6.1 Nerf of Daily Garrison Battles? Love or hate?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Blessed
MVP
Pet Score:4736
Realm:Zul'jin-us
6.1 Nerf of Daily Garrison Battles? Love or hate?

Post by Blessed » March 2nd, 2015, 10:29 am

What's your thoughts on the 6.1 daily garrison battle nerf?

The moved the battles down from Legendary quality to Rare quality. With that the difficulty decreased. The XP was significantly reduced to almost nothing.

I like it from the stand point, it will be easier for more people to get into Pet Battles.

However, as an established battler, I miss the difficulty. I miss the challenge of carrying a lower level pet and getting them XP.

Here's my take. I'm also do some current content Mythic raiding. I love the fact more people can get into raiding and see current content with LFR, Normal, Heroic and Mythic settings. Blizzard offers various degrees of difficulty in raid content. Why not allow us to choose the difficulty level of the battle? Legendary = Mythic. Rare = Heroic. Blue = Normal.

This concept of scale the content to difficulty level of user has merit.

What's your take?

(Edited 6.2 to 6.1 in the subject line).
Last edited by Blessed on March 2nd, 2015, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Re: 6.2 Nerf of Daily Garrison Battles? Love or hate?

Post by Kendrah » March 2nd, 2015, 10:35 am

I don't like it at all. I understand they're trying to get people into pet battles, but come on... this is endgame stuff. We had to go through all of Azeroth to get the Panda dailies and I still feel that is a better introduction to pet battling than nerfing the hell out of endgame stuff. Your first trainer would have pets around level 2 or 3 and they'd get progressively harder. Any serious pet person is going to go to all the maps for the pets anyway (and will probably do them for the hat) so I just ... I think it's a shame.

I truly didn't find them all that hard so that's part of my dislike. :roll: I know that sounds stupid.

Why couldn't they have just nerfed them for level 2 and kept level 3 where it was (since it's the same pets.) They'd still need the pet battles in Draenor to get a level 3 and that's introduction enough. If they've unlocked 3 then there's no need for the nerf.

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » March 2nd, 2015, 11:02 am

I actually sort of like the experience nerf to be honest - I sort of felt that it diminished the work that people that had leveled all of their mass of pets the "traditional" way. As to making the fights easier, it's really neither here nor there to me.

After you've "figured the battle out" the first time, the entertainment value of subsequent battles is seriously diminished.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » March 2nd, 2015, 11:50 am

I think Hootstwo nailed it on the head. Its like opening a lock. Once you've got the key, its not difficult anymore. I do however, like the idea of varied levels of pet battles, from newbie level to mythic

Beanie
Pet Score:3277
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Beanie » March 2nd, 2015, 12:48 pm

It would of made more sense (to me anyway) to keep the XP for the first battle when you win but nerf (diminishing returns maybe) any that came after.

Niaabi
Top Rater

Post by Niaabi » March 2nd, 2015, 3:24 pm

I preferred it when the garrison daily pet battles were a challenge, it was fun working out which pets to use for different battles, now you can get away with using whichever pets you like I've found. So in my opinion the nerf wasn't a good idea :(

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: 6.1 Nerf of Daily Garrison Battles? Love or hate?

Post by Luciandk » March 2nd, 2015, 3:27 pm

OP, i think you mean 6.1. or you are the doctor in disguise. :p

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » March 2nd, 2015, 4:05 pm

I'm pretty neutral on it, honestly. I had already stopped doing the garrison daily many weeks ago but now that it's easier I've started doing them again just to get leveling stones for my non combat pets.

As far as the leveling aspect, I didn't take advantage of it myself so I wasn't affected by the "nerf" but to me a daily is a daily so the initial implementation was flawed - it would've made sense if from the start it worked like the Pandaria tamers, where you could only do it once a day. So with that logic the XP should be fixed to match a normal tamer battle, but without the option to repeat it more than once a day per toon (not sure why it's not acct wide restricted either).

Vipers
Pet Score:3725

Post by Vipers » March 2nd, 2015, 4:47 pm

What's your thoughts on the 6.1 daily garrison battle nerf?

I am fine with any change affecting any process designed only to stop me from doing the things I'd rather be doing. They could nerf npcs to poor and get rid of leveling completely, for all I care. Pet battles shouldn't be about you struggling to kill something that crushes you with a single attack, it should be about strategy. Those "challenges" where your opponent resists to 90% of your damage and 2HKO's you with their breath, serves for no purpose other than to create rigid sets of rules, forcing you into extremely tight strategies that only work under very specific circumstances, and if you dislike it? Well, too bad kid, you are out of luck.

Boss fights are retarded.
Forcing you into something rigged against you is retarded.

