If there were no pet PvP...

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Itty
MVP
Pet Score:3383
Realm:Stormreaver-us
If there were no pet PvP...

Post by Itty » March 22nd, 2014, 1:56 am

What would you do?
How would it affect how you feel about battle pets?

I have my own thoughts, but I'm curious about yours.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Re: If there were no pet PvP...

Post by FuxieDK » March 22nd, 2014, 4:38 am

Does my 2/5000 PvP wins answer your question? :shock:

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » March 22nd, 2014, 5:58 am

At first I didn't do it for the longest time and when I started I was getting destroyed but as I learned from my mistakes and from what my opponent was doing I got better.
It had made me a much better pet battler overall.
One can get lazy and sloppy in pve battling due to the predictability not so in pvp.
I am almost at 2500 wins! Yay!
Pet battles would of lost interest for me without pvp and I reccomed all to try it.
Yes you will get beaten at first but the fun part is figuring out why and how to stop it.
Also, if you see one really strong team copy it, it helps to get one going in pvp.
Eventually you will come up with your own teams or change up copied to to ones liking.
I didn't think I would at first but the pvp part of pet battling is best thing.
And the fact it is aynounamous with no one able to insult or brag in any type of chat allows one to keep going thru the initial learning process.
Nice not to called noob or worse which lfr was similar.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » March 22nd, 2014, 6:34 am

If there was no pet PvP Blizzard would have to push out a lot more PvE content at a faster pace to keep it interesting. Just see how they have gone about trying to make PvE more challenging. Pets are epic and legendary quality just to give us a challenge. Some pets have the 50% damage reduction buffs etc. Otherwise this would be just too easy, and it is still very easy once you "crack the puzzle" of the specific fight.

It would be tough to code for the kind of challenge PvP gives you in diversity of pets used(yes well there are a few pets you are much more likely to run into) and diversity in skill of opponents.

So without continuous PvE content released it would quickly lose any interest. Also you don't "need" to do PvP if you don't want too, so not really sure why the question comes up at all.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » March 22nd, 2014, 8:05 am

I wouldnt have so much Lesser Charms then I have now on my alts thats for sure :D

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » March 22nd, 2014, 10:55 am

Outside of raiding and arena, which are obviously scheduled activities, pet PvP is the main reason I log in now. So I guess I'd be playing a lot more Civ 5 or Hearthstone. I do not think farming the pet PvE trainers would keep me occupied for long.

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » March 22nd, 2014, 11:15 am

Maleric wrote:Outside of raiding and arena, which are obviously scheduled activities, pet PvP is the main reason I log in now. So I guess I'd be playing a lot more Civ 5 or Hearthstone. I do not think farming the pet PvE trainers would keep me occupied for long.

Exactly, same for me too.
And since my raid team is on heroics and we got the news we could be doing this same raid till December are raiding has decreased.
The end of expansion blues have hit at least my raid team hard and for not pvp pet battling I would almost think of unscribing until the next expansion.
Just not a lot to do anymore.
But, I like pvp pet battling even when I lose and get mad at the dreaded bad RNG runs.
I cannot take lfr anymore so I guess most of my Alts won't get legendary cloak three is enough for me.
And I have leveled and stoned all my pets so pvp is all I got left.

Sile9
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Sile9 » March 22nd, 2014, 5:49 pm

For sure without the PvP aspect it just wouldn't have the same depth for me. There's virtually no point in running many team comps such as Moonlight, Bleed, and Clonedance in PvE when its focus, especially with regards to the Celestial Tournament and Legendary trainers, is in assembling a line of hard counters with high accuracy attacks. Plus there's just little room for strategy when PvE pets and trainers will either follow a script or mash skills randomly - no tactical switching to account for, no attempts to counter your weather, no saving of evasion for when your Geyser is going off, no waiting until damage is received to pop a heal, etc. It's especially facepalm worthy to see many supposedly experienced trainers using Swarm when you already have a shield up.

Pet PvP, for all its faults, keeps team building integral to pet battles even after you've memorized the trainers' patterns. It offers an element of unpredictability that no amount of PvE content can ever account for.

Greenwinkle
MVP
Pet Score:5686
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Greenwinkle » March 24th, 2014, 1:51 am

I'm mostly doing pet pvp so I get can another pet.

