Share pet collecting news and advice.
Monekop
Top Rater
Pet Score:13159
BattleTag®:MonekopSilk#2526
Realm:Shadowsong-eu
Quick Levelling

Post by Monekop » December 14th, 2012, 4:29 am

I have noticed that lots of guides have suggested that to fast level you bring out the weakest pet first, hit once and switch to a lvl 25 and nuke.

I DONT DO THIS, your pet gains a fraction of the XP.

Instead bring out a level 25 pet, fight a level 25 team. Your pet should be able to destroy all 3 easily if you choose the correct one, but when the third pet is down to ~ 150 HP keep passing and let yours die. Bring out your low level and finish it off. for example a level 10 against a wild team will gain in excess of 1000xp, if you do it the expected way you will get perhalps 400-500. Against Trainers your looking at >2000xp

Do this on the Fire/Water Spirit Trainer (On Water I use Bat and Croc to start, let elemetals whirlpool finish off your croc) and you gain 4000xp. Dont try it on Air/Earth, you'll get nuked. Possible on nearly every other trainer.

Avarre
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
Realm:Barthilas-us

Re: Quick Levelling

Post by Avarre » December 14th, 2012, 4:59 am

I can do it on all except Earth but i haven't tried since the nerf.

Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu

Post by Hellomynameis » December 14th, 2012, 8:48 am

I always felt that bringing out the low level pet first is kinda like a contingency plan incase your lvl25 accidentally don't die. That way the lowbie pet still get away with some xp it things didn't work out as you planned(high level pet dying).

Yarl
Pet Score:5773
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Yarl » December 14th, 2012, 8:55 am

Hellomynameis wrote:I always felt that bringing out the low level pet first is kinda like a contingency plan incase your lvl25 accidentally don't die. That way the lowbie pet still get away with some xp it things didn't work out as you planned(high level pet dying).
One time I flaked out and nearly did this with Aki the Chosen. Thankfully the otter did survival, dove, and killed my shrine fly.
My pet got an absurd amount of exp, around 4400.

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 14th, 2012, 10:03 am

Monekop wrote:Bring out your low level and finish it off.
You did it once, got lucky that your level 10 got a hit on a 25, and thought this was the way to go?
Not quite.

I level pets level 2 with my 25s. I'm not going to rely on an extreme luck that he might be able to deal the 1 damage point missing to kill the target.

Plus you never know which round your lowbie will end up jumping in, you could land there on a very bad moment and take a ton of damage. There is no XP in death.

Best scenario is to jump in with your lowbie first (as long as you're doing a fight where the very first round is not a round where you expect to take massive damage), let your first 25 kill some enemies til he dies, then put in a pet like the Zepplin and for the last hit, use an ability like Explode, that kills you and the other pet, leaving your lowbie the only survivor of the fight. Much much more reliable than hoping on a level 2 to finish up a 25... seriously.

If you don't have a pet with explode, ok keep your lowbie for the last round, but use a pet lvl 25 that has a delayed damaging ability or at least a DoT, and rely on THAT to kill off the last enemy, not on your lowbie.

If you want to rely on the pet you're leveling to finish off the mob, make sure your leveling pet is 20+. Even then, I've seen level 20s miss 3-4 times in a row on 25s. Depending which pet you're fighting, 3-4 rounds can be fatal even for a 20.
Hellomynameis wrote:I always felt that bringing out the low level pet first is kinda like a contingency plan incase your lvl25 accidentally don't die. That way the lowbie pet still get away with some xp it things didn't work out as you planned(high level pet dying).
I second that too. Hate getting a crit on an attack that wasnt supposed to kill the last enemy, but it does, and your lowbie gets 0 XP because he never got a chance to be in the fight.

Polynices
Pet Score:4688
Realm:Cenarius-us

Post by Polynices » December 14th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Yeah, that's just not correct, sorry to say. A low level pet really can't be counted on to hit a high level pet no matter how close to dead. You start with the low level pet so you are certain it will get XP and then you kill with the high level pets.

If you want to maximize the XP for the lowbie, get a Darkmoon Zeppelin and finish off the last enemy pet with Explode (can also use Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, Minfernal, or Pet Bombling: http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/mechanical/explode/). Don't finish with your lowbie.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 14th, 2012, 3:28 pm

I suggest you all check out the new Blizzard Hotfix coming.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415511706#1

This will make things so much better for leveling.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » December 14th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Talmar wrote:I suggest you all check out the new Blizzard Hotfix coming.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415511706#1

This will make things so much better for leveling.
This is probably one of the best changes that's come along so far. No more wasted experience. Just pair up a leveling pet with a couple of hard hitters and go nuts on wild pets.

Oceanaia
Top Rater
Pet Score:5376
BattleTag®:Oceanaia#1971
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Oceanaia » December 14th, 2012, 6:07 pm

NathKnave wrote:
This is probably one of the best changes that's come along so far. No more wasted experience. Just pair up a leveling pet with a couple of hard hitters and go nuts on wild pets.
Omg I agree completely!! Thank you Blizzard. Usually I bring 2 leveling pets with one of my 25's (Usually a Beast, since most of the pets I battle are critters) and it works for the most part, however, a bit slower than PvP battling and Tamers.