Ranking system should be out of 10 not 5.

Report bugs and share your ideas to improve WarcraftPets.
Reapersbeast
Top Rater
Pet Score:3171
Realm:Anub'arak-us
Ranking system should be out of 10 not 5.

Post by Reapersbeast » November 20th, 2012, 12:26 am

This is just my opinion but I think 4 out of 5 stars doesn't leave sufficient room to move when rating the pets! For example there's only 1 pet out of my 360+ pets and with in my experience of over 2000+ pet battles that deserves a 10 of 10 rating! And there's a few I would give a 9 out of 10 but I think when your rating only up to 5 the 20% jump down to a 4 doesnt do some pets the justice they deserve but a 10% drop to 9 of 10 would be fine!

I'm just wondering what people think on the matter! Granted I've always preferred a rating system of 1-10 rather then 1-5. so I guess I'm wondering if people dont mind the 20% difference in rankings?

Reapersbeast
Top Rater

Re: Ranking system should be out of 10 not 5.

Post by Reapersbeast » November 20th, 2012, 12:33 am

I guess I'm also wondering if people are rating the pets on "cuteness" or actual usablity? In the past cute/coolness was all that matters but now that they have pet battles it seems we should be rating for their usefullness now not anything else. Or maybe you can come out with 2 ranking systems, then you can even compare the two!

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » November 20th, 2012, 10:46 pm

For most of the existence of warcraftpets, cuteness was the only thing to rate them on--most of the votes in the system are still from those days, I don't think they wiped them. All of the top 20 pets are from before MoP. http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/top-twenty/

So, yeah, maybe they should wipe the old numbers (or archive them) and add 2 new sets of ratings, one for performance in pet battles and one for appeal..? I haven't tried to rate any pets since the number of pets exploded.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Reapersbeast
Top Rater

Post by Reapersbeast » November 22nd, 2012, 10:13 am

Yeah times are changing in WoW. Especially when it comes to pets. So I just thought I'd raise that point! I don't think they really need to wipe the old votes(archiving might be good though) but definitely make some new rating lists for pet battle performance at least!

It would definitely help to figure out which pet people should go after. Everything in WoW becomes cookie cutter before too long :(, so might as well help people figure out where to start at least. I'll be honest I didn't care much at all about pets myself until they actually became useful and now I'm up to about 25 lvl 25's. I know its always nice to get a little help from other players with lots more pet battle experience too!

Dragonling
Top Rater
Pet Score:2160
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Dragonling » November 22nd, 2012, 11:13 am

Lysi wrote:So, yeah, maybe they should wipe the old numbers (or archive them) and add 2 new sets of ratings, one for performance in pet battles and one for appeal..? I haven't tried to rate any pets since the number of pets exploded.
I fully support this idea, though it would be quite a bit of work for the site devs, especially for this time of year.

Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu

Post by Hellomynameis » November 22nd, 2012, 12:24 pm

Dragonling wrote:
Lysi wrote:So, yeah, maybe they should wipe the old numbers (or archive them) and add 2 new sets of ratings, one for performance in pet battles and one for appeal..? I haven't tried to rate any pets since the number of pets exploded.
I fully support this idea, though it would be quite a bit of work for the site devs, especially for this time of year.
Creating new sets might, but making a backup of the rating database and wiping the database clean would be almost as easy as clicking a file and deleting it, depending on the database ofc. If its MySql, a simple query would do the trick of deleting the old numbers. But the devs do have a lot of things on their plate, so even simple things are pushed down the prio-list.

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » November 23rd, 2012, 10:31 am

Hellomynameis wrote:But the devs do have a lot of things on their plate, so even simple things are pushed down the prio-list.
This. ;-)