Anyone collecting from Darkmoon Faire this month?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Logansfury
Top Rater
Pet Score:4755
Realm:Korialstrasz-us
Anyone collecting from Darkmoon Faire this month?

Post by Logansfury » June 2nd, 2016, 4:59 pm

Good Morning,

Who else is eagerly waiting for Darkmoon Faire to open this month? I show myself as needing one last pet available at the Faire: [pet]Race MiniZep[/pet]

Soon as I can drag myself out of bed after the gates open I intend to focus on this pet. It seems to be a reward from an achieve buried deep in the tracker, that requires completion of prereq achieves to unlock and view.

Is anyone else planning to do The Big Race this month?

Logan

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Anyone collecting from Darkmoon Faire this month?

Post by Quintessence » June 2nd, 2016, 5:31 pm

I won't be participating in the races (thank goodness I'm done with that), but I will be taking alts to the Feasel brothers for some pet battling and player experience. If I happen to get a pet drop or two, well that would be a nice additional perk. :)

Good luck on the races!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » June 2nd, 2016, 6:28 pm

Thank you Quinn, have fun "reasoning" with the brothers ;)

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » June 3rd, 2016, 12:10 am

I have, for the time being, given up on the DMF race..

On the short race, I can be 1-2 tolls ahead of the video guides, 80% through the race, and still come in 1 toll too late.. On the EXACT same route as the guide.
On the long race, I can't even complete it within 10 tolls of,the requirement..

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » June 3rd, 2016, 12:14 am

It looks like a two man job. Need a party member up on a hill to access a high ledge from what Ive seen.

Ismenot
Pet Score:11226
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Ismenot » June 3rd, 2016, 1:46 am

I would love to have all this pets too, but am so bad in flying and walking straight in wow , that I just give up doing this achivement :cry:

Maybe some day a family/friend of mine will want to try do it for me

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » June 3rd, 2016, 2:19 am

I've filed that, and Hogs, under Can't Be Arsed. #fail :lol:

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » June 3rd, 2016, 2:22 am

Theres a few addons that do alerts for the whack-a-mole game and make scoring for Hogs easier, should you decide to go for it.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » June 3rd, 2016, 6:41 am

Quintessence wrote:thank goodness I'm done with that
Truer words never spoken!

I didn't have any problem at all getting Hogs, but I got really frustrated the first time I tried the Race, went off in a rage, and didn't come back to it for about three months. From the tips and videos, I got the impression that it couldn't be done without borderline exploiting the mechanics, and I hate games that work like that.

I was wrong. It is entirely do-able fairly. It took me over two hours to get the Race down solid, but I did it - and never never will again.

Chubbyzombie
Pet Score:7799
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Chubbyzombie » June 3rd, 2016, 8:50 am

I watched like 2 quick videos on youtube. I then tried it 3 times and on the third try was successful. The first I was awful, the second i missed it by 1 and the third, I messed up and improvised and got it with a slightly different route. I did it solo.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » June 3rd, 2016, 11:51 am

Gráinne wrote:
Quintessence wrote:thank goodness I'm done with that
Truer words never spoken!

I didn't have any problem at all getting Hogs, but I got really frustrated the first time I tried the Race, went off in a rage, and didn't come back to it for about three months. From the tips and videos, I got the impression that it couldn't be done without borderline exploiting the mechanics, and I hate games that work like that.

I was wrong. It is entirely do-able fairly. It took me over two hours to get the Race down solid, but I did it - and never never will again.
Definitely! I watched the videos then bashed my head against it for about 2 hours before I finally got it too. Never again. :shock:

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » June 3rd, 2016, 3:07 pm

The races are a massive pain but they're doable legitimately without using another player. There's several youtube videos with suggestions and I'd say pick one that seems to make sense, and then be prepared to run the routes A LOT to practice. I'm talking hours, potentially, especially if you're prone to panicking like me. :)

I'm still missing one of the achieves but the reward is an item with charges so I don't care about it - if that changes to a toy I'll be out there again. :(

Tip: to save on tokens you can start a race and then just spend time on the course practicing, instead of finishing (and then cancel the race buff aura to get back to the start point and start over).

