Major Payne for Leveling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Iconyx
Pet Score:2660
Realm:Magtheridon-us
Major Payne for Leveling

Post by Iconyx » January 21st, 2013, 6:44 pm

Seems this trainer may be more trouble than he's worth when it comes to giving experience to a lowbie pet. However, for the first time tonight I was able (lots of attempts) to bring his team down with 2 level 25's and a level 1. Wasn't easy. I'm putting the question on the table: what comps can mostly guarantee a victory against this guy when leveling?

Varda
Pet Score:1917
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Re: Major Payne for Leveling

Post by Varda » January 21st, 2013, 7:29 pm

Iconyx wrote:Seems this trainer may be more trouble than he's worth when it comes to giving experience to a lowbie pet. However, for the first time tonight I was able (lots of attempts) to bring his team down with 2 level 25's and a level 1. Wasn't easy. I'm putting the question on the table: what comps can mostly guarantee a victory against this guy when leveling?
I use Raven/Crow (Darkness to reduce healing + Nocturnal Strike) against the bear and to take the worst hit from mech.
Pandaren Water Spirit against the mech and flower.
The leveling pet to finish the flower off.

He surly is a major pain, and usually the only one I still have to use bandages on sometimes. :(
Last edited by Varda on January 21st, 2013, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iconyx
Pet Score:2660
Realm:Magtheridon-us

Post by Iconyx » January 21st, 2013, 8:05 pm

Varda wrote:He surly is a major pain, and usually the only one I still have to use bandages on sometimes. :(
In case you didn't know, there's a Stable Master (http://www.wowhead.com/npc=35290 = Horde, http://www.wowhead.com/npc=35291 = Alliance) right there on the Tournament grounds. Might save you a bandage. Can't confirm whether they're phased or not though.

Good tips for Payne, BTW.

Cabadath
Pet Score:2577
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Cabadath » January 22nd, 2013, 6:15 am

I use this lineup:
1) Start with lowbie pet to get hit once. If you start off against the bear, you can switch out if he stuns you instead of passing the turn.
2) Fluxfire feline: charge up for the 3-round oneshot (3-2-2), which kills the bear. If your lowbie pet soaked 2-3 hits from the bear, or the bear missed your fluxfire, you can do another 3-round oneshot on the mechastrider (2-3-2). As of right now, this bugs out the ressurection racial on the mechastrider, which means he dies without ressurecting. In 5.2 this bug is supposed to be fixed. Be aware that this bug can happen to you too if you have low hp and the mechastrider does a 2xwind up and kill you. If you won't be able to kill the mechastrider with the fluxfire, use pounce to soften him up - or do a 2xwindup without the supercharge. If you manage to kill the mechastrider, soften the last pet up with pounce.
3) Chrominius. Use howl + surge of power. A lot of the times, my fluxfire kills all three of Payne's pets, or his last pet only has like 3-500 hp left. I that case, you could always just use claw with chrominius in case surge of power misses.

This setup has made the fight very easy and reliable, at least to me.

GL!

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » January 22nd, 2013, 10:26 am

I haven't been daring enough to use lowbies on him. I use fluxfire then dark Phoenix once he's dead which takes me into the elemental, which gives me room for RNG.

Khorah
Pet Score:11506
BattleTag®:Khorah#1833
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Khorah » January 22nd, 2013, 10:59 am

I also use the FFF along with a rare Fel Flame.. Depending on the RNG, I can take out the bear and put a hurting on the mechanopeep before the FFF goes down.. Bring in Flame to finish him off, then switch in the lowbie.
However, I usually on use lvl 20's or so.. and I usually win it..

I dont know if I have the leet skillz to use a lvl 1 :oops:

Cabadath

Post by Cabadath » January 22nd, 2013, 4:48 pm

Khorah wrote:I also use the FFF along with a rare Fel Flame.. Depending on the RNG, I can take out the bear and put a hurting on the mechanopeep before the FFF goes down.. Bring in Flame to finish him off, then switch in the lowbie.
However, I usually on use lvl 20's or so.. and I usually win it..

I dont know if I have the leet skillz to use a lvl 1 :oops:
If you level your lowbie up to lvl 5 at least, you might manage to take a hit on some trainers. Preferably, have a lvl 10 to be safe. You could level lowbies up a bit by killing lvl 1 critters, and doing the daily quests in lowlvl zones such as the guy next to the bridge in westfall bordering elwynn.

If you want to level up a lowlvl pet quickly, your safest bet is to have him up to 300 hp or so and fight farmer nishi. Start with the lowlvl, then switch to your lvl 25's. If you start out with the turnip, you will take about 150 dmg from him before switching, and then get the hit from the sunflower for about 250. You have to ensure having enough hp to survive that (at least lvl 5 I think), or you could flee the battle and start again to get the sunflower up first. As lvl 25's vs nishi, eternal strider etc. is awesome (rainy weather, pump, kills the two first elementals quick, and done correctly you also finish off the last pet). Darkmoon zeppelin (or any other mech) to finish off the last pet.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » January 22nd, 2013, 6:30 pm

Fluxfire & Anubisan Idol and you can level with EACH Tamer currently in game.

Mawder
Pet Score:2555
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Mawder » January 22nd, 2013, 11:11 pm

FFF / Tiny Snowman

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » January 23rd, 2013, 12:33 am

Drudatz wrote:Fluxfire & Anubisan Idol and you can level with EACH Tamer currently in game.
But but Anubisath is SOOOOOOOOOO boring tho (but effective yes). :D
- Taking your candles since 2005

Cabadath

Post by Cabadath » January 23rd, 2013, 4:55 am

There are lots of combinations which can take down the trainers. Some trainers are harder than others, so one tends to be safe by choosing healing/defensive pets with lesser offensive capabilities.

The continuous search for me is to find out which combination for each tamer is the fastest, and at the same time gives a consistent and high chance of winning. Having high dmg being able to finish the fight quickly doesn't help if you have a not unsignificant chance of losing.

The best example is the easiest of the pandaria tamers: farmer nishi. Lowlvl pet, eternal strider / mirror strider or similar with water jet, rainy weather and pump, and some random pet as third like the darkmoon zeppelin (the strider takes down all pets quickly with tons of dmg, so you won't need your third pet unless you get unlucky and die from the last pet's burrow).

Some fights that can be taxing, at least for me, is Mo'ruk, burning spirit, shu and whispering spirit. Some because RNG with my lineup can end in loads of retries, some because my lineup does it the "safe way" such as with the emerald proto whelp.

I see a lot of different suggestions here and there, and I have adopted a few. It would be interesting to gather the different tactics giving an intuitive overview of the different choices, how quick they are in defeating the trainer, and how reliable the team is.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » January 23rd, 2013, 8:17 am

Breed 5 FFF (Speed/Speed) can take out first two pets 90% of the time

Supercharge/Wind-up/Wind-up/Wind-up/Supercharge/Wind-up should finish both pets, if not, abandon, bandage(/stable master) and go again.

I usually have enough health left for a few pounces on Bloom before FFF dies, then you can switch in any lowbie in the 'death round'* before bringing in an aquatic with pump to take out bloom (I use an Aqua Strider).

*After a pet's death, you can switch a pet in for the rest of that round. It won't take damage, and you can switch it out next round and it will still count as fighting a round for xp gain purposes.