Real life pets!

A place to discuss anything and everything else.
Moritach
MVP
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
Re: Real life pets!

Post by Moritach » December 16th, 2011, 1:39 am

Ritsuka wrote:
Moritach wrote:The trick to getting good shots of cats is really to take -a lot- of pictures. In most of the pictures I take of the cats they turn out as blurs speeding past the camera. ;D
Hahaha! Yeah, I imagine that is good advice. Your Vincent and Dexter are stunning! Long hairs are my favorite, and of course black = love. Are they named after any characters?
Vincent is actually Vincent Amadeus, named after Vincent van Gogh and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Dexter Vlad is named after Dexter the tv character and Vlad Tepes. Sasha is short for Alexander Salvador, which is Alexander the Great and Salvador Dali. My hubby restricted me to only two names per cat, which is probably a good thing... ;)

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » December 19th, 2011, 6:21 am

GormanGhaste wrote:
Sunscorch wrote:I am planning on getting some African Train Millipedes for my classroom at some point, though.
Do you mean Archispirostreptus gigas? We have had them as pets in the past, and even had some luck at breeding them.
I do indeed ^_^
I've always like millipedes, and I think the giant ones would make excellent classroom pets. I know that they can secrete irritant defensive compounds, so the children probably wouldn't be able to handle them, but that's no different to many other popular choices.
You can't play with goldfish, and they're much less interesting.

Siusy
Top Rater
Pet Score:5128
BattleTag®:siusy#1631
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Siusy » December 19th, 2011, 9:19 pm

My sugar gliders, Lilo & Stitch...

~ in their 3d pumpkin pouch I made them for their Halloween cage set:

Image Image

~ in a smaller version of the holiday pic I did up of them to post around wishing everyone a Happy Holidays :>

Siusy ~ Resto Shammy, LWer, Engineer & Fluff Collector
Image Proud Suggie Mommy of Lilo & Stitch Image

Twilight
Top Rater
Pet Score:1404
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Twilight » December 26th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Moritach wrote:The trick to getting good shots of cats is really to take -a lot- of pictures. In most of the pictures I take of the cats they turn out as blurs speeding past the camera. ;D
Definitely! This applies to kids, too. ;)

Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Aislinge » January 24th, 2012, 5:51 am

At the moment I have one old, slightly silly British Shorthair who is manky from years of allergy scratching (him, not me :( ) - His name is Begoli (he picked it himself.... long story but he just refuses to come to his *real* name Ollie lolol)
begolicouch.jpg
Silly old bugger!
begolicouch.jpg (62.02KiB)Viewed 8337 times
And this is our old girl, Kiera, who passed at the age of 4 from an undiagnosed congenital heart failure :(
IMG_0710.JPG
Kiera - my much missed baby :(
IMG_0710.JPG (127.85KiB)Viewed 8337 times
And old Rosie, long gone, she passed from Cancer (common at her age, she got to 9 which is amazing for the Wolfhound x she was):
IMG_0009.JPG
This is when we first got Rosie from an elderly relative and she was overweight and not looking so great :(
IMG_0009.JPG (97.5KiB)Viewed 8337 times

Kamtastic
MVP
Pet Score:5054
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Kamtastic » January 26th, 2012, 2:23 pm

Tweek
Image Image

Callie
Image Image

Mackenzie
Image Image

My RL Babies!

Korinth
Pet Score:8851
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Korinth » January 31st, 2012, 9:19 pm

Hmmm... yes. My pet collecting goes into real life as well. XD

I have 12 snakes (11 boa constrictors and 1 African Rock Python), two amievas (jungle runners), an Iguana, and a dog. I used to have an alligator too, but she is now being used as an educational animal with a guy I know who works for the DNR. :)

(left to right) Manzana, Amala, and Momo taking a bath. They are siblings. :) They were maybe 3 months old in this picture but they are 7 months old now. I have pictures of them when they were first born (with the rest of the clutch) but it's kinda icky. :p

Kiseki:

Quetzalcoatl:

Crappy picture of me, but I have Snuggles, the alligator and my Iggy Gambit is eyeballing us. :)

Shiva:

Astro Boy. He is a Jack Russel Terrier/Husky cross. XD :

