What is a fair price to pay for Land Shark and Sea Calf?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Sylvaine
Pet Score:11692
Realm:Kargath-us
What is a fair price to pay for Land Shark and Sea Calf?

Post by Sylvaine » April 20th, 2015, 6:05 pm

So when I saw Land Shark and Sea Calf pop up on my server (Lightning's Blade US) around the 35k price range I figured it was just someone trying to capitalize on being the first to sell it. Now a month or two later I see the price for them is still around that range and looked up the requirements to get them- almost 20-25 hours of fishing to get the tokens to buy one on average? is this correct?

If so, then I can see why these would sell for so much. But how much on average would you think is fair to spend on these, or it would be appreciated if you could let me know what they are selling for on your server.

Thanks again for any help!! :D

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: What is a fair price to pay for Land Shark and Sea Calf?

Post by Jerebear » April 20th, 2015, 7:09 pm

It completely depends on the server. On my main server, 35k is a steal sometimes. I've seen it drop to the 25k range, but it tends to stay steady in the upper 30's to low 40's most of the time. On Illidan it has been averaging around 20k when I look for it. Sometimes if you look at the miscellaneous tab instead of the battle pet tab, you will find it cheaper because the item requires rep to learn (so the price is lower to reflect a smaller buyer pool). HOWEVER you must have the correct rep to learn it if you use the item rather than a caged version.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » April 20th, 2015, 8:31 pm

Drop rate on Lunkers got way better in a patch a few months ago but you're still looking at 10 to 12 hours of fishing to get enough tokens to buy one of these pets. That's a lot of fishing. Not surprising that the AH prices are staying high.

Prices do range widely over different servers. Currently I'm seeing level 1 Land Shark as low as 12K and as high as 60K. Around 15K seems to be the norm.
If AH listing is for a Level 1 Rare, click on their icon to see if it's one that requires having Nat Pagle as a Good Friend in order to equip (these turn to Uncommon when you put them in your journal, btw). If you don't have the Pagle rep but find a good price on one of these, can get a trustworthy friend with rep to do it for you.

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Melmo » April 21st, 2015, 3:19 am

I paid 19k for my sea calf, but there's six on my realm now sitting at 14k-18k. If you want to wait for prices to go down, that's up to you. I personally don't have enough time to do pet dailies every day let alone fish as much as I'd need to for both pets, so I was more than willing to pay ;)

Keep checking your AH! I also wouldn't be picky about a sea calf breed either, as they're all close together in stats.

Sylvaine
Pet Score:11692
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Sylvaine » April 21st, 2015, 8:22 am

I appreciate the tips! I will likely wait and see how the prices fluctuate in the next month and make a purchase for both from there. Here's hoping they go down from the 35k range!!

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » April 21st, 2015, 11:04 am

Sylvaine wrote:So when I saw Land Shark and Sea Calf pop up on my server (Lightning's Blade US) around the 35k price range I figured it was just someone trying to capitalize on being the first to sell it. Now a month or two later I see the price for them is still around that range and looked up the requirements to get them- almost 20-25 hours of fishing to get the tokens to buy one on average? is this correct?

If so, then I can see why these would sell for so much. But how much on average would you think is fair to spend on these, or it would be appreciated if you could let me know what they are selling for on your server.

Thanks again for any help!! :D
What and give up on all the endless entertaining mindnumbing hours of fishing for 100 enormous fish of each of 6 species of Draenor fish just to get fishing shack 3 then fishing for the 6 lunkers to get Nat Pagle as a follower to find out he doesn't actually like you very much so then spending hours fishing for lunkers in WoD and MoP just to convince Nat you are his best friend so he can sell you a Landshark.

Looking back I'm thinking even 35k is pretty damn cheap although on Area 52 I can get one for 15k. THen again Area 52 (horde) is one of the most populated realms in WoW and thus AH pet prices are cheapest here (but finding those pesky Minfernals - near impossible). Stormrage is the Alliance version of Area 52.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » April 21st, 2015, 2:53 pm

I paid 45k for Land Shark and 21k for Lil' Leftovers, when both were fairly new out. Prices have come down a little bit, but I would have no problem paying this amount again, to save from having to do all the fishing.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » April 22nd, 2015, 6:06 pm

I got all the way to being able to fish up Lunkers by the time the drop rate was to be improved...I did a few more hours fishing and got no better than 2 Lunkers per hour..I was disappointed with my bad luck and quit...15k -20k is fair imo

Roisen
Top Rater
Pet Score:8772
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Roisen » April 23rd, 2015, 5:23 pm

A tool I've found really useful for pet pricing is The Undermine Journal (website). It shows you the average price the pet (or whatever else) has been listed for on your server and the average across all servers. It also shows how many times the item has been listed.

I was lucky enough to be given mine by a friend but I used the journal to figure out what was a reasonable cost for [pet]lil' leftovers[/pet] and it helped me avoid paying too much.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » April 24th, 2015, 7:36 pm

it heavily depends on the server - i bought them both on Kazzak (EU) for ~10k each and Im happy now that i only have to get 75 (*shiver*) lunkers more to get the mount....

Ganksinatra
Top Rater
Pet Score:7785
Realm:Alterac Mountains-us

Post by Ganksinatra » April 25th, 2015, 12:18 pm

My server has never had one cheaper that 70k.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » April 25th, 2015, 1:40 pm

I believe I paid 30k for Land Shark fairly early on, but had enough coins to get Sea Calf myself once it was added to the game.

I now see Land Shark for anywhere between 12-20k with Sea Calf a few thousand higher (since it's newer)?