...so not that much. ;D

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » March 24th, 2014, 5:53 am

Greenwinkle wrote:I'm mostly doing pet pvp so I get can another pet.

...so not that much. ;D

That is I felt at first with it.
Then I got my 250 wins and by then I was doing better at it.
So then I went for 1000 wins and the title trainer.
By then I really started to like it and it was a good way to level Alts got 3 to 90 that way.
Then it was what the hell lets go for 5000 and level more Alts up.
Now I am close to 2500 and still enjoy it.
Like trying to make new teams some work some don't .
And love that it is aynounamous so no taunting or trolling unlike the rest of game.

Ligre
Pet Score:3056
BattleTag®:EricS#1876
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Ligre » March 24th, 2014, 7:00 am

There's a good chance I'd cancel my WoW subscription and just play Android Netrunner, heh.

Deadlycurves
Top Rater
Pet Score:3443
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Deadlycurves » March 24th, 2014, 5:45 pm

i would still be playing WoW, collecting pets and levelling them, the pvp side of the pet battle interests me the least, though i will eventually get the pet and title its low on my list of priorities atm.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » March 24th, 2014, 6:39 pm

I'm pretty much living the idea of "no pet PVP" right now. I absolutely cannot find any enjoyment in that aspect of Pet Battles, so it's not even something I consider doing anymore. At the moment, it only serves as a constant reminder that one pet will be forever out of my reach. An unfinished task that bothers me to no end.

That said, if pet PVP wasn't a thing, I would feel highly accomplished and satisfied with my "completed" collection. All collection goals would be met (all pets max level, rare quality, etc.), and I would simply be waiting for the next expansion and round of pets to collect.

I'm a pet collector first and foremost, so even without the battling feature I adore my pets. Whenever I play WoW I always have a little follower with me. Questing, raiding, just jumping around in the bank; it's rare to find me without a pet out. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » March 25th, 2014, 5:59 am

Quintessence wrote:I'm pretty much living the idea of "no pet PVP" right now. I absolutely cannot find any enjoyment in that aspect of Pet Battles, so it's not even something I consider doing anymore. At the moment, it only serves as a constant reminder that one pet will be forever out of my reach. An unfinished task that bothers me to no end.

That said, if pet PVP wasn't a thing, I would feel highly accomplished and satisfied with my "completed" collection. All collection goals would be met (all pets max level, rare quality, etc.), and I would simply be waiting for the next expansion and round of pets to collect.

I'm a pet collector first and foremost, so even without the battling feature I adore my pets. Whenever I play WoW I always have a little follower with me. Questing, raiding, just jumping around in the bank; it's rare to find me without a pet out. :)

Quint if you truly give pvp battling a chance I think you would like it.
You have all the right pets to make some really strong teams.
You just need some experience at it.
Yes you will lose at first to those with more experience at it but learn from that you will get better.
I would be willing to help you learn if you want to you deserve that pet at least.
Best thing while learning no taunting or trolling from other players.
Once you get the hang of it, it is addictive .

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896

Post by Quintessence » March 25th, 2014, 6:39 am

Digem wrote:Quint if you truly give pvp battling a chance I think you would like it.
Depending on your definition of "truly giving PVP a chance", I've played 4 PVP matches and won 2, lost 2.

To be honest, even winning wasn't fun. Similar to how I get no pleasure from defeating a player in PVP, I didn't get any enjoyment out of beating someone in a PVP pet battle. It was just a feeling of "oh, glad it's over."

The psychological factor behind it simply outweighs any possible fun for me, unfortunately. I doubt it's something I'll overcome, but c'est la vie.

I appreciate the thought and offer though. :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » March 25th, 2014, 10:56 am

[quote="Quintessence"][quote="Digem"]Quint if you truly give pvp battling a chance I think you would like it.[/quote]

Depending on your definition of "truly giving PVP a chance", I've played 4 PVP matches and won 2, lost 2.

To be honest, even winning wasn't fun. Similar to how I get no pleasure from defeating a player in PVP, I didn't get any enjoyment out of beating someone in a PVP pet battle. It was just a feeling of "oh, glad it's over."

