Ad's for flash updates

Report bugs and share your ideas to improve WarcraftPets.
Yazhi
MVP
Pet Score:4810
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu
Ad's for flash updates

Post by Yazhi » August 17th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Hey there!

I'm pretty sure this is one of the ads that are on the site as I literally only get it on WarcraftPets, and literally everytime I log onto it now (which is a lot) I get automatically redirected to http://xxxxxxx 'Java update' and tries to get me to install something *Please don't install this!*

Has anyone else been getting this? I've read someone post saying they are getting it on mmo-champ as well just wasn't sure if I was the only one.

Think I've been successful in blocking it with AdBlock Plus fingers crossed...

Furkel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13624
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Re: Ad's for flash updates

Post by Furkel » August 17th, 2014, 1:53 pm

I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago, but being the least tech-savvy person in the world I just... hoped it would stop eventually, and then it did? Only happened on WarcraftPets, and I think I suspected one particular banner ad of causing it somehow (but again, I really have no idea what I'm talking about here).

Yazhi
MVP
Pet Score:4810
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Yazhi » August 17th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Sounds mean to say (not intended)....but I'm glad it wasn't just me!

As I mentioned in my initial post I solved this really easily with AdBlock Plus which is FREE TO USE. I use firefox and the directions are as follows:

Tools>Addons>Get addons (on the left)> search on the right Adblock Plus> install.

Reload your browser and all should be fine and back to normal :) Yes it's no fault of WarcraftPets advertisers are just getting cheeky and sneaky with their banners etc, but unfortunately sites often need the reliable more steady support that ads give in comparison to donators I guess.

Gogo more donators! :P

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » August 17th, 2014, 4:09 pm

I'm so sorry about this -- to everyone experiencing the problem. I've been in touch with our ad network and if it's not resolved soon, I'll be turning off ads altogether and looking at working with a different ad network.

We've got a lot of history with our current ad network and usually they're pretty good about pulling "bad" ad partners quickly -- but they're dropping the ball this time and forcing me to reevaluate our future together. You guys -- our users -- are my priority.

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » August 18th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Ads on the site have been disabled for roughly 18 hours. I just reenabled them after receiving the following update and apology from our ad network:

"Over the weekend we recognized an outbreak of an existing advertising malware exploit affecting ad buyers industry-wide, resulting in the delivery of ads redirecting to a pop-up ad indicating a users' Java version was out of date, which when clicked would install malware on the user's system. Unfortunately, these types of ads have a way of entering the global online advertising market from time to time, and we apologize for any issues these may have caused to you and your readers. At this time, our advisories indicate that the malicious ads are no longer being delivered to any users.

Sovrn is at the forefront of the community of companies working to ensure that your online ads are free from hacks, fraud and other attempts to hijack the system we share. We partner with leading fraud-prevention firms to catch all varieties of malicious ad traffic as quickly as we can and whenever possible to block it in advance. When these types of exploits flare and can not be caught in advance, we work proactively with our buyers and agencies to ensure that this type of creative is not delivered to our publisher partners. Again on behalf of all our buyers, agency and advertising partners we regret this industry-wide issue affected some of you over the last few days."

Again, even though WarcraftPets was not at fault, I do apologize for anyone affected by the malicious ads. We've been assured that the ads being served now are completely safe. However, if you notice any ads of a malicious or unscrupulous nature, please let me know in this thread. Thanks.