The experience nerf? I couldn't care less, but I'd much rather see everyone with all of their pets at max lvl, not just me and 16 other folks (figuratively speaking).
What do you do with a pen that only works 90% of the time?

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » March 2nd, 2015, 5:31 pm

Peanutty wrote:I'm pretty neutral on it, honestly. I had already stopped doing the garrison daily many weeks ago but now that it's easier I've started doing them again just to get leveling stones for my non combat pets.

As far as the leveling aspect, I didn't take advantage of it myself so I wasn't affected by the "nerf" but to me a daily is a daily so the initial implementation was flawed - it would've made sense if from the start it worked like the Pandaria tamers, where you could only do it once a day. So with that logic the XP should be fixed to match a normal tamer battle, but without the option to repeat it more than once a day per toon (not sure why it's not acct wide restricted either).

You can use stone on non combat pet now?

That's news to me, I have not pay attention to pet battling for a long time, last time I tried to use a stone to update it to blue quality and the system rejected me.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » March 2nd, 2015, 6:23 pm

3wd wrote:
Peanutty wrote:I'm pretty neutral on it, honestly. I had already stopped doing the garrison daily many weeks ago but now that it's easier I've started doing them again just to get leveling stones for my non combat pets.

You can use stone on non combat pet now?

That's news to me, I have not pay attention to pet battling for a long time, last time I tried to use a stone to update it to blue quality and the system rejected me.
Yup! http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13411 - the one exception so far is Sky Lantern. But everything else can be stoned to rare AND leveled to 25.

Just remember this is only for fun, it won't show up in your armory or on this site's scores. And you can only see the levels on your non combat pets when you have them out and are showing them off.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » March 2nd, 2015, 6:32 pm

I am glad they nerfed the garrison daily battle, as now when a guildie asked what to use against it i can go oh 3X *pet family* should smack it over instead of having to walk them thruough strats involving 3 particular pets, so for that selfish reason i am glad, i wasnt using them to level pets so i dont miss the xp, and find myself doing them again for charms to stockpile.

Gorlab
Pet Score:4928

Post by Gorlab » March 5th, 2015, 9:45 am

I absolutely detest the change. There is zero challenge in garrison pet battles now which bums me out and there's no reward either in the form of good pet xp. It makes me lose most of my interest in pet battles.

Birkie
Pet Score:3729
Realm:Shu'halo-us

Post by Birkie » March 5th, 2015, 10:11 am

I don't mind that they nerfed the initial quest to unlock the pet menagerie. This allows far more players to get into pet battling who may have either missed/ignored it during MoP, recently returned to the game, or are brand new.

I liked the previous difficulty of the pet menagerie dailies and have mixed feelings on the changes. I would have preferred a choice of dailies, at various levels of difficulty (junior trainer, advanced trainer, grand master, something like that). However,if they had added (or if they do add) something with the same level of the original difficulty in the form of a Draenor tournament, similar to the one on the timeless isle, then I will no longer mind that the menagerie is so easy now.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » March 5th, 2015, 7:42 pm

I am really happy with the changes to the Garrison.

I personally found the difficulty of the garrison to be absurd. I kept wondering what Blizzard decision making process could have been. It simply made no sense to me.
The garrison content seems made around 1 thing: accessibility. The main exception to this rule was the menagerie.

I heard complains. People had difficulty unlocking it. And once they unlocked it, the quests could still be too difficult.
It had content comparable to the Celestial Tournament (some fights harder imo), which is pet battle end game. It arguably was the most difficult and least accessible content of the whole Garrison.
Previous pet content generally had requirements that made sense. One either had to complete a long quest chain to unlock the master trainers or one needed a certain amount of lvl 25 pets. This isn't the case for the Garrison. The menagerie blueprints are available to everyone! And the Garrison quests were arguably more difficult than the Master trainers.

If anything, the quests are still too difficult. I would have preferred it if the quest were similar to the Outland starter-quests in difficulty, or that the difficulty changed to your pet's level (one could have lvl 2's vs lvl 2's).

I also like the exp change. 'Bird day', for example, was simply too efficient compared to all other methods of leveling. I am surprised that it did not get hotfixed.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » March 7th, 2015, 5:23 am

Well, my thinking is this...the more the merrier

Anything that gets more people playing the game ...

I would actually like to see them make every pet cageable ( other than some achievement/quest pets)...if you camp, hunt and farm and do leveling work...why not get a possible gold reward ?

I don't mind if people cheaply buy their way in ..people do the same to get epic gear/mounts....just see the Bmah

Cyberninja
MVP
Pet Score:11058
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Cyberninja » March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Blessed, you should check out my post "Menagerie battles FAR too easy". It is VERY similar to yours only you suggest the trainers have levels whereas I suggest we, the PLAYER trainers gain levels. Maybe if somehow Blizz could combine the two... ;)