The psychological factor behind it simply outweighs any possible fun for me, unfortunately. I doubt it's something I'll overcome, but c'est la vie.

I appreciate the thought and offer though. :)[/quote]

I cannot stand regular pvp.
But pet pvp is different from that and why I like it.
Being it is aynounamous it is like pet tamer battles but not predictable.
One wins or loses in that too but in pvp you learn to use moves together or to counter opponents moves.
Lots of moves in the least effective moves post are actually viable moves in pvp.
I come from playing a lot of Pokemon before wow and just have come to love pvp Pet battling.
It is nothing like regular pvp which I will not do unless the game forces me , thanks a lot legendary cloak quest.
Heck it is all I need to finish off the last few holiday achievements and I cannot bring myself to do it.
All I am saying is give pet pvp a chance,paraphrasing mr. Lennon.

Regillixavatar
Pet Score:1735
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Regillixavatar » March 25th, 2014, 12:48 pm

I also came to pet battling after many, many years as a pokemon junkie ^_^. I have to say that the WoW pet battle PvP is worlds ahead of where it is in pokemon mostly becuase al pets have the same total Stats. Nothing was less fun in Pokemon than facing a full legendary team since they just had 200-300 more total stats than everyone else. On top of that, the variety of healing, dodging, and utility moves keeps battles going on longer!

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » March 25th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Quintessence wrote:To be honest, even winning wasn't fun. Similar to how I get no pleasure from defeating a player in PVP, I didn't get any enjoyment out of beating someone in a PVP pet battle. It was just a feeling of "oh, glad it's over."
I feel the same way about pet PVP. I did get my 250 wins for the Direhorn because I forced myself to do it, but I didn't enjoy the experience at all. If I won, I always had in the back of my mind that someone had to lose in order for me to win (which makes me feel bad), and of course when I lost, then I was the one who had to lose.

The thing I enjoy about PVE pet battles is exactly what a lot of people find boring - I like predictability and repetition. I like knowing what attacks will be used and when, and how to counter them.

I also think they should take the anonymity in PVP to another level - don't show the opponent's pets names. Stupid as it is I get upset facing pets named things like "Gonna" "Beat" 'You" etc. and of course you see the occasional offensive name that you can't even report.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » March 25th, 2014, 6:41 pm

I think PvP is the only thing providing any depth and/or long-term playability. PvE is not about building a good team, it's about picking 3 counter-pets. And in any case the PvE content is extremely limited. PvP is the only opportunity to fight challenging teams with intelligent comps and tactics. And from Bliz' perspective, PvP is essentially limitless content without any additional design/development.
Quintessence wrote:At the moment, it only serves as a constant reminder that one pet will be forever out of my reach.
The PvP reward system is a different issue though. I don't think the rewards were implemented well: 250 wins is just too daunting, I think it discourages people from even getting started.

worldofwargraphs has stats on achieves, I thought it was interesting:

17% of players have 250+ pets
8.6% of players have 400+ pets
1.4% of players have all 4 celestial pets
0.6% of players have Dragon Kite/EST/Spectral Tiger Cub

14.1% of players have won 10+ pvp matches
4.8% of players have won 50+ pvp matches
1.2% of players have won 250+ pvp matches
0.6% of players have Stunted Direhorn

From those figures it looks like pet pvp is pretty even with pet collecting in terms of popularity.

Sedaii
MVP
Pet Score:8199
BattleTag®:Sedaii#1645

Post by Sedaii » March 25th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Itty wrote:What would you do?
How would it affect how you feel about battle pets?

I have my own thoughts, but I'm curious about yours.
I agree with Quint- I have been a collector since early days. I love collecting them all, getting them all as rare, leveling them, doing battle with the NPCs.

I don't like PvP in any form. I take no enjoyment from beating another player. I've been forcing myself to do the 10 per week and am only at like 135/250 now.

The *only* reason I am doing pet battle PvP is for the [pet]Stunted Direhorn[/pet]. Once I get that done, I may continue to do the weekly quest for the goodie bag. I secretly fear they may introduce another reward pet for 500 wins, or 1000.....so probably should keep up with it, but I do not enjoy it at all.
Sedaii#1645

Find me on Madoran: