Share pet collecting news and advice.
Newuser
Pet Score:4146
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu
Best Team for collecting

Post by Newuser » April 7th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Hello,

i must have failed the search - i did not find a good answer to my question:

What do you think is the best team to get through pet collecting.
I want it as fast as possible - but also as save as possible. Don't wanna use too much bandages :)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Newuser
Pet Score:4146
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Re: Best Team for collecting

Post by Newuser » April 7th, 2015, 3:49 pm

It does - but i stopped leveling pets in the wild - just wait for the menagerie when it pays of :)

What i want to do is finish my collection - so i need to catch some more (rare) wild pet's.
And this is where i usually go with a Chrominius / emerald Proto / level pet - due to the fact they are nearly unkillable.
But it takes ages to grind through the wilds... So i am looking for a faster, quicker, smoother team...

Celestial Dragon / Oily Slimeling seems to go quick, but have no heals at all...

And i just want to have a solid team for all the wild pets i encounter - so i don't need to switch them around a lot,

But eventually swapping would be the best after al...

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » April 7th, 2015, 4:03 pm

For capturing wild pets I think it depends on the level of the pets you are trying to collect.

lvl 20+ I usually go for an emerald proto-whelp. With Emerald presence and emerald dream they are almost impossible to kill which is nice when your trap seems to want to miss 20 times. I usually pair it with pets that are strong against the typical types of pets you face in that zone, especially ones that can heal. Xu-Fu eating critters etc.

If they are lower level you are going to want a Molten Corgi if you have it with Superbark or a Terrible Turnip with weakening blow specifically because these two abilities CAN NOT kill a pet. That way an accidental crit can't kill off a pet you wanted to capture.

Deadpoint
Pet Score:4562
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Deadpoint » April 7th, 2015, 9:11 pm

My default team for trapping pets is Terrible Turnip, Kun-Lai Runt and Jade Ooze. Depending on what the wild adds are in the area I might swap one on them out with another fast killing pet like a crow or darkmoon tonk.

Jaylith
Top Rater

Post by Jaylith » April 8th, 2015, 11:48 pm

I have my serious GO-TO pet team when I was capturing wild pets.

Emerald Proto-Drake with Breath, Emerald Presence, and Emerald Dream. Use the drake the take down any extras (Just shield up and heal as neeed) and then probably one breath to bring down the catch just slightly.

Switch to Terrible Turnip and use Weaking Blow and capture as needed! If the pet killed my turnip or my drake for whatever reason, I just brought in Anubisath Idol to tank it until it was captured. Worked great for me. Good luck!

Post by Guest » April 9th, 2015, 5:28 am

P/P Emerald Protowhelp
Emerald Bite, Ancient's Blessing, Emerald Dream

Anubisath Idol
Crush, Stoneskin, Deflect
------------------------------------------------------------

If the enemy team is all critters:
Zandalari Anklerender
Bite, Primal Cry, Devour

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » April 9th, 2015, 9:57 am

I think what you need to consider is what are your best TEAMS for collecting pets especially if you don't have many extra bandaids and are outside Draenor where the pet heal time is 8 minutes and not 4.

There are several add-ons which allows for you to setup several pet teams in your pet Journal. Back when I was trying to finish all my safaris and only gather rares of each pets, I would have several teams setup to ensure I could battle for awhile without bothering to heal.

Consider this - the majority of the pets in the wild are of these 4 categories - Critter, Aquatic, Beast and Flying

So most of my Teams were based on a combination of pets that were strong against these pets.

* Chrominius was strong against both Critters and Flying.
* Nexus Whelping/Emerald Proto-Drake Strong against Flying (Bonus that EPD has healing)
* Mechancials are great against Beasts
* Moths are great against most Aquatics
* Oozelings are great against Flying and their Absorb spell helps them to heal back some.
* Anubiseth Idol - Kinda a Swiss Army Knife that can do just about anything.

So in a nutshell, I would use my add-on like Pet Battle team, and have 3-5 Teams setup based on those varieties of pets mentioned. I'd always use 2 level 25 pets but open with a carry pet so I could get some leveling done. If I was in an area that was predominately critters I would probably pick a team with Chrominius that was set to his 1,1,1 abilities and maybe a Mech as the 2nd pet.

By having those 3-5 teams setup you could go 30 minutes collecting & leveling without much need for healing.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » April 9th, 2015, 4:49 pm

My go-to team that got me through most battles is...

1) Emerald Proto-Whelp (P/P)
2) Sunreaver Micro-Sentry
3) Terrible Turnip

4) Standby Pet: Turkey

There isn't a wild pet team in all of Azeroth, even through Draenor, that the Emerald Proto-Welp can't solo. The Sunreaver is just insurance in the odd event your Emerald dies. It happened to me twice... but only twice.

Emerald Proto-Whelp can be a bit slow killing some pets, but he (almost) always comes out with full health, or close to full—Due to his strong self-healing, the Proto-Whelp is the best pet if you don't want to use bandages. He has absolutely no problem taking down an entire team by himself. For this reason, you can also leave out the Sunreaver and put a carry pet in for leveling. I use Emerald Presence and Emerald Dream. For the first ability it depends on what you're fighting. Use Bite if you're fighting a lot of Flying pets; use Breath against Magic—I tend to default to Bite if I'm not sure what the enemy team will be.

Sunreaver Micro-Sentry is good for two reasons. The primary reason I use him is - he makes for very quick kills. Just do Supercharge followed by Haywire, and it will one-shot pretty much anything.The Iron Starlett would also be good for this, as it also has Supercharge. Note: Although the Sunreaver kills things quickly, he won't come out of a fight with high health. But there aren't any pets that both kill quick, and have incredible self-healing. You'll always have to make some compromise. Aside from making fast kills, being a mechanical he wipes up Beasts very well—and his Laser makes quick work of birds.

Terrible Turnip is a must have for capturing wild pets. His Weakening Blows will not kill an enemy. And he has some decent group-healing with Inspiring Song. When I use him for capturing, I go with Sunlight for the 3rd ability, because if the enemy pet is not close to death, Sunlight will increase your health-pool. If you're just having fun though, Sons of the Root is a fun ability.

Turkey - simply because some pets will kill themselves before you can cage them. Food Coma will give you two or three extra turns at caging before a suicidal pet can self-destruct. If you're leveling low level pets, start out with the turkey and hit Food Coma. This will also give you plenty of time to swap in your carry pet, and it won't even get hit (unless you're fighting a Critter, because critters are immune to stuns). Then after you've gotten your carry pet in for one round, switch to your Emerald, and clean up.

—Rx
Last edited by Abashera on April 10th, 2015, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » April 9th, 2015, 5:55 pm

When I was first pet battling, my first three pets were the gryphon (plushie), lil xt, and I think some type of cat. It gave me coverage for almost anything out there in the low levels.

For now, when I'm looking for new pets, I use the Turnip, death adder hatchling and emerald proto drake. It generally gets the job done. But if you're looking to sustain yourself for a long time, use a cat with a heal. Feline Familiar is very good for this! She has a shield and a heal.

Good luck! Catch them all!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Adumbledore
Top Rater
Pet Score:9248
BattleTag®:ADumbledore#1672
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Adumbledore » April 10th, 2015, 10:42 am

When I'm out in the world collecting wild pets, I generally use a Terrible Turnip for the pet I want to catch and then a Feline Familiar for the rest. Like Dakaf said, between the Familiar's Stoneskin ability and Devour, the healing that you'll need on the Familiar is extremely minimal.

Visit my pet battle blog: http://petpersuasion.wordpress.com/

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » April 10th, 2015, 8:54 pm

I forgot all about cats. One of the first pets I leveled was a P/S Cat I found rare in Arathi Highlands. With 305 speed & 305 power, he's something to be reckoned with.

Onedozeneyes
Top Rater
Pet Score:3661
BattleTag®:Nodice#1919
Realm:Burning Legion-us

Post by Onedozeneyes » April 26th, 2015, 9:06 pm

I find when I am out in Frostifire Ridge this team gives me the best chance to plug right along. Considering the three main pets you see are Beast, Critter, Flying. With Feline Familiar subbed in vs a set of three containing a flyer or two and Snow Cub subbed in vs any team not containing a flyer type. I find using Devour at the correct time is sufficient enough to maintain for long periods of time before having to use any pet heals. Just my two cents really. But, its definitely my go too team when I'm out and about.

Carry Pet.... using.... Whatever (lol)
Feline Familiar.... using.... Onyx Bite / Stoneskin / Devour
Snow Cub.... using.... Pounce / Screech / Devour (Any cat pet with these three moves will work in this spot) P/S or S/S breeds is my preference

Good luck!