Emerald Proto Whelp...

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Notamonk
Pet Score:833
Realm:Firetree-us
Emerald Proto Whelp...

Post by Notamonk » January 10th, 2013, 12:16 pm

How do I get this little bugger to spawn or when does it spawn? Been camping the spawn locations for a couple of weeks now and no sign of the little buggers. I've also been killing he eggs, proto whelps, and the giant flying ones. But alas no sign of a single pet yet! :(

Any tips on how/when this thing spawns?

Thanks! :)

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Re: Emerald Proto Whelp...

Post by Breehit » January 10th, 2013, 12:40 pm

I just kept doing fly overs in the spawn area, and one day a spawn appeared (only one, lol). It was a poor, but better than nothing. At least this one does spawn randomly, unlike the contemptible scourged whelping (which seems to still be tied to server resets).

Notamonk

Post by Notamonk » January 10th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Breehit wrote:I just kept doing fly overs in the spawn area, and one day a spawn appeared (only one, lol). It was a poor, but better than nothing. At least this one does spawn randomly, unlike the contemptible scourged whelping (which seems to still be tied to server resets).
Damn it really!?!? That's freaking frustrating!!! Yea I was lucky enough to tame a Scourged Whelpling, sadly only an uncommon and I've only been camping Sindragosa's fall for maybe like 2 days... but this stupid dragon refuses to spawn for me! >:[

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » January 10th, 2013, 5:45 pm

I would just park an alt there and check every few hours; the 5.1 wild pets don't seem to have too horribly long of respawn timers.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » January 10th, 2013, 6:42 pm

^ I'd agree. The new spawning system seems to work pretty well for its stated purpose--it's much more likely to find 1 or 2 up if you just happen to fly past or log a parked alt. By the same token, you pretty much never see more than 2 or 3 spawned at the same time. At least emerald proto is only in a small area--checking for infinite whelplings every hour drove me slightly crazy.

Post by Guest » January 10th, 2013, 7:50 pm

I'd try killing the eggs/whelps again. I read on WoWhead that it worked for some people, so I went on an egg killing spree and got around three Emerald Whelps to spawn in a half-hour period. May have been a coincidence but you never know...

Rhaiah
Pet Score:4529
Realm:Burning Legion-us

Post by Rhaiah » January 10th, 2013, 8:36 pm

I killed eggs and their little whelps non-stop. I did kill an occasional drake, but mostly just eggs and whelps. I got one to spawn and a 79 ally attacked me and I lost it. I killed the ally and continued, and several minutes later another one spawned, this time a rare. But I killed a ton of eggs/whelps.

Alaiyarocks
Pet Score:3846
Realm:Velen-us

Post by Alaiyarocks » January 10th, 2013, 9:35 pm

I got two to spawn within half an hour. At first I was just killing the eggs and the neutral whelps that spawned but then I got a bit bored and killed the big protos as well. Within ten minutes of starting to do this, two whelps spawned in the middle. One was pounced on by another player but fortunately mine was Uncommon, I then upgraded him using a stone. I suggest that you find a quiet time and just spend a while there killing stuff. It has worked for me on a number of pets now.

Notamonk

Post by Notamonk » January 11th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Poofah wrote:^ I'd agree. The new spawning system seems to work pretty well for its stated purpose--it's much more likely to find 1 or 2 up if you just happen to fly past or log a parked alt. By the same token, you pretty much never see more than 2 or 3 spawned at the same time. At least emerald proto is only in a small area--checking for infinite whelplings every hour drove me slightly crazy.
Really? I was really lucky with the Infinite whelpling. First time I went there I found one in the tunnel one the way to the end (where the instances are) and tamed it. Sadly it was only a common; on the way out there were 3 spawned near the entrance. 2 uncommon and 1 rare! :D

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » January 11th, 2013, 6:00 pm

I parked alts at the spawn points, so for Emerald it was just: log on alt, see no spawns, log off again and go back to what I was doing. For Infinite, it was: log on alt, see no spawns above ground, fly alllllllll the way down that winding tunnel, still no spawns, fly around the circle and into the entryways for all the instances, still no spawns, log out. I think the only thing worse would be if they put a rare spawn somewhere in Vashj'ir.

Proustite
Pet Score:2745
Realm:Boulderfist-us

Post by Proustite » January 15th, 2013, 6:45 am

Seemed like there were 4 spawns, each on a ~45min timer for this guy.

Mystical
Pet Score:6048
BattleTag®:Mystical#11881
Realm:Ragnaros-us

Post by Mystical » January 15th, 2013, 8:45 am

Notamonk wrote:How do I get this little bugger to spawn or when does it spawn? Been camping the spawn locations for a couple of weeks now and no sign of the little buggers. I've also been killing he eggs, proto whelps, and the giant flying ones. But alas no sign of a single pet yet! :(

Any tips on how/when this thing spawns?

Thanks! :)
Emerald whelps are usually up on my main's realm.. (low pop) I'll let you know when I see one :D