Pet Battle Leveling Hotfix announcment!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Suspiro
Top Rater
Pet Score:4140
BattleTag®:Loni#1589
Realm:Khaz Modan-us
Re: Pet Battle Leveling Hotfix announcment!

Post by Suspiro » December 20th, 2012, 9:55 am

Bandobras wrote:
Suspiro wrote:
Ryazan wrote:Suspiro, you seem to use Jade Oozeling a lot, any particular ability set you fight with?
Absorb, Corrosion, Acidic Goo

The damage, and subsequently the healing, is amplified by both dots to the point of restoring roughly 300 health per use. The dots also amplify each other to deal roughly 350 damage per turn on opponents without weaknesses or defenses to them. Of the pets with indentical abilities, Jade Oozeling has the highest power and lowest hp making the Magical passive kick in sooner and making the Absorb damage/heal for more.
The magical passive is: cannot lose more than 50 % hp of max health at once.

If you have 1400 hp and get hit for 900, you will only receive 700 dmg. It doesn't mean that you heal more or damage more with absorb. Anyway: the passive is always passive right from the start. It isn't triggered like with the beasts, dealing 25 % more damage when under 50 % hp.

Unless I am missing something? Please enlighten me if you know something I don't :)
You misunderstood what I said.

The magical passive is that you cannot lose more than 40% of your max health in one hit. (buffed in 5.1)

The order with which I said the last sentence is probably what caused the confusion... Jade Oozeling can have the lowest health of all pets with similar abilities. Compared to these pets, Jade Oozeling will take less damage from hits larger than 40% of its health than its counterparts. Jade Oozeling can also have the highest power of all pets with similar abilities simultaneously while having the lowest health. This high power increases the damage and subsequently the healing of Absorb.

I hope that clears up what I was trying to get across.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 20th, 2012, 11:00 am

Poofah posted the following in another thread...

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... aki#p10709
Probably the same thing: beat tamers with 2 pets plus a lowbie. You just have to fly around doing all the different ones rather than sit and kill Nishi over and over. This is what I've been doing anyway since 5.1, due to the battle stones.

Preferred line-ups:

Zusshi/Aki -- Magical Crawdad, Darkmoon Zeppelin
Dread Wastes guy -- Spawn of Onyxia, Darkmoon Zeppelin
Mo'ruk/Hyuna/Yon -- Emerald Proto-Whelp, Darkmoon Zeppelin

Air spirit -- Emerald Proto-Whelp.
Fire spirit -- Purple Puffer, Emerald Proto-Whelp
Water spirit -- a moth (needs to be 250+ speed) and a snail, however your lowbie will take several Tidal Waves so it has to have decent health.
Earth spirit -- I haven't found a good 2 pet team that reliably wins, so I forego the XP on this one. I'd love to hear if somebody has a good setup for this.

Uldum tamer -- Emerald Proto-Whelp, Darkmoon Zeppelin
Major Payne -- Fluxfire Feline, and a strider/skimmer

Antari -- Purple Puffer, Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling

Suspiro
Top Rater
Pet Score:4140
BattleTag®:Loni#1589
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Post by Suspiro » December 20th, 2012, 12:29 pm

Pacer wrote:@ Suspiro I tried your combos today and I must say they were amazing, I 1 shot every trainer (didnt try the elementals).

However the aki team seemed a bit bad, I only managed to win because the pet I was leveling was a lvl 24 pet and it was able to take out akis last pet. Maybe I was using the wrong moves on the Onyxian Whelpling or maybe im supposed to start with that one rather than the oozeling?
Glad most of them worked out.

On Aki, I start with the Oozeling (P/P), load up either the cricket or the dragon with Acidic Goo + Corrosion in that order and spam Absorb till the pet is dead. If the cricket goes first, I usually have close to full health when the dragon comes out. At that point, I can only get the two dots up before the Oozeling dies, but the dots plus the Lightning Storm procs kills the dragon. Then Ony can wipe the floor with the civet. I should have made a note regarding Aki that starting with the pet you want to level won't work out very well. You have to switch in the pet to be leveled on the civet since it has the least disruptive abilities. I haven't tried starting a leveling pet against Aki, so my recommended lineup would probably be different if I did. Sorry that my recommendation for her didn't work out as planned. =/

On moveset for Aki, I use Tail Sweep, Healing Flame and Lift Off on Ony and Absorb, Corrosion, Acidic Goo on Oozeling.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » December 20th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Bandobras wrote:The magical passive is: cannot lose more than 50 % hp of max health at once.

