Battle stones - Myth or reality?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu
Battle stones - Myth or reality?

Post by Index » January 3rd, 2013, 8:17 am

Hi folks,

As topic, you can guess I've not had much luck seeing ANY stones drop from ANY world pet battle. Do they actually exist, or are people inventing theirs to make me feel bad? :P

All joking aside, I'm up to almost 3000 world pet battles, and I'm yet to see a single stone drop, are there any "better places" to go and hunt these? I've had numerous from the tamers bags, so I'm guessing that Lady RNG is in a huff with me?

Anyone else having the same luck or am I really just *that* unlucky?

Index.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Re: Battle stones - Myth or reality?

Post by GormanGhaste » January 3rd, 2013, 8:37 am

I've only gotten two, and both of those were just this last week.
Mingyao on Madoran

Khorah
Pet Score:11506
BattleTag®:Khorah#1833
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Khorah » January 3rd, 2013, 8:38 am

My luck with stones is.... bad.. regardless of their origin..
I think I have gotten *maybe* 2 stones from battles and I average 1 stone from bags about every 2 or 3 days (probably closer to 3 :( )..
I have to say some folks need to hit Vegas with the frequency that they hit stones around here ;)

But, then again, I have always known that the RNG is not friend ssoooo... :ugeek:

Bistromath
Pet Score:3055
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Bistromath » January 3rd, 2013, 8:45 am

Good Morning,

Heres a list where ive had the most luck getting stones
Lvl 25 pets have the highest change to drop stones

Critter Stones: Critters in Valley of the Four Winds and Veil Stairs
Beast Stones: Beasts in Krasarang Wilds and Kun-Lai Summit
Aqua Stones: Aquatics in Vale of the Eternal Blossom
Flying Stones: Flyers in Vale of the Eternal Blosson and Krasarang Wilds
Undead Stone: Restless Shadelings in the Underground areas outside of Karazhan in Deadwind Pass
Magic Stones: Arcane Eyes out side of Karazhan in ruined town in Deadwind Pass and Oily Slimlings in Borean Tundra
Humanoid Stones: Kun-Lai Runts in Kun-Lai Summit
Dragonkin Stones: Water Wavelings in Zul'Drak (not sure why they drop Dragonkin, but they do)
Elemental Stones: Elementals in Deepholm

Mech Stones: Never Seen one drop in a Pet Battle
Flawless Battle-Stone: Over 5k fights and never seen one drop

I hope this helps some

Fabsm
Pet Score:1977
Realm:Nemesis-eu

Post by Fabsm » January 3rd, 2013, 8:53 am

Been lucky as hell to having collected one Flawless Battle-Stone in a random encounter while leveling my pet to 25... and already used it before having a clue to its rarity! :(

Sigh, i hope my luck will go on... i have so many pets to upgrade... :?

Mos
Pet Score:2126
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Mos » January 3rd, 2013, 10:45 am

I had the best luck the other night. Seriously collected 2 flawless battle stones in about 5 battles leveling my pets in Townlong Steppes. Granted this was after a few hours of leveling with 2 FFF's and my leveling pet of choice. Always make sure there is a Difficulty bonus, or else no stone will ever drop. Monotony is the key, just turn on some music, zone out and kill every pet battle you can. They will drop eventually......

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » January 3rd, 2013, 11:01 am

Mos wrote:I had the best luck the other night. Seriously collected 2 flawless battle stones in about 5 battles leveling my pets in Townlong Steppes. Granted this was after a few hours of leveling with 2 FFF's and my leveling pet of choice. Always make sure there is a Difficulty bonus, or else no stone will ever drop. Monotony is the key, just turn on some music, zone out and kill every pet battle you can. They will drop eventually......
Hi all.
I'm still a tad confused about what exactly is the optimal situation for the stones to drop : if I battle 23-25 wild pets with a 25 and 2 other pets below that level, is it still ok, or do I have to have all pets have the difficulty bonus ?

What about farming Arcanic eyes (lvl 17-18 pets) with a level 25 and 2 low levels, do I still stand a chance to see a stone drop ?

Sorry if it has been discussed to death, I'm kinda slow sometimes :oops:

Kielush
Pet Score:2450
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Kielush » January 3rd, 2013, 11:17 am

I have collected over 30 stones just from pet battle daily bags, always 1 low level and 2 level 25's. They seem to drop a lot more this way, I have a friend who does dailies with 3 level 25's and has only gotten about 4 so far. As far as flawless battle stones from wild battles I have only had 2 drop out of prob 20 battles.

Thralla
MVP
Pet Score:2070
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Thralla » January 3rd, 2013, 12:48 pm

Four stones total. Flying and critter from battles. Humanoid and dragonkin from trainers. All within the first week or so of their release. Nada since.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » January 3rd, 2013, 1:07 pm

Mos wrote:Always make sure there is a Difficulty bonus, or else no stone will ever drop.
This isn't true. While a difficulty bonus may make stones more likely to drop, I have gotten stones from battles without one.
Mingyao on Madoran

Ribai
Pet Score:3119
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Ribai » January 3rd, 2013, 5:52 pm

By far, the best way to get battle stones is from the Sack dailies. There are twelve of these you can do each day that have a chance to drop a stone.

