Pets stuck with cooldowns

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu
Pets stuck with cooldowns

Post by Paladance » September 25th, 2016, 1:19 am

There are good pets, bad pets and pets that have been cursed by developers.
Their abilities are arranged that way the cooldowns are overlapping, what cause a lack of choice or straight unplayability.
Perhaps the most known example is [pet]Bone Serpent[/pet], but that's a drop in the ocean.
Ever tamer pets can suffer from that, like one of the moths or Mirecroak since infamous change to [ability]Frog Kiss[/ability].

I'd tell there's a sliding scale, but that would probably not encourage to discussion. :mrgreen:

Well, look at [pet]Mini Mindslayer[/pet]. Since 7.0 you have either [ability]Inner Vision[/ability] → a 1st tier ability → Inner Vision → [ability]Interrupting Gaze[/ability] → a gap, or a 3rd tier ability → [ability]Amplify Magic[/ability] → [ability]Mana Surge[/ability] → Amplify Magic.
[pet]Pygmy Cow[/pet] is great for Celestial Tournament or as a scarecrow to [pet]Fragment of Anger[/pet], but can hardly do anything else.
[pet]Enchanted Pen[/pet] is forced to use [ability]Quills[/ability].

Can you recall other pets with that problem? Maybe there's a particular one that makes you angry/sad because of the necessity to put it among various "useless" pets? Let's see. :)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Re: Pets stuck with cooldowns

Post by Uduwudu » September 26th, 2016, 8:29 am

Hi,

While leveling a couple of pets from the start, I think the Bone Serpent, was one (can't remember now for sure), that has issues with the cooldowns, and the other might be the Darkshore Cub.

Both of these resolve within a couple of levels, but it makes it frustrating at level 1, you hit once, and can not hit, and take damage twice. A blue level 1 at that point, will not take down a Common or Uncommon level 1 ... so I end up splitting the fight with another pet. 25 points on 1st fight and 25 points the 2nd fight for both, and they level to Level 2.

Averalorax
Pet Score:5954
Realm:Drenden-us

Post by Averalorax » September 26th, 2016, 9:25 am

Hiya

My current annoyance is with one of the battle pets that drops in Broken Isle so it has to be raised from Level 1. Usually not a problem, but it is with the Risen Saber Kitten.

The first ability, Consume has a 1 round cooldown. So I had to resort to using a 2nd pet just to raise one. The second level ability is Rake with a 2 round cooldown. But at least at level 2 he should be able to make it 3 rounds before either passing or swapping, unlike at level 1. It looks like this may get better at higher levels, but just starting off, it is very annoying. At some point I will be using him again to get higher levels, but too busy with broken isle stuff to worry about it.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » September 26th, 2016, 1:58 pm

[ability]Arcane Eye[/ability] is also affected by the nerf -- instead of two possible repeatable moves it has only one now, [ability]Focused Beams[/ability]. [ability]Psychic Blast[/ability] isn't such a problem, especially when paired with Arcane Winds (and[ability] Mana Surge[/ability]), but still you get a gap by 8th round (and can it survive live so long anyway?).

WTB a weather effect that reduces all cooldowns, where possible, by 1 round :lol: at some cost ofc like a reduced attack power (not only damage).
Not relating to that particular situation. :P

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507