If you have 1400 hp and get hit for 900, you will only receive 700 dmg. It doesn't mean that you heal more or damage more with absorb. Anyway: the passive is always passive right from the start. It isn't triggered like with the beasts, dealing 25 % more damage when under 50 % hp.

Unless I am missing something? Please enlighten me if you know something I don't :)
First, the magic passive has changed to only taking 40% of its health from any hit.

I believe what he's saying is that with lower health it takes a smaller hit for the damage reduction to happen. Ultimately, with the magic passive damage reduction, health really doesn't matter. No matter how hard their abilities hit, it's still going to take at least three hits to kill you. So finding a breed with less health and more power will make absorb hit harder and gain you more life.

Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu

Post by Hellomynameis » December 20th, 2012, 3:39 pm

NathKnave wrote:I believe what he's saying is that with lower health it takes a smaller hit for the damage reduction to happen. Ultimately, with the magic passive damage reduction, health really doesn't matter. No matter how hard their abilities hit, it's still going to take at least three hits to kill you. So finding a breed with less health and more power will make absorb hit harder and gain you more life.
Actually, he says lower health is better, because 40% of 1000 are only 400, while 40% of 2000 are 800, therefore, with 2000 health instead of 1000 health, you would be hit for 800 instead of 400, therefore lower health is better than higher. Low health and high power has a synergy that causes lower hits and bigger heals. If it takes less than 3 turns to heal up 21% hp, you will last ATLEAST 3 attacks(40%+40%+40%), most likely more. 21% of 1000 results in 210 heal needed, while 21% of 2000 results in 420 heal needed. Does that get rid of the confusion? :) Especially good against big hitters, since their big hits needs preparation or recharging, therefore turns are lost for them and their big hit is massivly reduced.

Frozenpets

Post by Frozenpets » December 21st, 2012, 8:51 pm

for the flowing water spirit, you can also use a molten hatchling, I have a 5 breed and it can do really well teaming up with a ptterdax hatchling. use the ptterdax to attack twice, then go up in the air when the fish uses its two big attacks, you then zoom down and kill it, then the strider you can down with the ptterdax, and the molten can come in and dominate even if it has half life from taking damage from tidal wave. the only issue there is your pet lasting beyond all the tidal waves as the third pet

Kagalii
Top Rater
Pet Score:10513
BattleTag®:Mikadochan#1520
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Kagalii » December 22nd, 2012, 6:56 pm

Frozenpets wrote:for the flowing water spirit, you can also use a molten hatchling, I have a 5 breed and it can do really well teaming up with a ptterdax hatchling. use the ptterdax to attack twice, then go up in the air when the fish uses its two big attacks, you then zoom down and kill it, then the strider you can down with the ptterdax, and the molten can come in and dominate even if it has half life from taking damage from tidal wave. the only issue there is your pet lasting beyond all the tidal waves as the third pet
I use Flayer Youngling breed 4 for this fight. It can solo pretty much the entire team no problem if you use reflect correctly.

Pheratia
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Pheratia » December 29th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Payne (Icecrown): Fluxfire Feline + Flayer Youngling
anyone else getting either of these to work?

Jeykama
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Jeykama » December 29th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Pheratia wrote:
Payne (Icecrown): Fluxfire Feline + Flayer Youngling
anyone else getting either of these to work?
Yeah. You need a noobie that can take ~700 damage though (1k+ if it's a critter) and a fast breed rare Flux, I think. Fight goes pretty much like this:

Noobie vs. Bear - Noobie eats 2 Rampage attacks (and the stun, if the bear opens with it)
Bring in Flux
Supercharge -> Wind -> Wind = dead bear
Beakmaster comes in
Wind -> Supercharge -> Wind = hopefully dead Beakmaster thanks to the Wind-up/Failsafe bug
Plant - do whatever damage you can, bring in other 25 pet and stomp it.

Rimsala
Pet Score:2580
Realm:The Scryers-us

Post by Rimsala » December 30th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Did anyone noticed if the force battle reset (logging in/out or doing Alt F4) has caused the pet to no longer spawn?
I did the Alt F4 to a Wild Golden Hatchling that had a rare Spirebound Crab friend with him as I had a rare spire already and I wanted to keep it around for others to gain, however when i came back in the spawn was gone and i hadn't seen the spawn again.
I did the same thing only i did a /logout and the Garden Moth didn't re-appear.
Was this feature taken out of the game?
if so it's too bad, i rather like to leave rare pets for others to get while I level up.

Pheratia
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Pheratia » December 31st, 2012, 12:23 am

thanks Jaykama!

in 5.2 they're making it so the battle pet stays when you forfeit, but our pets will take damage when we forfeit