Damage calculation?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Erian
Pet Score:2435
Realm:Kil'jaeden-eu
Damage calculation?

Post by Erian » December 19th, 2012, 2:34 pm

I'm a little confused right now. So far I thought that percentage based bonusses to damage are calculated multiplicative, i.e.: A beast below 50% HP (+25% dmg) using a beast ability vs. a critter (+50% dmg) with a base damage of 100 would deal 100*1,25*1,5 = 187,5 dmg. Everything I saw so far seemed to indicate to this working this way.

Now I wanted to get a single hit as high as possible - mostly just for fun and to see what is possible. :D Also if they are adding very strong boss pets this might actually be helpful. Anyways, what I came up so far was this:
Prepare the Fluxfire Feline by using Supercharge (+150% dmg) and Wind Up (+10% dmg). Use Call Lightning to increase mechanical dmg bei 25%. Debuff a beast (+50% dmg) enemy with Howl for +100% dmg taken. Overall this should be a 250%*110%*125%*150%*200% = 1031,25% increase in damage. The base damage of Wind up is ~700, so the resulting hit should be ~7200 (and a crit should be >10k and that would be kinda awesome ;)). What I am seeing though are hits around 6000 +/- 200. 20-25% are just missing.

Did I understand something wrong? Make an error in the calculation?

... and do you know any other combination that would yield a higher hit? :D

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Damage calculation?

Post by Poofah » December 19th, 2012, 4:37 pm

All those modifiers are multiplicative as you say, at least to my knowledge. And your math looks fine. If you're off by 20-25%, then I would suspect that maybe Lightning Storm is not adding its 25% bonus as it states.

Erian

Post by Erian » December 19th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Ok, I just did a little testing based on your assumption - and it seems to be the right direction.
First I thought that Supercharge just overrides the +25% dmg from Lightning Storm. I tested this Wind Up of the Fluxfire Feline, Screeching Gears and Metal Fist from the Personal World Destroyer.

However, with the Metal Fist something strange happened: This thing is supposed to deal 329 * 250% = 822,5 (or 1028 if Lightning Storm would work) damage. I got the ~820 without Lightning Storm. However, with an active Lightning Storm I got ~900 on average, which is ~10% more than expected if they wouldn't stack and ~14% less than expected if they would stack. I tested this over 12 attacks with a max of 948 and a min of 863.

I double checked this with Screeching Gears (before that I always only tested 3-4 attacks, so that might have been a little off) and saw the same thing there: 246 base damage --> 615 without Lightning Storm, expected ~770 with Lightning Storm (if they would stack) and got 681 on average (10 attacks, max 709, min 612). Again 10% more than expected without stacking and ~13% less than with stacking.

Now I'm too tired to do the same testing with Wind Up of the Fluxfire Feline.

Mathew013
MVP
Pet Score:3694
Realm:Ghostlands-us

Post by Mathew013 » December 19th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Don't forget Rabid Strike. There's another +25% damage.

Jone
Pet Score:3363
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Jone » December 19th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Erian wrote:
... and do you know any other combination that would yield a higher hit? :D
My largest crit is 21099, Predatory Strike versus Marley (the fish pet from the Water Spirit). If the initial part of PS pushes the target below 25% health, the second half kicks in and hits for the target's health times crit, strong, and the PS multiplier.

Erian

Post by Erian » December 20th, 2012, 4:21 am

Mathew013 wrote:Don't forget Rabid Strike. There's another +25% damage.
Nice idea, however: There is a timing problem (even with a very cooperating enemy :D). The final part of my attack goes like this: Howl -> 2 Rounds +100% dmg -> Swap pet to Fluxfire Feline -> Howl @ 1 turn -> Wind Up = over 9000 crit!
Now if any Beast would have Rabid Strike this would work - according to wowhead no beast has. :-/

I checked the Reckless Strike as well but still no beast with this one.

What I would need is a (de)buff that increases damage dealt for the team or damage taken for 4+ rounds so it will sustain through 2 pet swaps.
Jone wrote:My largest crit is 21099, Predatory Strike versus Marley (the fish pet from the Water Spirit). If the initial part of PS pushes the target below 25% health, the second half kicks in and hits for the target's health times crit, strong, and the PS multiplier.
Hey, thats cheating! :D (given the mechanic of Predatory Strike, that "simulates" an instant kill)
Very nice though. ^^