Share pet collecting news and advice.
Denverrunner
MVP
Pet Score:6503
BattleTag®:denverrunner#1152
Realm:Arathor-us
Landshark Help

Post by Denverrunner » December 26th, 2014, 3:57 pm

I have spent 1.5 hours into farming the coins for the [pet]land shark[/pet]. I have only received one lunker in this time. I am using Worm Supreme and have an Ethereal Fishing Pole and an HightFish Cap.

I am fishing a pool outside my garrison in Shadowmoon Valley.

I know lunkers have a low drop rate, but only one in 1.5 hours seems too low. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: Landshark Help

Post by Peanutty » December 26th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Sounds like you're doing everything right (using a high level bait, fishing pole, and even the hat). They just have a painfully low drop rate, probably around 1%. So if you average out to 2 or 3 every 200 other fish, then that's pretty much normal.

Denverrunner
MVP

Post by Denverrunner » December 26th, 2014, 4:28 pm

Ok, thanks. This is painful. I would buy this in the AH in a second, but I doubt it will be in my realm anytime soon.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » December 26th, 2014, 5:37 pm

I might have gotten lucky but I was fishing in the garrison for the minnow and got 8 from there - the murlock that spawns SOMETIMES drops 2 more often then not I got some good stuff but no coins.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » December 26th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Its a long grind, expect about 300 casts PER lunker.

Morthya
Pet Score:5514
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Morthya » December 27th, 2014, 6:19 am

I've been averaging one lunker per hour - and currently have 10 coins.

Does anyone know if it's possible to go from "Stranger" to "Good Friend" with Nat using just the 50 coins required for the pet, or will I have to go back to Pandaria to get more rep?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 27th, 2014, 8:11 am

Morthya wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to go from "Stranger" to "Good Friend" with Nat using just the 50 coins required for the pet, or will I have to go back to Pandaria to get more rep?
I don't think you can reach Good Friends with Nat with just 50 lunker turn ins. Each lunker = 350 friendship; Good Friend requires 33,600 friendship; 50 lunkers is only 17,500 friendship. Feel free to correct me if my math or the friendship value is wrong. :)

The [url=https://twitter.com/TheCrafticus/status/543127904649871360]developers are working[/url] on eventually adding the [pet]Sea Calf[/pet] for 50 coins, so if you farm up enough lunkers for both the Land Shark and the Sea Calf (100 coins total = 35,000 friendship) you should have enough to reach Good Friends with Nat.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12649
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » December 27th, 2014, 9:38 am

All I know is that after fishing up 41 Lunkers to turn them in for 41 coins, the drop rate PLUMMETED.

It was a solid and steady 0.6% no matter where I fished (I would just go fish up the daily fish til I got a Lunker, pretty simple, right?)

Past four days:

0.2%

Went from getting one between 25-200 casts to going 400-600 casts before getting one. You'd think after 41 Lunkers (I have 11,000 fish casts on my achievements stats. Now considering I went from 1-600 in Pandaria doing the Nat Pagle dailies and NO other fishing, I'm not sure how many were from Draenor for the Lunkers, but it. is. a lot.) that I'd have a solid idea of the drop rate.

on El's Anglin they list it as 0.6% -- which is precisely what I recorded after 41 Lunkers. I really don't know what happened after Tuesday, but the drop rate has completely tanked.

Morthya
Pet Score:5514
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Morthya » December 27th, 2014, 10:38 am

Thanks for calculating that for me :)

I was already resigned to not being able to get my Land Shark immediately after getting 50 coins. I might go back to Pandaria though, rather than continue fishing for Lunkers, at least for a little while.

Have Bliz announced when the Sea Calf will be released?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 27th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Morthya wrote:Have Bliz announced when the Sea Calf will be released?
I haven't seen or heard of any time frame in which they plan on adding the Sea Calf, so we'll just have to hope it's sooner rather than later. :P
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 28th, 2014, 4:15 pm

I noticed I'm getting 420 Nat Pagle rep per Lunker, so Trading Post perk works here too.

I just fished one lunker up on my main. Took around 350 casts, around 0.3% like Chibimage said. I'm really thinking that the drop rate needs to be changed. The amount of fishing getting 150 coins requires is ridiculous, even the pet alone would be 17500 successful casts. It's not fun or rewarding. There should be a bigger drop rate to encourage fishing in the wild. It really should be significantly faster than fishing in your garrison for Minnows - the Cave Dweller can drop a Riding Turtle, so the only thing you're missing out on is Nat Pagle friendship which can be obtained by other means. In your garrison you can switch baits to balance which fish you get. You don't need to move. Minnows have a high drop rate for the fishing cap & the fishing pole and they drop a stack of the best lures.

I'm still struggling to decide whether I should just fish for Minnows on my alt who has Nat Pagle friendship already. Fishing up lunkers on my main just to get Nat Pagle rep just doesn't seem worth it when you consider that the Dweller can drop the TCG Riding Turtle. Yeah it's not like I'm going to see it in this life, but it seems idiotic to fish up lunkers when you calculate the amount of catches needed to get 150 coins. I hope the other pet doesn't come any time soon ;/

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » December 28th, 2014, 4:40 pm

it takes about 30 mins to fish up the three quest fish for Nat Pagle rep. thats far faster then turning in linkers for rep. Save the linkers for the pets.

Denverrunner
MVP

Post by Denverrunner » December 28th, 2014, 7:06 pm

I have yet to get a coin to drop from the Cave Dweller and I have killed 12. I think I am just going to fish in open Draenor water.

Pinyin
Pet Score:4679
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Pinyin » December 30th, 2014, 2:50 am

I've gotten two coins from the same murloc. It has happened since then.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 30th, 2014, 3:45 am

Based on Wowhead data, Cavedwellers have a ~10% chance to drop 1-2 coins. Elsanglin' lists the drop rate for Minnows to be around 2% but the sample size wasn't that big (<500).

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » December 30th, 2014, 12:16 pm

I killed six of the lunarfall cave dudes yesterday. I fished up six minnows, and killed all six of the mobs.

I got ~150 awesome fish, ~60 griefer fish, hats, poles, junk, potions, and zero coins.

The very first one I killed weeks ago dropped a coin, but since then, nothing.

RNG, why do you hate me so?

Good news is, I have hundreds of fish for cooking again.....lil leftovers anyone?

I think I'm going back to lunkers.
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 30th, 2014, 12:46 pm

I've actually not been doing too too bad with lunkers. I seem to be able to fish up 2 a day most days. Yesterday I was done with less than 100 casts (usually finish at 150-200) and I've learned to mindlessly do it while watching youtube videos or reading news articles on the side. Far more relaxing than rep farming!

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » December 30th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Darolyn wrote:. . .Good news is, I have hundreds of fish for cooking again.....lil leftovers anyone?. . .
If you're offering them, I need one. ;)
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » December 30th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Lol! I wish! I haven't gotten MINE yet! But I am actively farming. The bad news is, anecdotally, I have confirmations of over 2K feasts sitting on a friend's bank toon before she got hers.

After I get mine, I'll work on ones for sale. If I'm not totally demoralized!
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » December 30th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Might be old information, but I read that the lunkers do not drop from pools. I only fish open water, and average about one every 45 mins or so. This is going to be a LONG grind!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD