Good pet-catching skills

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jumi
Pet Score:2302
Realm:Zul'jin-us
Good pet-catching skills

Post by Jumi » January 22nd, 2013, 10:28 am

I'm looking for skills that will help me catch other pets. Particularly like the ability "False Swipe" in Pok- uh, that other monster-collecting game. That ability allows you to hit any creature, and that creature will be reduced to 1 HP rather than knocked out if you significantly outlevel it. I'd heard there was a similar pet ability in this game, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called or what creatures had it. Any help? Thanks.

Suspiro
Top Rater
Pet Score:4140
BattleTag®:Loni#1589
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Re: Good pet-catching skills

Post by Suspiro » January 22nd, 2013, 10:43 am

Jumi wrote:I'm looking for skills that will help me catch other pets. Particularly like the ability "False Swipe" in Pok- uh, that other monster-collecting game. That ability allows you to hit any creature, and that creature will be reduced to 1 HP rather than knocked out if you significantly outlevel it. I'd heard there was a similar pet ability in this game, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called or what creatures had it. Any help? Thanks.
Terrible Turnip with Weakening Blow

Jumi

Post by Jumi » January 22nd, 2013, 10:47 am

:D Thank you! Not in Panderia yet but hopefully I can find one in the AH. I seem to remember some being sold eariler...

Cinnamara
Pet Score:10546
Realm:Shadow Council-us

Post by Cinnamara » January 22nd, 2013, 11:46 am

I quest for rares and level up lowbies at the same time. Why waste time on just doing battle masters to level, when you can power level up low levels and maybe catch a rare at the same time.

Slot #1: Pet for leveling (just has to survive one round, self healing is best as a battle round option).
Slot #2: Lil' XT. Powerhouse Extraordinaire! Self Heals, kills with Bomb-bot. Power hits critters and beasts.
Slot #3: Terrible Turnip - Weakening Blow, Sunshine, Sings! Who could ask for anything more!

Battle strategy: Round one, leveling pet does something and hope it survives.
Rounds two & three, switch to Turnip, Sings if Pet one was poisoned, otherwise brings out the Sunshine, switch to Lil' XT.
Rounds four & five, Put out Bomb-bot, Self Repair (with Sunshine his health is 2300 - sort of like having two pets for one!)
If a Rare, switch back to Turnip when needed to Weaken Blow and Capture.

Handy Tips: If the leveling pet is very low level, don't go after spiders (they love to web).
If farming turtles and frogs, use Harpy Youngling in place of Lil' XT.
Critters and Beasts are the most plentiful wild pets. Switch Lil' XT's first ability between high beast damage to high critter damage. This helps speed things up. But not really required as his main lightning hit is still pretty strong against anything.

Final note: Both Lil' XT and Terrible Turnip are level 25. So all experience goes to the first pet.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » January 22nd, 2013, 1:04 pm

The main thing to remember when you are catching pets (even with Terrible Turnip): make sure NONE of your pets in subsequent battles in that set use any abilities that either:

1) do DOT
2) impact "back row" pets

You dont want to run the risk of killing your carefully crated rare pet! :)

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » January 22nd, 2013, 2:01 pm

Breehit wrote:The main thing to remember when you are catching pets (even with Terrible Turnip): make sure NONE of your pets in subsequent battles in that set use any abilities that either:

1) do DOT
2) impact "back row" pets

You dont want to run the risk of killing your carefully crated rare pet! :)

I'd like clarification on this:
I'm pretty sure that I have done AEO damage that has "killed" the pet in my crate, but once it's in my crate I'm pretty sure I haven't lost it. Even if it dies in the crate I still capture it. Has this changed? Was it never the case?

I know I've been pretty freaked that a poison on a pet I want to capture is going to kill it before the stupid crate lands.

Jin
Pet Score:5378
Realm:Eonar-eu

Post by Jin » January 22nd, 2013, 2:40 pm

It doesn't matter if you accidently kill a pet you want to capture once it is in the crate, you will still get it. :D

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Ysabell » January 23rd, 2013, 11:05 am

You'll also want to be mindful of trying to catch pets with abilities that damage themselves along with you like the Wild Crimson Hatchling who will generally die before you cage them if you get them too low. In these cases, I like to use my snail since their shield keeps them safe if it takes a few rounds to cage and their healing attack does consistently low damage.

