Fabled Panderean Boss Pet Thread (Image Heavy!)

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us
Re: Fabled Panderean Boss Pet Thread (Image Heavy!)

Post by Gilneas » January 11th, 2013, 5:14 pm

Knotrandall wrote:If I had to take a guess I'd say that maybe the daily will be similar to the August Celestial dailies. You go to some central NPC and they send you off to fight whichever pet is up that day.
According to Wowhead's PTR data, the daily quest is to defeat all 8, and rewards a bag that can have one of the 3 other pandas in it.

So if they expect people to do it as a daily, their spawn time can't be that long.

Ryna
MVP

Post by Ryna » January 11th, 2013, 8:25 pm

After defeating them, the respawn is near-instant.

Jeykama
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Jeykama » January 11th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Darkke wrote:So if we can't be killed while battling these guys, are these guys going to be immune to attacks as well? Our attacks not pet attacks. Just trying to think of all the ways we could be griefed. :-(
They're not attackable with direct or aoe attacks, but they respawn instantly anyway.

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » January 12th, 2013, 2:03 am

Ryna wrote:After defeating them, the respawn is near-instant.
Interesting. The original description when they talked about it made it sound like they would actually be rare spawns. I guess since they decided to make a daily of it, the change to a fast respawn was a necessity.

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » January 12th, 2013, 6:43 am

I wish they would change the mechanic so everyone could fight them at the same time.
The pets will be completely clogged the way it currently is.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » January 12th, 2013, 11:33 am

If they're going to make them a daily, they should make them quest-givers like the Spirit Tamers.
If they want them to be rare spawns, they should make each one give a pet a decent amount of the time, like the special drops from current Pandaria rare spawns.

Mixing the two concepts is just going to make it frustrating for tamers.
ImageImage

Winterfell
Pet Score:2034
Realm:C'Thun-eu

Post by Winterfell » January 14th, 2013, 8:36 am

Darkke wrote:Speaking of % based attacks, it would seem I might need to train my brilliant kallari for the health % based insta-kill.

[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/flying/predatory-strike/]Predatory Strike[/url]
Why not level the Darkmoon Hatchling instead?

With Trample (deals 34 damage + a 10% of the target's health) and Predatory Strike it seems tailor made to fight off these elite pets.

Winterfell
Pet Score:2034
Realm:C'Thun-eu

Post by Winterfell » January 14th, 2013, 8:40 am

...and that makes me wonder: is the % based damage in abilities such as Trample affected by increased damage taken debuffs such as, say, the one from Howl?

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » January 14th, 2013, 6:42 pm

I don't know about Howl specifically, but percent-of-health based abilities (Trample, Glowing Toxin) don't benefit from buffs such as Trumpet Strike (+25% damage) or the beast passive ability. They also aren't reduced by shields.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 14th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Has anyone teamed up with a friend or two on the PTR to test if multiple people can battle an Elite Pet at the same time? Kinda silly question, I know, but the way the pets despawn if you forfeit/lose the battle throws me off.

Also, I don't know if this is a bug or not, but each time they respawn, they're a different level. At least the one in Kun-Lai Summit seems to level swap. O_o Went from 23 to 25 to 24 to 25.

Edit: Nevermind, Mumper clarified on Twitter that despawning and level changing are both bugs on the PTR. The Elite Pets should work like the Tamers.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » January 15th, 2013, 8:29 am

There's loads of great info here, thanks to everyone for compiling it!

I'm not too sure how much I like the current iteration, I was hoping for pet equivalent of rare spawns which were capturable at low enoug health (or left a lootable corpse with a chance of dropping themselves).

Still, PTR is subject to change, maybe they will be more interesting than this, which is basically the next version of spirit tamers

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » January 15th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Gromagrim wrote:There's loads of great info here, thanks to everyone for compiling it!

I'm not too sure how much I like the current iteration, I was hoping for pet equivalent of rare spawns which were capturable at low enoug health (or left a lootable corpse with a chance of dropping themselves).

Still, PTR is subject to change, maybe they will be more interesting than this, which is basically the next version of spirit tamers
I'm glad they went this route. The original description made them sound akin to hunting hunting (similar to Glorious!) and that didn't strike me as terribly fun. But turning it into a daily where finding them is the easy part, and defeating them is the challenge... that makes it seem more.fun to me.

