Share pet collecting news and advice.
Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us
If you were a trainer...

Post by Saasan » January 27th, 2015, 5:41 pm

If you were an NPC trainer, what team would you want to have? My main is a Belf Dk, and I prefer to play frost spec, so I would want to theme my team around that. I would need have a frost wyrm drake of some sort, of course--not sure if I would have him be an undead or dragonkin. I would also want a val'kyr pet as that is just so very Northrend (and adorable). For my third pet I am torn between a lynx or a dragonhawk. I think an undead frost lynx (ala Mr. Bigglesworth) would probably win out, but a frost dragonhawk also sounds fun. Perhaps just cut out the frost wyrm drake and use a frost/skele dragonhawk model...?

Anyone else want to share "their" NPC trainer line up? :)

Re: If you were a trainer...

Post by Guest » January 27th, 2015, 6:07 pm

I have had really 2 Mains over the years and since my Surv hunter would be boring for others to see I will list my Tankadin's NPC group, based solely on romanticism and not on their skills.
  • [pet]Mini-Tyrael[/pet] because a Pally needs an Angel to watch his 6.
    [pet]Sunreaver-Micro-Sentry[/pet] because I do remember the Sunwell/Quel'Danas and I am an engineer.
    [pet]Alterac-Brew-Pup[/pet] because I am a Dwarf and a Dwarf needs a portable keg and faithful companion to keep his toes warm on cold Dun Morogh nights.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » January 27th, 2015, 7:55 pm

I would do 3 magic based pets. So people could not just mana bomb their way through me and get crazy exp for their level 1 pets. :lol:
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » January 27th, 2015, 11:48 pm

Morlis wrote:I would do 3 magic based pets. So people could not just mana bomb their way through me and get crazy exp for their level 1 pets. :lol:
But Magic Pets are easy if you have some nice Dragonkins.

Taleranor
Pet Score:11827
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Taleranor » January 28th, 2015, 2:30 am

If I retired to be a pet trainer... my team would be druid themed.

Moonkin Hatchling
Blossoming Ancient (or Withers, or Teldrassil Sproutling)
And then a cat or bear... I'm not sure which would be more appropriate. (Winterspring Cub was one of my very first 25s..)

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 28th, 2015, 2:46 am

My trio would be:
- [pet]Giraffe Calf[/pet]. At the start of MoP I had sworn to never try pet battles. I had already collected a lot of pets, but had no interest in "Pokemon." Then one day while sitting in the AH, a gnome ran by with a Giraffe Calf trailing behind, and I absolutely had to have it. Come to find out, I had to pet battle to catch one, and thus it began...
- [pet]Emerald Whelpling[/pet]. I had one back in Vanilla and sold it to pay for epic riding, which at the time was extremely expensive. While I don't regret seling it, it took me until Cata to pick up another one.
- [pet]Rocket Chicken[/pet]. I wanted one so badly, for a long time, of all the TCG pets it was the one I coveted the most. I used to sit in Booty Bay to admire the one that sat by the TCG redemption NPC. I'd want other players to admire mine as well.

Roisen
Top Rater
Pet Score:8772
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Roisen » January 28th, 2015, 9:24 pm

Three fast rabbits.... yup

Gardenia
MVP
Pet Score:9499
Realm:Grizzly Hills-us

Post by Gardenia » January 28th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Oooh... I love this topic! Really, though, I could go one of two ways...

Gardenia is a warlock, so she could have her pets themed around her demonic minions. That leaves only a few possibilities, really, but I think I would have to go with the following three:

[pet]Netherspace Abyssal[/pet]
[pet]Fiendish Imp[/pet]
[pet]Lesser Voidcaller[/pet] (I briefly considered Servant of Demidos instead, but the Voidcaller won out because I like the way it looks better.)

...and I just realized all those are from previous Raiding With Leashes achievements.

