Creating a Dragonkin/Magic themed team. Need input

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Angikoneko
Top Rater
Pet Score:3313
Realm:Sargeras-us
Creating a Dragonkin/Magic themed team. Need input

Post by Angikoneko » December 9th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Hello!

I've just started using this website, so I thought I'd go ahead and see if some of you more experienced pet battles can give me some advice for my team.

I like to build themed teams. Either the same/similar 'class', or animals. And I like teams that synergize well together.

The main team I am working on is a Dragonkin/Magic oriented team. The 'Leader' is my Celestial Dragon. My problem is I'm not quite sure what would pair up well with him.

Moonlight is my weather affect of choice. So I'm trying to find pets that have fairly good survivability, and who actually get some benefit from Moonlight.

Currently I'm using:

Celestial Dragon
Nether Fairie Dragon
Crimson Lasher

I've previously tried Tiny Sporebat and Lil' Teracgosa, but I traded them out because neither has good survivability.

This team is doing alright, but I'm wondering if there's something better I can pair up with Celestial Dragon and Moonlight. I like pets that heal, since my experience with non-healing pets is that they have trouble surviving for long. I'm just not sure what pets would work well with this comp.

I've also been debating if I should get a pet that casts Sunlight, so that on the few occasions I end up against a magic team, I can have something else to cast that doesn't also boost their dmg.

Celestial is my highest lvl pet at 16. I have most of the battle pets lower lvl then that, as well as most vendor/rep/faction/Blizz store/holiday/raid pets. So I'm looking for suggestions for pets I can actually use right now.

Petjunky

Re: Creating a Dragonkin/Magic themed team. Need input

Post by Petjunky » December 9th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Angikoneko wrote:Hello!

I've just started using this website, so I thought I'd go ahead and see if some of you more experienced pet battles can give me some advice for my team.

I like to build themed teams. Either the same/similar 'class', or animals. And I like teams that synergize well together.

The main team I am working on is a Dragonkin/Magic oriented team. The 'Leader' is my Celestial Dragon. My problem is I'm not quite sure what would pair up well with him.

Moonlight is my weather affect of choice. So I'm trying to find pets that have fairly good survivability, and who actually get some benefit from Moonlight.

Currently I'm using:

Celestial Dragon
Nether Fairie Dragon
Crimson Lasher

I've previously tried Tiny Sporebat and Lil' Teracgosa, but I traded them out because neither has good survivability.

This team is doing alright, but I'm wondering if there's something better I can pair up with Celestial Dragon and Moonlight. I like pets that heal, since my experience with non-healing pets is that they have trouble surviving for long. I'm just not sure what pets would work well with this comp.

I've also been debating if I should get a pet that casts Sunlight, so that on the few occasions I end up against a magic team, I can have something else to cast that doesn't also boost their dmg.

Celestial is my highest lvl pet at 16. I have most of the battle pets lower lvl then that, as well as most vendor/rep/faction/Blizz store/holiday/raid pets. So I'm looking for suggestions for pets I can actually use right now.
Moonlight buff both healing and magic damage so you have quite a few choices. With the celestial dragon I would go with a nexus whelp and Chrominius unless you have an onyxian whelp from wow 5th aniversary. The nexus whelp is around level 20ish so you might need to level your team a bit to catch it but it shouldn't take too long.

As you get higher in pet level you will find that 80% of the time healing won't be able to keep up with the damage, especially in pvp. It it usually better to kill your opponents fast or have control abilities than have healing. If you do go with healing you're better off with heals like "cauterize" that heal for a lower base + 1/2 of last hit than you are with a higher base only heal. With moonlight and cauterize style heal you can negate hits for ~900 dmg vs negating ~600 with an ancient blessing type heal. Think of healing as dmg reduction to your health pool.

Angikoneko
Top Rater
Pet Score:3313
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Angikoneko » December 9th, 2012, 6:06 pm

I actually do have the Onyxia Whelpling from the anniversary event. I'm still trying to get Chrominius... that boss is not cooperating with me *grumblemutter*. And I planned on going for a Nexus Whelp as soon as I was high enough lvl.

I was looking at 'cauterizing' heals, namely Phoenix Hatchling. Just wasn't sure how well that pet would work out.

I don't pvp battle yet. So far it's just been leveling, collecting, and wild pets.

Bistromath
Pet Score:3055
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Bistromath » December 9th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Angikoneko wrote:Hello!

Currently I'm using:

Celestial Dragon
Nether Fairie Dragon
Crimson Lasher

Id say for a Dragon / Magic theme

Celestial Dragon
Arcane Eye
Nexus Whelpling or Lil Tarecgosa

Thsi is a team sololy based on your Theme of Dragon / Magic add another type seems to defeat what you want.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » December 9th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Emerald Whelpling or Emerald Proto-Whelp have a magic damage attack plus heals/shield, they're very sturdy and play well with moonlight. Not great pvp choices but for fighting wild pets, they're impossible to kill and can handle fights well above their current level.

Shinsui
Pet Score:12453
Realm:Nathrezim-us

Post by Shinsui » December 10th, 2012, 3:30 am

you should pick up Chrominus. Dragon pet with a mostly magic moveset

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 10th, 2012, 11:56 am

He's not Dragonkin or Magic but would benefit greatly from moonlight. I do it quite often in fact, pair my Sprite Darter Hatchling with my Molten Hatchling.

Molten Hatchling using Brittle Webbing, and Leech Life with Cauterize. He is a healing beast. (hehehe)

Molten Hatchling is the definition of survivability.