are missing a few, you could possibly trade for it. I had a few extras and helped a friend out by trading for one he needed. Even though I have had the ach for a few weeks at least, I still farm the pets and sell them. Makes me about 10-15k per wk at least and the time commitment is relatively minor.

Draconigena
Top Rater
Pet Score:9001
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Post by Draconigena » January 24th, 2013, 8:06 am

Ysabell wrote:This is normal. The drop rates are high, but low enough that you may go weeks with no drops with bad luck on RNG. After a couple months I was still missing the drop from Magmadar in MC but found one on the AH for 500g. That was gold well spent.
The anubisath idol is quite a pain to get, if you ask me.
Most pets dropped once or more during the first 4 runs I have made, but the death talon whelpguard only dropped yesterday, and the idol still has to drop.
the idol is also quite expensive on the AH, which makes me believe that it is a combination of being hard to solo AND hving a bad droprate.
But I can be very wrong as well, who can tell.
The droprate numbers on wowhead are very skewed because until patch 5.1 the pets weren't there, and the previous kills are obviously counted in the totals.

Drubnek

Post by Drubnek » January 24th, 2013, 10:01 am

Yeah ran MC and BWL last night...got 1 in each. The whelpguard in BWL and then the snake one in MC..I forget the name. Will continue to do it and see if I can get them all. Might try Naxx tonight.

Khema
Pet Score:2732
Realm:Blackwater Raiders-us

Post by Khema » January 24th, 2013, 10:11 am

just to make sure.. (i know sometimes i forget which is which) you are going in aq 40 and not the other side?

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » January 24th, 2013, 10:25 am

For me it was BWL. I got all of MC done in two runs, Naxx in 2 runs, AQ40 took a few weeks to get them all but BWL took much longer.

Drubnek

Post by Drubnek » January 24th, 2013, 11:26 am

Yep did the AQ40. 0 fer at that place...from 2 weeks of doing it. 1-3 in MC and 1-3 in BWL. :) Will keep on trucking I guess.

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Ysabell » January 24th, 2013, 11:27 am

The drop rates are probably closer to 20-30%. When I was killing all 12 bosses every week I typically got 3-4 pets. It's still statistically low enough that when you only need one or two more it could take awhile.

Notamonk
Pet Score:833
Realm:Firetree-us

Post by Notamonk » January 25th, 2013, 11:26 am

I feel your pain op. I've been running bwl for weeks now and not a single drop, but when I ran MC I got everything on the first go. Sometimes I think these pets are just a myth. lol

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » January 25th, 2013, 1:50 pm

My pet collecting in Molten Core amused me so I'll share.

It was a big deal getting attuned and going in there the first time on my lvl 90 enhancement shamman. I never raided in there during vanilla but I had heard stories so it was with awe and apprehension that I took my toon in there. Everything was big and scary and I made sure not to pull too much, but in less than an hour I had cleared every boss and got the achievement for completion.

But no pet dropped. :(

I was disappointed in the lack of pets and wondered if I could maybe start farming it on multiple toons since once a week might not yield the results I wanted, so since my lvl 85 rogue wasn't doing anything at the moment, I went and got him attuned and took him into the raid instance. I killed the three bosses that dropped pets, every single one dropped a pet and I was done.
*brushes hands*

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » January 25th, 2013, 9:36 pm

Bonhomous wrote:Everything was big and scary...
The Core Hounds used to be much bigger.

Beana
Top Rater
Pet Score:13311
BattleTag®:Beana#1484
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Beana » January 25th, 2013, 11:16 pm

How does one solo the first boss in BWL? Can you mind control the guy and kill eggs or did they make it so we could solo it now?

Drrum
MVP
Pet Score:4507
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Drrum » January 25th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Yes he is soloable. The trick is to use a HoT, armor, etc. As an arms warrior, I'm able to solo Razor by using a defensive stance and just basically ignore adds and kill eggs as fast as you can. When the MC channel ends, just blow a couple AoEs then get right back on the MC and get back to killing eggs as fast as possible. Granted, I wear plate, so it makes surviving easier. But I think most classes can probably solo.

Azillero
Pet Score:3211
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by Azillero » January 27th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Just as an FYI:

If you're just after the achievement, just have a friend with the raid pet cage it, trade it to you, learn it, re-cage it, then trade it back. You'll get credit towards the achievement.

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » January 28th, 2013, 4:10 am

For those looking to solo the first BWL boss, here are a few pointers (for what they're worth).

Very important - if you're a hunter or a warlock, you will have to dismiss your pet. Otherwise, you will click the control orb repeatedly, wreck your mouse and tear out your hair wondering why the damned thing won't work !!!!!

Having done this, you want to try this on a char that has good fast aoe attacks. Mage is good, priest as well - doesn't have to be a plate wearer. Once you kill (or dot up) the 3 mobs by the orb, click it and take control of the boss. I prefer to start at the orb platform and work my way up one side of the room, pressing '4' to destroy the eggs. You can ignore all other abilities. When you get to the other end of the room, dismiss (right-click the controlled boss image) the boss, aoe like mad to kill the (by now several dozen) mobs and re-click the orb. If you have a healer class, a quick hot will also help you. Repeat the procedure for the other side of the room. Usually, all eggs will be destroyed by the end of this second run.

If the boss gets killed before all eggs are destroyed, it will be an instant wipe. Healer classes have a slight advantage here, as they can cast instant hots/heals that will heal the boss before the spell breaks control. This isn't usually necessary, but who knows ...

Once all eggs are destroyed, the mobs will run away and it will just be you and the boss. Warlocks and hunters can now re-summon their pets. The boss will go down quickly.

I've used this tactic on mage, warlock, warrior and priest - it works.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Draconigena
Top Rater
Pet Score:9001
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Post by Draconigena » January 28th, 2013, 10:01 am

Being a rogue I found soloing Razorgore pretty painful. The problem was not getting killed myself, but keeping Razorgore from getting killed. it always went fine until about halfway through, the point at which there were so many adds battering at the boss, his health went plummeting down.
So right now I do it together with a friend. She has got every pet already so anything that drops that I don't have yet, I can take. The rest is easily rolled for (the pets bring in a decent amount of cash) or caged and sent to other friends (My GF has got 7 pets of which she only grinded 3 herself).
We just run around the 3 major instances (we both solo MC for increased drop rate), mostly starting with BWL, taking portal to Uldum for AQ (viscidus is a PITA as a rogue, but my friend is a mage with frost), and then take the dalaran ring and fly to Naxx.

Knotrandall
Pet Score:4912
Realm:Maelstrom-us

Post by Knotrandall » January 28th, 2013, 7:03 pm

I finally finished up the last missing pet for this a couple days ago. I was only waiting on the giant bone spider for over a month, I had gotten the rest of them relatively quick.

The real pain in the ass for me right now is the pandaren water spirit. I've done that every single day for over a month and a half and still not gotten that one yet. I have 3 each of the other 3 spirits though :roll: