Pet Battle leveling. Need some advice from the community

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Ergroka71
Pet Score:6599
BattleTag®:Groka#1958
Realm:Draenor-us
Pet Battle leveling. Need some advice from the community

Post by Ergroka71 » May 26th, 2016, 7:57 pm

I am in the process of leveling a toon from 1-100 by pet battles/pet tamer daily/weekly quests (some exploration xp, but it's unavoidable). No non pet questing, no professions, no mob kills. I have hearth set at Shrine (Horde) and will buy flying from BMAH for when I reach 85 so I won't have to do the Pandaria opening questline. My question for all of you is, do you think I should do the opening questline for WoD to get a garrison and gain access to the Draenor trainers or not? Doing so kind of feels (to me) like cheating since I would probably gain a level or so in that manner. For that matter, can you use the portal to Warspear in Vol'jin's Hold without actually setting up a garrison? Any advice would be great. Btw if anyone from the site sees Sazlok-Echoisles (my tamer toon), feel free to say hello. I love talking to other battlers/tamers.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Re: Pet Battle leveling. Need some advice from the communit

Post by Paladance » May 27th, 2016, 1:01 am

I don't know about portal in Orgrimmar, but you can get to Warspear via mage's help regardless on your level. The warlocks' services work too.
Still you'd need someone who hosts a garrison with menagerie for you.

By the way, if you have Pathfinder, you can fly in Draenor straight from your Expert Riding/druid flight form. :)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » May 27th, 2016, 5:45 am

Yes, a mage portal to Stormshield will work fine.

Or you could take the portal from Timeless Isle to Gorgrond, though you might have to kill a mob or two on the way.

A Menagerie isn't the only place to level in Draenor, though:
- There are the Icespine Hatchlings all over Frostfire, though again you will probably have to kill a few mobs in the way.
- http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13123844202#7
- There are the crabs at The Moonlit Shore in Shadowmoon
- http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17610571439

However, there is no need to go to Draenor at all to reach 100. I levelled one of my characters 90-100 mostly in Halfhill. I didn't need to go to Draenor at all, but I did want to set up a garrison, and I did Nagrand to get some starter gear. Otherwise it was [pet]Cornish Rex Cat[/pet] vs. [pet]Marsh Fiddler[/pet] all the way. ;)

Kurasu
Top Rater
Pet Score:10017
BattleTag®:Kurasu#2861
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Kurasu » May 27th, 2016, 6:26 am

Gráinne wrote: - There are the crabs at The Moonlit Shore in Shadowmoon
- http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17610571439
Not an option if you are doing a low level Horde. The local Draenei along the shore are all aggressive. You'll need to wait until you're level 90 or so, and even then you will probably pull some aggro from them, so be careful.

As Horde, I'm doing my leveling in Valley Of The Four Winds; as long as you're careful around the fields where the wolves and birds are, there's lots of space to hunt critter types. They can be a bit spread out but if you buy riding when you can (or have the chauffered mount), it's not a huge deal even at lower levels.

Also, you can get Warlock portaled anywhere in Draenor even at level 1. So pet leveling from 1 to 100 is an option if you can find a safe zone. No need to do the opening questline(s).

I got an Alliance toon pulled directly out of the starting zone (starting gear and everytthing) and went from 1 to 100 on nothing but crab battles that way, 'Just cuz'.

/played of 7 days and 7 hours.

Sunborne
Top Rater
Pet Score:5096
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Sunborne » May 27th, 2016, 7:10 am

I'm going to go with Gráinne and Paladance. If you have Pathfinder you can fly at 60 (self tested; don't ask why I was there at 60 :P) in Draenor. You can skip the opening quest line via the TI cave teleport or a mage portal, but of course you'd be doing the opening Garrison quests to unlock the menagerie.

As others said you can avoid Draenor, I have some friends who stay in Vale in Pandaria and level on the pet battles by No-No in that corner of the wall.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » May 27th, 2016, 10:49 am

Gráinne wrote:Or you could take the portal from Timeless Isle to Gorgrond, though you might have to kill a mob or two on the way.
Obviously there wouldn't have been a portal there before WoD, back when my guys logged ridiculous number of hours on Timeless Isle, but I still go there occasionally and didn't know about this portal. Whereabouts is it ?

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » May 27th, 2016, 11:05 am

Underwater cave by the pirate ship on the south-south-east of Timeless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgFS1w0cMy8

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » May 27th, 2016, 11:10 am

For the statistics, I keep my DK (A) at Shrine. Several water striders/glowflies only, but I tend also to turn-in the Beast of Fable quests.
Does anyone want a [pet]Sunfur Panda[/pet]? :mrgreen:

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Blizarmy
Pet Score:4314
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Blizarmy » May 27th, 2016, 11:39 am

Get to lvl 20 the normal way (questing or whatever) then park it at Hyuna while you play another and do the daily while wearing looms and using the buff from darkmoon fair.

Well that's how my alts lvl now days anyway.

Ranok
MVP

Post by Ranok » May 27th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Gráinne wrote:Underwater cave by the pirate ship on the south-south-east of Timeless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgFS1w0cMy8
Thanks !!

Turns out that even though my 75 mage can see but can't click on the portal to Ashran in Orgrimmar, she can use the Timeless Isle to Gorgrond portal. Of course takes a water strider or some other type of water-walking, and a little luck, to get to the cave solo. It's easier for an Alliance toon as their FP is closer to cave and avoids the pack of sharks that Horde has to maneuver around.

Wouldn't want to have to do this every day.

Ergroka71
Pet Score:6599
BattleTag®:Groka#1958
Realm:Draenor-us

Post by Ergroka71 » May 27th, 2016, 6:18 pm

Thanks so much for all the replies. Like many, I was unaware of the portal from TI to Draenor, so major props for that tidbit of info. Guess I'll take the TI portal when I hit 60 and start using the Org portal at 90. I expect that I'll build a garrison when I hit 100 so I can get another Menagerie (and Ultimate Training Stone). I do already have Pathfinder achieve, so getting around will be no big deal. I'm glad to see that I am not the only player who is leveling/has leveled a toon primarily by pet battles. As always, you guys and gals are awesome.

Kurasu
Top Rater
Pet Score:10017
BattleTag®:Kurasu#2861
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Kurasu » May 27th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Ergroka71 wrote:I'm glad to see that I am not the only player who is leveling/has leveled a toon primarily by pet battles.
I may... *may*... have leveled 6 of my toons from level 85 to 90 on pet battles alone.

.... and 8 from 90 to 100.

It plays hell on your gear, but it's a great way to collect stones and level AH-fodder. ;)

Ranok
MVP

Post by Ranok » June 3rd, 2016, 8:15 pm

Ergroka71 wrote:Thanks so much for all the replies. Like many, I was unaware of the portal from TI to Draenor, so major props for that tidbit of info. Guess I'll take the TI portal when I hit 60 and start using the Org portal at 90.
Got curious and decided to check. Finished leveling an alt to 90 and turns out he can't use the Org portal yet. So I guess it's either building the Garrison that opens that up or the Garrison quest you get at 91 that sends you to Warspear. Kind of suspecting it's the 91 quest, will follow up on that.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » June 4th, 2016, 6:16 am

Ranok wrote:
Ergroka71 wrote:Thanks so much for all the replies. Like many, I was unaware of the portal from TI to Draenor, so major props for that tidbit of info. Guess I'll take the TI portal when I hit 60 and start using the Org portal at 90.
Got curious and decided to check. Finished leveling an alt to 90 and turns out he can't use the Org portal yet. So I guess it's either building the Garrison that opens that up or the Garrison quest you get at 91 that sends you to Warspear. Kind of suspecting it's the 91 quest, will follow up on that.

One has to do the opening quest line that starts in the blasted lands.
Or get a Mage to port you to war spear/ ashran and if this mage is a friend they can fly you around in a two seater to get all the flight points, treasures, exploration xp and get a few levels doing that.
Or a warlock and two other people can build a warlock portal for you to anywhere.