dodges and misses

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Tiger8380
Top Rater
Pet Score:2954
Realm:Black Dragonflight-us
dodges and misses

Post by Tiger8380 » January 18th, 2013, 1:53 am

I might be crazy and feel free to call me on it but I have been doing pet battles since pandaria shipped and since this patch I have notice a HUGE increase in the amount that my pets (same ones I always use pretty much) miss or get dodged. It is extremely frustrating and just to rant a little I don't even think it should be in this personally. I think that all strategy regarding what pet you pick and stuff like that goes directly out the window when things like crits/dodges/misses are taken into account. I don't mind in the base game when that stuff is involved namely because there is a way to build up your character to avoid it as much as possible. I can't do anything with my pets other than level them to max.......which I have.

Ok, sorry for ranting at the end there but it is extremely frustrating lately. Please let me know if anyone else has noticed this

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Re: dodges and misses

Post by Zaelo » January 18th, 2013, 12:20 pm

I wouldn't say it throws all strategy out the window.. it's the same dodge/misses for all pets and is just part of the system.

Unlucky nights happen, but it doesn't mean your strategies are scrap.

I would advise looking at wowdb.com for the abilities that you use mostly. A lot of abilities have lower than the 100% accuracy most abilities have, but their tooltip says nothing about it.

Crandor
Pet Score:3876
Realm:Thaurissan-us

Post by Crandor » January 18th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Well i think i can safely say you're not the only one who experience such bad RNGs with the misses and dodge. I've seen many people complain about this as well, including me (Losing to air tamer 12 straight times in a row because of miss/dodge really isn't a joke >_>)

Probably try to avoid abilities that have mid-high miss chance, and probably form strategies that allow a small chance for bad RNG to happen (some misses/dodge) and still be able to win the battle (I assume against the tamers)

Darklynx
Pet Score:9711
Realm:Tol Barad-us

Post by Darklynx » January 18th, 2013, 12:59 pm

Yup, I even miss Nocturnal Strike on Darkness, had to make a bug report about that (even had the screenshot taken). I've been missing quite a lot this last week too.

Tiger8380
Top Rater
Pet Score:2954
Realm:Black Dragonflight-us

Post by Tiger8380 » January 18th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Yea mostly it is against tamers. When you are trying to level up pets it is so critical that you don't miss a lot and recently (since last patch) it has been really bad. Previous to that I was totally ok with misses, they were still a little annoying but weren't bad and didn't happen over and over again. But the air tamer is a good example. If I hit with enough of my attacks that fight is pretty easy but because like 1/2 of everything I do just misses it makes the fight very frustrating to deal with.

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » January 18th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Maybe they increased the base dodge chance of Legendary pets, or something in those lines..?
I dunno..

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » January 18th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Crandor wrote:form strategies that allow a small chance for bad RNG to happen (some misses/dodge) and still be able to win the battle
exactly this. At 5% miss + 5% dodge, having multiple attacks fail during a fight is the norm, not the exception. Being able to handle a bit of bad luck is part of what makes a good strategy.

This is not to say that I cherish the random misses: I've had Lift-Off miss three times in a row--I yell at the screen and start over in that scenario. But with the AI being as bad as it is, RNG is the only way to prevent a particular fight from being identical day-to-day.

There are abilities that are truly immune to RNG. They tend to be defensive moves (Reflect, Dodge, Decoy, shields+heals), so they tend to make fights go slower, but they also make your strategy more robust. If given the choice between a guaranteed win in 25 turns, or a 50% chance to win in 12 turns, I typically go with the former. So my tamer teams often have Emerald Proto-Whelp, Anubisath Idol, Flayer Youngling, breed 5 Rabbit, and/or Darkmoon Zeppelin.

In the particular case of the Air Spirit, I've gone through many setups that have the potential to end the fight pretty quickly (e.g. Soul of the Aspects+Infinite Whelpling). But then I always have that one day where I miss a couple times on the spirit itself, it heals to full, and nibbles my last pet to death. So now I always always always use Emerald Proto-Whelp--with bad RNG it can take 30+ turns, but Proto-Whelp never loses.