The second possible team would have to do with her being an engineer, in which case I would also have her usual Crown of Power transmog removed to show off her spectacular goggles:

[pet]Clockwork Gnome[/pet] (Not made by engineering but still one of my favorite pets. Must be named AWESOM-O!)
[pet]Fluxfire Feline[/pet] (Also not crafted, but it's a mechanical cat and I'm a cat person.)
[pet]De-Weaponized Mechanical Companion[/pet]
WoW Twitter account: @TamerGardenia

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » January 29th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Maybe three OP Nordrassil Wisps with Blind and an added ability that heals back-line pets, and the Wisps switch out every few rounds. That would have to be pretty annoying. You could only beat the team with something that roots and self heals, like three spiders or shale hatchlings.

I'm not really sure what I would want my trainer to be. Maybe an undead Necromancer. He would laugh in a low mocking tone every time you fail... he would laugh longer than necessary. "Hmmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm.... Hmmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm..." He would revel in people's hatred of him.

He would have lines like "At least you could have made it... challenging." and "Well, that team was pretty pathetic." or "I'll give you credit for being a glutton for punishment... either that you're just stupid."

You know how every once in a while Major Payne kills your last pet when his health is low? Well mine would do something like that, but he would just end the fight and say "Do over! ...You could really use the practice anyway."

When you finally beat him and collect your goods, he'd say "Yeah... whatever" ... "I suppose I'll have to see you again tomorrow." or "I hope you learned ... something." or "Every once in a while I have to let someone win. I just hate seeing people cry."

Razielix
MVP
Pet Score:10583
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Razielix » January 30th, 2015, 10:00 am

Yeah I gotta get in on this! I'd say I'd go a bit more for nostalgia rather than class themed, though.

As they say, everyone remembers their first lol. This is the first 'Team' I got to max level (and the long way, when I first started collecting/levelling, long before I knew of power levelling and farming dailies).

Looking back I don't know how I got them there, they don't have amazing synergy and none of them are overly powerful, nor did I really know what I was doing.. But they were a good team for grinding wild pets so I could get them to max level, they could go for many fights without having to heal up.

So they hold a special place for me. They were:

[pet]Pocket Reaver[/pet] - Tanky, repairs, hard to kill, dishes out some hurt, and is one of my favourite pets.. Plus I still have flashbacks to BC being killed in Hellfire by this guy. Who wouldn't want a pocket version?
[pet]Murkalot[/pet] - Picked him up Blizzcon 2013 before battle pets could battle and they were just companions. Great support pet (I play healers almost exclusively so felt at home), but could wreck faces when needed.
[pet]Phoenix Hatchling[/pet] - Only grabbed this guy when I was helping a friend farm for a mount. Not really a strong or top pet by any stretch, I mainly stuck this guy in for the aesthetics, but has good sustain and provides residual damage for longer fights which is nice.

I'd probably lose to roaming trainers a lot, but luckily I could only be fought once a day, right? :mrgreen:
"Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire, or to challenge the Fates for another throw--a better throw--against one's destiny... What was a king to do?" - Kain

Principa
Top Rater
Pet Score:9797
BattleTag®:Principa#1346
Realm:Winterhoof-us

Post by Principa » January 30th, 2015, 11:28 am

I love having pets with similar models that cross pet type boundaries... so I would definitely play with that.

Like...

BEAR TRIO: [pet]Anodized Robo Cub[/pet] + [pet]Darkshore Cub[/pet] + [pet]Infested Bear Cub[/pet]

SQUIRREL TRIO: [pet]Blighted Squirrel[/pet] + [pet]Rabid Nut Varmint 5000[/pet] + [pet]Nuts[/pet]

or...

RAPTOR TRIO: [pet]Cogblade Raptor[/pet] + [pet]Fossilized Hatchling[/pet] + [pet]Gundrak Hatchling[/pet]

Abashera

Post by Abashera » January 30th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Razielix wrote:"...[pet]Murkalot[/pet] - Picked him up Blizzcon 2013 before battle pets could battle and they were just companions."
Wow, that makes it seem like it was just yesterday that pet-battling was introduced!

