Consistent misses with Nocturnal Strike

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Banehand
Pet Score:3526
Realm:Darrowmere-us
Consistent misses with Nocturnal Strike

Post by Banehand » December 23rd, 2016, 11:03 pm

Fyi finally raised a team i wanted to try in pvp bone serpent, and a few others for darkness/nocturnal strike hard enough to fight things out there without it consistently missing FYI

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Re: Consistent misses with Nocturnal Strike

Post by Paladance » December 24th, 2016, 1:18 am

Were at least some of the opponents elementals? Because they can't be blinded by the darkness.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » December 24th, 2016, 6:22 am

Paladance wrote:Were at least some of the opponents elementals? Because they can't be blinded by the darkness.
That's really subtle ... and clever!

Interesting thought, otherwise. I had a friend that was blind, and he always joked about us not seeing things and tripping on stuff on his place! He had over 500 LP's and they were not marked and he could tell you what each LP was!

Blindness?

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » December 24th, 2016, 11:35 am

If you were fighting elementals they aren't affect by weather. So they aren't blind by darkness and you will miss against them

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » December 25th, 2016, 6:51 am

Digem wrote:If you were fighting elementals they aren't affect by weather. So they aren't blind by darkness and you will miss against them
That sounds wrong.

Noc Strike doesn't proc from enemy being blinded; it procs from the weather being active, which means, player gets hit bonus, it's not enemy that gets a debuff.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » December 25th, 2016, 7:51 am

FuxieDK wrote:
Digem wrote:If you were fighting elementals they aren't affect by weather. So they aren't blind by darkness and you will miss against them
That sounds wrong.

Noc Strike doesn't proc from enemy being blinded; it procs from the weather being active, which means, player gets hit bonus, it's not enemy that gets a debuff.
It's exactly the opposite. [ability]Nocturnal Strike[/ability]

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » December 25th, 2016, 10:53 am

Paladance wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:
That sounds wrong.

It's exactly the opposite. [ability]Nocturnal Strike[/ability]
Must have been changed then, because it used to say "Always hit when weather is night" or something like it..

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 25th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Nocturnal Strike hit chance increases to 100%* when target is blinded, so Call Darkness counts as long as the target isn't an Elemental. An ability like Blinding Poison will work on an Elemental.

* (In reality Nocturnal Strike doesn't hit 100% even when target is blinded. There's argument over the cause but I and other people have seen it not hit regardless of our pet not being hit debuffed and the target being blinded, so... yeah.)

The_5kull
Pet Score:2078
Realm:Malorne-eu

Post by The_5kull » December 26th, 2016, 4:10 am

The problem with Nocturnal strike and Darkness is the fact, that Nocturnal strike gets a hit chance of 100 percent on blinded targets. But Darkness itself reduces your hit chance by 10% so it has at most a 90% hit chance. Except your opponent is blinded from another source and there is no Darkness up. Against Elementals you only have a 40% hit chance due to them being immune to bad weather effects (blinding) and your hit chance is further reduced by 10%.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 26th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Except it's not 100%. It's very rare, but it does miss on occasion even without the Elemental racial, a hit debuff, a dodge turn, etc. It's a possibility that the coding on it puts it at something like 99.9%, which rounds up to 100% but still isn't 100%.

Rabbia73
Pet Score:7074
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Rabbia73 » December 27th, 2016, 9:46 am

My understanding (and experience) corresponds with...The Skull up there.

Biscuit I'm pretty sure it is in fact a 90% hit chance on non-elementals, and I have had this happen to me - a miss on a non-elemental pet, with no dodge or w/e in play. The cause has been debated, but it's something along the lines of the buff (increase to 100%) being applied FIRST, THEN the standard deboff (reduced hit chance by 10%) - so 90%.

BUT I must allow I may be mistaken to an extent on the latter figure. It MAY be something like Peanutty is saying here. What I can say for sure though is, it CAN miss regardless, as I've had it happen.

I think I saw someone suggesting that for elementals it can somehow go to less than 40%. I don't think that's right - it's 40%