The Hogs achieve is a bit of RNG but otherwise very doable without any sort of addon. It's just recognition and coordination. You want to focus on hitting Hoggers (3 pts) and not the regular guys (1 pt) and definitely not the babies! If nothing's up linger towards the center so you can rush over to the next Hogger(s) that pop up.

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » June 3rd, 2016, 4:15 pm

The toy for the shorter race event was an all day affair as I recall.

I did the race for the first time, got about 2-4 small achieves that all opened up other achieves for each of the vehicle choices. Bought a big bag of tokens, raced for a bit, researched for a bit on youtube, practiced some more on the race track. Took a break for a good hour, returned bought more tokens and resumed practice.

Seemed to be a case of developing muscle memory for the proper course, then doing it properly over and over until the stars aligned and some good rng allowed you to complete with a winning score.

Ive had 17 tokens in my bag since last month just waiting to burn on the June Big Race.

Sarajiel
Pet Score:5538
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Post by Sarajiel » June 3rd, 2016, 6:52 pm

Peanutty wrote:The Hogs achieve is a bit of RNG but otherwise very doable without any sort of addon. It's just recognition and coordination. You want to focus on hitting Hoggers (3 pts) and not the regular guys (1 pt) and definitely not the babies! If nothing's up linger towards the center so you can rush over to the next Hogger(s) that pop up.
It also helps to equip items with +speed (ilvl doesn't matter), "Gift ..." cloak enchant and switch to some talents with a passive speed boost. Probably the easiest classes/specs to do it are DKs, Paladins and Windwalker Monks. Got it on my Paladin with 137% run speed on the first try and on my WW Monk with 125% on the second.
Sarajiel's dose of nerd culture...

www.piratez.cc

The next novel will be out Soon™

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » June 5th, 2016, 5:32 am

It's up! it's open! it's happening!!

Off to grab some chocolate coffees, establish jitters, and settle in for a long long day of learning the course achieve speed.

Wish me luck all!

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » June 5th, 2016, 6:51 am

Well spent some time getting an alt on 2nd acct positioned as in video and 30 mins later was convinced blizz has made what the vid showed impossible. Found 2nd video with a diff route to top and managed to get the route completed. I hit Rocket Man and Big Rocketter: Bronze simultaneously.

Now ive opened up Big Race enthusiast, Big Rocketeer: Silver, and Goal-Oriented achievements.

Time to start cycling thru the 4 vehicles and learning the course completely so I can start to shave time.

Wish me sanity!

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » June 5th, 2016, 7:00 am

WAZOO!

Just did one more run after posting, and got Big Rocketeer:Silver in 22 whatevers.

This has opened up Big Rocketeer:Gold which rewards the pet!! I need only shave my time down on this vehicle by 2 thingamabobs!

Going better than I expected :D
Last edited by Logansfury on June 5th, 2016, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » June 5th, 2016, 7:04 am

Peanutty wrote:I'm still missing one of the achieves but the reward is an item with charges so I don't care about it - if that changes to a toy I'll be out there again. :(
I'm missing exactly the same achievement -- it's a Big Race, Strider Edition.

Feeling worse and worse with the whole Leap of Faith thing to be honest.
Logansfury wrote:Well spent some time getting an alt on 2nd acct positioned as in video and 30 mins later was convinced blizz has made what the vid showed impossible.
How to see which are the most likely ones? Just the newest ones?
Because we definitely have a time and bandwidth to browse through enormous amount of YT videos… ;)

By the way, you can edit your posts you know… or don't you?

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » June 5th, 2016, 7:45 am

So to anyone that got down on themselves for not being able to complete this yet:

Dont.

This is the most broken piece of miscoded garbage ive ever experienced. I have done no less than 3 winning runs in the last 30 mins and been robbed of the win because the buffs and race devices are failing over and over and over.

The boosts give me water walking less than half the time, and the rockets necessary to lift you to the other elevations of the race track are working like 1 time in 10 or worse for me.

I have the course down to muscle memory, now I just have to do it over and over until I rng into an unbroken run.

UNBELIEVABLY frustrating...

Logansfury
Top Rater

Post by Logansfury » June 5th, 2016, 7:59 am

...but despite all obstacles, I just scored my MiniZep!

I think im going to go outside and find a tree to chew on for about a half hour then ill get to leveling the little guy.

This took years off my life, I just know it >.<