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » January 15th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Gilneas wrote: I'm glad they went this route. The original description made them sound akin to hunting hunting (similar to Glorious!) and that didn't strike me as terribly fun. But turning it into a daily where finding them is the easy part, and defeating them is the challenge... that makes it seem more.fun to me.
I agree. Hunting any kind of rare stuff is especially annoying if you can't stumble upon it randomly, but it rather always spawns in the same spot, meaning dozens of people with too much time camping those spots 24/7.
Sadly it's the case with many rare things in MoP right now, so even better that the new elite pets aren't like that.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » January 15th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Am I the only one that thinks fighting 10(!) elite pets per day for a daily is a bit over the top??? :cry:

Jeykama

Post by Jeykama » January 15th, 2013, 3:32 pm

No one's forcing you to do it every day. They're not particularly hard as-is, anyway.

Darkke
Top Rater
Pet Score:7826
Realm:Daggerspine-us

Post by Darkke » January 15th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Drudatz wrote:Am I the only one that thinks fighting 10(!) elite pets per day for a daily is a bit over the top??? :cry:
Not necessarily. The rewards are limited, 3 panda variations from the bags and after that, there isn't a reward from the bags, unless they drop battle-stones as well.

The real benefit in having these as dailies will be the experience they give, and how much of it. Compared to the regular/spirit trainers, an elite pet only has one type (instead of three that most trainers have) and it will be all the easier to squeeze in one or two low level pets to benefit from the large chunk of experience.

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » January 15th, 2013, 3:52 pm

Drudatz wrote:Am I the only one that thinks fighting 10(!) elite pets per day for a daily is a bit over the top??? :cry:
On top of the 16 trainers for bags and any other dailies you want/have to do, yes.
And to add to it, the chance that you might have to tag it first or wait for the person to beat it for it to respawn, and even add to it, failing and having to start it all over. For all the work pet fanatics put into the game, we should get valor/justice points from dailies.

On a side note, can we get more of the increase size treats and less of the half-size treats, and/or make then both vendorable? I have NO pets I want to shrink, and a lot I wish I could triple or quadruple the size of.
At least the grooming and happy treats are vendorable, since I never use them.
Since I am on a rant, are we gonna have to start hoarding bandages for the damage hit from forfiets?
For that matter, does anyone have any confirmation on the despawning or not on forfiets, and how the issue works if you kill the main pet, or first 2 then forfiet?
And also how any of this effects XP?
I would like to see the trainers rotate first pets if we are gonna take a hit from forfiets. I sometimes forfiet a dozen times on Major Payne, trying to get the bear or the mechbird first. It seems to know which pet I have first, and if I swap pets, it swaps too, so I have to constantly forfiet, or loose a turn. If I have a mech out the mech bird pops, if I have lil' Rags, the bear pops. It would be so helpful if they just went back and forth on each forfiet, first bear then mechbird, then bear, and so on.
/rant
mykro9#1585

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » January 15th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Jeykama wrote:No one's forcing you to do it every day. They're not particularly hard as-is, anyway.
I know that...

waht i mean is: does anyone else think "fight 10 pets and you get 1 bag" is a complete joke?
Last edited by Drudatz on January 15th, 2013, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeykama

Post by Jeykama » January 15th, 2013, 4:29 pm

It's amusing that people are complaining now that there is too much content! To me, it means that the pet designers at least are doing their job :P Now, if people could just get off their OCD to enjoy this (completely optional/sidequest) content...

The forfeit damage and respawning features aren't implemented on the current build. IIRC a twitter response was that it is not their intent for us to take forfeit damage from NPC pet trainers.

IIRC they want to give a chance to drop lesser charms from wild pet fights. Would be nice to get JP/VP too since the dailies take a bit of time but whatever- it's side content.

----

And as for the "fight 10 pets and get 1 bag" thing, the quest isn't even implemented yet on the PTR (as far as I know). It could be that you get to headhunt 2-3 of them. Or it could be you get to fight all 10. Either way, no one's forcing you to do all of the pet battle dailies - I don't even do the spirit ones now, since their bags don't drop stones. If it does end up being overwhelming, focus on the stuff you want, then do the rest if you have the desire to. It's not like this is raid content where you're obliged to 9/24 other people to get geared up as fast as you can.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 15th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Mykro9 wrote: And to add to it, the chance that you might have to tag it first or wait for the person to beat it for it to respawn, and even add to it, failing and having to start it all over.
This is a bug on the PTR. The Elite Pets will not despawn if you forfeit or lose. This means that everyone can engage in battle with them at the same time. Essentially, they will work just like the Tamer battles.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com