Unfortunately I've never gotten any of the Blizzcon (Murloc) pets; But I guess I've been battling from day one, now that I look back.

How time flies.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » January 30th, 2015, 2:14 pm

Abashera wrote:
Razielix wrote:"...[pet]Murkalot[/pet] - Picked him up Blizzcon 2013 before battle pets could battle and they were just companions."
Wow, that makes it seem like it was just yesterday that pet-battling was introduced!
I think this person may be mis-remembering slightly. :) Pet battles have been around since the MoP pre-patch, which was late Summer 2012. By the time Murkalot came out people were definitely pet battling - those who were will remember how flavour-of-the-month (and stupidly overpowered) he was, before the nerfs. :shock:

For me it doesn't seem like 2 and a half years though, it seems longer. I guess I've been a collector for so long I forget that they've only been able to battle for a relatively short time. :)
*edit* Looks like I mis-remembered too. :oops: MoP pre-patch was account-wide pets, battles came with MoP release in Dec 2012, so a bit over 2 years.

If the trainer version of me was based on Graven he'd be an undead shadowpriest. A battle pet lineup might include:
"A Shadowy Apparition" - [pet]Lost of Lordaeron[/pet] model. Mainly undead attacks but could have a version of [ability]Explode[/ability] that hits for magic damage.
"Shadowfiend" - [pet]Twilight Fiendling[/pet] model (but shadow form of course). Should probably have some form of [ability]Feed[/ability] or [ability]Devour[/ability].
"Acolyte of Anzu" - pet-sized Arakkoa priest with priest spells. Power Word: Shield could be a [ability]Bubble[/ability] clone, Shadow Word: Pain would be a four-round DoT, and Shadow Word: Death could be a magic-damage clone of [ability]Swallow You Whole[/ability].

The third is wishful thinking really. Doesn't quite fit with the theme, unless my npc hangs out in the ruins of Auchindoun or something. :)

Razielix
MVP
Pet Score:10583
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Razielix » January 30th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Graven wrote:
Abashera wrote:
I think this person may be mis-remembering slightly. :) Pet battles have been around since the MoP pre-patch, which was late Summer 2012. By the time Murkalot came out people were definitely pet battling - those who were will remember how flavour-of-the-month (and stupidly overpowered) he was, before the nerfs. :shock:
Ah, yeah wasn't aware of that. Well I wasn't actually playing WOW at the time during Blizzcon 2013, I was knee deep in D3 haha. So I should rather say that "I got Murkalot before *I* knew pet battling was a thing" more accurately.. And when I came back it was like oh cool I can fight with these little guys, lol :)
"Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire, or to challenge the Fates for another throw--a better throw--against one's destiny... What was a king to do?" - Kain

Abashera

Post by Abashera » January 30th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Graven wrote:
Abashera wrote:
I think this person may be mis-remembering slightly. :) Pet battles have been around since the MoP pre-patch, which was late Summer 2012.
Thanks. That's what I thought initially, and I was going to say the same. But I searched online and the wowwiki page doesn't give an [exact date] for when pet-battles began—it only talks about announcement dates. So I thought maybe I was mistaken about remembering Murkalot coming out after I had already captured all my pets. LOL I also forgot that Blizzcon is a YEARLY thing, and doesn't depend on expansion releases (shows how much I pay attention).

I think what also threw me off is that wowwiki talks about announcement dates, then doesn't tell the actual release date. Someone needs to add that information in - not me, I haven't a clue about the exact dates, which is why I went to wowwiki in the first place.

Stella3
Pet Score:4018
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Stella3 » January 30th, 2015, 11:48 pm

Three rabbits that would breed so fast you wouldn't be able to kill them fast enough.