My husband with our African Rock Python, Afro:

Rose. She's a Nicaraguan Boa so even as an adult she's the size of a yearling columbian boa:

Kaa:

Coliape. She's preggers in this pic, so she's pretty fat in the butt. XD :

Belle:

Dark Carnival:

Jasper & Jasmine:

Jasper again. XD

And... this is a Reticulated python we used to have but who is also, like the alligator, now being used as an educational animal. :)

So yeah... I like pets. XD

Anthonysgrl

Post by Anthonysgrl » February 3rd, 2012, 2:04 am

no pets here, lol

Korinth

Post by Korinth » February 10th, 2012, 7:13 pm

To answer your question...

I have learned through many many years of experience and research that keeping snakes in terrariums with any substrate other than newspaper is actually not very healthy for the snakes for a multitude of reasons. Cages made specifically for snakes, like the Neodesha cages, for instance, are optimal, however, some snakes do not fare well in glass front cages and actually prefer the bins.

Most glass terrariums require screen-top lids for ventilation and to allow for overhead lighting/heat. This makes it difficult to regulate floor heat and humidity within the cage... especially since heat rises, right out of the cage. Lighting also, can cause major stress issues for snakes since they would need to sit in the hot spot to bask, but snakes like boa constrictors and ball pythons (and several other species) are nocturnal and do not enjoy sitting in direct sunlight. Using an actual light in the cage is a bad idea. You can use the UV heat emitters, but like I said before, regulating floor temperature can still be an issue.

The truth is, snakes don't absorb their heat from sitting in the sun. They absorb their heat by soaking it up from the already heated ground/rocks. Hot rocks (commonly used to heat and decorate a cage) are a death sentence for ANY reptile and should NEVER be used. The sheer number of snakes and lizards that have died because of those darned electronic rocks is unfathomable. They heat spike and are very difficult to regulate. I've actually seen snakes (not my own) with burns so bad on it's stomach that the snake had to be put to sleep. The solution, of course, are under tank heat pads. These are great! best source of heat for a snake, EVER! But, the problem is that if you dump a bunch of substrate in your cage with the UTH underneath, the snake either has to dig its way to get to the heat, or it gets a very poor source of heat unless you crank the darned thing up.

Substrate, of course, is a beast of another kind. First of all, many types of substrate are dangerous, and often times deadly for snakes. You can use peat moss, jungle bed, aspen, or cypress mulch, but they come with a whole host of problems. No matter what you do with it, mulch will bring in and hide mites and other insects... and the insects it doesn't bring in, will often times find their way into the snake cages to lay a few eggs for good measure. My peat moss (which I use for my Ameivas) seems to come with a nice collection of carpet beetle eggs... which hatch into larvae that I have to set traps for... and they are relatively nasty little buggers. You absolutely can't use anything like that ground Wallnut hull or calcite. That stuff gets stuck in the snake's vent and can kill them.... pine and cedar bedding kills snakes too. Snakes can also ingest their bedding and get plugged up and die if they do so. I feed in my cages for the sake of the snakes stress and comfort levels, and the last thing I want is for them to eat some bedding and die.

Another common problem with substrate that most people don't think about is that every single time the snake pees or poops you HAVE to clean and change the entire cage. The amount of dust, mold, mildew, and bacteria that builds up if you don't is phenomenal. That also means pulling out each and every one of your "decorations", etc. Dumping the cage, scrubbing the cage, and refilling it with new substrate. If you think that spot cleaning is enough, you've apparently never seen how much liquid comes out of a snake when it pees or poops.... especially not a 45 lb snake.... or a 100 lb snake, for that matter. Of course, if you opt to simply spot clean every time the snake does it's business, it's only a matter of time before your snake is at risk for a variety of bacterial infections, skin infections, and respiratory conditions caused by mold, mildew, etc.

So why do I use newspaper? Well, because I care about the health of my animals. Every time my snake goes to the bathroom, I can quickly and easily clean the cage, thoroughly. No trying to scrape pee-soaked substrate dust out of corners. If any of the snakes gets mites, I will know instantly because I can easily see them and they can't hide or lay eggs in the substrate, which also makes it easier to get rid of them. And quite frankly, having tried a variety of substrates with a variety of snakes, I can honestly say that the snakes just don't care. Body language says a lot with snakes. If it bothered them, I would know because I spend a lot of time with them. I know how they act when they are bothered. And if switching from substrate to newspaper bothered them, I would have known.