Winterspring
Deadwind Pass
Shadowmoon Valley
Icecrown
Uldum
1 in each Pandaria zone.

There are also the 4 pandaren spirit tamers that drop sacks, but those sacks don't drop stones).

I have about 30 stones that I've used or am saving, and I think only 4 of them actually came from random battles. I usually get at least one per day of dailies, and have gotten as many as 3 in a day before.

Draconicarmagon
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Draconicarmagon » January 3rd, 2013, 7:33 pm

I've gotten one Beast Stone in Unguro Crater and immediately used it on a Diemetradon Hatchling, bringing it up from poor to rare and that is about it...but then again I have maybe a couple battles every few days. So the frequency might be higher or its like everyone else said, rare as hell :/

Catalytic
Pet Score:4337
BattleTag®:Lyrics#1788
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Catalytic » January 4th, 2013, 1:59 am

Dash wrote:Hi all.
I'm still a tad confused about what exactly is the optimal situation for the stones to drop : if I battle 23-25 wild pets with a 25 and 2 other pets below that level, is it still ok, or do I have to have all pets have the difficulty bonus ?

What about farming Arcanic eyes (lvl 17-18 pets) with a level 25 and 2 low levels, do I still stand a chance to see a stone drop ?

Sorry if it has been discussed to death, I'm kinda slow sometimes :oops:
I assume difficulty means that a pet gets XP from the fight...assuming that, it isn't necessary for all pets to be able to make XP off the battle. I have picked up two stones (BoP, family-specific) battling pets in the Eastern Kingdoms, and I always use one lowbie and 2 25s on my team when I am wandering around. (I want to say I got one stone off a toad somewhere and the other off a Blighthawk)

Tadedra
Pet Score:7267
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Tadedra » January 4th, 2013, 2:32 am

I have gotten a few. One Flawless from a GM issue due to the Darkmoon Hatchling. I upgraded my Wolpertinger. I got one and upgraded a Scourged Whelpling, and Egbert, and Sea Pony, and i want to say a flying one. Plus I think I might have bought a flawless of the AH but I can't remember. the ones, I've gotten were from Pet Battles at least most of them were. Maybe one was from a bag.

Mos
Pet Score:2126
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Mos » January 4th, 2013, 10:03 am

My bad, I was thinking you always have to have the difficulty bonus for them to drop. That's the only way I have ever done it on wilds, and seen relative success with it.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » January 4th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Hmmmm...my RNG must be bad...I have NEVER gotten one from a bag! But, I have snagged about 6 from wild battles (all with over level 20 opponents).

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » January 4th, 2013, 3:24 pm

I've never seen one from a wild pet. The only ones I've received are from bags from the dailies. I've got 6 so far I believe. 1 critter, 2 beast, 1 humaniod and 2 dragonkin.

6 out of hundreds of dailies since 5.1 released.

RNG is RNG and my RNG blows. :)

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » January 4th, 2013, 3:35 pm

They are pretty darned rare anyway. I've only had 5-6 total, since they were introduced, and one of those was sent to me by a GM for my Darkmoon Hatchling (bought it on the first day, before they made it a Rare).

Best luck ever was in Deadwind Pass, where I managed to find a rare Arcane Eye, a flawless magic stone from a battle, and then another one from the pet trainer daily, all within about 5 minutes!

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » January 4th, 2013, 3:58 pm

All of this is good info, it confirms that a stone can drop from a wild pet less than lvl 20 (namely the arcanic eye and plaguelands pets), just more rarely as I understand it (and rarely is the word here ..)

Also, my question before was indeed dumb, I've gotten stones while leveling pets (diff bonus) but the one which did all the killing was a lvl 25. I *am* slow sometimes :p

I've had stones drop from daily bags, about 6 or 7, mainly from Pandaria trainers, and 2 or 3 from critters in the forest under Dalaran while leveling up my lowbies, after 200 battles or so (excellent spot btw, all critters all the time, so bring a spider and with brittle webbing and a bit of healing you're good to go. A shame critters specific stones are not really the ones I'm after ... )

Never seen a non family specific stone ever though.

Irulan
Top Rater
Pet Score:13621
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Irulan » January 5th, 2013, 5:11 pm

I was lucky while trying to find a rare Imperial Eagle Chick, as I found two (!) Flawless Battle Stones in two consecutive fights. I thought that just chat didn't scroll, but to make sure I checked... whoa! really second general purpose stone! :D

As for family specific stones - 1 stone for 2 days of dailies, and maybe 6 overall from wild pet battles.
I just wonder if there is dependency whether you catch a pet or just kill? Anyone noticed?