Notamonk
Pet Score:833
Realm:Firetree-us

Post by Notamonk » January 23rd, 2013, 12:54 pm

Don't use abilities with dots and use a pet with a heal and a damage reduction. Preferably a snail or terrible turnip like others mentioned for its weakening blows attack.

Best of luck.

Breehit

Post by Breehit » January 23rd, 2013, 4:49 pm

Interesting..I could swear that when the crated pet died, I didn't get it. Consequently, I never let them die, lol. But if what you folks say is true, I will not need to be so careful in the future. Thanks for the correction! :)

Cinnamara
Pet Score:10546
Realm:Shadow Council-us

Post by Cinnamara » January 23rd, 2013, 10:19 pm

I can attest to the suicidal tendencies of the Crimson Geode. I spent hours battleing every Crimson Geode I could find, and when I finally find a Rare, stupid thing killed itself rather then be captured and loved and cared for.

A guildmate told me the next time I go out for a Crimson Geode to take a Turkey. They can put the geode to sleep for two rounds to help with capturing. Who would'a thunk that geodes like turkey?? Go go go Triptophan!!

Breehit

Post by Breehit » January 24th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Cinnamara wrote:I spent hours battleing every Crimson Geode I could find, and when I finally find a Rare, stupid thing killed itself rather then be captured and loved and cared for.
I like your thinking! I also feel as if I "love and care for" my pets, lol. Sometimes I even find myself thanking them when they do a particularly good job. :lol:

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » January 24th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Cinnamara wrote:A guildmate told me the next time I go out for a Crimson Geode to take a Turkey. They can put the geode to sleep for two rounds to help with capturing. Who would'a thunk that geodes like turkey?? Go go go Triptophan!!
That is a great idea, I had the same problem with the Crimson Hatchling, finally found a rare and it ended up killing itself. Is the turkey the only pet that has a 2 round sleep/stun/etc? Anyone know if there is another pet with the same 2 rounder or even a longer one?
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Jumi

Post by Jumi » January 25th, 2013, 7:52 am

So I go into the AH and check "Battle Pets" and Terrible Turnip is stupid high. I check "Companion Pets" and it's cheaper, about 175g. I go to buy and click on its picture, and it says I have 1/3. I check my pets tab and sure enough, there it is. I must've bought it earlier when it was cheap without realizing it. Well, I'm certainly pleasantly surprised!

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » January 25th, 2013, 9:30 am

Dragonwizard wrote:
Cinnamara wrote:A guildmate told me the next time I go out for a Crimson Geode to take a Turkey. They can put the geode to sleep for two rounds to help with capturing. Who would'a thunk that geodes like turkey?? Go go go Triptophan!!
That is a great idea, I had the same problem with the Crimson Hatchling, finally found a rare and it ended up killing itself. Is the turkey the only pet that has a 2 round sleep/stun/etc? Anyone know if there is another pet with the same 2 rounder or even a longer one?
The water strider and lambs and ram pets have soothe, like the trainer in dread wastes, or Townlong, I forget which. It will sleep a front pet for 2 rounds, but takes a round to take effect, and breaks if the pet takes damage, so no DoT's and hope it doesn't stone rush you so it takes damage, which will break the soothe as well. any stone rush pet is a huge pain to rare hunt, since the only way to keep it alive is to avoid its damage, since I think it wont take damage that way. So, block and dodge moves, maybe Terrible Turnip's son of the root, and Lil' Ragnaros' son of the flame, since they do minor damage, and make you unattackable for 3 rounds. Just some ideas, though none are ideal. Maybe even use a pet with a blind, or call darkness, with a miss chance as well?
mykro9#1585

Promdates
Pet Score:2552
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Promdates » February 14th, 2013, 6:01 pm

Jumi wrote:So I go into the AH and check "Battle Pets" and Terrible Turnip is stupid high. I check "Companion Pets" and it's cheaper, about 175g. I go to buy and click on its picture, and it says I have 1/3. I check my pets tab and sure enough, there it is. I must've bought it earlier when it was cheap without realizing it. Well, I'm certainly pleasantly surprised!
You can get it from farming Sunsong Ranch at Halfhil Market. You might have gotten it while doing that and didn't remember/realize it. I did the same thing actually.