A lot of people make the argument "Well, now they can't dig!" I own boa constrictors. BCI's don't burrow. If they want, there is plenty of paper, however, for them to go under it if they like. Occasionally some do, but most of mine prefer not to. The newspaper also allows for more creativity, in my opinion. Unlike substrate, newspaper will hold it's shape if it's worked with. I have an "artist" snake that likes to make "caves" out of his newspaper... and then he shoves his waterbowl in front of the "cave" so he can wait all stealthily for a snack to come to the "watering hole". I also have a snake that has figured out that if he separates the paper so that there is a gap in the middle, he can pee on one piece and it will absorb all the pee and he can go sit on the dry piece. To be honest, I am not sure many of my snakes would like it if I put substrate in their cages. I have quite a few that are neat freaks now. I can tell if anyone goes to the bathroom because the instant I go into the room and they see me, they let me know so I can clean them.

Now... back to the bins. There is nothing out there that holds humidity and heat quite as well as the bins. Before switching my snakes out of terrariums, my snakes would regularly have bad sheds. Even with misting and soaking, occasionally the sheds would just be bad. Ever since I switched, I haven't had a bad shed once. In fact, I get perfect, single piece 9-10 foot long sheds off of a couple of my snakes now.

Ten foot long shed.. draped over my 5' tall iguana cage.

When I got my first snake, I kept him in a terrarium with substrate and decor. However, because of keeping him in a setup that pet stores promote (for the sake of making money, mind you), he suffered a number of health problems until I switched him to a bin with newspaper. Since converting him to the type of setup he has now, he hasn't had a single health issue.

As far as decor? The snakes don't really seem to care. I take them out enough to stimulate them, and quite frankly, when they did have stuff in their cage, they didn't really do anything with it either. They do, however, seem to enjoy going to play at the park and climbing on the jungle gym there. I've often thought about turning my extra bedroom into a play-room for the snakes with stuff to play on. Sometimes I give them large cardboard boxes to play in and they really seem to get a kick out of that. But it seems like when they have stuff in with them, they get bored with it. I think it's the excitement of something new that stimulates them more than just having a couple of fake plants in their cage. Besides, my snakes are captive bred, as were their parents. They've never been wild and are accustomed to the comforts of the modern home... which includes laying in my bed, snuggling up with my blankets, and watching TV.... and of course, my snakes don't have to kill their own food, so half of them don't even bother constricting anymore. They just gently take it from my hand. Considering that a couple of my snakes hate being in grass, I think that says a lot about how they really feel about the idea of me "naturizing" their homes.

So, think what you will about people who keep their snakes in bins with newspaper. I don't do it for me. Trust me, I would love more than anything to keep my snakes in beautiful zoo style enclosures. In fact, I LONG to have beautiful zoo style enclosures. But I choose to keep my snakes the way I do for the safety and health of my snakes. Between my husband and I, we have been keeping reptiles for 21 years. Even professional herpetologists I know come over and praise our setup. All in all, my snakes are my babies. I do not consider them mindless. I do not consider them livestock. They are individuals with personalities, likes, and dislikes. If I did not care about them, I would not care enough about their health to put my own desires for the appearance of their homes aside.

BTW, that rack of tubs in the back of those photos with the closed in sides isn't used to house snakes permanently. Someone gave that to us but we don't like how the snakes get no light with it so I just use it to hold my Afrock when I'm cleaning his cage so that he doesn't tear up the room while I'm not looking.

Maleika

Post by Maleika » February 12th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Wow! I just finished reading Korinth' s explaination about housing snakes and Im blown away! Ive always wanted snakes but was never allowed, but did have a pair of Leopard Geckos back in the day (Had them for 10 years before my female got ill and had to be put down T-T). The male got so lonely I rehomed him on trial basis to a lady with a female about the same age and they hit it off! Anyways, I totally agree with the substrate comments as I kept my little guys on newspaper as well and had a heating pad underneath the aquarium on at all times. It seem to suit them just fine. They had a few branches to climb on but never really did.

ATM I have 3 cats (Ashe-tortoiseshell(rescue), Reana-Siemese mix, Miyako-Bengal/Manx(rescue)), 3 fish tanks (a 36g with 25 tetra, 5 corys, 2 bushynose pleco; a 5g with a neon and 1 aquatic frog and a 2.5g with 1 gorgious male betta (Felix)), I personally own 3 miniature horses but help take care of a herd of 21 at my mothers and my mom has a 2yr old german shepard/catahoula rescue. (I'll post pictures once a find a few good ones and Im at home).

Ive always raised/bred/trained miniature horses since I could walk and had dogs and cats a plenty growing up :D
Don't know where Id be without my animals. They keep me together <3

Its seriously outdated but here's a link to our farm site.

http://members.shaw.ca/rainbowminis/

Korinth

Post by Korinth » February 12th, 2012, 11:15 pm

Maleika, I am really loving your minis! I've always been a fan of miniature horses. :) Yours look spectacular! My own family raises Arabian horses and I love how your minis have heads that are so delicate and styled similar to the Arabs. :)

Candy, I am sure we can agree to disagree on caging. I find that's common place between old-school thought and the new-school thought regarding snakes.
But, out of due respect, you must also keep in mind that corn snakes, like your own, are native to this country and do not require the same degree of precision in regard to humidity and heating regulation that boa constrictors and African rock pythons do. Especially when you take into consideration that the climate is extremely different here than the native habitat of boa constrictors. Keeping in mind that one tiny mistake in my heat and humidity could mean death or disease to my snakes, I am not taking chances. Also, corn snakes are a more high strung and active species of snake in general. Most colubrids are, and I would definitely not set up a colubrid the way I would set up a boa constrictor. I, personally, would have no problems with keeping a corn snake in a terrarium with branches and the like because a setup like that is more conducive to the needs of their species. Colubrids are considerably more nervous in nature than boa constrictors and do much better with hides and cage furniture than the more confident boa constrictors. Not all snakes are equal in species requirements, temperament, behavior, etc. and my setups are tailored to not only the needs of the species of snakes I keep, but also the needs of each individual snake's personality.

As for the newspaper, have no fear! The type of inks they use nowadays is organic and has proven to pose no health risks as animal bedding: http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/0136.html
It is also the most recommended snake substrate with exceptions made for snakes that have tendencies to burrow.:
http://www.cranwill.com/faq5.html
http://www.boatips.com/snakehabitatsetup/

Regardless, I don't think it is fair to judge the quality of my animals lives based off of my choice in housing. There are plenty of snakes kept in beautifully decorated cages with substrate and sticks that NEVER get handled, never get loved, never get an ounce of affection. They are kept like fish - for display only. I have rescued and rehabilitated countless boa constrictors and Burmese pythons that had nearly died after being kept in attractive terrariums which exhibited the same problems with heat and humidity management I originally had. Even my poor Dark Carnival has a stunted tail because his previous owner kept him in a tank with overhead heat that did not hold proper humidity and didn't take the time to notice that he wasn't shedding properly. When I got him, he had five layers of shed on his tail, which was already badly stunted like Chinese foot binding. He is now healthy and happy.... and lives in a tub with newspaper. He also won't let anyone but my husband or I touch him, which says something about the relationship we've established. The quality of my animals lives isn't determined by their bedrooms. It's determined by the amount of time I am willing to put into personally working with each one. Just as a child's life isn't determined by the size of their bedroom, but by the time their parents spend with them. You can have the most elaborate setup in the world, but if you are a stranger to the animal, then what really is the point of keeping it? :)

In the end, I guess I would like to urge you to try to keep an open mind. There is an extreme difference between a snake mill (like the guys who produce SnakeBytes TV - gag! I really disagree with what those guys do. Their snakes are livestock, not pets. :( ) and someone who keeps their snakes on newspaper and in bins for the animals health.

Korinth

Post by Korinth » February 13th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Candy, Egyptian Arabs are the most beautiful horses in the world, in my opinion. I grew up with an absolutely gorgeous first generation American bred Egyptian Arab (her parents were imported) who just died a few months ago from old age.

Anyway, I definitely did not intend to imply that people who have displays are all look and no touch. Or that displays are necessarily bad. Some snakes fare very well in them and I have known some people with some absolutely fabulous setups for their snakes who also take the time to spend personal time with their snakes. Unfortunately, I feel like people who handle their snakes and give them attention are actually in the minority, which makes me glad that you also handle and care well for your animals. Unfortunately, I live in the frozen north and that might have a lot to do with what I experience as far as caging and husbandry issues. Since most people around here keep their homes around 60 degrees in the winter time, and heating your homes seriously dries them out, managing heat and humidity is horrible up here. As a result, a lot of people have issues keeping their snakes healthy around here. I can't count how many snakes I have come across with horrible RI's and skin problems from dried on skin.

Regardless, I think way too many people in general get pets because they feel they are some sort of toys. Dogs, cats, reptiles, whatever. I think what bothers me the most are the people who get reptiles because they want to seem "cool" or "bad ass". :p

Maleika

Post by Maleika » February 13th, 2012, 9:20 pm

Korinth wrote:I think what bothers me the most are the people who get reptiles because they want to seem "cool" or "bad ass". :p
I find people do this a lot with dogs as well. People who get the rottweiler, chow, doberman, pitbull (which I adore, had one growing up! Miss you toby <3) and such sometimes cant actually handle the breed or just cant be bothered to actual train them. Unfortunately its always the animal that ends up suffering for the humans mistakes. T-T

At present I have a skittzy bangel cat (Miyako) that I rescued. I dont know what happened to the poor thing but she's terrified of men and runs whenever anyone gets to close to her. The previous owners had always wanted a bangel and found that having a 2yr old, a bangel kitten and another baby on the way was too much to handle >.< This was the second cat they had given away. Had her a year and a half now and shes just starting to turn around.

Anyways! Thanks for the compliments on the horses! Means a lot. My mom has been breeding/raising mini's for over 30 years and myself since I was born almost 29 years now. Sorry the site is so outdated O.o I'll try and post some more recent pics soon as Im heading into my work weekend :D

Oh...and Im jealous of the Arabs!! My neighbor has a few and I just adore them. Her 4yr old stud takes my breath away whenever I see him out and about. Was the saddest little foal I had ever seen when she brought him home from, I believe, auction... But now he's magnificent!

Maleika

Post by Maleika » March 21st, 2012, 8:27 pm

OK, Ive procrastinated long enough that we now have a 2day old foal! Mom is Mitsouko and baby..well she's not named yet. (sorry the photos are links, was the best I could figure out.)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

This is my little 30.5" gelding Rascal. He's my pride and joy even if he is a little brat. The first pic is him as a foal and the second is my fav pic of him at a year old.

Next is my 3 kitties. My beautiful fluffy siamese is named Reana (no, not after the singer >.<). The tortoiseshell, Ashe, was a rescue with a long story. She was feral when I found her and in serious need of medical attention. You'll probably notice that she only has one eye, thats because the other had to be removed. At 6months old ALL of her fit in the palm of my hand. She's 10yrs old now and happy and heathly! The last is a bangel/manx cross I took for a friend. Her name is Miyako and she's very quirky.

The rest are pics of the herd. We had some snowfall this year so I had to take a few pics. First pic I was trying to get as many of the horses in as possible.

In this pic the closest horse is Pasha (12yrs), then to the right is her daughter Dory (7yrs), left is Expo (4yrs) and Spot (18yrs) in behind. From left to right in front of the fence is Helena (24yrs), Bombilla (28yrs), Princess (22yrs), Cornflakes (29yrs) and Winterhawk (22yrs). All the appaloosas are boarded, same with Princess.

Last snow pic is of Mom and daughter from 2011. I cant remember how old mom is but as you can see, miniature horses grow a lot in a year! The white one in the front is Lucy, just barely a year old.

For comparison, This is a pic of Lucy from last spring 2011.

Ok, next is a few pics of our stallion Colors. He's 12 or 13yrs this year and 32" tall.

Again, sorry for the links >.< I couldnt figure out another way. Hope it was all worth the clicking!